It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mozart Effect

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+30 more 
posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Disclaimer: The OP listen to all types of music, including agressively harsh music. This write-up is not meant to minimize any other type of music

The Mozart Effect refers to research results linking the effects of classical music to

* increase in intelligence
* reduction of violence
* heightened performance
* increase in well-being

Ive seen the Mozart-effect in action on two occassions: In a city I lived, classical music was deployed in the subway-systems of the entire city, resulting in a notable drop in violence and crime. This made the newspaper headlines back then.

A language school I worked for a decade ago, started using soft classical music throughout its courses and audio-programs and not only increased the success rates of its students but their customer base tripled.

At its height in media-coverage in the 90s, many came out of the woodwork trying to downplay or debunk the mozart-effect with fervor. One wonders why, as the positive effects would seem to be apparent to anyone. The skeptics say that classical music either has "no impact" or "only temporary impact". For this reason I provide a few studies and sources:

Improved Maze Learning in Rats

University of Wisconsin, Department of Psychology

A study of rats indicated a tangible demonstration of musical enjoyment versus a physical response to the Mozart Sonata. A number of rats were exposed in utero plus 60 days post-partum to one of the following: complex music (Mozart Piano Sonata in D major (K.448)), minimalist music (a Philip Glass composition), white noise or silence, and were then tested for five days, three trials per day, in a multiple T-maze. By Day 3, the rats exposed to the Mozart music completed the maze more rapidly and with fewer errors than the rats in the other groups. The difference increased in magnitude through Day 5. This suggests that repeated exposure to complex music induces improved spatial-temporal learning in rats.[17][18]

Political Implications

The popular impact of the theory was demonstrated on January 13, 1998, when Zell Miller, governor of Georgia, announced that his proposed state budget would include $105,000 a year to provide every child born in Georgia with a tape or CD of classical music. Miller stated "No one questions that listening to music at a very early age affects the spatial-temporal reasoning that underlies math and engineering and even chess." Miller played legislators some of Beethoven's "Ode to Joy" on a tape recorder

Music Therapy

Some music may reduce heart rate, respiratory rate, and blood pressure in patients with coronary heart disease, according to a 2009 Cochrane review of 23 clinical trials [6]. Benefits included a decrease in blood pressure, heart rate, and levels of anxiety in heart patients.

Nature Magazine

Rauscher et al. reported1 that brief exposure to a Mozart piano sonata produces a temporary increase in spatial reasoning scores, amounting to the equivalent of 8-9 IQ points on the Stanford-Binet IQ scale2.

Music, particularly Mozart, could have a therapeutic effect on epilepsy, say scientists.

Mozart's music is the most popular and researched music for helping modify attentiveness and alertness.

American Society of Hypertension:

Daily Doses of Bach and Breathing Lower Blood Pressure

How music effects your childs brain

How music brings peace

Price spoke about their project, "ChildSong Uganda," at last week's conference of the American Music Therapy Association's Western Region chapter, held at the Ala Moana Hotel.

One thing that surprised me in reading up on this subject is that classical music seems to have a more beneficial effect than contemporary "relaxing music" or modern music that was specifically designed to have a beneficial effect. Why that might be, I dont know.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   

You always remind me at my homecity skyfloating

Salzburg, where Mozart was borned years ago

enjoy it:

Nia Wind

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Great post! I have always loved classical music esp Mozart and Beethoven. I remember going to bed at night when I was around 5 or 6 and choosing the classical stations to listen to. I still do this to this day. I love listening to classical while cleaning and cooking as well. It makes me feel very calm and refreshed. S&F!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
At its height in media-coverage in the 90s, many came out of the woodwork trying to downplay or debunk the mozart-effect with fervor. One wonders why, as the positive effects would seem to be apparent to anyone. The skeptics say that classical music either has "no impact" or "only temporary impact".

I'll be a first or near-first responder and share my immediate impressions.

You sure you didn't suggest the conclusion already? Since this is a conspiracy board, I'll suggest the requisite "because it is a form of mind control for making the sheeple more passive".

One thing that surprised me in reading up on this subject is that classical music seems to have a more beneficial effect than contemporary "relaxing music" or modern music that was specifically designed to have a beneficial effect. Why that might be, I dont know.

It is highly harmonious for the most part, relying on very consonant chord constructs based on harmonic series (or close enough in current equal temprament tuning), as opposed to things like jazz or other more modern styles which tend to utilize "crunchier" combinations of tones. I think that's part of it at least.

Now that I've done that, I'll go deeper into this.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NW111

I dont have sound but I know the song and I can hear it in my head : ) I love it!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
S&F - I'd never heard of this before, it completely makes sense to me though, expecially with playing music to babies - how it would get them used to hearing patterns and how that may aid their development.

I'm not a fan of the "new age" meditative, kind of music - I think that the difference between that and classical may be the complexity of the music, where "generally" classical has many different parts and layers, the "new age" music seems to be very simple.

Any thoughts on how Jazz might affect the brain? I'm specifically thinking of the free-jazz sort of stuff.

Here's a piece I love, video isn't great...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Great thread S+F

Personally, my favourite has to be Bach

I think the masses feel daunted by the idea of classical music. They feel its too high-brow for them, thats how i used to feel.

It can be so healing. Laughter certainly is the best medicine. But classical music is a close second

Peace.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   
I have been listening to Classical Music since..forever...i have been around other people that listen to classical music...i can tell you this..

The Mozart Effect was created by classical music listeners to make themselves look smarter than the rest... to feed their egos... all classical music listeners talk about is of this Mozart effect and how it it making them smarter...

I love classical music..i love music..and honestly this Mozart Effect theory is making me sick... JUST ENJOY THE MUSIC..

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
When life is just impossible, when the world seems like a place filled with nothing but hate and suffering, when I am close to losing hope, Mozart reminds me that there is also perfect beauty to be found.

I am not sure Mozart's music makes me any smarter. But it sure helps me stay sane.

This is grand old man Vladimir Horowitz playing piano concert nr. 23, (second movement), three years before he died in 1989. It is one of the best recordings of this piece I have ever heard, even though YouTube sound isn't perfect. I wanted to share it with other Mozart lovers here at ATS.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by jokei
I'm not a fan of the "new age" meditative, kind of music - I think that the difference between that and classical may be the complexity of the music, where "generally" classical has many different parts and layers, the "new age" music seems to be very simple.

A lot of the "new age" music is just a bland nothing - like the stuff you use in supermarkets. Not all of it, of course, but a lot of it.

Its easy to make a "new age piece". Just hold down the keyboard on any key for awhile, and there you go...

Any thoughts on how Jazz might affect the brain? I'm specifically thinking of the free-jazz sort of stuff.

The brain-effects with classical music do seem to be connected to its complexities and layers.

I dont know about any research on jazz, but it would seem to connect to non-linear-ness, spontaneity etc.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Next_Heap_With
this Mozart Effect theory is making me sick...

Some might find the research/effects interesting. It might get people to listen to more of it who previously thought classical music is boring.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

this Mozart Effect theory is making me sick...

Some might find the research/effects interesting. It might get people to listen to more of it who previously thought classical music is boring.

I don't want to attract new listeners that way...all we will get afterward area a bunch of people that think classical music is making them smarter (their whole personality will change and will become egomaniacs)..

LISTEN TO MUSIC BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT .. NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by EnlightenUp
You sure you didn't suggest the conclusion already? Since this is a conspiracy board, I'll suggest the requisite "because it is a form of mind control for making the sheeple more passive".

Yeah, something to that effect. I cant stand schools that dont have paintings hanging, plants set up, music playing. In many countries schools are still much too gray, bland, lifeless.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:37 PM
link   
i like the idea,but ill convert them to 432

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   
Don't buy it.

Not saying the sources you provided are false, but who knows how many statistics they threw out just to make their side sound more believable. Maybe not.

I will say different personalities are attracted to different types of music. Could be that a smarter group of people are attracted to Mozart, and is one reason we hear of this theory all the time.

If you are also trying to make someone "smarter"...I think whatever method you use, just the process of applying it gives whatever subject a push to be smarter. In other words, it isn't the material doing it, but the experiment itself.

Isn't nearly as famous as Mozart, yet has a "soothing" effect on me. It is all about the personality traits though. You allow your brain to interpret certain musics the way it does. I could think that this song sounds like a chick-flick theme song, or a soothing melody. Whichever one I think it is, is what will influence me.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

LISTEN TO MUSIC BECAUSE YOU LIKE IT .. NOT BECAUSE YOU THINK IT WILL MAKE YOU SMARTER...

Would you allow for their use in subways and learning places?

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FritosBBQTwist

I dont mind Coldplay. It just has a different effect than mozart. It does depend on taste of course...but what music is chosen also depends on purpose. If I want to wake up on a long highway-drive I probably wont be choosing classical music.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:48 PM
link   

Would you allow for their use in subways and learning places?

NO..i don't want to force anybody to do/listen to anything...if they want to listen..they should do it by themselves..

some people just don't like classical music..i don't want to force them...

THERE IS A REASON WE HAVE MP3 Players and headphones..PRIVATE USE!!!

[edit on 30-8-2009 by Next_Heap_With]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I love classical music. While I no longer live in the Chicago area, I will always cherish outdoor classical concerts at Ravinia during the summer evenings.

I am also a person who believes that Bach, Mozart and other classical music writers had a direct line to heavenly inspiration and channeled their music from there.

Music can soothe the savage beast, especially classical!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   

NO..i don't want to force anybody to do/listen to anything...if they want to listen..they should do it by themselves..

some people just don't like classical music..i don't want to force them...

Interestingly, classical music is one of the only musical forms that people generally do not feel is an annoyance.

I dont recall anyone complaining about it in that subway-experiment I mentioned.

I think thats why its used in movies.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join