It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Mozart Effect

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

I know that if you smoke marijuana music sounds incredible.
Also food tastes better. -Pizza-
There you go. Mozart - Smoke Grass - eat pizza 1-2-3

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by IntelRetard
I find the layers and sounds in Psytrance just as relaxing for the most part. Busy, complex, and deep sounds all around. I have always listened to classical since childhood as well.

I get psy-trance/goa-trance as being more of a hypnosis than a refreshment. For dancing it can certainly be ecstatic (cant imagine dancing to Mozart)

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by ProtoplasmicTraveler
I have been a heavy metal and rock and roll drummer for 37 years now, but Beethoven really rocks. I think Kiss fans like Mozart!

Which is why I posted a Beethoven-track in the OP rather than a Mozart-track.

Interesting overall post.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Vaast
still listen to classical music (in addition to virtually all other music, barring rap and country and western)

Country has a comfortable-vibe about it. Good before visiting ones parents/grandparents.

Rap has a determined vibe about it. Good before job-interviews.

There are some hip-hop and country pieces that are really fantastic. I dont think one can rule out any sort of music. It just depends on the purpose.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Skyfloating]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by jaamaan

Listening to music while one falls asleep seems the best time to get the actual effects of certain music styles.

Stuff I loved during waking-time becomes unbearable when Im relaxed

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by chi_z
It has nothing to do with music that is hundreds of years old. It has to do with songs that are structured in accordance with music theory. You would get the same benefits listening to some modern music where the artist is heavily saturated in music theory. Most of today's music is random hand banging. If you are in to stuff like that, check out Shawn Lane or Rusty Cooley. It all has to do with following music theory. You can't just strum some random stuff on a guitar and beat random patterns on a drum set. That has a negative affect.

Thats a new angle for me. Thanks for sharing.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:46 AM
link   
reply to post by chiron613

You it is relaxing and soothing but does not increase ones intelligence.

I´d object that relaxing automatically increases awareness and creativity. So i guess it depends on how one defines "intelligence".

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by drew hempel
And then I wrote a masters thesis on music theory, social justice and radical ecology for my 2001 masters degree at the U of MN. In the past couple years I've gotten into the conspiracy angle on this

Those links you shared offer some pretty heady reading. Could you summarize your conspiracy-theory into a paragraph, for the benefit of the readers?

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by FritosBBQTwist

I will say it again. The MUSIC doesn't make you smarter. It is the person and how they interpret/analyze the music they listen to.

Smarter people may benefit more from it, but like I said, the music itself does not give out IQ points.

Only if one discounts emotional intelligence. If happier is not smarter I dont know what is

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
As a side-note, I sometimes use music while falling asleep in order to induce vivid dreaming. Ive found classical-music to be more effective in this than so-called "brain-hemisphere-synchronication" sounds such as "hemi-sync", "holosync" and whatnot.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating

Originally posted by chi_z
It has nothing to do with music that is hundreds of years old. It has to do with songs that are structured in accordance with music theory. *SNIP*

Thats a new angle for me. Thanks for sharing.

It's absolutely correct, too.

I'm sure everybody can think of a particular piece of music that has one little bit in it that they really love. It doesn't even have to be anything complex. It can just be a few simple notes. This is why. There are natural progressions in music theory that are just simply extremely pleasant to listen to. It doesn't matter what genre of music.

Some people are really into learning, and following the theory. Others - and Mozart is a very good example - just seem to naturally 'get it'. Others don't really get it at all, but they know when they hear it, and will often sample it. Nothing wrong with that if you end up with something good in it's own right.

In summary: Classical music - not necessarily. Mozart - certainly.

There are some hip-hop and country pieces that are really fantastic. I dont think one can rule out any sort of music. It just depends on the purpose.

Oh absolutely. You're just missing out if you deny any genre completely.

Good thread, thanks. Although I do find it odd that I picked the same day to watch "Amadeus" again after not having seen it for several years

[edit on 31-8-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 05:24 AM
link   

SMS-ringtones is probably the worst music humanity has ever produced.

This one annoys me, because it's very possible to create genuinely good music with very low tech devices. The people creating these ringtones are just lazy and clearly in it for the money.

www.youtube.com...

Just one example, the first one I found actually, there's many better examples.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Clickfoot

That was a pretty good example of making good stuff with low-tech.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:39 AM
link   

One thing that surprised me in reading up on this subject is that classical music seems to have a more beneficial effect than contemporary "relaxing music" or modern music that was specifically designed to have a beneficial effect. Why that might be, I dont know.

You can't "design life".
Look at this picture :
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f888d4c1f43c.jpg[/atsimg]

Is it "perfect" ? Why do I "like" it ? Because it's
"imperfect". It's the Universe without rules revealing itself. What more can there be ?

The same as that Zen teacher : after his disciple worked and cleaned the garden to "perfection", he went there and shook the tree, dried leaves fell to the ground. "Now it's perfect" he said.

"Seek not to cover the world in leather". We did just that.
People need and seek to "live" , experience life and the Universe as it is, no laws, no fences. Even if they do it unconsciously.

That music could be such a "life". Music itself is life.Everything fits, every sound, nothing is false, everything is as it should be, the same way everything fits to form a living organism.

[edit on 31-8-2009 by pai mei]

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
My maths teacher once forced us to listen to classical music, i couldn't concentrate and my brain just wouldn't work.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by pai mei

The same as that Zen teacher : after his disciple worked and cleaned the garden to "perfection", he went there and shook the tree, dried leaves fell to the ground. "Now it's perfect" he said.

Very nice.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

*Waves Hi to Skyfloating*

Hi ya - Great post!

There wasn’t a time (unless a power outage) my animals don’t have classical music playing.
I KNOW it makes a difference with my milking animals and with my younger horses (when it’s time to lock them in their stalls for a *time out*)...

I’ve absolutely no proof - other than my own - but that is enough for me, and, I’ve been milking out dairy animals and breeding and ridding performance horses long enough to have a lot of experience in the use of music and animals.

On the other hand - want to see my performance horses dance?
Play the music THEY like while in the dressage ring.

It works.

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
It is amazing!
Even if you watch the youtube comments everyone has to share a little story relative to this music or the certain symphonies uploaded and all of them are positive comments! I didn't find a single negative comment for every one of these musical pieces the OP posted in youtube!
That by itself is amazing!

Clearly this kind of music brings the best in people!
We need to hear more of this in our everyday lives!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:18 AM
link   

I apologize for being late to the thread and not reading everyone's replies before posting my comment.

I had two children in the early 80's, then ten years later had two more. With the second two, I set up a stereo in the baby's room. I tuned into the classical station, set the volume just above inaudible and let it play constantly for the first six months of their lives.

I observed that both of them slept better, were happier, didn't get sick as much and learned faster than my first set of two children which I did not do this for.

It makes me happy to see that a scientific study has been conducted to prove what I already knew. Thanks!

posted on Aug, 31 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I have my daughter listen to Mozart cd's every night, and she is the happiest baby I have ever seen, we also watch baby Einstein dvd's since she was born and she is 11 months can say and point out five colors already, and has a large vocabulary, so I firmly believe in the Mozart effect.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join