It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Navieko
Just because you weren't able to see any 'deeper meaning', doesn't mean one didn't exist. In fact, it was really quite obvious as many have already pointed out.

There is a reason why just about all the top critics are praising this movie as one of the best scifi's in a long time, ya know? ...but you surely know better, right?

It's kinda interesting how some people seem to miss all of this, and end up with their own ideas (i.e. completely different to what is actually in the movie) about what's going on. I wonder why that is.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Comparing the budget of this movie to almost any other 'Hollywood blockbuster' made these days, this movie is a low-budget film. To say you could do better is just being dishonest.

There is a reason why just about all the top critics are praising this movie as one of the best scifi's in a long time, ya know? ...but you surely know better, right?

Oh well, true that, but the only way to find out if I could make it better is someone who is willing to give me a few thousand, anyone?

Ah well, I don't listen to critics, infact I ignore them the best I can, many so called "top critics" don't admire the movies, books and music I love, so I'll criticize on my own

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:47 AM
link   
It is a pretty good movie, i enjoyed it and thought it was original.

I'd give it 7/10.

For a very funny thread about district 9 and whether you should watch districts 1-8 first... look here..

www.imdb.com...

Gets funnier is it goes on..

Not sure if you have to be a member or not?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by yeti101

why do you think your opinion of the movie differs so much from the hard to please critics who thought it was good?

My opinion is likely jaded because of said critics. The "reviews" I have read suggested this was a stellar movie and an original idea at that. Peter Jackson's name attached to this(produced/wingnut).

Add these things to my preference to scifi/fantasy and this movie was hyped. Its funny though, I watched the trailer one last time a few hours before going, and for some reason I started to think that hmmm, I've seen better trailers before.... not that great.

This movie did not do what I was hoping for or expecting, and that is, make me think.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

If you read the first line in this thread you would have noticed that the author said

District 9 is a film directed by Peter Jackson which tells a story of an alien space ship which is stationary above Johanasberg.

which is NOT true!

Why only Peter Jackson?? Why not Carolynne Cunningham? She was also

a producer!

www.rottentomatoes.com...

And if this is your argument then we might as well say that Tranformers 2 is Steven Spielberg's movie!

Why dont we call Inglourious Basterds a Weinstein movie??

Why do we call it a Tarintino movie... do you see my point??

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 02:58 PM
link   
I'm a Sci-Fi buff but I hated this movie!! The story, the aliens, everything was horrible and depressing. No babes, no great effects, this movie had nothing I liked. Sorry but I'd give it a 3 out of 10. I'm kind of shocked that P. Jackson had anything to do with this pile of crap.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Sargoth

obviously p jackson has better taste in movies than you. Considering its been critically accliamed and raked it in at the box offfice I'm tipping this movie to be nominated at the oscars (best picture category.) :p

[edit on 7-9-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargoth
I'm a Sci-Fi buff but I hated this movie!! The story, the aliens, everything was horrible and depressing. No babes, no great effects, this movie had nothing I liked.

You consider that good Sci-Fi? How sad.

I'm still debating whether to see it on the big screen. I really don't like violence. But Harry loved it - - and I generally agree with him.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by Sargoth

obviously p jackson has better taste in movies than you. Considering its been critically accliamed and raked it in at the box offfice I'm tipping this movie to be nominated at the oscars (best picture category.) :p

[edit on 7-9-2009 by yeti101]

that's your opinion, good for you! You obviously liked it, good, tell us, but don't criticize others who didn't like it.... I tell you instead that most of the nominated movies for the oscar are not of my taste..... problem?!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:22 PM
link   
I love this movie its actually very clever and has many many levels to it. I hope there is a sequel but the movie is based on a short story so unlikely.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Agreed...

I'm still debating whether to see it on the big screen. I really don't like violence.

The 'violence' has been seriously overstated. There's nothing there that's particularly bad. There's maybe two or three scenes that'll make you go 'eww', but they're not violent scenes. In some countries it has a 14 or 15 rating, and most of that, and the reason for higher ratings elsewhere, is probably because of overuse of the 'F' word. I don't have a problem with that AT ALL, but even I noticed that FAR more than the violence.

Go see it

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

Agreed...

I'm still debating whether to see it on the big screen. I really don't like violence.

The 'violence' has been seriously overstated. There's nothing there that's particularly bad. In some countries it has a 14 or 15 rating, and most of that is probably because of overuse of the 'F' word. I don't have a problem with that AT ALL, but even I noticed that FAR more than the violence.

Go see it

Thanks!

Words don't bother me. Blood or quick violence doesn't bother me - such as sword fighting in the "300". Something that would bother me is lingering torture - showing someone in great physical pain.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Words don't bother me. Blood or quick violence doesn't bother me - such as sword fighting in the "300". Something that would bother me is lingering torture - showing someone in great physical pain.

Then you won't have any problems with this movie.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I saw the movie on Saturday night, and thought it was brilliant. Not the story, not the actors, not even the special effects. What amazed me was how a sci-fi movie could be made to look so familiar to what I have seen and experienced in the past few years.
I am South African, have lived in Nigeria, grew up in Zimbabwe. I have had a nice little slice of everything African yet sometimes still feel Alien.

I am surprised the movie did so well in the States - most of the dialogue and scenes would be faintly incomprehensible to anyone not familiar with our culture.

The Nigerians are a huge problem here and it is an "IN" joke that they have been included in a sci-fi movie where they are seen as the ultimate opportunists.

Best South African movie ever? By light-years. It could have been better but part of it's brilliance was it's roughness. It is a true unpolished gem of a movie.

Thanks to all who bought a ticket a watched it - you are helping to contribute to a film industry that will hopefully make bigger and better movies - provide jobs - and bring a lot of pride into a country that needs every bit of help it can get.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Great movie - not really sci-fi as much as a social statement.

After working with a white South African who was born and raised there - I can honestly state this film is made for people like him who are basically born into racism - hopefully after seeing this film he will understand why he is racist and hopefully change his outlook.

Produced by Peter Jackson I see - and looks like there will be a sequel?

8/10 for me!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
A unique film, I thought it was brilliant. The central figure, Vikus, I thought he was hilarious in parts, a great character and I loved how he sounded when he swore. The social messages were all spot on (I lived on the outskirts of Durban for a couple of years, many years ago). I hope they don't let us down on the sequel.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:02 PM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

I don't know why you have such a huge issue with P Jackson's involvement with this movie and how this disappoints some people. What's the big deal?

I like Jackson and the fact that his production company produced this film was one of the reasons I went to see it in the first place. So what, I'm not allowed to be disappointed?

I think its great that some of you think this movie was great and had a great story and it was original an' all that. But some of us did not. I came to give my opinion. Take it as you like, but please do not be offended.

I did not get the feeling this was part of some disclosure project
I did not think this was particularly original (see past post re, Alien Nation)
I did not think the F/X were spectacular (good but not great)
There was barely any depth to the characters (the few there were)
Second half of the movie was filled with gratuitous violence

I was really hoping for some depth to the Aliens, or at least one of them. It had potential with "christopher" but they really didn't go there.

The first half of the movie gave me a headache thanks to the "documentary" style camera shaking.

Over-all I did not connect with any of the characters until the final 5 minutes of the movie, by then it was to late.

These are the reasons my wife and friends and I did not enjoy the movie

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   
i think that tptb use hollywood as a medium through which to indoctrinate people. this film is being used to gradually acclimate the public to the belief in the existence of aliens. the recent china ufo sighting i believe could also be a piece of the puzzle.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

i just find it bizzare that you would be "shocked p.jackson had anything to do with this movie."

Why would you be shocked? becuase you personally didnt like it therefor nobody else should like it and if they do they're wrong? or stupid?

His decison to have something to do with this movie had been clearly vindictated by critics reviews & box office takings.

Your shocked a producer would want to make a highly successful movie both critically & financially. Amazing

[edit on 8-9-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
Your shocked a producer would want to make a highly successful movie both critically & financially. Amazing

I also wonder whether or not their shock/disappointment to see Peter Jackson associated with this film is to do primarily because of the 'gore factor' in District 9.

It would be funny of course, considering Peter Jackson was well known for his over-the-top gory films, such as "Bad Taste" and "Braindead".

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join