It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daisy-Lola

You're a scifi buff and you've never seen Peter Jackson's other film?

Bad Taste - Superb Movie! Aliens attacking humans in New Zealand, and the government send in "The Boys" to sort them out. Excellent 5 stars from me! Not a single "babe" in it, but a few explosions and an exploding sheep.

How could I have missed it. Has it been played on US TV?

"Them" - is still one of my favorites. But - that isn't Jackson.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

Agreed! Great Movie made better even upon a second viewing!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargoth
Yes I've seen "Lord of the Rings" and "King Kong" all were superb. That's why I'm surprised Jackson is involved with this lemon. Other than a few effects at the end, "District 9" had nothing enjoyable. G.I. Joe was infinitely more entertaining. But opinions vary and that's what makes the world go round, so be it.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Sargoth]

No, Peter Jackson didnt always do the major blockbusters. As with all directors, he started off smaller.
The film 'Bad Taste' his was one of his first films
Then there was 'Meet the Feebles' which was a funny and sick version of The Muppets
After this, there was 'Braindead' which featured zombies and a lawnmower.
The he started to get into the Hollywood scenes with Heavenly Creatures (not seen that one yet) The Frightners (starring Michael J Fox) and onwards and upwards has been his career since!

Originally posted by Annee

How could I have missed it. Has it been played on US TV?

I've no idea as I'm in the UK. But, I've just checked and ebay have them available:

shop.ebay.com...

(Sorry Mods if putting a link to ebay is wrong - please delete if required)

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Here's a list of my favorite Sci-Fi/Horror/Fantasy movies of all time. not in order
The Time Machine (one of the best musical scores ever)
The Invisible Boy
Mysterious Island
The Seventh Voyage of Sinbad (Cyclops is best monster of all time)
Forbidden Planet
The Day the Earth Stood Still
The House of Dark Shadows
The Mothman Prophecies
The Exorcist
The World The Flesh and The Devil
Iron Man
The Hulk series
Jason and The Argonauts
Contact
G.I. Joe Rise Of The Cobra
Frankenstein series including Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein
Wolfman series
Predator series
Alien series
Back To The Future series
Terminator series
Matrix series
Jurassic Park series
X-Men series

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
That was an awesome movie no doubt.
I find it interesting that the humans in this movie or the MNU we perceived as the bad guys. In a way it's true how the scientist interrogate and reverse engineer the aliens and their technology. Also it somehow paints the image of how the government would react in a situation like that. In terms of, given the chance to have advance weapons they'll take it instead of working with extraterrestrial beings to find a cure for diseases or gaining higher understanding of the universe. Barbaric isn't it?

By I like the aliens son... reminds me of my kid

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I think your list may have just made me cry for mankind.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Good, cry me a river.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neilis
I simply can not believe some of you... this is quite possibly the best Sci-fi movie of the past decade..

[edit on 9/9/09 by neilis]

That is possibly the greatest exageration spoken by anyone on this list, but of course, we are all entitled to our opinions.
My opinion is that District 9 is a mediocre movie which rates below dozens of Sci-Fi movies I have seen.

Here is one list of "100 best Sci-Fi movies":
100 Best Sci-Fi Movies

The top ranked movie from the past decade is "The Matrix" from 1999 which is at position 21.

There are currently a total of 13 movies from the past decade which made this list. (Note: It is possible they haven't evaluated District 9 yet as it is not on the list. Time will tell.)

The movies from the past decade which made the list:
Position Year Movie
--------- ------ -------
21 1999 The Matrix
37 2008 Wall E
45 2004 Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
57 2002 Minority Report
60 2006 The Fountain
66 2006 Children of Men
71 2001 Donnie Darko
74 2009 Moon
75 1999 Dark City
88 2005 Serenity
90 2004 Primer
93 2009 Star Trek
95 1999 Galaxy Quest

I wish I had gone to see "Moon" rather than throwing down $10 to see "District 9". I would rank it lower than this year's Star Trek because Star Trek had a coherent story and made sense whereas District 9 was an incoherent mash of action shots that added up to a big "Yawn".

Yes, I am deliberately pressing the buttons of all the District 9 fans out there.

Anyways, on this list "Blade Runner" is ranked number #1 and "2001 A Space Oydessy" is ranked #2 best of all time. I agree with both of those selections.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by bluestreak53]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargoth
I've seen "Lord of the Rings" and "King Kong" no others, they were superb.

King Kong was the dullest 3 hours of my life I've ever spent.

I'd much rather watch "Bad Taste"

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
I definitely have problems with Jackson's King Kong. The scene of them running with the brontosaurs was absurd and should have been cut. I don't think Jack Black was the best choice for that part. The other big nosed guy wasn't the best choice either. The girl Naomi Watts was perfect. The fight with the 3 T-Rexes was incredible, although no real Gorilla would know how to fight like that, but with all those things it still stomps all over District 9.

I'm a giant Ray Harryhausen fan. I don't think there is one film of his that I didn't like. And Berrnard Herrmann is an absolute Genius at scoring the music for movies.

[edit on 10-9-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   

My opinion is that District 9 is a mediocre movie which rates below dozens of Sci-Fi movies I have seen.

Yes, I agree. I watched the movie last night, and I was very disappointed. It had been hyped up to be one of the best sci-fi movies for years, but I was bored throughout the first half of the film. In addition, I was expecting to see the aliens arrive at the start of the movie (as seen in the trailer), rather than them having been there for 20 years, and about to be evicted.

The last 30 minutes was pretty good, but I came away from the cinema somewhat confused.......

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   
reply to post by bluestreak53

bladerunner deals with the same issues as D9.

what deos it mean to be human or what makes us human?

I think there were some plot holes in D9 but what u have to understand is the aspects of the plot. (black liquid to escape etc) are just tools to drive the characters into certain situations and to address the bigger questions mentioned above.

I think alot of people have gone overboard in praise for the movie but i think this also reflects peoples desire to watch intelligent movies which there is a real lack of in scifi these days. (transformers / independance day)

oh and D9 is ranked at number 4 in IMDB sc-fi movies of all time www.imdb.com... (rated by users)

p.s i dont know how you could "get" bladerunner but not get D9. Maybe you didnt get blade runner at all and just saw it as some cop chasing "baddies".

[edit on 10-9-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mogget
I was bored throughout the first half of the film.

So bored you fell asleep?

I was expecting to see the aliens arrive at the start of the movie

They did...

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
The film is a metaphor for apartheid, an example of this were the aliens being housed in townships away from the humans. It is the reason why the movie is set in South Africa.

I'm considering watching the film, however, I find films polluted with philosophy and political thoughts in the subtext sometimes spoils the film.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

It's much less a part of the movie than the trailers would lead you to believe.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
I'm considering watching the film, however, I find films polluted with philosophy and political thoughts in the subtext sometimes spoils the film.

I find it makes a film more true to life.

Of course there is Fantasy Sci-Fi - - and Monster of the Week.

But - I love the ones that get down and dirty in humanity.

posted on Sep, 10 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
I think alot of people have gone overboard in praise for the movie but i think this also reflects peoples desire to watch intelligent movies which there is a real lack of in scifi these days. (transformers / independance day)

Well I think we agree on something. But my disappointment with District 9 will probably dissuade me from going back to the theatres to watch any science fiction movie on the basis of raving reviews.

I think time will tell how District 9 holds up as a work of art versus being just another quickly forgetable summer blockbuster.

oh and D9 is ranked at number 4 in IMDB sc-fi movies of all time www.imdb.com... (rated by users)

I realize that District 9 is currently rated as number 4 in the IMDB list of favorite sci-fi movies of all time. AND American Idol and Dancing with the Stars are two of the highest rated shows on television. That doesn't make them great works of art.

p.s i dont know how you could "get" bladerunner but not get D9. Maybe you didnt get blade runner at all and just saw it as some cop chasing "baddies".

Actually I thought District 9 might be about something more than cops chasing "prawns" but to tell you the truth, I couldn't care less because the movie was as entertaining as a trip to the Dentist's office.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   

It's much less a part of the movie than the trailers would lead you to believe....

....which can also be said of the aliens' arrival.

posted on Sep, 11 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   

It's much less a part of the movie than the trailers would lead you to believe....

....which can also be said of the aliens' arrival.

....except that the scene from the trailer is the one from the movie

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join