It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Daisy-Lola
but ignoring what I posted above, anyone notice the similarity?

One is a prawn, the other a lobster. Close

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
I just got back from seeing it and thought of our members here the whole time, well not exactly, BUT... It was well worth the money when you look at it from the vantage point of how the elite see all of us prawns or bottom feeders, consumers.

I think this is how it will all go down in the FEMA camp future. People will do anything for a canned good. Lawlessness and desensitiztion by the security forces will be just how I imagine the shadow future.

What a trip, I am buying this one on DVD to study it much deeper. For now I am blown away and think it is very deep and filled with real symbology.

I had never heard of it before driving up to the theater and deciding to go watch it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

Well I don't know where you are, but when I went to see it, every female I heard upon exiting was saying how much they enjoyed it. There were only two instances of 'graphic violence' that I remember and they were no worse than an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. If that's too much maybe you should stick to 'kids movies'?

I live in the Pacific NW and everybody I've talked to though it was way to graphic. My wife was wondering what the H*** I brought her to...and yes, she understood the social side of the movie.

Only "Two" instances of graphic violence? You and I obviously didn't watch the same movie. Only seeing "Two" instances of graphic violence shows that we as a society have become so used to graphic violence through movies, TV and other media venues that it's no longer a "Big Deal" and people have become immune to it.

Maybe you weren't listening. It was DNA based. Besides, this is nonsense. I have no idea why so many people believe we would be ABLE to reverse engineer alien tech. We wouldn't.

I was listening and paid close attention to the movie. People always say we short sell the human race...this is just another example.

They were here for 20 years!!! You honestly don't think we would have figured out how the weapons worked by taking them apart and just changing the DNA routing from them to Human? Seriously...come on now!!!

Read through these forums and you would think we could back engineer anything...why not some weapons? Give us 20 years and we would have figured it out.

Again, you weren't listening. They were a slave race. Their leaders had all died. That's why they became stranded in the first place.

Again, yes I was. The story was their ship "Broke down" which is why they needed the "Fluid" to get the ship going again...though it managed to hover just fine for 20 years...LOL!

Going from your assumptions every military, police and political leader was killed...only the idiots survived. Yea, that makes sense. Those with the highest priority to receive medical services died off, but those that were lowest survived...total farce

Again...apparently the good ship "DD Lollipop" was the one that was stranded here.

Again, see above.

So nobody knew how to use the weapons? Obviously they all knew how since they were moving them along to trade for "Cat Food"...again,

No way, no how does an advanced alien race who can travel through space not teach all their inhabitants at least a modest level of education. These guys were all DD. However, the little alien kid just happened to be able to get the alien tech put back together and working with no formal education and appeared to be smarter than any other alien there.

I don't see your point - you say they must be using sub light speed tech, then say they can't be? So how do you figure they are?

I said they must be using sub light speed technology based on the time it's going to take the ship to get home and back...3 years! Either that or again, the driver is DD.

The science behind this movie was stupid...it made no sense when you put it together. It makes them all look like complete idiots...yet they can travel through space, create super weapons and are obviously way more advanced than us. The ship needs a "Fluid" to fly away, but it was working just fine hovering for 20 years...On top of that they didn't even know what the fluid was called, but could figure out how to make it...again

I don't care if their leaders were killed off...that in and of it's self doesn't make sense unless the workers revolted...but even then a new political system would be put in place.

This was a movie about human nature first and foremost...the science aspect was secondary and used to sell the movie...nothing more, nothing less

[edit on 5-9-2009 by 750Aero]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
The part where they threaten to take the child into child custody if the father does not sign the eviction paper was chilling. Also notice how the security is so gun happy he is even made to stand down from shooting the little fella.

That was probably the part that is most important to see for what it was, because when it all comes down for us who have so far been spared, people will have to learn fast that they have NO compassion for us, none.

We will be looked at like aliens, maybe even if we refuse a vaccine, they will see us and our off spring like lower life forms that serve no purpose other than to be their targets in one way or another.

The other scenario to ponder is how when people are herded together like cattle as the aliens were in the movie, there are always groups that rise to the top fast due to their cruelty, the worst bullies become the captors on the inside. The more insane and ruthless, the higher they rise in ranks among the damned.

Selling within the compound young women and boys for goods a services, these are the things that make me think if you are meek and mild, and do not want to sit back and watch as your innocent young are tortured in this type of enviroment, then you need to consider going out with the first wave of unrest and sure sign of human enslavement.

I know it is 'just' a movie but the implications are stagering.

Hollywood is after all on the inside track about such things. We can see propaganda work in both directions. There is something about evil intent and dark ideas, they have to have a balance and that balance is always there if you look for it.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Well I liked the fact that it showed it as it probably would actually be. With use abusing the Aliens instead of the other way around. But the movie itself was terrible. Just my opinion.

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by 750Aero
Only "Two" instances of graphic violence? You and I obviously didn't watch the same movie.

Well can you explain where these scenes were so we can look them up?

Read through these forums and you would think we could back engineer anything...

Yeah, and I'm saying that's bull
In the real world it doesn't work like that.

Again, yes I was. The story was their ship "Broke down"

No, it wasn't. It was very clearly stated that they were the 'work force', basically slaves. This is why they were all trapped in the bottom of the ship, were dying, and didn't even know how to get out. It was clearly stated that their leaders had all died.

Going from your assumptions

They're not my assumptions, they are what was stated in the movie.

every military, police and political leader was killed...

...except that isn't what was stated and doesn't make any sense. You think the entire population of another planet fits into one ship now?

From IMDB:

The film opens with a documentary-style series of interviews that introduce the situation. Twenty years before, an alien ship is seen coming towards Earth and arrives above Johannesburg, South Africa. It hovers above the city for three months without any contact; eventually humans take the initiative and cut into the ship. They discover a large group of aliens who are malnourished and sick. The aliens are later assessed as apparently being all "workers", with their leadership mysteriously missing (it is hypothesized that a plague may have wiped out all of the leadership-caste).

Source

You weren't paying attention.

[edit on 5-9-2009 by Clickfoot]

posted on Sep, 5 2009 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Well can you explain where these scenes were so we can look them up?

Well, lets see: The main character cuts one of his "Fingers" off of his new limb. Multiple people being blown up with guts going everywhere (too many to even bother being recalled), the alien "Pods" being burned, military personnel being pulled apart, decapitated, Aliens being used to test weapons on and being blown to bits, etc.

Most of the movie was quite graphic in nature and way overdone. The same message could have been conveyed much better in a less graphic nature...however, it sure appeals to the "Halo/video game" crowd.

Yeah, and I'm saying that's bull
In the real world it doesn't work like that.

And, I'm disagreeing with you. The actual weapon wouldn't have to be rebuilt, the power sources wouldn't need to be duplicated, the only thing that would need to be figured out would be how to re-sequence the weapon to work with human DNA and not the aliens DNA. Now if they wanted to make new weapons, that might take a little more time, but I think you are short selling the humans ability to analyze and engineer multiple pieces of equipment that they are now in possession of....some of it not to dissimilar to our own current weapons.

No, it wasn't. It was very clearly stated that they were the 'work force', basically slaves. This is why they were all trapped in the bottom of the ship, were dying, and didn't even know how to get out. It was clearly stated that their leaders had all died.

Regardless of whether we agree with this premis...do you really think this is even vaguely a realistic scenario? Seriously...a very bad way to present an alien species and it makes it easy to show them as idiots who can't think their way out of a paper bag.

I also still contest that even though they were "Worker" class aliens they would have been educated well enough that they could have found their way off the ship, could have operated the weapons, could still have flown the ship if needed. etc...

...except that isn't what was stated and doesn't make any sense. You think the entire population of another planet fits into one ship now?

I never said that the entire population of another planet fit on one ship...however if it was full of "Worker" class individuals one would think there would be a large military presence on the ship to keep them all in line...one wouldn't want a "Worker" revolt to take place away from the home planet.

Again, the science of the movie was lacking quite a bit and they really made the movie more unbelievable to me. But then the movie is about human nature not aliens....if it was actually a movie about what took place in South Africa nobody would have went to watch it...but throw in aliens and all the sudden it's a huge hit.

BTW....why not address the "Fluid" and it's important role in the movie. You seem to ignore a lot of the science aspects that make absolutely no sense.

1. They don't know what the name of the "Fluid" actually is, but they know how to make it?
2. It took 20 years to come up with enough "Fluid" to get the ship moving again...but 3/4 of it was splattered on the guy that turned into an alien.
3. The fluid is not only a fuel source, but it magically turns humans into aliens?
4. The smartest alien is the child...who has no formal education, no teachers, no text books to learn from, nothing but what's been scrapped around in their living space?
5. The only survivors were "Workers" but the alien was able to fly up after making enough "Fluid" (most of which was wasted) and he ALONE was able to fly this huge spacecraft back to his home planet.

That's just a few of the stupid aspects of the science part of the movie...there are lots of others that I haven't even touched on here.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Well, lets see: The main character cuts one of his "Fingers" off of his new limb. Multiple people being blown up with guts going everywhere (too many to even bother being recalled), the alien "Pods" being burned, military personnel being pulled apart, decapitated, Aliens being used to test weapons on and being blown to bits, etc.

I would argue that most of that was not particularly graphic at all. The vast majority of the time, you don't see much.

And, I'm disagreeing with you.

Have you done much reverse engineering work?

the only thing that would need to be figured out would be how to re-sequence the weapon to work with human DNA and not the aliens DNA.

Again, you're making things up. You're taking what the movie didn't tell you and filling in the gaps in your head. They didn't explain how the guns work. They didn't figure it out. All they knew is they must be somehow DNA based.

We've been examining the brains of humans and other animals for a very long time now. Where's the one we've recreated? Should be easy, right?

Regardless of whether we agree with this premis...

Regardless of whether one of us actually listened to the damn movie? Not sure I get your point?

Again, the science of the movie was lacking quite a bit

Only if you invent stuff to fill in holes that they didn't even talk about, and ignore stuff that actually was in the movie.

1. They don't know what the name of the "Fluid" actually is, but they know how to make it?

Did you see anybody 'make' it? Clearly you didn't see them looking for, and finding it, in broken weapons and other equipment.

2. It took 20 years to come up with enough "Fluid" to get the ship moving again...but 3/4 of it was splattered on the guy that turned into an alien.

No, it took 20 years for the more intelligent among the aliens to work out how to get home. We don't know how long they spent gathering - not 'creating' - what they required to do it. A tiny amount was splattered on 'the guy', not 3/4 of it.

3. The fluid is not only a fuel source, but it magically turns humans into aliens?

The aliens tech is mostly biological and chemical. The movie gives you plenty of pointers in this direction. We make computers. Biological brains still exist.

4. The smartest alien is the child...

No, the smartest alien is his FATHER. You don't know anything about his education because the movie does not tell you.

Number 5 has already been explained by the above.

I have no problem with people making comments, even negative ones, but if you're going to do it, you need to base it on what the movie actually says, not what you think it says.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

I have no problem with people making comments, even negative ones, but if you're going to do it, you need to base it on what the movie actually says, not what you think it says.

...and yet even after rebutting each of his silly points beautifully... he will remain in denial and continue trashing all aspects of the film just because he cannot handle a bit of gore.

Hell, even my sister who is usually very sensitive to any graphic/gory scenes loved this movie.

Anyway, well said.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
I just got back from seeing this movie and I have to say............

It sucked!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sorry, but after reading the couple of threads here with people saying how great it was, I was thoroughly disappointed. And also very disappointed with Peter Jackson.

This was nothing more than a gore fest. There was such a great opportunity to tell a good story here, but it was an epic fail.

While the effects were okay, and the premise had potential it just simply fell short for me. All of this is of course my opinion, to each his own.

posted on Sep, 6 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Finally got around to seeing it today, and I also noticed the dualities of elitism-suppression the way our society is being spat upon by the gov and their string pulling masters. Obviously not quite to the level seen here YET, but glaringly apparent. And the gov> media propaganda piece to demonize the main character as having intercourse with the ETs and being a "terrorist" for attacking their compound couldn't help but make one think of similarities we see happen all around us to those who take a stand against these criminals....

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   

2. It took 20 years to come up with enough "Fluid" to get the ship moving again...but 3/4 of it was splattered

on the guy that turned into an alien.
4. The smartest alien is the child...who has no formal education, no teachers, no text books to learn from,

nothing but what's been scrapped around in their living space?
5. The only survivors were "Workers" but the alien was able to fly up after making enough "Fluid" (most of

which was wasted) and he ALONE was able to fly this huge spacecraft back to his home planet.

It's only a movie, so chill

A movie is not meant to have text-book accurate science (to state the obvious). It would make a rather dry movie with no artistic license and imagination at all. Usually, a movie aims to excite and shake deep emotions in the viewer and uses the plot for that. If a movie doesn't do that it fails, no one watches it (except in film festivals).

Although the accent was foreign and I found difficult to understand what the main character was saying, they made is obvious how things worked. So I'll try to answer these questions:

1. They were drones, not the inventors of the ship, knew very little, and only one (named Christopher and his friend, who got killed) did some research on the daughter ship that "fell" from the mothership. They spent 20 years and used junk computers etc to re-build it. So may be they did not know what the fluid was called, or may be they knew but called it as fluid so that a human can understand.

The director throws some light on what aliens are:
www.rottentomatoes.com...

2. The black fuild is not really a fuel. They said that it was needed to control the ship. Its some kind of DNA based stuff, their all tech is semi-organic. They don't burn oil to travel to stars. It is clear that the mothership was self-powered, it hovered for 20 years. They needed the fluid to drive the daughter ship, or to use the tractor beam of mothership (it was not made clear) and I guess even Christopher had no idea, if it would work. His plan was a hit and trial. He took a chance.

3. All their machinary used DNA interactions , so its no big deal to say that the fluid interacted with human body and changed it. Its alien tech, you can't argue, its magic to us less evolved humans.

4. His teacher is his father, who has spent 20 years tinkering with the module that fell. He grew up playing with tech, knew the hidden ship well, unlike others of the hive who were utterly stupid, animal like, ate tires and were addicted to cat-food. There are no natural rules that say all individuals of a species shall be equally intelligent. You can see humans, some are brilliant, and others, well.... they deserve only cat-food.

5. If you see closely, Christopher was unique, he wore clothes, he used his brain, others were inferior and it looks like he cared for them, but was more focused on escaping. He lied to the main character that he can fix him once he is on board the mothership. Its your assumption probably that many people are needed to fly such huge ship, but we don't know. The ship was in autopilot for ages, no one flew it.

The movie is very fast and a lot was said in 2 hours of it, so its easy to get confused. I also found it interesting how the movie depicted MSM and TPTB, it was shockingly real.....

The CG is perfect, you never notice the CG-ishness. Good topic

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

It's NOT Peter Jackson!

Do people even read or notice stuff anymore, even though more than half of

you have seen the movie you still think Peter Jackson directed it, maybe you

didn't watch the movie, I didn't look anything like a Peter Jackson film.

The directors' name is Niell Blomkamp, he was originally going to do Halo.

It was a great film!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfmanhalfamazing

It's NOT Peter Jackson!

Oh, just wait, someone here will try & debunk this as well...

2nd line...

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Just watched it and I must say that I'm quite disappointed, not at all what I expected it to be.

Especially the animations were not as good as I thought they would be, better leave complex computer animations alone and use puppets like in Jurassic Park 1, looked far more organic and realistic than anything else that has been released the past years.
I don't know why computer animations are so trendy in today's movies, it has become worse than better, and its generally following an uncreative path, plus it costs a LOT!

Well, I'm not going to comment on the story.... not satisfied at all.

So if your looking for a movie that doesn't even try to reflect a deeper meaning, and your looking for explosions and unnecessary action scenes, this is want you want to watch.

Sry for the overall negativity of my post, but if someone would give me the budget it took for this movie, I would certainly create something far more interesting...

Cant wait for the movie "Moon" and "Encounter of the fourth kind" to be released, they look like something I would want to spend my time with.

[edit on 7-9-2009 by Clairaudience]

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

They hardly had a budget!

For a first time feature film from Niell I think it is brilliant!
Look at experienced directors making crap like Transformers 2!

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clairaudience
So if your looking for a movie that doesn't even try to reflect a deeper meaning, and your looking for explosions and unnecessary action scenes, this is want you want to watch.

Just because you weren't able to see any 'deeper meaning', doesn't mean one didn't exist. In fact, it was really quite obvious as many have already pointed out.

Sry for the overall negativity of my post, but if someone would give me the budget it took for this movie, I would certainly create something far more interesting...

Comparing the budget of this movie to almost any other 'Hollywood blockbuster' made these days, this movie is a low-budget film. To say you could do better is just being dishonest.

There is a reason why just about all the top critics are praising this movie as one of the best scifi's in a long time, ya know? ...but you surely know better, right?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:28 AM
link   

It's NOT Peter Jackson!

Peter Jackson produced it through his production company wingnut. He has his name attached to this film every where you look. So he ultimately approved of it.

So say what you want, people will associate Jackson with this film as he most likely intended otherwise his name would not be all over its promotions.

This story is also not entirely original, if anyone remembers the short run tv series "Alien Nation" (1990?) Was also a movie which inspired it a few years before I believe. Anyway this story is about an alien ship of slaves crash landing and eventually the aliens integrate into our society. This series clearly deals with racial divide and prejudice.

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by PowerSlave

It sucked!!!!!!!!!!!

why do you think your opinion of the movie differs so much from the hard to please critics who thought it was good?

posted on Sep, 7 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by halfmanhalfamazing

Ah okay, well I thought it was as well funded as other Hollywood movies, my bad.... And lets not start using offensive language like "Transformers 2"

I'll have to admit, I was wrong with my opinion.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join