It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Great tribute to the movies "Fly" and "Blade Runner" and some like "Escape from Sobibor".
Very good movie.
And I am laughing so hard to the people who think this movie is racist.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
I just saw this yesterday! Excellent film.. The movie in general is referring the aliens to the blacks/slaves, and they make a film that would normally just be another sci-fi movie into a meaningful and intelligent story.

i thought it was really good. you should definitely go see it if you havent already.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by deccal
Great tribute to the movies "Fly" and "Blade Runner" and some like "Escape from Sobibor".
Very good movie.
And I am laughing so hard to the people who think this movie is racist.

well, i guess you can laugh if your like to, but the director has even mentioned that the theme of the movie is based on slaves. the "prawns" are bred to be a certain way, they live in shanties in the ghetto, they are discriminated against.

its really not hard to figure out the theme of the movie.

here is what his exact words were:

It’s no accident that the movie is set in South Africa. Writer-director Neill Blomkamp grew up in Johannesburg during the nation’s white minority rule; the blatant racism and authoritarianism of that time and place shaped his creative vision.

“It all had a huge impact on me,” Blomkamp, 29, told Chris Lee of the Los Angeles Times. “The white government and the paramilitary police, the oppressive, iron-fisted military environment....

“Those ideas wound up in every pixel in District 9.”

[edit on 8-9-2009 by calihan_12]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by calihan_12

It seems you misunderstood me. Some said, this movie is racist!
I say it is contrary, it is political allegory. And you are right.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
oh i see, i see. sorry for the misunderstanding.

i think it is a bit of both. political and also shows the extremes of racism.

alltogether i think it was a very well put together movie, with a lot of intelligence.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sargoth
I'm a Sci-Fi buff but I hated this movie!! The story, the aliens, everything was horrible and depressing. No babes, no great effects, this movie had nothing I liked. Sorry but I'd give it a 3 out of 10. I'm kind of shocked that P. Jackson had anything to do with this pile of crap.

Babes and effects does not a Sci-Fi movie make. I think you've mistaken Sci-Fi for Hollywood Pap with computers!

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Aparthied is only a backdrop in the movie.

The movie is about what it means to be human.

The main story point is that the main character becomes a better human as he becomes less human.

This is the "mile in another man's shoes" story.

I enjoyed it. I found it no more or less violent than many other films I've seen. I was in someways more personally violent, and perhaps this is what people are picking up. The violence the movie depicts is the type of violence that every person is capable of, and that adds a tinge of personal disturbance to images when you've certainly seen more gory. Only this wasn't horror-sex-gore, or pretty-gore.

[edit on 2009/9/8 by Aeons]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Hot babes, great effects and a good musical score help make a movie for me. Go see "G. I. Joe" for example, now that's a Great Sci-Fi flick! 2 gorgeous honeys, a good story, good characters, and some of the best hi-tech stuff I've ever seen. G.I.-Joe=8 District 9=3 Anyone see it yet? How do you compare it to District 9?

[edit on 8-9-2009 by Sargoth]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Oh Dear Asimov, I Pray That You Protect Sci-Fi from People Who Think That GI Joe is Sci-Fi at all, let alone GOOD Sci-Fi! Amen.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Hot babes, great effects and a good musical score help make a movie for me. Go see "G. I. Joe" for example, now that's a Great Sci-Fi flick! 2 gorgeous honeys, a good story, good characters, and some of the best hi-tech stuff I've ever seen. G.I.-Joe=8 District 9=3 Anyone see it yet? How do you compare it to District 9?
[edit on 8-9-2009 by Sargoth]

While this is a comparison of apples and oranges, I would agree that GI Joe was a much more enjoyable movie that District 9. I don't think I would classify GI Joe as Science Fiction although it certainly had quite a bit of "future technology" speculation in it. I acknowledge that District 9 was a lower budget movie, but that is no excuse for such a totally lame story line. Okay, perhaps District 9 was so laden with deep, deep meaning and symbolism, it didn't have time for story or character (yeah, really).

I would give District 9 a 3 or 4 and GI Joe a 6 or 7.
For me, District 9 was a big waste of money, except I did enjoy seeing South Africa as a location for a movie. Maybe I was expecting too much.

It is a joke to compare District 9 with Blade Runner. Blade Runner is a classic and is one of the all time best sci-fi movies. District 9 is just typical of the low standards of contemporary movies. Pure schlock.

But this is the time when viewers flock to the most inane and melodramatic "reality TV" so if people are happy with watching American Idol and Dancing With the Stars, I can see why they would think that District 9 is some incredibly articulate and philosophical piece of art.
Of the four adults I know who watched the movie, it is three thumbs down and one thumbs up. One person walked out after an hour so maybe they missed the super deep "message" that racism is bad or "can't we just get along with the migrants".

[edit on 8-9-2009 by bluestreak53]

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by bluestreak53

For me, District 9 was a big waste of money, except I did enjoy seeing South Africa as a location for a movie. Maybe I was expecting too much.

It is a joke to compare District 9 with Blade Runner. Blade Runner is a classic and is one of the all time best sci-fi movies. District 9 is just typical of the low standards of contemporary movies. Pure schlock.

Qualifier: haven't seen it yet.

Just responding to "it has no substance". Sometimes a movie is just the introduction and the details and character depth takes part in the sequel. Just a thought.

I love good Sci-Fi. For me good Sci-Fi has to have realism - - as in - - its possible it could really happen. This movie is based on real human events - set in the future. I think I'm going to like it.

So who's seen the "Crawling Eye"? Not to get off topic - but: I know Blade Runner is a classic. Yet - I'm still trying - but I've never been able to sit through that entire movie.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee
I know Blade Runner is a classic. Yet - I'm still trying - but I've never been able to sit through that entire movie.

You just became my first friend.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Not so strange perhaps:
en.wikipedia.org...
Johannisberg is a village in Hesse, Germany.

Kassel near Hess

Adolf and Eva (Braun) Hitler were daringly rescued from the Berlin Bunker by flying saucer, piloted by test pilot Hanna Reitsch and long distance flight expert Hans Ultich Rudel. The couple were later protected by the secret amnesty agreement, live their remaining lives under protection of the N.A.T.O. alliance, in Kassel, Germany, ironically the home of an international monument to the Holocaust.

The visitors have returned to Germany to perpetrate their evil.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:01 PM
link   
UFOs in Africa:

Pathetic scaring of children.

The ET pushers are the biggest friend of the Illuminati.

posted on Sep, 8 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

I know Blade Runner is a classic. Yet - I'm still trying - but I've never been able to sit through that entire movie.

LOL - I think we started off on the wrong foot - - - but we've been pretty in sync sense then.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Clickfoot

When I first watched it, I cried. And it is the only movie that I have cried so far.

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
Amazing movie...

And being able to speak and understand afrikaans, and knowing the south african culture i guess i can comprehend and relate alot more tothe film than your average american ever would.

best film i've seen in the last 10 years!

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
I simply can not believe some of you... this is quite possibly the best Sci-fi movie of the past decade..

[edit on 9/9/09 by neilis]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I'm a Sci-Fi buff but I hated this movie!! The story, the aliens, everything was horrible and depressing. No babes, no great effects, this movie had nothing I liked. Sorry but I'd give it a 3 out of 10. I'm kind of shocked that P. Jackson had anything to do with this pile of crap.

You're a scifi buff and you've never seen Peter Jackson's other film?

Bad Taste - Superb Movie! Aliens attacking humans in New Zealand, and the government send in "The Boys" to sort them out. Excellent 5 stars from me! Not a single "babe" in it, but a few explosions and an exploding sheep.

If you watch it, you'll wonder how he was allowed to be in charge of the LoTR

For those who have seen it: "I'm a Derek, and Dereks don't run!"

[edit on 9/9/09 by Daisy-Lola]

posted on Sep, 9 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I've seen "Lord of the Rings" and "King Kong" no others, they were superb. That's why I'm surprised Jackson is involved with this lemon. Other than a few effects at the end, "District 9" had nothing enjoyable. G.I. Joe was infinitely more entertaining. But opinions vary and that's what makes the world go round, so be it.

[edit on 9-9-2009 by Sargoth]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join