It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

District 9 New Peter Jackson UFO Film!!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
I did find it interesting that PJ chose South Africa as the landscape for this.
It is a VERY unlikely location, which suggests there is a motive behind the choice.

I think he wanted to depict Humans as racists (or speciests!) and he links South Africans to that premise for the viewer, which is unfortunate.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 05:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
I did find it interesting that PJ chose South Africa as the landscape for this.
It is a VERY unlikely location, which suggests there is a motive behind the choice.

I think he wanted to depict Humans as racists (or speciests!) and he links South Africans to that premise for the viewer, which is unfortunate.

Umm Peter Jackson had nothing to do with it in those regards, he was the produce not the director, who was Neill Blokamp.

Im actually kinda shocked most replys in this thread here seems to have not done any sort of research on the film. Its based on a short film 'alive in Joberg' done by the director a while back. The director is a South African for crying out loud. He lived through apartheid.

And if you cant pick up on the blatantly obvious apartheid references immediately then Im shocked for some peoples observational skills (or youve been so insular you dont know what apartheid even was). And for the poster that said he wasnt gonna see it because of the fact he cant stand movies where the aliens are repelled by using human weapons... all I can do is face palm. I guess you think every film about aliens are 'invasion' films, this aint that sort of film (although it has got action aplenty).

Its a great film... enough said really. And no it aint racist, holding up a mirror to humanity as a whole (but within a historical context most of us understand) isnt anything of the sort.

Does it have any relevance to the UFO field, nope
apart from having off worlders in it and a really big ship. Everyone no doubt researchs UFO material real well in here but they seem to drop the ball when it comes to doing a simple search for rottentomatoes movie reviews

Edit:- Rereading some of the posts it seems not as many people as i first thought whre being clueless
... i guess I got riled up a little with some of the harsh criticism the films gotten in this thread
... hmm does that mean im a fan boy?!

[edit on 26-8-2009 by BigfootNZ]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by GerhardSA

Cheers Gerhard,

This is how many South Africans see D9. Maybe because we have been living in this situation. So, it is easy for non South Africans not to think this. D9 is a good movie, no doubt & for one comment which said we don't know the background, ie: Alive In Jo'burg...trust me we have seen it.

I guess i would've & i still will get flack for my earlier comment but it is all worth it. People think we are racist, where in truth we have been trying doing the best for our country & our people. Myself and others are living the the reality. We are labeled as racists at most forums & this remarks stopped getting under our skins.

The fact is, years & years different races have had their issues here. Now, as we are starting to sort our differences we have to sit with millions of illegal Africans pouring in to South Africa, and our great government does nothing about this, nothing.

We give them a hand and before we know they have taken our arm, with force. If it should be a different race or specie, if they like what they see they will start taking it with force. Not only humans as every single animal specie have this instinct, we all are the same, so we try to protect that which is ours.

Feed a lion from a distance.

ps: Tourists come here & gets killed by a "prawn" gang, it is a weekly occurrence.

[edit on 8/26/2009 by qonone]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
I thought Alien Nation was similarly unique for its time. Giant UFO comes, Aliens are processed by INS, are assimilated into American society... then the movie begins. A crime story/buddy film as opposed to an Alien invasion movie.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   
I find it very interesting that the South Africans posting on this see this as a reference to the problems contemporary South Africa faces with migrants/refugees from outside South Africa.

It seems to me that all the people who assume this must be a message about apartheid are looking at South Africa as it was over 20 years ago and it seems to be fixated as a sort of cartoon image of the country as a place which is dominated by questions surrounding apartheid.

Maybe the director created the film with both audiences in mind and thought that since people outside South Africa know litttle or nothing about the place as it is today, that he put in enough references to make them think "Ah Hah, this must be about apartheid!".

Maybe, but maybe not. Could it be that all the people who think that are misunderstanding the movie?

Could it be that South Africans know that this is a film that is more relevant to the current situation in South Africa, not from its bygone and almost forgotten days of apartheid which will surely never return?

But there is no stopping the migrants into South Africa...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigfootNZ

Its a great film... enough said really. And no it ain't racist, holding up a mirror to humanity as a whole (but within a historical context most of us understand) isn't anything of the sort.

Everyone no doubt researches UFO material real well in here but they seem to drop the ball when it comes to doing a simple search for rottentomatoes movie reviews

I personally prefer Harry.

Did you know: Sharlto Copley improvised his dialogue?

Did you know: it was filmed in a real slum in S Africa?

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 03:15 AM
link   
on second thought..i'd rather keep this reply to myself....

[edit on 27-8-2009 by GerhardSA]

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I watched movie and it was very good. Must see.

I saw one review and they told Director Neill Blomkamp was living in Johannesburg year 1980. Maybe this is reason to location. He knew this area very well.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
I loved the movie, though the ending was a bit underwhelming.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

funny you said that and if you look at the history in the area you would see why he chose the location.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ocker

posted by deltaalphanovember 23/6 2009 in another thread

District 6 was a well known are in Cape Town, South Africa. It was declared a whites only area and all non-whites were relocated from it.
It is quite a well known landmark in the history of apartheid (separate development).
District Six (Afrikaans Distrik Ses) is the name of a former inner-city residential area in Cape Town, South Africa. It is best known for the forced removal of over 60,000 of its inhabitants during the 1970s by the apartheid regime.

I think the title District 9 is meant to be a play on District 6.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   

It was Niell Blomkamp...NOT Peter Jackson!

I hope the title of this thread changes as it was Niell Blomkamp who directed

District 9!

District 9 is a reference to district 6 in Cape Town

en.wikipedia.org...

The "documentary" style that everyone refers to is very different to

Cloverfield as it isn't filmed from a specific persons view.

The Director Niell Blomkamp was originally going to do a film based on Halo

but this fell through due to budget constraints. He then decided to do

"District 9" which is based on "Alive in Joburg" a short film.

The lead actor and director are both South African's hence the location and

accent's.

You can see more of Niell Blomkamps work (including some Halo stuff) at

www.spyfilms.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:00 AM
link   
First of all I am glad this producer was not a "believer" or a "skeptic". He was a simple person reflecting on things HE DID KNOW ABOUT in his film and that was fabulous.

His film talked about racism, greed, exploitation, necessary alliances (enemy of my enemy is my friend) the powerful instinct of survival and finally friendship that can unexpectedly sprang through all this because this is how it usually happens.

The film was brilliant, it didn't only show racism and weaknesses from both sides, whites and blacks, but it was put in a very wisely selected territorial and political background against a third actor, the aliens that surprisingly didn't bring "disclosure" with them or destruction of the human species. Most times in life we wait for things and we usually imagine them having the one or the other outcome, while most of times what happens is something completely different we would have not expected and imagined. This film was brilliant because it did just that!

We never really know what would have made those aliens incapacitated in their own ship to reach this planet. Maybe reasons beyond their own powers. Imagine how human society is displaying a lot of different ways of reacting in identical situations and it wouldn't be far off if we pictured humans instead of aliens in that ship with superior technology washing offshore someplace not ready to conquer but already conquered by their own turmoils, even too afraid to use their superior means to defend themselves in front of another capable species although inferior but greatly outnumbering them, because it would seem like a wise move at the time especially if you are stranded and need to deal with the locals in order to find a way home. As mentioned in the movie the needed fuel took 20 years to be prepared.

From the outcome of the movie plot, now aliens would face an additional choice, instead of coming here in friendhsip that would end up in disaster, or guns blazing to eliminate any opposition, they would face the choice to also spare some of the human species or all of them if the right conditions were met. That is not far out than most people would think it would happen in a real alien encounter.
Despite that the film was a reference to a fictional story cleverly with real life elements intertwined, it was very realistic in its approach.

This very realistic approach is surprisingly as I noticed very outofthebox kind of thinking because neither the "believers" nor the "skeptics" liked it. This means the rest of us not bothering to follow blindly some new age propaganda, or using blind skepticism to hide from our obligations, the rest of us not having to follow an "agenda" had to love it, and most of us probably did!

There is no superior or inferior, is only what you can make of yourself and which means you will use to achieve this.
It saddens me to witness that many people, most that frequent this site, would not have the braveness of asserting their own ways, instead they have to follow any prepackaged ideology or blindly hide behind their own fears because both refuse responsibility. If either side has to win someday then we are all doomed.
Thankfully the future depends on the "middle class" that acts like none of the above.

[edit on 30-8-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
Mockumentaries are hard to pull off and this film was no exception.

I thought it was lame.

I wonder why no one ever responds to my reviews?

Because you start out with a cliche like mockumentary and end it with a word like lame.

-----------------------------------------------

I saw it yesterday. It had the potential to be a good morality tale but had too much violence and gore. It had the potential to be a good action movie but had too much heavy handed moral/social preaching.

I think this could have been excellent if it had been done one way or the other but they tried too hard to make it appeal to everybody.

It might have been better as a suspense movie similar to a Shamalan or Burton movie.

It is still worth seeing on dvd though. A lot lof others liked it more than I did so don't let me scare you off.

My opinion. Take it or leave it.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Its ranked in the Top 25 of Alltime on imdb with 8.9 - 9.0 Rating

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTracker66
Its ranked in the Top 25 of Alltime on imdb with 8.9 - 9.0 Rating

It must be because all that is being made these days is the same crappy movies that make the B movies from the 1950s look like high art.

No coherent storyline, ridiculous premise, aliens that look like paper mache splashed with latex paint ...

Yeah that is the new formula for a blockbuster!

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTracker66

yeah it scores high on uk.rottentomatoes.com...

see things like independence day & transformers get weak reviews becuase theres basically no substance to them.

D9 asks us to question ourselves & our own behaviour aswell as being a sci-fi action film. Maybe alot of people who visit here want to see close encounters everytime. This movie isnt really about aliens its about human nature.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by yeti101]

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeti101
reply to post by UFOTracker66

yeah it scores high on uk.rottentomatoes.com...

see things like independence day & transformers get weak reviews becuase theres basically no substance to them.

D9 asks us to question ourselves & our own behaviour aswell as being a sci-fi action film. Maybe alot of people who visit here want to see close encounters everytime. This movie isnt really about aliens its about human nature.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by yeti101]

Well it might be about human nature, but I am not the only person who thought the movie was just a jumbled mess of schlock. I do agree that it appeals to current sensibilities of what is a great movie - but to me District 9 was like a low budget Transformers.

At least Independence Day had a storyline, even if the ending was as stupid as some of the wacky nonsensical notions contained in District 9, like the magic black oil that is spacecraft fuel AND a genetic engineered tool that turns humans into aliens - except of course, the aliens didn't set out to do that, it just does it by itself. What? Doesn't that just happen all the time? I hate it when I spill gas on myself at the filling station and then go home to find my arm is turning into a prawn leg.

Okay, if I can believe that, I suppose that it is possible to engineer a computer virus in about half an hour into a totally unknown technology that causes their spacecraft to explode - so maybe Independence Day is really a "message movie" because its plot also doesn't really make any sense. It must be about something really deep and profound like how humans just want to anihilate anything that is foreign except in the movie, the aliens are the humans, get it? I mean, it makes as much sense to me to try an extract a meaningful and relevant "message" from Independence Day as it does to read some really deep deep message from District 9.

[edit on 1-9-2009 by bluestreak53]

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Watched this film and think it is a really good film!
The best way to watch a film is just to enjoy it for what it is. A story, made for you to enjoy!

/5

but ignoring what I posted above, anyone notice the similarity?

WooWooWooWooooWooooo!!!

posted on Sep, 4 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by 750Aero
I think it will turn off a lot of people for the sequel/prequel when it comes out because many women will not go watch it...I know my wife won't for sure and it seemed to be the theme for most women that went to watch it at the theater.

Well I don't know where you are, but when I went to see it, every female I heard upon exiting was saying how much they enjoyed it. There were only two instances of 'graphic violence' that I remember and they were no worse than an Itchy and Scratchy cartoon. If that's too much maybe you should stick to 'kids movies'?

1) We would have back engineered the weapons to take off the safety features

Maybe you weren't listening. It was DNA based. Besides, this is nonsense. I have no idea why so many people believe we would be ABLE to reverse engineer alien tech. We wouldn't.

2) If they had that type of weaponry they wouldn't have allowed themselves to be dominated that way.

Again, you weren't listening. They were a slave race. Their leaders had all died. That's why they became stranded in the first place.

Some people say they were pacifists...however, pacificts don't carry weapons like that. If they have weapons like that

Again, see above.

This also basically says they use sub light speed technology and don't use wormholes to travel...or else they would be able to get home and return much faster and not using either of those two technologies it would take a whole lot longer than 3 years considering the distance to the closest star to ours.

I don't see your point - you say they must be using sub light speed tech, then say they can't be? So how do you figure they are?

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join