It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Cataclysm in 2012? Think Again, Scientist Michio Kaku Says we should be alarmed..Heres why....(vi

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Didn't Dan Sherman's book, Aboveblack, talk about a breakdown in human communication systems that was coming. If I recall correctly, the programme that he was a part of was set up to keep some communication channel open in this event.
Coincidental at least.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I have always respected Michio Kaku, and I greatly admire his work and attitude towards many factors of life.

As for 2012, what Michio Kaku is stating is basically what I and others have been warning others about for quite a while now, albeit he is doing so on a more specific scale and timeline. For as long as I can remember, many have brought forth the very real issue we have with our current reliance on vulnerable technologies, and the as of recent lack in educating and implementing redundant and age old methods, is to say the least, a very realistic concern. The first example of such that comes to my mind, is the fact that United States Navy Sailors are not even taught how to use the Sextant in the United States Naval Academy anymore! This is obviously the most basic of systems, and due to such, it SHOULD be taught and learned before any progression is made into the newer forms of navigation. Without knowing the basics, such as I also learned in Orienteering, how will anyone ever survive if we face a natural or manmade destruction of our fragile electrical systems?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:32 AM
link   
Thats an old broadcast, may be a year old and I wonder why its being dug up..

www.youtube.com...

That interviewer is a real moron, one more recent example of him with Kaku again:

www.foxnews.com...

When we can't even predict day to day weather 100% accurately, what makes one think that we can predict sun-spots and flares with any accuracy? There is a cycle and no one has noticed its effects so far in the history, and no one will, for this cycle.

As far as I know, not a single person has died because of a solar flare.

[edit on 31/7/2009 by rocksolidbrain]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Whenever I see some scientist like this making dire predictions, I begin to wonder whether he's just looking for funding for his pet projects.

This guy used all manner of inflammatory, scary language. A "solar tsunami", for crying out loud. We have had these flips every 11 years, and we've survived them all. We had satellites 11 years ago, and 22 years ago, and even 33 years ago - and we were using them back then.

I'm not saying solar activity can't damage satellites. I'm just saying it hasn't done much damage so far, and I see no good reason why it should do so this time.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

I'm curious as to why anybody puts this much effort into advertising armageddon. The fact remains, if a catastrophic event were to occur that would end all life, there's absolutely nothing we could do to prevent it. So why worry about it at all? It's just adding to all of the unneccesary stress we're piling upon eachother on a daily basis.

Since there's no known way to predict the future, we'll just have to sit back and wait to see what happens. Just as our ancestors have, and just as we always will. There's not much sense in worrying about it. I'd much rather spend my time hoping that something wonderful will happen.

Cheers,
Strype

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Star, i_a . . .
But aren't you sitting back now?

Cool idea, avenging wrongs, at end-times. . . . wait a sec- you're not an
AVENGER; You're an Ignorant Ape!

[edit on 7/31/2009 by FRIGHTENER]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
thanks to the OP for posting this SnF for you.

I love Kaku. Read several of his books and think he's a very intelligent man, seeing him on the history channel re-sparked my interest in space and totally got me into things.

al he was stating is what can happen in 2012 due to a solar storm that we are due for....he didnt say it would wipe out human civilization, i do not see how this turned into a doomsday thread.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
If this happens every 11 years, why have we not seen any major interuption in comm before? i know we have had comm sattelites in orbit for longer than 11 years. They have never gone tits up, they are still working. It wouldn't be finacially worth it to put up a sattelite that would only work for a maximum of 11 years. How long have we had GPS? more than 11 years, it depends on a bunch of sattlites. 30+
If all of them got knocked out every 11 years, it would be financially devastating. i think he is over reacting to some "extra" sun spot activity that occurs on ocassion, but rarely actually reaches earth orbit and actually causes permanent damage to any of our sattelites.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   
reply to post by rocksolidbrain

Good spot - being the old skeptic that I am it doesn't take too much thinking on my part to imagine Sony/Columbia pictures using a team of switched on students over the summer break to surf the forums, you tube etc and stir up a bit more 2012 chat to help get a few more bums on seats for their big movie when it comes out..

In saying that the link provided for Nassim Haramein is pretty interesting.. thanks to the dude that posted that..

cheers

Berth

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
what a clown tv presenter

Love Michio Kaku

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by ressiv

Thanks for this link,

www.spaceweather.com...

Lots of fun, it seems I can map the events of my life by the solar cycles. Apparently the last peak was July 2000, and 9/11 occurred during a peak. During times of low energy I have been in low energy cycles, rebuilding and changing on the inside, and during high energy very active with a great deal of change outward in my life.

It looks like the high activity periods last about 3 years. At the end of next year we should be entering into another period of high sun activity.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
All I know is that nobody better be around me if this happens, No tv stations, no internet and no phone service(I only have a cell no landline). I pity the fool who gets on my bad side that day!
I'm going to be worse thatn Pele with a bad haircut!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:30 PM
link   
Thanks to Ressiv for providing this link, some good information anyone could have looked up about the event on Sept. 1, 1859. This is some pretty amazing stuff.

science.nasa.gov...

Just before dawn the next day, skies all over planet Earth erupted in red, green, and purple auroras so brilliant that newspapers could be read as easily as in daylight. Indeed, stunning auroras pulsated even at near tropical latitudes over Cuba, the Bahamas, Jamaica, El Salvador, and Hawaii.

Even more disconcerting, telegraph systems worldwide went haywire. Spark discharges shocked telegraph operators and set the telegraph paper on fire. Even when telegraphers disconnected the batteries powering the lines, aurora-induced electric currents in the wires still allowed messages to be transmitted.

Considering that this solar eruption occurred when the electrical wires we had stretched across the surface of the Earth was minuscule then compared to now, ya gotta think that such a mammoth solar eruption would create a far greater voltage spike today, it would indeed be a mammoth impact.

Luckily, it looks like we have about a 15 hour window to act before this explosion reaches Earth. Anyone in the know would be smart to pop the main breaker on their house turn everything off, and maybe sleep out in the yard that night, away from anything metal.

If you explore this site further, you can see that this flare occurred during a period of mild solar activity, thus the up coming expected mild solar activity doesn't diminish the possibility. Still, chance are tiny that this will happen.

There is also those who claim we will be crossing the galactic plane soon, but this isn't exactly verifiable either. I couldn't find a specific site to give any good answers to this one. Apparently our solar system is orientated more perpendicular to the galactic plane, and right now were are crossing back and forth over this plane every year, and have been doing so for awhile now. Eventually, as the sun wobbles in its rotation around the galaxy we will not be crossing this plane annually for awhile, so we are essentially in that stage, MAYBE. Could be that this explains our current high sun cycles.

www.earthsky.org...

In other words, the 2012 alignment isn’t unique. Consider the view from our local star, the sun. As seen from the sun, Earth crosses the Milky Way’s galactic plane (also called the galactic equator) twice a year, every year.

Therefore, the solstice point moves about 30 degrees westward every 2,160 years. By the year 2269, the December solstice point will cross into the constellation Ophiuchus. Then the solstices won’t happen so near the location of the galactic plane in our sky.

Best info I could find.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Fogive me if im wrong, but he has not said were all going to die, he had just said - watch out might lose communications for a few weeks. No eternal burning and extreme 2012 death. Nothing on that, From your article heading it spelled dood, when listening to him it just says you might not be able to surf the web for a bit.

Im happy if 2012 is going to be a bit of an internet blackout??

Thanks for the post though, im intereted in it all but seen no credit research yet.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Jed1Knight]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Yes, how do we truly know what the mayans were thinking! They could have picked any date, what make us think we are so special to be able to interpret the mayan calander, and it is just a coincidence that the end of the world is in our time! Rediculous! But I do think that the sun issue is real and we should be on alert!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

OK do you know why there will be no cataclysm, earth shattering event, or second coming, or new age crap like humans all of the sudden having new abilities because we cross some universal plain?

Ill run the basics by you here. Mybe it will inspire some to look at the subject in a scientific manner instead of believing all the stories.

1. The Mayans had it wrong. Yep. Wrong. They thought the earth will be crossing the galactal equator on their predicted date. Many believe becaus we will be crossing this equator the black hole that resides at the center of the galaxy will cause major gravitational "turbulence" on earth. Pole shifts, tidal waves, super volcano eruptions, et., et.,c.

Well, we will not in fact be crossing our galaxies equator. Discovery channel did a nice presentation on the subject and their conclusion was that it does appear from our perspective that we will be crossing this equator, but in fact we will still be well above the equator on our part of one of the arms that make up our spiral galaxy. Therefore voiding all the possible cataclysm that was sure to beseech us on that date due to the alignment. In other words no alignment no reason for any gravitational effects and no reason for natural cataclysm.

2. Do you really believe all the governmnet of the world have not looked into things of this nature? I can asure you they have. Think there would be no whistle blowers? Come on! Somebody within the "know" would have said something by now. Someone in one of the hundreds of nations that do their own research would have said something. Think thier is a grand secret going on to keep the truth from you? What about all the universities? Think all the astronomers of the world are hiding something from us? A little bit of reasoning helps wit hthese kinds of theories. Why do you think there is so much crap info out there on the subject? One word: Distraction

3. All the major production projects and money spent on different buildings , experiments, government projects...Think they would bother if they thought the world was going to end in 2012?
No. You woud be hearing about massive underground shelters being built. Something would have been leaked.

The whole thing has come down to paranoia by gullible people. Do some research and dont take youtube videos anything more than for their entertainment value.

That being said, anything could happen at any time. Being prepared is always a good idea. But there isnt a damn thing anyone can do about the things outside of your influence or control. So if something is meant to happen, there is no reason to be worrying about it now. Thats the best advice anyone can ever give someone when it comes to this stuff...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Yet again the doom merchants never miss an opportunity to blow things out of proportion (no pun intended)
. No where on that video does it make any mention of a cataclysm. As Jed1Knight pointed out, it well affect our communications satellites and that's about as bad as it will probably get. Are you people so sick & bored of your life's, that you have to make a catastrophe out of everything.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
So, what he describes isn't a cataclysm, its satellites failing. So for the record, your topic is way off. Thats facts. my opinion is "make a 2012 thread get 100 stars" syndrome is here.

Also, your thread implies that past civilizations would know we would have satellites in space. In order for the things you mentioned to be tied together, that would be a necessary component.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by argentus

I hear what you're saying. People probably will panic if that happened. I know you remember Y2K? What a load of baloney all of that was. The gov. knew nothing was going to happen, and I wonder why they never came out and told people; "hey, everything's under control... etc."

Reading back my posts, I really was an a-hole! Sorry to everyone for the a-hole-ishness!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I have been reading Finger Prints of the Gods, And it talks about how all our Indians, Myans, Hawaiians, Japanese, China, Egypt, and India all past civilizations have a story of the Gods getting mad at us (mankind) for not following Gods Laws, that he destroys Earth with either Fire, Water, or Wind. So even in our history we have stories of the Earth being destoryed and rebuilt. Some legends say the Earth will put itself through an Ice Age get rid of mankind when the earth is overpopulated. Some of the stories point the finger to moon flooding earth.

So If we have all these stories from all over the Earth, from differant Ethics background. Something must happen to Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water, whatever to cleanse earth and let it start anew. I dont know If God does this on purpose but this is the cycle of Earth. One of the legends says that Earth does this when the Universe is unbalanced also. The proof is all around us, The bible even has the flooding. Something happens catastrophic we just don't know how, when, or why?

I think a good question is that all these ancient civilizations talk about a flood or a catarophic event, but they werent around when it happened, all evidence was destroyed, so who told them these stories, so strongly believed that even 2000 years later we believe and worry that something might happen.

edit for typos

[edit on 31-7-2009 by isa75]

[edit on 31-7-2009 by isa75]

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join