It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Cataclysm in 2012? Think Again, Scientist Michio Kaku Says we should be alarmed..Heres why....(vi

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Electro38
reply to post by argentus

I just wanted to add that many people, so called experts said the same thing about Y2K, they thought the boogie man was gonna come on new years eve of 1999.

People were selling all of their stuff and bugging out, other people were making money from it.

Nuclear bombs were gonna go off, etc.

Most of these things that are predicted by prophets are done for money, fame or celebrity, which all comes down to money. Scare people = make money!

I know it sounds silly, young idealist people have a hard time with that, but as silly as it is it's true. You'll learn to see through such things when such things don't matter to you anymore.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by Electro38]

I could agree with you. You are quite intelligent and have many good insights on this topic. However, if this was something you didn't worry about and have moved beyond intellectually, you would not be here adding your comments on this thread. It would be meaningless for you to do so otherwise. Like it or not, there's a part of you that still grips to this content, otherwise, you would be posting on another thread and not wasting your valuable time with cooky conspiracy theories regarding the end of times. Ultimately, the only person that you can convince of your own opinion is yourself, and lets hope that this will be enough. 2012 may come and go without without incident, however, I personally think that you have a portion of your mind that believes in these possibilities, otherwise, you would not be here to voice your opinion. It would make just as much sense for you to be arguing about something that YOU DO BELIEVE in on a different thread.

As for me, I'll wait until 2012 to see the results. I will stay impartial until then.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by EvolvedMinistry]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

You gotta link to this claim that our solar system is not passing through the galactic plane from The Discovery Channel, or are we just supposed to rely on your interpretation?

See this statement from you

it does appear from our perspective

Leaves one to wonder what you mean by OUR perspective?

I did some research, and provided a link which explains this. Currently in our revolution around the sun, we are crossing the galactic plane twice a year, but as our sun continues to move, eventually we will be beyond that point, and not be crossing the plane, which means that we are in the process of crossing the galactic plane. Our perspective means nothing, it is when Our sun crosses the plane that things might get interesting.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

or are we just supposed to rely on your interpretation?

My interpretation? Listening to them explain why the earth or the sun will not be passing through the galactic equator for many many more years? Thats not an interpretation. I just simply passed the message along. I am going off my recollection of the presentation. I watched it over a year ago now. So if you wish to look it up Im sure you could find it. I did try to find a link to the show, but could not come up with it. And its not worth it to me to spend time looking it up for people who want to believe what they want to believe.

They will just go on youtube and believe the first nutter that says the world will end with some fringe scientific "pole shift" explanation anyway...Or some lame video talking about the tribulation and how we are approaching armageddon...

So if you dont believe me (like I have the time to come on here and lie about something so stupid... and I would be accomplishing what exactly??) then feel free to believe what you like. Ill say to you what I said to the other guy...ill be happy to take all your valuables and the remaining balance of your checking account when you decide to bug out...

Leaves one to wonder what you mean by OUR perspective?

Our perspective from earth. Or our vantage point... just as when you look at something in space at certain times, it may be straight up or at a 90 degree angle, but a day later it may only be at 60 degrees. Did the object you are looking at just travel millions of miles in a day? Or did your perspective change due to earth rotation?

Im not saying that is what the presentation said about the Mayan prophecies. Im saying on December of 2012 it appears that the Sun, earth and galactic center aligns, but in fact it does not. I dont remember why it appears to do so, that is just what the astronomers concluded in the show.

Still amazing the mayans could even get that far. Utterly amazing...

But the end of the world, it is not.

From what I remember on the show, they said we were no where near the galactal equator. Meaning the earth , our solar system will not be crossing the middle of the black for many more years. I am not the one to be debating such things. I dont have the knowledge. Again, I was playing the role as messenger.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Im saying on December of 2012 it appears that the Sun, earth and galactic center aligns, but in fact it does not. I dont remember why it appears to do so, that is just what the astronomers concluded in the show.

In fact, it does. But it happens every year. Twice each year actually; once with the Earth between the "center" and the Sun, and once with the Sun between the "center" and the Earth.

We somehow seem to survive it each time.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Vonour

The bible this, the bible that.
religions are 1% truth and 99% perversions.

Planet X probably existed. Although it does not exist now.

2012 is not what anyone will expect because that would be to easy, and who is to say it's the end of world I thought it was just the end of the age/era/time...I thought calenders started over.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by Psychonaughty]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

In fact, it does. But it happens every year. Twice each year actually; once with the Earth between the "center" and the Sun, and once with the Sun between the "center" and the Earth.

We somehow seem to survive it each time.

Actually... the plane or our solar system is NOT alligned with the plane of the galaxy. You could picture a childs gyroscope that is precessing with a 50K year precession rate and get perhaps an image of how our solar system moves.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by vger6

You are correct.
The plane of the solar system is not aligned with the plane of the galaxy. I was not referring to the plane of the galaxy but to the Earth, Sun, and "center" of the galaxy.

Twice each year these three form an alignment. It takes two points to form a line. The Earth's orbit intersects the line formed by the Sun and the "center" twice each year. And guess what. Nothing happens.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Let's say your right, for arguments sake. Can you or I change what is going to happen by worrying about it? No.

Just to be clear, I am not confusing prepare with worry. Worry is to ruminate anxiously over something that may or may not happen. You will drive yourself crazy trying to predict the future. When we are constantly "future tripping" or stuck in our past, we are missing the beauty of the present. Life.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by vger6

You are correct.
The plane of the solar system is not aligned with the plane of the galaxy. I was not referring to the plane of the galaxy but to the Earth, Sun, and "center" of the galaxy.

I know you are nit picking, Earth-Sun align with a zillion things everyday by that logic.

IMHO, even if the solar system plane aligns with galactic plane, we wouldn't notice the effect, because the solar system is teeny weeny compared to the galaxy. It is already exposed to everything that emits from the galaxy (and every other galaxy).

The distances are astronomical (
), and although the sun travels at a very high speed, nothing changes during a small period of years or days (or even a million years).

So my common sense says, nothing unusual will take place, otherwise we would have noticed it by now. 2012 is a few days away from now.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The problem is that compared to the previous solar cylcles that occured in the 90's and 80's, we weren't as technologically developped and dependent.

As someone stated earlier that the great solar cylce of the 18th century didn't do any harm it is quite normal because nothing was relying on microships and there were no communications and GPS satellites.

However, should it occur nowadays it would cause great harm to the whole world as all the vital systems that drive our every day world would not function anymore.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Well seems we can only rely on our self to search for the truth... Lots of thoughts on the subject of 2012 are out there on the net... So many that my head is spinning from what i have found... I can't believe a comet .. NEAT V1 .. reported as Twice the size of Jupiter went around our sun in 2003 our trusty NASA didn't inform the public on the event yet only to speak of it after... Just goes to show you even if the dreaded Dwarf Dead Brown Star is out there they won't tell you til its to late.... But then again the subject is out there and there is much on the subject... Yet even the Spiritual enlightenment to come after is to begin at the end of 2011... in the Maya Calender very good subject... Seems alot is to unfold in the next few years for mankind... All these events are to take place in the coming years seems to be all connected in some way... Yet as much as I search for answers the more I realized there is even more than i could have imagined out there... My advise to you... trust yourself.. and look for the answer take the time to find the truth you may already have found it... sumerians wrote of Nibiru... Mayan ... the Red star and the 7 mountains.. The Kolbrin Bible is the Rosetta Stone of Planet X!" These prescient accounts of the Egyptian and Celtic authors clearly describe a brown dwarf.
By Thomas O'Toole, Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 30, 1983 ; Page A1
Possibly as Large as Jupiter;
Mystery Heavenly Body Discovered
The New York Times
Sunday, January 30, 1983
Clues Get Warm in the Search for Planet X
John Noble Wilford
NASA Press Release 1992
"Unexplained deviations in the orbits of Uranus and Neptune point to a large outer solar system body of 4 to 8 Earth masses, on a highly tilted orbit, beyond 7 billion miles from the sun."
Norway's ark-Doomsday CNN- 2012 Planet X ?
The Lost Symbol - Dan Brown Latest: July 2009
Lost Symbol - Historical Solomon Key parchment lost symbol - Hidden Record …can find on you tube

the biggist problem is life is full of surprises and no one can tell you what is true or what is false... Only you can make that judgement
Some have tried to say the Comet NeatV1 was Planet X... mosty cause of the size of the object... But Scientist state the these Brown Dwarf Stars seems to make up of alot of the Stars in the galaxy meaning there are many... And most Star systems have more than 2 stars... But my take on this has drawn to a conclusion for me.
...Yes there is a Brown Dwarf.. It orbits our Sun.. It Carries many planetary Bodys ..Infont and behind it even some orbit the Dwarf itself.... the Dwarf has passed the sun many times carrying comets with it Some of these comet now show up before it and comet will show up after it July 19 Jupiter was hit by one 2008 one brokeup over Mars knocking Photos and Demios into the earths orbit..Seems scientist said for the most part as I was growing up that these comets only came from the kyper belt caus they smashed into one another and one just happen to get pulled in by the Sun .. I see a bigger picture now.. seems there was a body pulling on them the whole time... Cause and Effect .. I know your heard of that before...
and every Myth .. has a hidden truth behind it...."Come and See"

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeddiRevolution

"Since you sang all summer, you may as well dance all winter to the tune you sang".

In short, let them sing and dance their hearts out. Winter comes just the same.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by TeddiRevolution]

What they didn't tell you was right after that exchange the grasshopper snipped off the ant's head.
So not only did he sing all summer but also enjoyed the winter thanks to the ant's hard work. Best of both worlds!

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
If this event happens every 11 years, which I don't dispute, and the next is scheduled to occur in 2012, and the effects of which are potentialy widespread communications blackouts, then the last such events would have happened circa 2001, 1990, 1979, ect.. yet I have no recollection of any such cataclysm happening in any of those years, so why would 2012 be any different?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 06:29 AM
link   
reply to post by quackers

Yes, the sunspot cycle does occur about every 11 years. No, it is not always the same. The upcomming cycle, known as "Cycle 24" is predicted to be stronger than the last few. Here is a link to an graph that shows sunspot activity for about the last 300 years....
www.hao.ucar.edu...
The last realatively large sunspot cycle was back in 1960 at which time we did not have a large number of communications satelites orbiting the earth.

Steve

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Here is an unusual close coincedence. The earths obliquity of the ecliptic, or tilt (about 23.44 degrees) precesses with a period of about 26,000 years. Our solar system is about 26,000 light years from the center of our galaxy.

Probably just coindedence

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Oh boy, I hope that Fox News guys Black Berry doesnt go out...!

I want to flush him down the toilet.

[edit on 3-8-2009 by Copernicus]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by vger6

No.
Solar cycle 24, which is predicted to peak in May of 2013, is predicted to be of below average intensity.
www.swpc.noaa.gov...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

These Fox talking heads are such morons. "Ooh, does that mean it'll fry my Blackberry? Is this just like Y2K?"

No, genius - Y2K was a computer glitch situation. The solar cycle is a proven, well documented recurring phenomenon. Jeez, learn at least a little goddamn science, faces!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Has anything predicted ever really happened, on time? We always hear about it later.

Even so, the chances of something taking place, and I'm into all this stuff, is that eventually, earth changes do happen..people die.. civilizations and religions disappear.

It's basically cyclic....like anything! Maybe this time we'll be surprised.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

This is true, although not all of the panel agreed. One thing that puzzles me though is the current level of sunspot activity. The daily average has been below 50 since the first quarter of 2006. This low level for this duration has not happened for quite some time, 1910-1914, after which the peak hit 268 in 1917.

Guess we will just have to wait and see...

Steve

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join