It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

No Cataclysm in 2012? Think Again, Scientist Michio Kaku Says we should be alarmed..Heres why....(vi

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by mrpotatohead

Well, brand new satellite tech might not cut it in the new millennium but some old Tesla tech might do it nicely.
Electrons and signals in Tesla's reality do not need satellites to bounce, they just use old plain earth as the copper in the cable and the atmosphere as the cable coating to follow a route inside it and not bounce and get lost in space.

Plain and simple.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by spacebot]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I just wanted to add that the scientist we're referencing here also has a show biz career, which equals a lot of money.

He has sounded like a quack to me, making unfounded, fantastic comments about physics and cosmology. Most scientists refrain from such outbursts due to their very precise nature.

Einstein made some very off the wall statements, but then backed it up with math, physics and proof.

I believe the human mind can create it's own reality, especially collectively.

So instead of constantly preparing for our horrific demise, lets concentrate on how to improve things.

We're all going to die, but don't let some idiots predict it for you!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by king Pop!p

If you are going to live your life in fear over things you can not control; what's the point?

Blaine when a respected Scientists comes forward taking the full blame for his colleagues mistakes in how potentially dangerous this situation is, then it is not based in fear nor is it spreading dis-info to create fear. Fear is ignorance of checking all possibility, he proposes that we not get hit by technological disaster and begin , even late- to make contingency plans for our grid systems and create back ups for all of our satellite based technology such as the computer you are on, our electrical grids, telephone and TVs, he is did not say it is going to kill a single person...

The end could come at any time or not for millions of years. Nobody knows and those who claim to know are legion and have been all along. Every generation has had it doom and gloom scenario and those running around in a panic about it.

Granted , however this video clip was not about a doom and gloom death scenario, unless it is death to our grid systems and satellites in space.

If you knew for a fact and event on the sun would destroy the earth on a specific day, what would you do about it? Enjoy the rest of your life, or run around in a paranoid panic screaming?

If you have truly lived then the question never arises.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

By the way.....did you see the Comet hit............Did any scientist or Astronomer see the Comet hit?!?

No they did not but Guessed it was...........now, as they have guesstimated, do you believe them? If you do, why......
If you beleve only on the basis that they are scientist, you to my friend have your head firmly imbedded in the Sand
As we all know they cannot even predict the Weather! In the UK they predicted a Barbecue Summer and now have to revise the forecast!

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
The interview with Kaku is from last year, the predictions have been updated. The current prediction for the peak of Solar Cycle 24 is May of 2013. It is also predicted that the number of sunspots this cycle will be lower than average.

www.swpc.noaa.gov...

As Phage said, it will be a weak cycle. About 90 sunspots per day average at its peak is what is predicted.

But, to give the doom and gloom crowd something to munch on: the big solar storm of 1859 occurred in a weak solar cycle, with a sunspot number about the same as this solar cycle.

Just because there isn't as many storms, doesn't mean one of em won't be devastating. And unfortunately, the study of solar activity still has a long way to go.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Electro38

Can you back up your disrespectful claims with evidence of Dr. Kakus supposed off the wall claims? He is probably one of the brightest minds of our time. I guess I need to stay off ats until school resumes because I will end saying something to someone that just might get me banned.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Has it not occured to anyone that maybe the mayans had no major reason for ending the calender then? i.e. 2012 would have seemed a hell of a long way away to them, so what was the point in carrying on until 900 billion trillion AD? Might sound an overly simple reason, but that could be why.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nickmare

Though that video may have been last year, this video on Fox was broadcast on 26 Mar 2009

www.foxnews.com...|Michio%20Kaku

Peace!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   
reply to post by light_sound

Sorry missed the link:

www.foxnews.com...

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by light_sound

The predictions were changed in May.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by grantbeed
man, this presenter guy is such an annoying ass. He basically rubbishes Kaku after the interview. Does he realise that Kaku has more cleverness and brain power in his little finger than he does in his whole pathetic body?

Id love Kaku to be right just to **** this guy off.

Just because it couldn't be said more appropriately about that whole dang network! Nice Quote!

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Nickmare

Ok if that's the case, makes you wonder......predictions changed from about a year ago, changed again in March and now again in May.........It begs the question what next. Whatever it is, the period seems about the same Dec 2012 - May 2013.
I think more importantly would be the extent and impact of such a event.

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Have to laugh at you OP worrying about a caldera blowing every 600,000 yrs. Try living in my country. We have a place called Lake Taupo (Makes Yellow stone look ,like a puddle).

Statistically Lake Taupo should erupt every 980 Yrs Last Eruption was in 186 AD (Research Hatepe eruption). So in the last 27,000 yrs we have had 28 Eruptions.

This also includes the worlds largest explosion in the last 70,000 yrs. About 24,500 BC.

So I'm afraid little old America and its tiny Yellowstone doesn't get to play in the big leagues in the last 70,000 yrs.

Personally I would worry about places like, Indonesia, New Zealand, Iceland. Which do have some monster Calderas that do erupt very regular.

Be Scared, Be very scared

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:16 PM
link   

It's just amazing how so many people THINK they know what the Mayans were thinking thousands of years ago!!

Just think about it for a moment Gorehound......why on earth did they pick that date??? Why would they pick a day thousands of years in the future.....why did they not end it at the end of the year in their time or even end of the decade or even end of their millennium?

There is significance to this date and it is very possible it signals something of a grand scale.

Why are you and others giving the Mayan civilization so much credit for supposedly being able to predict a "massive scale event" in 2012? Civilizations at that period believed things like: A giant beetle pushed the sun across the sky. The Earth was the center of all. All the planets, moons, etc. were gods. That you had to kill human beings to appease those gods.

Why you feel that this civilization could somehow predict an event thousands of years in the future, simply based on the fact that their calendar ends, just boggles the mind. Even if they DID feel something was going to happen then, it could very well have to do with their own religious beliefs, and none of it based in fact! Which is far more likely, than a belief that they had some super-secret insight into our future.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   
reply to post by king Pop!p

More 2012 hype that is entirely un-backed up by real science. Michio Kaku is one of my favorite scientific minds, sort of a Bill Nye for adults, but what he's saying here is so far from even slightly related to the Mayan's or even doomsday. What he's saying is that satellites MIGHT be in jeopardy, not that any harm will come to humans or life on this Earth whatsoever, just that there is a possibility of damage to our communications. Big deal, losing this mass communication grid would be a blessing in disguise for the human race as the hustle and bustle rat race would come to a screeching halt and we would have a Day the Earth Stood Still. The only danger comes from panic and it doesn't help that 2012 is being hyped and used to create unnecessary fear and paranoia, paranoia that can only have a negative effect if something does take place in 2012.

Want to save the planet? Stop hyping, stop working people up, stop relying on New Age teachings mixed with vague ancient prophecies and then we can start planning for real emergencies and how to deal with them without too much panic... Want the human race to survive, THEN STOP WISHING DOOM ON IT...

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by soldier8828
i think alot of people are overlooking this man as well hes been on point before i herd anyone else.

MUST WATCH!

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 30-7-2009 by soldier8828]

Thank you for posting this, from time to time I notice sudden flashes, it might be imagination, it might be caused by the sun. Does any one else have similar experiences?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555

If you knew for a fact and event on the sun would destroy the earth on a specific day, what would you do about it? Enjoy the rest of your life, or run around in a paranoid panic screaming?

now you mention it - i would avenge every sleight real or imagined

then sit back

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   
Here's my problem with this video:

I don't consider losing satellites and TV to be catastrophic.

Before everyone jumps all over me, I am fully aware of everything that runs and functions using GPS, satellites, cable, etc.

Nonetheless, the loss of such things are not essential to life. Life as we know it maybe, but not life. Not what life SHOULD be about. This is of course assuming that the wonderful gov'ts around the world have thought to ground all flights, etc. Having all of the planes fall out of the sky, with the assumed loss of life that would be involved, of course would be catastrophic.

And frankly, the majority of people agree that we can't just continue on as we always have. The Earth is suffering, people are suffering, species are dying off -- perhaps this would be the swift kick in the tush we need to right all of the wrongs (OK....realistically SOME of the wrongs) -- minus (hopefully) the billions of people dying as others have predicted.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

It's just amazing how so many people THINK they know what the Mayans were thinking thousands of years ago!!

Just think about it for a moment Gorehound......why on earth did they pick that date??? Why would they pick a day thousands of years in the future.....why did they not end it at the end of the year in their time or even end of the decade or even end of their millennium?

There is significance to this date and it is very possible it signals something of a grand scale.

Why are you and others giving the Mayan civilization so much credit for supposedly being able to predict a "massive scale event" in 2012? Civilizations at that period believed things like: A giant beetle pushed the sun across the sky. The Earth was the center of all. All the planets, moons, etc. were gods. That you had to kill human beings to appease those gods.

Why you feel that this civilization could somehow predict an event thousands of years in the future, simply based on the fact that their calendar ends, just boggles the mind. Even if they DID feel something was going to happen then, it could very well have to do with their own religious beliefs, and none of it based in fact! Which is far more likely, than a belief that they had some super-secret insight into our future.

What are you talking about....what fact...we are talking about predictions.....they do not become fact or otherwise until the day/date!

Anyway how do you know what they believed in and how they sourced knowledge........again I ask were you there documenting all that they thought and felt. Or do you just bow to your western masters and what they portray as history. During slavery, do you know what was taught in schools about non whites!
In each society, within all civilizations there are developed souls of great insight.
Historians continually change their minds, just look at the evolution debate, or whenever they find another bone or artifact.

Anyway i am not one who bases arguments on one civilization, i base it on many and the 26,000 year cycle, the Alignment [believe it or not] and the fact, while we in the west were 'Savage like', murdering, raping and destroying [and thinking the world was flat and wondering what the heck were those bright spots up there!], these civilizations, especially those of the east, were mapping the cosmos, developing their spiritual and esoterical side and teaching love.
Who would you rather listen to; I know what my answer would be.

Peace

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
My take on it -- Dr. Kaku is a brilliant physicist and one of his many strengths is his ability to communicate very intricate ideas to laypersons, and make it interesting and exciting to learn.

I really don't appreciate the anchor (I forget his name) referring to him as "Man" at the start of the interview. Maybe he has a friendship with Dr. Kaku or not, but he shouldn't have projected anything but respect IMO. "Sir" at the very least.

I think Dr. Kaku is talking about an event that combines a CME with a solar magnetic event, as he's talked about this on various segments on the History channel. He seems a very humble man, and I think he has a better idea of what to expect than most in his field.

Another thing........ IF this happens as he has hypothesized, consider the ramifications.. much of the world is so technocentric; I think the possibility for serious change is very possible. Imagine whole power grids going out, communications, possibly even affecting military and nuclear systems, or at least those that are not Faraday-shielded.

The psychological impact shouldn't be discounted. I know from personal experience that even a short period without communications with the outside world can cause otherwise normal people to freak out. I saw this last year when we were hit by a devastating hurricane. You know who (in general) became potentially dangerous? yah. The wealthy, the people who hadn't done much in the way of preparations.

I think it's an unfortunate coincidence that Dr. K puts this around 2012 in that it shifts the focus of the story (for some) on the year itself. He's not a doomsdayer. He HAS talked openly in various presentations about his take on some of the 2012 predictions, and some have used that to discredit him. I don't put him on a pedestal, but I think his thoughts bear listening to -- at least more than people who simply want to laugh at the prospect of anyone being responsible for their own welfare based upon a possibility of something adverse happening in/around 2012.

For those of you that want to ridicule people looking for answers and want to post "I told you so" on Jan 1, 2013........... well........ I hope you're right. I hope to laugh about it with you...... just don't come begging for anything from me or mine. I'll be helping the people that have helped themselves.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join