It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Web sites knocked out by cyber attack

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Cyber Attack Video

From the video

the Pentagon spent they have ordered that. That all personnel inside the building as well as connected to the network stop using US -- Drives thumb drives last guys any set a hard drives and attached to the USB port

But they believe that this is an attack that came from a foreign country which country at this point is still classified information

There was there was another cyber attack on Tuesday email accounts and the Department of Defense. And that was largely seen as coming from China but again at this time Nobody telling us which which country is thought to be behind this cyber attack on the Pentagon and stunning because you know that they got a lot of security measures in place to prevent this kind

[edit on 8-7-2009 by MysterE]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

Does anyone have any knowledge of any of our secret networks ever getting hacked? I am just curious, as I doubt that it could ever really happen without some inside help.....if it has happened, I have never heard of it in my 6 plus years working with them on a daily basis.

I was arrested for it in the late 90's. My 2 cents is that it is China which is also why they are keeping a li on who it is or rather where it is from.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

N Korea can make an atomic bomb....what makes you think that they cannot bring down a website?? I mean, I know we may not think they have gotten out of the stone age, but I think that we should show our enemy a little more respect than that.

Like I said, it takes trial and error to learn how to engage in cyber warfare. North Korea was not a source of cyber attacks in the past. Countries like China, Iran, etc. have all been caught probing at our networks for years. North Korea, never. It's simply not their M.O.

It's not a matter of computer power or bandwidth. DDoS attacks don't require the attacker to have much bandwidth at all - the attacks generally involve releasing a virus that takes over thousands of other people's computers all over the world, and then commanding *those* computers to carry out the attacks.

It's simply a matter of experience. One does not simply wake up one day a hacker. It takes years of practice, learning, trial, and error. This goes for countries as well.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

I think you are missing the point of these attacks. Or at least of the timing of their release to the public. You see, it's not a matter of having large ones to try and pull it off. It's a matter of falling in line with the overall 'conspiracy' of taking full control of the net.

Here's how it started. First, we heard grumblings about how unsafe our infrastructure is to cyber attacks. Then we get a new cyber security office that will be headed directly from the White House. Then they start speaking more and more about what can be accomplished by these new 'terrorists'. About how much devastation they can do to our power plants, banking systems, stock markets, government buildings and databases, and on and on and on. About how it could bring the world to a stand still and kill millions.

Why? To build up the fear in the public so that they will allow for the government to control the net. Period. The same policy they use for anything that they want. Like with Iraq. First they started to flood the MSM with stories about WMDs and so on. Then they started with the statements like 'in the form of a mushroom cloud'. Then they moved on with links to Al Qaieda. And on and on.

The same BS is taking place here. So you see, it's not that someone has a huge set, it's more that the plan is in motion. Now we will start to hear about this kind of stuff more and more until a new cyber protection bill is passed which will lead to the next phase which will ultimately lead to complete control of webpages by the government.

Sorry to have such a dreary view on this but the internet is a threat to the government more for what people dig up on them than from cyber terrorism. They view the evidence that is posted online as a threat to their dominance.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   
reply to post by bl4ke360

Obviously you mean the "Murdoch Soaked Media"?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This isn't the first time cyber-attacks have hit us:

In November (allegedly originated in Russia):
Cyber-attack on Defense Department computers raises concerns- www.abovetopsecret.com...

China's cyber army threatens US Superiority [carriers] in Sept 2007:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

SCI: FBI Fears Chinese Hackers Have Back Door Into US Government & Military (dated 4/21/2008)

Electricity Grid in U.S. Penetrated By Spies (Russian/Chinese)

I'm not going to deny the fact that a cyber related threat exists, but I am also not going to preclude the possibility of our government to take advantage of the situation. I think we will just have to wait and see. There would have to be a severe escalation in the magnitude and frequency of these attacks for the government to take action in eliminating our freedoms across the Web. I do not believe North Korea has the capabilities of carrying out this kind of operation. Associating them with the attack is just a way of instilling a greater fear of North Korea. Notice how it coincides with their alleged possession of nuclear material on the boat, as well as the missile launches.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 11:40 AM
link   
I thought this article written by an economic analyst relates well to this thread.

Read the whole article HERE

By: Roy_F_Grieder

[email protected]

Roy F. Grieder is a 58 year old retired airline captain and part time land developer and economic analyst.

So, where are we headed?. I suppose the Fed and the Treasury could just continue to print more money. Right up to the point it becomes worthless. The Weimar Republic of 1930’s Germany tried this. In the end the “money” was used to start a fire in a stove or was used as toilet paper. D..C. is too smart for this, right? Is there another way out of this mess?.

During my research I floated the following question to 10 people of various economic means. “If you were told you had no more debt but got to keep what you had, but also you had nothing in your bank or 401K or stocks or IRA, just start anew” 9 out of 10 replied “That works for me”. Astounding, but very telling. How these people responded, along with my research, and what is unfolding (actually unraveling) leads me to the following.

We are going to wake up one morning and Matt Lauer will inform us of the following. “I’ve got good news and bad news for you, America. The good news, for most of you, is that there is no more debt. No government debt, personal debt or corporate debt. You get to keep what you have, your house, your cars, your flat screen TVs. You owe nothing. The bad news, for some of you, is that there are no assets. Your bank accounts are empty, all stock is worthless, and there is nothing in your 401K or IRA.”

None of our “leaders” in D.C. will want to take the blame for this, and will need an excuse for this. Most people will understand and even forgive how this happened when Matt goes on to say:

“What I have told you is the direct result of a computer virus that has infected the worldwide financial complex that completely melted the balance sheets so that no one knows who owes what to whom anymore. This is why we have to start over. Just think of it as hitting the reset button. Details on the new government monetary system will come out shortly.” Problem solved, all absolved.

When the firestorm arrives, you will be glad you live in New Hampshire. At least here we may have a chance. During the dark days of the 1930’s peoples faith and morality held society together. Not so today sadly. Talk with your family, friends and neighbors. Come up with a plan. Things are about to become ugly. Very Ugly.

By Roy F. Grieder

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I am sure NK also has child prodigy's. Maybe even some that are trained by the state from a very early age just for this one job.

If I was the evil leader of some country I would have schools were children do nothing but learn how to hack. If little kim started a hacking program in 95' he would have been training hackers for almost 15 years now, I think that is ample time to have a hacking division who are capable. It could have even been set up covertly with help from China.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by lucentenigma

Well, that would make for a whole bunch of North Koreans who are very well trained in hacking North Korea. Learning what types of attacks work on web sites in the United States can only be achieved by attempting various attacks on the United States.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Right now on the news north korea is being blamed for the attacks

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by geckofooddude

Of course they are...if it they weren't I would be hella surprised.

If they can "accurately" identify that this was NK, does any one else see this as reasoning for either more sanctions or even an act of war? Cyber-terrorism???

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SassyCat

Agreed. A single person with a mass-request dispatcher could down any site they want.

Another possibility is a botnet, which uses a large group of infected computers to overload a site. A popular tool for this is the Vundo virus. That's what took down 4chan earlier this year.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Good.

These websites deserved to be attacked. GOOD FOR THE HACKER.

and much props for having the guts to do so.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

lol @ KJI

what a clown. A 10-year-old can set up a DDoS attack and bring down a website for a while. Wow... what a stinging blow. So this was the big attack for July 4?

rofl--what a tool.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

You do realize that it is these kinds of acts that lead to further restrictions on freedoms right? Think about it, what did they accomplish in the process?

Nothing.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

Listen friend, even if you hate TPTB, the gov't, etc. it still no reason to say "good job" to a bunch of potential terrorists. What if it is NK stealing our defense plans or something?

In all honesty, you should think before you start saying things like "good job" and "they deserved it", I found out a long time ago that it's better to think before you talk...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by mkross1983

Originally posted by tristar

Do you think were lying to the public..?

www.wired.com...

Yes...are you new to that idea? No offense.

I wouldn't classify myself as new or old, i am just a random person from the scene.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadeWolf
reply to post by SassyCat

Agreed. A single person with a mass-request dispatcher could down any site they want.

Another possibility is a botnet, which uses a large group of infected computers to overload a site. A popular tool for this is the Vundo virus. That's what took down 4chan earlier this year.

www.mxlogic.com...

According to that info they are in fact using a bot net to carry this out, not surprising really given the effects of the attack. Kind of sad that its just a rehashed MyDoom thats causing this and not some new and interesting worm/vuln.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Or... IT was planned to eliminate damaging evidence which had recently been added to the database by investigators, and now has been removed, and blamed on a "database corruption" which was an indirect result of the "attack".

Preceding this was the gathering, destruction and elimination of "hard copy" data and evidence, and most importantly the elimination or silencing of witnesses and other non-corrupted investigators.

How convenient.

Pure speculation on my part, of course!

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Walkswithfish]

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join