It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Federal Web sites knocked out by cyber attack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

N Korea can make an atomic bomb....what makes you think that they cannot bring down a website?? I mean, I know we may not think they have gotten out of the stone age, but I think that we should show our enemy a little more respect than that.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by PokeyJoe

Does anyone have any knowledge of any of our secret networks ever getting hacked? I am just curious, as I doubt that it could ever really happen without some inside help.....if it has happened, I have never heard of it in my 6 plus years working with them on a daily basis.

Maybe it was those damn Decepticons, lol

JK

I've seen articles about hacking attempts but I don't I've read about any being so effective as this last round.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
reply to post by PokeyJoe

What would their motivation be?

To get bombed?

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Interesting that "11" South Korean sites were attacked and "11" US Sites were attacked - 7/4/2009 = 11:11 too. Makes me wonder if North Korea is really behind these attacks.

www.foxnews.com...

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 07:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by CINY8
Interesting that "11" South Korean sites were attacked and "11" US Sites were attacked - 7/4/2009 = 11:11 too. Makes me wonder if North Korea is really behind these attacks.

www.foxnews.com...

I doubt it.

I doubt it even more if Fox News is saying it.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by mkross1983

Not just FoxNews - Yahoo news (AP), same news site this thread was started with:

news.yahoo.com...;_ylt=Aoh2.fHc9XxJfMY3OqfCksp2wPIE;_ylu=X3o'___'M2c3Q4a2ViBGFzc2V0Ay9hcC8yMDA5MD cwOC9hcF9vbl9yZV9hcy9hc19za29yZWFfY3liZXJfYXR0YWNrBGNwb3MDMwRwb3MDMwRzZWMDeW5fdG9wX3N0b3JpZXMEc2xrA29mZmljaWFsc25rbw--

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Wow this could go in so many directions...

I work in the IT industry and even deal lightly with government contracts, bids, etc. and the one thing I can honestly say, was this was NOT a group of teenagers or a team of hackers...The DOD standards on 99% of government equipment far surpasses what can be "taken down" by your everyday hacker.

With that in mind, I'm between two options:

1. It was actually N.Korea as a front and lil kimmy over there is continuing to press buttons until we engage him.

2. It's a false flag op with other intentions. Like many threads before have said, TPTB could could benefit in NUMEROUS ways from this and with the world looking in so many directions right now, I think this is more likely.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Interesting but not worth much more than a raised eyebrow in my book. Somehow I doubt a country like NK (who is almost always on the verge of collapse) is going to have the necessary bandwidth to undertake such a task, plus attacking straight on in such a fashion would be idiotic beyond words; the whole idea of a DoS is that the attack comes from multiple points making it far harder to protect against.

Given the actions of the government lately, and especially the recent statements about another stimulus I suspect the culprits to this are actually a lot closer to home than people think. Hitting sites tied to the financial sector like this seems very much like the actions of a home-based group of baddies who have an axe to grind with the federal government for spending their hard earned cash.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by SR
Or it's all apart of the inside plan to false flag an operation so they can enforce the Cyber Act 2009 and expand it's powers so you guys in the USA lose your free internet.

The EU is already rolling out the internet tax on state at a time so it's more likely than you think that something big is going on in the west to try and take control the internet from the people.

That's the exact same thing i was thinking....

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
WoW.. Obama gots hacked (o.0)

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockstar1102

1. It was actually N.Korea as a front and lil kimmy over there is continuing to press buttons until we engage him.

2. It's a false flag op with other intentions. Like many threads before have said, TPTB could could benefit in NUMEROUS ways from this and with the world looking in so many directions right now, I think this is more likely.

I think you nailed it Rockstar. The nagging question to me, which makes me think it was Option 1 is that the Feds did not come out immediatly and tell us "we are under attack" and try to hype it up. I'm not sure if they have even released an official statement yet. Anyone who think N Korea is not capable of doing this is underestimating the enemy, and that often proves to be fatal.

-E-

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Last year I got Comcast's broadband for my house in MA and oddly, decided to take a peek in the terms of use.
There may not even be a Cyber Act coming our way, when you sign up for internet these days, you consent that all you traffick WILL be monitored by FBI and its superior agencies. It's in the contract terms.

... just to take some pride in my nationality, the best hackers out there are still the brazilian hackers... lol

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   

I highly doubt, that they could regulate the internet without upsetting people.

You'd think so, but they never work in such blunt ways as that. Nobody really sees change happening, they are added one small brick at a time. At some point the internet will be totally regulated and hardly anyone will have noticed it.

But the fact is that regulation of the internet is already happening! it's been happening for a while. Google has a version of a "terror watch list" if someone submits a false complaint about a website, for example that the site has a virus written into it's _javascripts, Google can tag that site as dangerous. So when you use the search engine, and try and access the site, Google actually stops you. There are a bunch of sites which rely on banners to fund themselves, which have been shut down purely because Google has deemed the site unsafe, and prevented people from getting there. Google wont even give you the site URL, the only way to get there is if you already know it exists. Since everybody finds sites using google, you can see what vast power they have to decide which sites will prosper and which wont.

In the future, Google will just filter those sites out of it's search results entirely. (that's probably already happening, I haven't been blocked from a "dangerous site" for a while)

The content we have access to is being regulated by exclusion. It's the smartest way, because we have no idea it's happening because we can't see it. It starts with random sites to test the public reaction to the new code, then it becomes political blogs, news sites, and sites like ATS.

[edit on 8-7-2009 by Lazyninja]

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   

(4th LD) Hackers make new attacks on seven additional targets (ATTN: CHANGES headline, lead; INSERTS paras 2,16 & 17) SEOUL, July 8 (Yonhap) -- All but three of the 26 major Web sites that had been attacked by unidentified hackers had normalized operations Wednesday, but hackers renewed their attacks on seven other sites, including AhnLab Inc., which provides computer virus vaccine and online security services, according to cyber security officials. An official at the Broadcasting and Communications Committee said 23 sites -- excluding the ministries of defense and foreign affairs and the Chosun Ilbo newspaper -- were running smoothly as of Wednesday evening. However, seven other sites, including NAVER PC Green, Paran.com and two commercial banks, were having difficulties due to attacks of the "Zombie PC" virus.

Yonhap News

Whomever is doing this is still at it..

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:42 AM
link   
A mighty big coincidence that this happens right at an audit scare, AND when they're pushing internet control.

And for those who say a 15 yr. old can't do it alone, i've personally seen one hack into the Pentagon and get some files from something with the initials BJ of all things lol.

That kid's a frikkin genius I swear...anywho, long live my semi free internet!

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
WW3 is starting.

wouldnt be suprised if it was the Iranian Cyber unit as well as the North Korean one.

its pretty big.

Hold on to your seats guys... this is going to be one #ing bumpy ride.

I think Amademajad is looking forward to his new OVEN to cook his kosher cookies.

just kidding... no offense is intended, and the jewish population of Iran quite likes living there since there are laws in place to protect them from discrimination.

BUT

we can all pray this is just the apocolypse, when man turns on his brother, and the sky turns black and the moon turns blood red ect ect plagues, and blah blah blah.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
The White House, Pentagon, and NYSE were also targets! This is pretty serious.

White House among targets of sweeping cyber attack

The powerful attack that overwhelmed computers at U.S. and South Korean government agencies for days was even broader than realized, also targeting the White House, the Pentagon and the New York Stock Exchange

-E-

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
Not so much worried about the White House as I am the NYSE being targeted, the stock market is already volatile enough without some basement dwellers trying to screw with it. This certainly makes me re-evaluate my opinion of these events.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by bl4ke360
This kind of thing needs to be done to the MSM.

Be looking forward to your visit from the NSA.

posted on Jul, 8 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by MysterE

Transportation Department

Awesome...now if they can just take out every DMV to go with it...

I truly despise that place....

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join