It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The largest tax increase in American history under the guise of climate change has passed.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by mikerussellus
It's going to be the poor, the minorities, basically everyone that voted for Obama that are going to be hurt by this.

Actually, lower income families will be able to get money from the Gov to help with the coming higher energy costs. The people who will get screwed will be the ever-shrinking middle class.

But you're right, "Main Street", my ass!!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

But they don’t care, maybe the misery this will bring will change their minds.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65

Originally posted by mikerussellus
It's going to be the poor, the minorities, basically everyone that voted for Obama that are going to be hurt by this.

Actually, lower income families will be able to get money from the Gov to help with the coming higher energy costs. The people who will get screwed will be the ever-shrinking middle class.

But you're right, "Main Street", my ass!!

This is even worse then, more people relying on the government for an 'artificial' reason. Obama and co just created another reason for people to rely on Uncle Sams help. I guess the 'rich' are going to have to pony up for that program as well?
Give it another year and there will be no 'rich' left in this country to tax.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Etsivä Romppainen
reply to post by longstalker

Hmm? Climate change is real and something has to be done. I applaud to the new law restricting American greenhouse gas emissions. This is very good. Now you can join the civilized world again. Now we can save the Earth together.

To me the idea that this will result in increase of taxes is insane. What about your children and grandchildren? You want them to live in a world of ecological disaster? Complaining about taxes in a case like this is so insanely selfish and short-sighted I wonder how you manage to live withyourself.

Actually the NWO is a good idea, if USA is full of selfish people who don't care about the world. Then you will submit. I, for one, now welcome our NWO overlords. I noticed that the Americans are so selfish people I want the NWO to control you.

I gotta apply for a job as a some kind of a foreign NWO controller in USA. I will make you pay your carbon emission taxes.

Now here we have one well brainwashed serf.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Has anyone here read the bill and broken it down to actual facts.. Just wondering I would like to see the real numbers. There is a lot of bias on these boards when it comes to politics and tends to cloud the actual facts sometimes. I don't like any politician, and I don't choose sides. I am after the truth plain and simple.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
The bill is not law yet, remember that the reason it pass the house was due to 7 Republican whores that turn their back for dirty money on the American people and those that voted against it.

So start e-mailing your senators before this goes to the senate and then be too late.

Make those seven traitors feel guilty as hell.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShiftTrio
Has anyone here read the bill and broken it down to actual facts.. Just wondering I would like to see the real numbers. There is a lot of bias on these boards when it comes to politics and tends to cloud the actual facts sometimes. I don't like any politician, and I don't choose sides. I am after the truth plain and simple.

Read the bill? The people who voted for the bill didn't read it!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I'd wait to panic. The chances of this surviving the Sentate is likely very remote. The Senate Democrats don't generally follow like sheep as the Representatives do.

One interesting thing I saw discussed on this yesterday is that Gore has a number of nearly worthless investments right now that will be worth as much as a billion dollars if this does squeak through as is. Do you suppose the Obama's have him over for drinks often

The downside is Gores personal electric bill will go from over $20,000 a year to $30,000. He may have to downsize and sleep in the same bedroom more than once a year.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by enragedmaniac

Obama himself is on tape saying that Utility Bills will skyrocket. That is a pretty clear picture of what it is. Cap and Trade in any form will be terribly destructive economically.

Does it bother you at all that your elected officials vote for history changing legislation without reading it?

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

You have no clue, do ya'?? I suggest you educate yourself on just how charitable the American people are verses others around the world.

USA Today - Americans give record amount to charity

A Nation of Givers

Americans gave, per capita, three and a half times as much to causes and charities as the French, seven times as much as the Germans, and 14 times as much as the Italians. Similarly, in 1998, Americans were 15 percent more likely to volunteer their time than the Dutch, 21 percent more likely than the Swiss, and 32 percent more likely than the Germans. These differences are not attributable to demographic characteristics such as education, income, age, sex, or marital status. On the contrary, if we look at two people who are identical in all these ways except that one is European and the other American, the probability is still far lower that the European will volunteer than the American

And that's just from our own pockets. Our tax money is given out in charity from Washington in the form of foreign aid and grants - such as the tens of billions that is being spent on AIDS research in Africa - and the hundreds of millions that went to the tsunami survivors, etc

US Aid - Foreign Aid

US Foreign Aid Summary

You cannot contribute to the UN

Unfortunately the USA pays something like 1/4 of the UNs bills and we house it in our country. That UN is a cesspool of corruption and is a useless financial black hole.

Funny! but I think that is not correct! - must be US propaganda!

I looked up the world's top donors of foreign aid! - and the USA is really not at the top! - I would more describe it as in the middle

The Scandinavian countries are the top doners of foreign aid!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e05162747829.jpg[/atsimg]

This guy has made a chart of foreign aid Net per capita/GDP per capita chart!

kriswager.blogspot.com...

But you can count this in different ways!

An Index of Donor Performance - Working Paper 67 (Revised November 2006)

Denmark, the Netherlands, Norway, and Sweden score highest while the largest donors in absolute terms, the United States and Japan, rank at or near the bottom. Standings by the 2005 methodology have been relatively stable since 1995.

." The charitable giving measure is based on an estimate of the share of observed private giving to developing countries that is attributable to a) lower overall taxes or b) specific tax incentives for giving. Despite the adjustments, overall results are dominated by differences in quantity of official aid given. This is because while there is a seven-fold range in net concessional transfers/GDP among the scored countries, variation in overall aid quality across donors appears far lower, and private giving is generally small.

The United States has significantly increased its foreign aid to poor countries but still ranks 12th

www.cgdev.org...

Think Again: U.S. Foreign Aid

“The U.S. Government Provides More Foreign Aid than Any Other Country.”

Yes. The United States gives more cash to developing countries than any other nation. Of the $69 billion in development assistance given by the world’s 22 top donors in 2003, the U.S. government contributed $16.3 billion, or just under 25 percent. But these sums mainly reflect that the United States is the largest and wealthiest donor country, accounting for 40 percent of the 22 donor countries’ total income. So, it should come as no surprise that the United States gives substantially more than, say Canada, which has one tenth the population and a much lower average income.

When U.S. foreign aid is measured on other scales, however, a different picture emerges. For example, the United States provided about $51 per citizen in official development assistance in 2002–03. That ranks it in 16th place among other major donors, behind Norway ($381 per citizen), the Netherlands ($203 per citizen), France ($96 per citizen), and the United Kingdom ($89 per citizen), among others. When aid is measured as a share of national income, the United States ranks dead last at 0.15 percent. Top givers include Norway (0.92), Denmark (0.84), Belgium (0.60), and Germany (0.28).

Moreover, foreign aid constitutes only a small share of the U.S. federal budget—much smaller than most Americans think. Surveys show that most Americans believe the federal government devotes 15 to 20 percent of the country’s expenditures to aid. The actual figure is far less than 1 percent; that’s less than one fourth of the budget share of 1965.

“Is America the Most Generous Country in the World if You Include Private Donations to Charities.”

No.

Americans certainly rise to the occasion in times of crisis, as the outpouring of charitable giving to tsunami victims demonstrated. According to U.S. government figures, private donations to low-income countries through American churches, charities, foundations, nongovernmental organizations, and college scholarships was at least $6.3 billion in 2003. And such data almost certainly understate the actual amount of private aid. Some organizations do not respond to the government survey used to collect the data, and some important forms of contribution are omitted, such as volunteer time. Alternative estimates vary, with the upper-end figure (including gifts to more developed countries such as Israel and Russia) at $17.1 billion for 2000. By this estimation, private charitable donations per American total $58 per year

www.foreignpolicy.com...

Conservatives exaggerated foreign aid to declare U.S. "most generous nation in the history of the world"

Please! read this! it explains everything!
mediamatters.org...

Sorry!

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:05 PM
link   
Come on people global warming is a farce! I've noticed everything in this country boils down to a guilt complex. Oh people are so bad! All of that bad carbon that we have put into the atmosphere. Buy a off-set! Get real and grow a pair! There is nothing wrong with minimizing your impact on the world. But the obvious self interest of policy makers and the guilt complex of the people has created quite a industry catering to alleviating the populace's feelings. Production in this country is minimal these days. We shackle our industrial strength, while developing countries are allowed to do it the "old" way. Is that not a double standard? The pollution we have today gave us all the LUXURIES we have today. More regulations leading to ways to force the public to do what is "right".

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

The Republicans who voted for this are RINO's(Republicans In Name Only). They care not one whit that calls to the Capital switchboard ran 8 to 1 against this. In other words, rather than do what the consituents wanted, they voted with the last one that bought them a drink.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

A reminder...

Please focus responses on the Topic of discussion as opposed to fellow member's charatcer and/or person.

Thank you.

» Above Politics » The largest tax increase in American history under the guise of climate change has passed. » Post Reply

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by zorkthegreat

Most americans are accountable. We are the ones who step up and feed the world when disaster strikes, we are the ones who show compassion and give the most when disaster strikes. Ulikie other countries, who blame america for everything that goes wrong in the world, we stand up and take responsiblilty. This bill is a obamanation that is designed to dystroy the american, and quite possible the world economy.
NWO Overlords? Bring it on! I don't need a firearm to take care of a few jackbooted thugs. I'll just sic my dog on them, and sit back a watch while my wife finishes them off. I wouldn't ditry my hands with the likes of trash like that!

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by longstalker

More BS to be enforced upon us while the rest of the world laugh at Global warming.

lol what? developing countries want the cheapest, fastest route towards development so it's not surprising they seem less interested in global warming. but maybe you didn't notice that across places like europe there is constantly more development and useage of renewable energy sources. it seems to be the pretty widely agreed opinion of the uk that we need to urgently move further away from high polluting industry and technology, so i don't know where you get this idea from that nobody else seems to believe in it. it's more the case that half the world fears that it's america who don't seem to want to believe in it and clearly don't care enough to make the right change.

europe, whilst not taking drastic enough action is moving in the right direction and greener policies are becoming increasingly popular all the time.

basically the problem seems to be that you think because china and india pollute so heavily that it means the whole world don't take it seriously which is entirely inaccurate. besides which it's america which contributes something like 1/4 of the annual emmisions globally. the consensus across the developed world is that global warming is a very serious issue and currently america is seen as the biggest evil of them all, considering unlike china it can't make excuses about still developing economically as china is. and it's exactly that sort of hypocrisy where america doesn't take it seriously that gives other countries every reason to think well **** you then, if you can get away with polluting then why can't we.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Renegade Bison]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorkthegreat

Originally posted by jkm1864

Originally posted by zorkthegreat
Its so terrible to contribute to society isn't it. This thread will be mostly rants of American's wanting to be greedy and selfish again and not contribute. Their right to have a car and pollute but not be accountable is in their DNA it seems.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by zorkthegreat]

Hey I have had enough of me contributing to society. I have just spent 2 months offshore and I have one month to go. In these 3 months I have just contributed $11100.00 to society in taxes. So # off # head I don't need anymore taxes. I hate You #ing dems and I can't wait for You know what because justice will be served. You people act like We are so selfish but yet You pieces of # do nothing to contribute to society except for consuming my wages and tearing up our roads.

Really, I pay 50% of my wages on TAX contributing and 25% on sales tax.

I also get off my fat arse and help people. What do you do again?

American's come over here and unfortunately our country gives them a tax break and they pay 25% just, WTF, I do more work and give more and contribute double that then you leave and take everything back and still want our healthcare and we give it then when you don't get your way you manipulate and threaten us to get your way. Some people here even pay 80% of their wages in tax to contribute. Yet all you do is dictate to us. I FOR ONE WELCOME NORTH KOREA AND IRAN TAKING ON AMERICA. Why? because the enemy of my enemy is my friend. (Snip)

You are a bunch of ungrateful yanks.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by zorkthegreat]

[edit on 27-6-2009 by asala]

Zork give me some of whatever you have been drinking because it sounds like you are pretty F'd up.

My guess is that you have never been to America based on your biased labeling of every American citizen.

America gives plenty to the world and it also takes plenty of things from the world. I can't deny that but to say that we are all horrible people who contribute nothing to our country, immigrants, and the world is just plain stupid, dense, moronic... I could list a few other fitting words but I'll leave it at that.

You really do sound very uninformed and you have brought absolutely nothing to the conversation so maybe you should just sit the rest of this one out, or maybe even future conversations that take some shred of critical thinking.

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Chevalerous

Dude, that was one retarded post. Do you know what Per Capita means? lol..

The US and Japan are the top financial donors to the UN, however as the US has 300+ million people, and countries like Norway have less than FIVE million........ then quite obviously if Norway donates a small amount, it's much higher per capita. ALWAYS.

Congrats on complete ignorance, it was almost amusing.

[edit on 6/27/2009 by Rockpuck]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by hangedman13
Come on people global warming is a farce! I've noticed everything in this country boils down to a guilt complex. Oh people are so bad! All of that bad carbon that we have put into the atmosphere. Buy a off-set! Get real and grow a pair! There is nothing wrong with minimizing your impact on the world. But the obvious self interest of policy makers and the guilt complex of the people has created quite a industry catering to alleviating the populace's feelings. Production in this country is minimal these days. We shackle our industrial strength, while developing countries are allowed to do it the "old" way. Is that not a double standard? The pollution we have today gave us all the LUXURIES we have today. More regulations leading to ways to force the public to do what is "right".

HOW can you believe this?

there's a good reason why it makes people feel guilty....because leaving a big carbon footprint is bad. if making people feel guilty for their disregard for the environment is the only way that improvements will be made then good. you might as well punch someone in the face and when they burst into tears say stop making me feel guilty! the solution is to stop committing the offense and then your conscience can be rightfully clear.

there are some political stunts to gain popularity and other 'green' policies which are barely green and just designed to alleviate guilt but come on. global warming is not an opinion, it's something which global temperature records are showing is happening. whether or not we are3 the biggest cause doesn't matter. the question is would you rather we get far more natural disasters, hurricanes, rising sea levels (already drowning some small very low lying islands) drought, blizzards? humans can adapt to small variations in temperature without much effort, but to a massive number of species they might not have time to evolve.

the question is this, are you THAT desperate for the american economy to be a bit better and so that you can drive your (very cool i must admit) hummer that you are prepared to turn a blind eye to something which is going to ultimately lead to the deaths of millions, perhaps eventually billions (namely in africa due to the climate and lack of infrastructure). i personally highly doubt humans can stop global warming even if we reduced our global emmissions to zero, but it would certainly help at least a bit. besides which turning a blind eye and not even trying just because you don't want to believe it is perhaps the single most single-minded and careless action human kind could possibly take.

forgive me for wanting my kids and grandkids to grow up in a world at least as nice as the one i grew up in. sadly it's this throw-away attitude, partially from america which is likely going to give a massive helping hand to global warming whilst you still all just worry about unimportant things like how much industry you have. it sickens me, really, and it's why this world is so utterly doomed in the long run. nobody wants to take responsibility and admit it so everyone is going to suffer the consequences.

[edit on 27-6-2009 by Renegade Bison]

posted on Jun, 27 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Renegade Bison

You are right, but you have to remember that in America nothing is done that is not to profit from it.

Now the global warming is the excuse for more profit making.

As you can see whenever the government gets influence by armies of lobbyist in behave of hundreds of private interest groups.....

The people usually gets screwed

As usual just look at the health care in other developed nations and look at what our corrupted politicians including the President is proposing.

At the end is nothing that another way to gouge the tax payer and citizens of this nation so a few can profit as usual.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join