It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bee Shortage Again This Year

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by franspeakfree

People can be so blinde! It was all over the news in 2007-2008 but has been swept under the carpet.

Raising the awareness is difficult it the dont want to listen. Bees are a pest to them. Sad.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   
reply to post by badgerprints

Yes, the government is also aware of the US, EU, ETC food shortage.

EPA has failed to respond to NRDC's Freedom of Information Act

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
past 2 weeks I've seen dozens dead on the ground, very odd

their wings looked shriveled on their backs, wonder what it could be?

Me too, made a comment about it the other day. I wasn't the only one. Is it weather related?

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

There are many possible causes for it. There are many threads on the topic here on ATS. It's been going on for the past 5+ years!! Awful.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by JacKatMtn

The nation's honeybee population had already been reduced in recent years by the tiny, bug called the varroa mite. This mite has already destroyed more than 50 percent of hives and devastated most wild honeybee populations but yes this is still unsolved.

Our future is dependent on the many benefits of honey bees, as some of us know.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

We know the government is sprayng chemicals to create changes in the weather. I'm not concluding that as the reason; although I still have concerns about the dead birds falling from the sky in NJ.

I live in Washington State and a a family member in Vegas. We both noticed on the same day there were no birds flying around and the bugs were gone. The bugs have returned. Very odd! We still dont see many birds!

Maybe I'll change this to the birds and the bees.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
This is only theory but worth consideration.

Since I was a child I've been extremely friendly with bees. So much so that I can pet them and often do when they are near. I love these gorgeous animals like crazy and have never been stung, even at the nest.

A couple occasions this past month I did see a bee or two. On a recent encounter, I had my pesky cellphone on and soon as I was within a foot of this bee he took off like a bat out of hell. Most recently I tried to duplicate the effect and it worked.

In a very luscious garden I walked over and pet a bee as usual then I went out to the vehicle to get my cell phone to test out the theory I've heard elsewhere. Soon as I got within a few feet of the bee, he took off well out of sight. Right at the peak of his lunch, he went into a fever mode and BAM! gone.

Try it yourself. Leave the phone in the basement, go outside and get close to a busy bee. Have someone watch the bee as you get your phone. Come back and by the time you get close he'll be GONE!

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Here's a few threads on ATS that describe reasons/theories why the honeybee's are dying, ...

Deadly Bee Mite may have Reached Manoa Honey Farm

Could this be one of the reasons for the bee kill going on, the article says that this mite is native to Asia but has spread worldwide.

Virus implicated in bee decline

A virus has emerged as a strong suspect in the hunt for the mystery disease killing off North American honeybees.
******SKIP******
Genetic research showed that Israeli Acute Paralysis Virus (IAPV) turned up regularly in hives affected by Colony Collapse Disorder (CCD).

The simple reason all the bees are dying off..

But it now appears that a much more basic culprit has killed the bees -- Bayer Corporation. Colony Collapse Disorder is poisoning with a known insect neurotoxin called Clothianidin, a pesticide manufactured by Bayer, which has been clearly linked to massive bee die offs in Germany and France.

These were just a few of the past threads here on ATS with info on what the real cause of the bees disappearance might be.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

You should win an award if youre correct. Off I go to test my cell phone. If I can find a Bee!

I must admit. My computor has an excellent view of the sky. It's a beautiful sunny day and I still have not seen one bird!! Very weird. Ive seen a hornet and a few yellow jackets, no others.

Has anyone else noticed a bird decline?? My relative in Vegas built a bird hous feeder last month and hasnt had, even one bird guest yet.

Please pay attention to your skies and let me know.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

Thanks. I'm aware of all the threads. someone pointed it out yesterday.

This is a new season. We now have over 22 states affected, as well as Germany. Some bees have returned to isolated hives and ost have not. What ever the cause it's still here.

I wasnt aware of previous threads on Bees but it's always good to re-addresss the issue, rather than sweeping it under the rug.

This is a serious problem.

Thanks for the links.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
As much rain as we've had, the honey isn't getting produced very fast. This is the worst allergies I've ever had. The wildflowers have come out really good, the queen ann's lace have been more like bushes and the tiger lilies have been almost as tall as sunflowers. Unfortunately, we caught our puppy playing with a bee.

posted on Jun, 25 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I keep hearing about how all of the bee shortages, but being an individual who actually has bees colonies between one of the wall of his house, I can say their doing fine where I live. I guess some of you would call it an infestation, but I call it a mutual coexistence.

But, It sucks the bees are dying, I'm sure temperature is playing a big factor. A lot of species are dying off because their bodies are not resilient to temperature extreme changes or fluctuations.

However, I don't think the bees will die off permanently, I'm sure they'll adapt or will migrated to more temperate area. Bee has been on the Earths for millions of years, they have been through many warming and cooling cycles. They'll find a way to survive.

Additional factors, like GM crops or pesticides may make it harder for them to survive. Obvious pesticides will poison out the bee, as Keyhole has stated.

I think the pollen of GM crops has the potential to lack an essential protein and compound it it that would allow the bee to produce honey or food for itself. Or maybe has a mutated protein or compound which kills the bee, kind of like mad cow disease. Who knows how GM would effect our ecosystem, besides screwing up the diversity of our crops.

[edit on 25-6-2009 by skyblueff0]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by wonderworld

Not going to touch them no way no how. VERY allergic,lol

You can come here and take all want though!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:13 AM
link   
How are companies like Monsanto still in business? They are destroying organic crops, and they are more than likely playing a major role in the decline of the honey bee population worldwide.

This company seems like they possess zero regard for human life. They also don't seem overly concerned about the negative impact that their implementations may cause on a global scale.

A line needs to be drawn when a company tries to profiteer at the expense of humanities health and well being.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
past 2 weeks I've seen dozens dead on the ground, very odd

their wings looked shriveled on their backs, wonder what it could be?

Would have to be climate change I guess we will find out sooner or later.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 05:48 AM
link   

I remember this being on the news in 2007-2008, I thought they had actually disappeared for good without a trace!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by skyblueff0

Youre right about the GM crops. They are highly loaded with pesticides.

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Actually duplicate threads are a waste. Especially when some were made in this season as well. You've kind of shrugged off all the other well-researched threads on this issue. You just posted an article. It's not right.

There's a search feature that is great for checking to see if topics already exist.

Now information on the issue is just strewn about on more threads, making it hard for people to learn what's going on and making it hard to look at the research.

But because this was due to an article, the discussion is about the article, and once the article becomes outdated people will return to the topic threads hopefully.

If I get a warn for this, I'll wear it proudly. But this is unfair. Ten flags for an article on a topic which has many many well researched threads, aside from my own.

When I have accidentally posted a repeat thread, I tell people not to post there and alert the staff to please close it.

[edit on 6/26/2009 by ravenshadow13]

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by winotka

We have a pollen alert here too. I also have seasonal allergies but Alavert is a lifesaver.

Sorry to hear about the Bee and the puppy!

posted on Jun, 26 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Why are you mad at me? You said "I'm bumping your thread and gave yours" No one followed you it isnt my fault. things have changes since you wrote yours. I disagree with your ideas of missing bees, AIDS and West Nile sorry. Dont take it personal. I'm an environmentalist and different concerns than you do so please leave me alone and let me continue discussing the Bee problem. You should be mad at those who didnt follow you to your old thread,,, not me.

No hard feelings. Ive never met you before yesterday. Have a nice day.

P.S I was also upset someone copied a thread I made yesterday and was posted today but I'm not on his site tecomplaining about flags. If it makes you feel better I'll go to your site and give you a flag, even though I disagree if it makes you happy.

[edit on 26-6-2009 by wonderworld]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join