It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France considering ban on burqas, spokesman says

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Our women have to cover up in there countries.. they should have to show a bit of neck and leg here
reply to post by Dermo

ROTF! I so agree! And always remember guys... There's no one smarter than a topless dancer

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   
The microcosms of society are forever drawing closer towards an "us and them".

You do realise Islam wants to purge western idealism off the face of the Earth. Off with those burqas i say and show your bloody faces.

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
I'm seeing this more and more on the streets of Houston, TX.. The temperature is in the 90's during the days now. Don't tell me women want to wear this stuff except that they've been conditioned to think they are without it.

A couple of weeks ago I saw a woman covered in gray, except for her hands and eyes. She went in a restaurant, got food, brought it out to some men whom I suppose were doctors. She set their food up, set their drinks up, served them, then sat down to eat. She had to put her food up under that thing (niquab) on her face in order to eat. She wants to live like that? Please! It's subhuman.
The woman on the left is similar to what I saw:
Spaghetti Eating, Burka Wearing Women!

Recently, I have seen the full black burkas in this heat and humidity. At 9 p.m. now, it is 89 degrees with 66% humidity. Think about it.

If I made my dog wear similar garb, I would be up before a judge for cruelty!

I don't think they should be banned though. On the contrary, I think Muslim men should be required to wear them too.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Lookingup

That was one of the funniest videos i think i've ever seen.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

He/she me foe too. I'm not sorry, i made my comment and i'll stick with it.

I just made his/her (rather long and distinguished) Foe list also! I see I'm in good company!

I get the feeling that it's easy to hit the foe button when you can't think up an argument.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I have a tremendous amount of respect for anyone willing to suffer for their religion. I don't condone it, just because I don't do it.

I think there are a lot of issues here. There IS a safety issue, whether you want to admit it or not, but to infringe on their rights to worship the way they deem appropriate is just not right. They may actually be forced to wear them as some have said. We all know that fanatical people have no problem killing a woman, or anyone else, who they see as bringing shame or dishonor to their family. It has happened way too many times to deny it.

The danger I see here is that if they are outlawed, and a woman gets seen, her husband could be well within his perceived 'rights' to inflict great harm on her. That would be terribly unfortunate, but can you not see it happening?

If a woman chooses to stay in a situation that is demeaning or dangerous, she has made her choice and we have to honor that. If it isn't by choice, but by fear, we should try to help.

Government has no place in religion, but maybe religion has no place in public?

Awful slippery slope if you ask me.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Notice the big laughy smiley face after the sentence..!

Even when you use them, people cant spot a joke and get offended ffs.

Do you have to write !!!!****JOKE****!!!! after every joke or what?

By the way, i'd just like to point out..

Call for Islamic Burqas to be banned in Australia

Looks like the fashion police may be trying to come out to play in your country also

That smiley face stands for Cheeky but good humored

So does that one
etc

[edit on 20/6/09 by Dermo]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by notsosweet

The danger I see here is that if they are outlawed, and a woman gets seen, her husband could be well within his perceived 'rights' to inflict great harm on her. That would be terribly unfortunate,

If Burkas are outlawed what "right" does the husband, father, brother, etc. have to inflict harm on the woman? Burka's are illegal!

What right do husbands have to inflict harm on their wives?

What kind of a husband would inflict harm on his wife?

What kind of religion would allow husbands to inflict harm on their wives?

Why would any religion want husbands to harm their wives?

What religion would allow one of its members to harm another because of dress?

Tres bizar mes ami!

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
By the way, i'd just like to point out..
Call for Islamic Burqas to be banned in Australia
Looks like the fashion police may be trying to come out to play in your country also

The article in the OP describes members of the French parliament wanting to ban burqas.

The article in your link described a radio DJ wanting to ban burqas.

Which do you think has more power to ban burqas, members of parliament or a radio DJ?

Don't think that I have any love for the Australian government. I live here but it doesn't mean that I have any sense of patriotic duty to pound my chest about it. I hope that the proposal to ban burqas is never taken seriously in Australia. Let 'Aussie' women wear them, to further stigmatise themselves.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I know what the article says, the mindset is still the same and my point is still the same.

I still think France should do it.. especially if they thing women's rights are the main issue at hand.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:20 AM
link   

I still think France should do it.. especially if they thing women's rights are the main issue at hand.

The women live in France. They have the right not to wear them if they choose.

They wear them because they choose to wear them.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

In many senses that is true..

In others it is not.. it all depends on how strictly the husband enforces the rules and sharia law, what variation of Islam they practice and how seriously they take their religious leaders.

Are you honestly telling me that a country like France would be considering this if they didn't feel that women's rights are being infringed? You obviously know more about France than its elected politicians (a large portion of them are muslim by the way) if that is the case.

The fact is that when that when something is shown to be infringing on the rights of some but not others, it is usually banned..

This in my mind seems to be where they are coming from with this suggestion so it seems fair enough.

Also, a bit of extra muslim integration in western Europe would help things a lot. And this would definitely lead to that.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Are you honestly telling me that a country like France would be considering this if they didn't feel that women's rights are being infringed? You obviously know more about France than its elected politicians (a large portion of them are muslim by the way) if that is the case.

I know more about common sense than the French politicians do.

You can't legislate to protect sane and healthy adults from themselves.

The fact is that these adult women choose to wear their burqas. It's their choice. You can't legislate against that. They have the right to wear them.

The fact is that when that when something is shown to be infringing on the rights of some but not others, it is usually banned..

Wearing burqas is their choice. It is their right to wear them.

Also, a bit of extra muslim integration in western Europe would help things a lot. And this would definitely lead to that.

They don't want to integrate in the way that you want them to. They want to continue to worship their own way.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
You can't legislate to protect sane and healthy adults from themselves.

See soft drug bans for an example of that.. and a multitude of other retarded laws.

Wearing burqas is their choice. It is their right to wear them.

Some women choose to be prostitutes, others are pimped out and almost in slavery.. Prostitution is banned mainly because of the latter.

Some women choose to wear burqas.. others are beaten into wearing them.. how do you regulate womens rights there?

Look, im not going to agree with you completely on this and I know you are not with me either so im not going to argue anymore.

That smiley face means something along the lines of "peace"..

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 04:58 AM
link   
France, the principle of laïcité has been strictly implemented - separation of Church and State.

In the French Republic, you are French - that's it. Religion and other cultural identity are not publicly endorsed. Regardless of whether an item of clothing is an individual choice or not, under French Constitutional Law, it is forbidden.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
In the French Republic, you are French - that's it. Religion and other cultural identity are not publicly endorsed. Regardless of whether an item of clothing is an individual choice or not, under French Constitutional Law, it is forbidden.

Source?

I'd like to see some sort of passage that proves what you claim.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   
Like i said elsewhere, they will slowly dilute islam, until all muslims are so obsessed with sex like all christians today.

The french government have no right to tell people how to dress, as long as they wear something.

Slippery slope starts now for islam, and the iranian people protesting are helping those in the west water down there religion, and history of hundreds of years.

Like i said elsewhere, do those wanting change in iran, really know what they want.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

It's common knowledge.

France has strict laws on separation of Church and State. Burqa's, crucifixes and Jewish skull caps were banned in 2002 for school's.

Article 1 of the French Constitution is;

La France est une République indivisible, laïque, démocratique et sociale.

(France is a secular republic)

[edit on 20-6-2009 by infinite]

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
It's common knowledge.

If it's that common, then you should be able to supply a source link to prove your claim.

France has strict laws on separation of Church and State. Burqa's, crucifixes and Jewish skull caps were banned in 2002 for school's.

We're not discussing schools here. We're discussing adult women wearing them down the street.

posted on Jun, 20 2009 @ 05:27 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1033

It has nothing to do with diluting Islam. It's about intergration, adoptation to another society/country. Those women who wear burka's probably don't speak any french nor will they intergrate into France. If I went to the US I should speak English and adjust to the American way of living. I think those women should do the same regardless of their religion.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join