It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

France considering ban on burqas, spokesman says

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

France considering ban on burqas, spokesman says

www.news.com.au

FRANCE may introduce a law banning full burqas if a parliamentary commission finds the growing number of women wearing them have been coerced into doing so.

Nearly 60 legislators signed a proposal on Wednesday calling for a parliamentary commission to look into the spread of the burqa in France, a garment that they said amounted "to a breach of individual freedoms on our national territory".
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Wow, the fashion police are at it again.

I think that burqas are silly. They can't be comfortable and they can't be healthy. However, if those women want to wear them, then go right ahead! They've got the right to make themseves look stupid in front of others, displaying their devotion to their god (or is it their male masters?).

Well done, France... for a country that worships such pretentious fashions and designer lables, you're arse-backwards when it comes to personal choice.

Stick to trying to improve the quality of the airplanes that you manufacture, instead of worrying about what those oppressed females are wearing.

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 22/6/2009 by Mirthful Me]

+13 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

Sorry man but there is no pleasing people on this site.

If the French had said that they have no problem with them, half this site would be giving out about how islamified France has become.

Now that they are banning them, they are infringing on the rights of Muslims..

What is one to do?

Personally I would be glad if they did. It would be a stand by a western country against the forced spread of Muslim culture onto our streets and into our faces.

Our women have to cover up in there countries.. they should have to show a bit of neck and leg here

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo
Our women have to cover up in there countries.. they should have to show a bit of neck and leg here

I won't type the reply I want to. I know I'll get warned for it!!!

Western countries, like France, shouldn't be trying to impinge upon the rights of people to dress how they like. It shouldn't be a tit-for-tat response that because the muslim nations make our girls cover-up, 'we' make their girls expose themselves.

I have a solution for girls who don't want to be forced to cover-up in muslim nations - don't go there. Spend your tourist dollars in a more hospitable country. There's more than one way to rebel against BS laws and losing tourists wouldn't be something desirable for their economies.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
I have a solution for girls who don't want to be forced to cover-up in muslim nations - don't go there. Spend your tourist dollars in a more hospitable country. There's more than one way to rebel against BS laws and losing tourists wouldn't be something desirable for their economies.

LOL the few countries that enforce the hijab as a dress code do NOT have many tourists anyway! Iran doesn't care, neither does Saudi Arabia.

That is silly. I think banning head scarfs is going to far, but banning burkas seems reasonable.

Better yet they need to STOP allowing fanatical immigrants that want their women to dress like to that to come into the country.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I actually think it's a good idea.

Not for any religious reasons but as a way of stopping men from disguising themselves as women. It's happened many times before and i think in some ways France are doing a better job at sorting things out than the UK.

We in the Uk are far too PC...

+1 more 
posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw

However, if those women want to wear them, then go right ahead!

Do you really think women would wear those things voluntarily? I'd bet good money that any woman who is wearing one of those things is doing so because she's afraid of being abused if she doesn't wear one.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by nikiano
I'd bet good money that any woman who is wearing one of those things is doing so because she's afraid of being abused if she doesn't wear one.

If she's living in France, then she has the right under French law to contact the police with regards to her abuse.

Ultimately, it's her choice, as a religious zealot, if she wants to wear the burqua, or not.

When a country thinks about legislating against an article of clothing, then you know that things are really screwed. Especially, when that country is supposed to represent the ideals of a 'free' Western society.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Cheers, France! here here! I wonder if any of the women will take them up on it?

But it's a great idea. Maybe other nations will follow suit.

Oddly, my pharmacy just hired a pharmacy tech who wears one.
All I can see are her eyes, and I always feel like she's staring at me.
Well, actually, she IS staring at me. But I can only see her eyes so no hint as to what she is thinking.

I think she's thinking: "oh. you are one of those blonde floozy's, who talks back to men, and have to have your own way". Or something.

Yes. I am.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting
I think she's thinking: "oh. you are one of those blonde floozy's, who talks back to men, and have to have your own way". Or something.
Yes. I am.

Wow. When did you pass your mind-reading course?

Does she want to restrict your right, as a blonde floozy, to strip off down the beach and have the boys chat you up?

Why don't you say 'hello' to her next time you see her and ask her how she's going? Ask her how often she goes to the beach and what she thinks of all the blonde floozys stripping off.

Edit: Not that I think there's anything wrong with blonde floozys stripping off at the beach.

[edit on 19-6-2009 by tezzajw]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I passed my mind reading course about two years ago.
Thanks, for asking.

What I do or don't do on the beach is not really anything to you.

To be honest with you, I have smiled at her, and tried to talk to her.
Not very friendly.

Besides, if she wants to strip my rights to do anything...she's kinda outta luck, wouldn't you say so?

Where's your sense of humor? Left it at Troll school?

[edit on 19-6-2009 by ladyinwaiting]

[edit on 19-6-2009 by ladyinwaiting]

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:06 PM
link   
It won't happen.
2nd line not necessary as I already said what the outcome will be although ironically I just created a 2nd line.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Not very friendly.

Fair enough. At least you made the effort to do so.

Where's your sense of humor? Left it at the mind reading school?

Humour doesn't always translate well across a computer screen.

I don't find anything funny about a country potentially outlawing an item of dress. Even if I think that it's a ridiculous item of dress.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   

I think banning head scarfs is going to far, but banning burkas seems reasonable.
reply to post by Sonya610

Darn right!

Burkas are ugly, I can't imagine a woman would wear one if it weren't for a husband or family member that said wear the Burka or get stoned or some other bad thing!

I say nip those Burka's in the bud while you still can France!

Last time I checked there was a lot of anti Arab sentiment in France. Always has been. The demographic shift is not helping.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

reply to post by tezzajw

I passed my mind reading course about two years ago.
Thanks, for asking.

What I do or don't do on the beach is not really anything to you.

Not very friendly.

Besides, if she wants to strip my rights to do anything...she's kinda outta luck, wouldn't you say so?

Where's your sense of humor? Left it at Troll school?

Keep em coming! This is good and funny!

Maybe they know some thing we don't, like, more protection from Swine Flue!?

When is the last time you all went to a fashion show or watched the fashion channel and they (Prada ) and other designers introduced the latest Burka styles?!

I am all for free will. I would say over 80% of the women wearing them is not of their choice! Correct me if I am wrong on this.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Its none of your business. And here you all are sticking your nose in their business and religion.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Memysabu
Its none of your business. And here you all are sticking your nose in their business and religion.

A fair point.... But a short sighted one.

Maybe people are just afraid. Maybe the french shouldn't HAVE to feel like they are the ones who have to change.

If it's purely a religious debate, one would ask why do some muslim ladies wear the Burka, and others don't?

So it's not like there's a set in stone value that dictates this.

Surely the French have every right to make a decision in their own country, as every muslim woman has the right to decide to wear one.

Or do they?

Oh and thankyou for making me a respected foe. It gives me a tingly feeling

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Memysabu

Oh, hi! Here you are! I've been looking for you to try and determine the reason for my "foe" status. I tracked you down through your recent posts.

I'm sorry if I offended you. Truly I am. You are absolutely right.
What a woman does isn't any body's business, especially as it pertains to her religion. The only issue here, was the matter of force. If she was being forced to wear something against her will.

My thoughts are you took offense at what I said about the woman at the pharmacy not being friendly. I know perfectly well that could have been a language barrier, and I should have said that in my post. I'm just really not sure.

Anyway, my best to you. Sorry if I upset you.

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:19 PM
link   
He/she made me foe too.

I'm not sorry, i made my comment and i'll stick with it.

If you don't like my opinion then that's cool too....

posted on Jun, 19 2009 @ 09:24 PM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

Not so fast.....where do you think you just got that star?

You are welcome!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join