It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010 FIFA World Cup thread

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

Rio is definately out.

This is terrible news.

Rio seems to have matured so much, leads by example and seemed to have a confidence about him under Capello, as if he KNEW both he and the England team were good enough to win this tournamant.
Not arrogance but self-belief.

We will miss him.

But it is not the end of the world.

Neither Ledley King or any of the other back up centre halves have Rio's cultured awareness, but they are able players in their own right and I am sure that even though Terry may not be captain in name, he will boss the defence and keep them right.

We can still win, it will be just a little bit harder.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Losing Rio is pretty bad news for you guys

But as you say not the end of the world, maybe just the world cup campaign.....JOKING!!!!!

Passion when you're down counts and makes quite the difference.

posted on Jun, 4 2010 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Terrible day for Rio Ferdinand, he has been England best centre half since Sol Cambells' retiring from international duty.

He had so much pace and poise,Terry in comparison is a waddling duck.

Drogba is going to be missed also .by the Ivorians.

Slovenia beat NZ 3 goals to one, and Ivory coast beat Japan overnight.

The Aussies play the Yanks tonight, should be a good game.

posted on Jun, 5 2010 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Robben has a hamstring injury, either tonight or tomorrow morning the severity of the injury will be known. He's so good, but so often injured :shk:

Keeping my fingers crossed, it would be a major blow if he is out.

[edit on 5-6-2010 by Mdv2]

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
USA 3 v Australia 1
An open game albeit at 70% pace and effort.
The Americans have an abundance of pace and physicallity.
Australia I cannot judge, even tough Iam a devout socceroo fan.
They either are stalling/ foxing big time or they are just not good enough by small margins.
I cannot believe that Pimm Verbeek left Tommy Oar, Lecke, and Carle out of the WC squad, they could have benefited from their youthful confidence and PACE.
Oh well perhaps the Dutchman sees a secound round outcome as a positive.
With tweaks involving the aforementioned players perhaps the Aussies could have achieved a lot more?
The USA will be a handful for England, but tactics may see England prevail, as opposed to man for man merit.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Hoping everyone in our pool under estimates NZ, Serbia did and looked what happened, 1-0, suck it hard Serbia. Am not really sure who to slap a beat on to win it at the moment, got .. 7 days is it now, to do so.

My main thoughts were Brazil, Spain and the Gerries. But then there are my secondary guesses of France, the Ities or England.

Not gonna go with Portugal or Argentina, might be a mistake, but they will get far I know that, just not that confident of them going all the way.

As for NZ, not sure about herberts 3-4-3 approach, does mean the midfielders and strikers may have to keep dropping back to defend, showed vsing Serbia and Slovenia. our best shot at beating a team will definitely be Slovakia. I know in our pool Paraguay will cause Italy a bit of trouble, Italy are notorious slow starters in the world cup.

Though one match I definitely want to see is England vs. U.S in the group stage. Hoping England will slap the U.S around a lot, but I am prepared for an upset.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lepracornman

There will be no slip up or upset; England will beat the USA.

I have been looking around for a value bet, I have backed England at various prices but even though I really do fancy a semi-final appearance for them I think the 7/1 that is generally available for them now as being too short.

I had a daft feeling for Uruguay and have had a daft small each way on them at 66/1 but according to the British bookies Serbia are considered the best live outsider at 50/1.

But for me the value looks to be in what should be the other half of England and Brazil's side of the draw.
The Netherlands at 10's are value and I think that 14/1 for Germany is far too big, they have a good chance of getting to the semi's where anything can happen.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The injury of Robben is by far not as bad as the medical staff expected it to be!! It will take only 8 till 10 days to recover from a small crack in his hamstring. This news really made my day.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:46 PM
link   

A stampede by fans during a pre-World Cup match at the Makhulong Stadium between Nigeria and North Korea on Sunday left 14 slightly hurt and one policeman in a serious condition.

The match was stopped for around five minutes early in the second half because of the injuries and safety of the fans in the overcrowded main stand where the fencing had been removed.

"There are 14 people slightly injured and one policeman seriously injured," South African police official Eugene Opperran said.

He said the stampede started when too many fans had obtained free tickets for the match and stormed the entrance to the stadium.

Hundreds of mostly Nigerian fans pushed the gate on to the police officer in their effort to enter the 10,000-seater stadium to watch the match between the two World Cup participants.

uk.eurosport.yahoo.com...

Another World Cup warm up match and yet more troubles. Let's hope nothing likes this takes place during the actual tournament.

posted on Jun, 6 2010 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by LiveForever8

I have to say LIveI have tkts to this, but I was not comfortable with going....

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

zazz, I have been all other the place watching England, seen some amazing sights and had some great times, and some not so great, lol, but I've never been really tempted to go to South Africa.
I think it could be a potential disaster for England fans and possibly football fans in general.
Hope it's not....just a feeling.

However, if we get to the final I may have to get a flight just to be there....we'll see.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

Free

I had the tickets with a friend of ours who was killed late last year. I was very very unsettled about South Africa, just a gut feeling....but in the end I gave the tickets to his brother to take his kids, thought that was better in the end anyway.

I have many many World cup parties planned
so still will be fun.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
So uh... when does Canada play?

You know almost every kid in every school in Canada has played soccer since I can remember and we have several city leagues from pee-wee level to seniors as well as semi-pro leagues across the country.

Throw in a very diverse immigrant population including people from many soccer powerhouses, especially in the large urban centres, and I never could figure out why we continually fail to qualify for the World Cup tournament.

Must have something to do with winter.

So. Since cheering for Canada is not an option (again) my "cheering karma" is definitely up for sale.

Who would like to start the bidding?

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Its got to be OZ!!!!!!

Come on, we are colonial cousins!

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by zazzafrazz
Come on, we are colonial cousins!

Fail!

That argument brings this to mind:

Colonised by Wankers

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

Got to be the Mother Country, England!

Unless of course your one of those pesky French Canadians...in which case,

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Got to be the Mother Country, England!

Double Fail!!

Caulise, esti de tabarnac!

[edit on 7 Jun 10 by Gools]

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

lol I BELIEVE I should manners and decorum your post

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Gools

You were obviously listening to Springer on Saturday night, lol.

posted on Jun, 7 2010 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by zazzafrazz

What?

All I said was chalice, eucharist and tabarnacle... all perfectly proper words only said in French Canadian.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join