It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

So I shouldn't say I'm a rehabilitated vampire because I had some pointed teeth filed?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
LOl

Off the scale.

So I am now an Highly Sensitive Indigo Pyschic Shamanistic Alien Wizard Yogi.

Too many labels stressing me out lol, will have multiple personality label next or maybe multiple new age labels disorder...

I prefer simple human, unique but simple and no better or worse than anyone else.

To all the sensitives trust me on this Meditate Every morning before spending time with people.

Ensure you see and feel for at least 5mins at end of session a golden light around you, oh and rose quartz is good to carry, any quartz really but rose is best, cleanse it regularly.

Use insense/sage in your room where you sleep at least once a week, Frankinsense as comes with small charcoal lighters is very very good to.

Simply Human love to all.

Elf

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

I was terrified of storms until I prayed during one(not trying to get into a theological angle).

I was terrified of tornadoes until one skipped through my neighborhood.

I don't like claps of thunder, but I have ptsd from witnessing a shooting. That's usually when I startle easy, when there's a loud burst of sound. I used to almost break down, but biofeedback and hypnotism helped with that a lot.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Wow, I can honestly say, I did not expect so many replies! You wouldn't believe how happy it makes me to hear from so many people I can relate to.

Ok, first of all, I scored a 27 on the test, and I do think it is possibly a trait that is passed on genetically. I was just discussing it with my mother, and guess what? She scored a 24 on the test, and also told me that she suspects it runs in the family, due to certain characteristics of previous generations.

Virtually all the experiences that have been discussed are experiences that I myself have had.
Crying because of a particularly emotional advertisement, movie, song? Yup
That one ASPCA ad with Sarah McLachlan always gets to me.
I've always been empathetic...growing up, whenever my sister would get hurt (her own fault, she was a bit reckless) I would feel so bad for her, I'd start crying. This extends even to animals. I used to raise chickens, pheasants, and chukar, and one day a family friend came over and slaughtered some of them. I couldn't watch, and I knew then that I shouldn't be eating meat. It would be kind of hypocritical, I think.
Btw, I don't have a problem with people eating meat, it's just not for me.

I can't stand violence, horror movies, people arguing in front of me.

Freaking out because someone is staring at me while I'm trying to work? Definitely.
I avoid cooking, unless it's very late at night, for this very reason. It seems like it's just a magnet for people. Maybe they're just paranoid that you're going to put something weird in the food.

Originally posted by misfitoy
I always thought I was the most sensitive person on the planet... never quite fit in (hence the username lol) Heck, just posting on any forum rattles my nerves. *needs a hug*

Aww, *hug* I know what you mean! I considered not making this thread because I really dislike drawing attention to myself, but I figured maybe it would help some people out so it would be worth it. When I checked on this thread after waking up and saw all the attention it had gotten, I was like...omg what have I done!

Originally posted by Greenize
Also, I would like to know if any of you have this problem: There are certain people that when around me, drain me. What I mean is, after they leave I feel like I need to lay down, I have no energy left in me...please tell me some of you have this problem too!!

Yes, I've experienced that before. Generally it happens with people that are very high energy, outgoing, and demand a lot of interaction and small-talk, or very negative people, where nothing is ever right, the kind that thrive on drama.

Originally posted by seagrass
Now I wonder how many of you have water signs in the Rising, Moon, or Sun categories. Because that's the first thing I think of.

I'm Virgo in Sun, Leo in Moon, and Leo rising. The Moon is in the 1st house though:
"The Moon is in the first house. This position indicates that you are strongly influenced by your feelings and moods. " I don't take astrology tooo seriously, but I still find it interesting.
I recommend www.astro.com..., they have free natal charts & interpretations. Free is always good.

Originally posted by Dewm0nster
I wonder why people are so desperate to cling to these unique titles, or this overwhelming need to be "Special."

I don't think I'm special because I'm sensitive. I've always felt flawed, worse than everyone else, wishing I could fit in. But now, I'm happy there is a name for it, that it's not a disorder, and that it's normal! 15-20% of the population is actually a lot of people, and does not fit my criteria for special. Besides, if we wanted to be special, why would we be so happy and relieved to hear from other people that are like us?

Originally posted by caitlinfaeAre there any ideas about how to deal with it on a practical level? (Although I'm not sure I want to....I like it the way it is!)

There is something called The Comfort Zone Newsletter that has a lot of useful, practical information about coping with being so sensitive.

Originally posted by AceWombat04
Here's a Jungian personality type test. If you think you're someone who fits this thread's article to a T, try it and see if you end up as an INFJ or something else with strong intuitive and feeling scores.
INFP here! Introversion, iNtuition, Feeling, Perception. I think you may be on to something...

Originally posted by Awarenessiskey I'm at the age of 21 and I'm still EXTREMELY ticklish also. When your being tickled, your getting a massive wave of ticklish sensation, that is the input. Vice versa, people that aren't that ticklish, they get a slow or little input of that sensation,
does that make sense? Most child when they are young, they are usually ticklish as hell.

I'm very very ticklish, and it can be SO annoying sometimes. I seem to get goosebumps a lot too, for reasons other than being cold. Anyone else this way?

As far as some of the mental health issues being discussed, I have anxiety about certain things and am a bit agoraphobic. It's kinda selective. I love being outside, surrounded by nature, love quiet stores where they sell books and art supplies and seeing movies, but I can't stand malls, restaurants, any place with lots of loud people and too many things going on at once.
I am generally a very calm, happy and relaxed person though.

Thank you all so much for replying, it's been fascinating!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Now that I've replied to several posters, I scored a 20.

I think my element is air.

I am left-handed, but can be ambidextrous since I sprained my left hand really bad when I was 9.

I am shy but have been working in retail for 11 yrs. and am usually called softspoken.

I got picked on in school until the 6th grade. I don't know how I went from bean pole to nicest in my grade.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
I am shy but have been working in retail for 11 yrs. and am usually called softspoken.

There's a point - I wonder how many of us are softly spoken? I was extremely so, it used to be very embarrassing especially in shops. The staff could never hear me, but my throat would be closing up and I couldn't speak any louder.

I'm a lot better now but I find it really hard to raise my voice. I always associate speaking more loudly with being angry. Unless I'm excited about something, then I go up a few notches.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by berenike

Yes, I feel like I'm shouting sometimes and somebody will think I am being rude. Luckily I just had one director that "observed" all the time and critiqued most things and expected to have 3 things done at once.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Astrithr,

Thank you for the thread and I thank all my fellow ATS brethren (sisteren included) for they’re input also. I scored 24. I always thought I was alone in these feelings. Very reassuring to know I am not alone. All I can say is WOW - THAT’S ME

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   
How many of you have found you enjoy writing, such as at ATS, better than actually talking. I find I can write what I have trouble saying. I am actually a quiet person who rarely says much out loud... but get me here.... blah blah blah....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
How many of you have found you enjoy writing, such as at ATS, better than actually talking. I find I can write what I have trouble saying. I am actually a quiet person who rarely says much out loud... but get me here.... blah blah blah....

Blah, blah, blah. I hate having to put anything into words. It's hard; I suck at it; I get dizzy, forgot all the words I need and have to spend all kinds of time remembering them. By the time I remember the words, I forgot how I wanted to verbalize the image in my mind and I have to start over from the beginning but I'm exhasted anyway and just eek by with a minimal commentary such as this. I'd much prefer some form of telepathy.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Again, I'm going to recommend Elaine Aron's book, as a way to not only understand but how to live with being HSP. Thinking back, I must have read the book when it came out, because I remember now giving it to someone to read to help them understand me.
didn't work, as I had to split in 1997.

One thing I always had happen was to have people (whether I knew them or were complete strangers) engage me in conversation and end up telling me about their life, not necessarily wanting advice but just someone to listen. I always kept confidences. Anyplace, anytime. I didn't feel it a burden, just a curiosity that it happened so often, out of the blue. I guess they felt safe to pour out their heart/mind.
That's a skill that helps when you're stuck for 3 hours with a tow truck driver who loves to talk.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I actually prefer speaking as it feels to me like an emotional release. And I can actually speak much faster than I can write. When writing, I have to take the stream of my consciousness and place it in an order of numbers, words, syntax, grammar, etc...

When I speak, I find it much easier to simply allow thoughts to flow out into words. And anyone who's spoken to me when I get in a "mood" can tell you stream-of-consciousness my speech can be. Some have even called it fascinating lol

Perhaps interesting... My initial time here at ATS was quite terrifying on a level. I felt like I'd stepped inside a beehive.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by desert
Again, I'm going to recommend Elaine Aron's book, as a way to not only understand but how to live with being HSP. Thinking back, I must have read the book when it came out, because I remember now giving it to someone to read to help them understand me.
didn't work, as I had to split in 1997.

If there's a chapter on Highly Sardonic Personality, I'm in for a copy.

One thing I always had happen was to have people (whether I knew them or were complete strangers) engage me in conversation and end up telling me about their life, not necessarily wanting advice but just someone to listen. I always kept confidences. Anyplace, anytime. I didn't feel it a burden, just a curiosity that it happened so often, out of the blue. I guess they felt safe to pour out their heart/mind.
That's a skill that helps when you're stuck for 3 hours with a tow truck driver who loves to talk.

It's simple to combat that. Just wear a face that projects the presence of a serial-killer like soul. If anyone approaches wanting to give you any details about themselves you couldn't care less about, just say "What?!" in an exasperated tone. If that doesn't work, say you don't feel well and you need to go lie down. Cough in their direction. Leave.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

blah, blah, blah...I love it!

Yes, you and seagrass and me, too. I thought I was the only one like that. Speaking words do fail me too many times. The written word comes much easier.
Guess what? I actually was asked to give a presentation on the HSP book to a small group...
...it went over well because I was in polite company, it was a topic I certainly was familiar with and happy to share it, and the subject was so new that I felt "safe" to field the questions, as no one engaged me in an informal debate..that would have literally left me standing there speechless.

I've learned not to sweat public stuff too much...Life has its way of working things out. One time I was pulled onstage by friends to sing a song in a foreign language...it turned out that the song to sing was the ONLY one I knew in that language.
OTOH, I try to avoid public gatherings as much as possible.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I avoided college classes with presentations. My heart would sink if I was in one and the syllabus would mention it... omg. Speech class in high school? I wanted to die.
And interview anxiety keeps me from jobs.
I heard my grandpa actually fainted in speech he had to give at a company party.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Most of my family have been college professors, so I don't know why I can't do the public speaking.

People have a tendency to open up to me also. It doesn't usually bother me, but some people do seem to drain me.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
reply to post by seagrass

Most of my family have been college professors, so I don't know why I can't do the public speaking.

People have a tendency to open up to me also. It doesn't usually bother me, but some people do seem to drain me.

Watch out for these types:
Energy Vampires

An energy vampire or psychic vampire is a being said to have the ability to feed off the "life force" (often also called qi, prana, energy or vitality) of other living creatures. Alternative terms for these persons are pranic vampire, empathic vampire, energy predator (see below), psy/psi-vamp, energy parasite, energivore or psionic vampire.

IF you have a manic pole, then you can use it against them by overloading them with what they seek. They will become ill and scurry out of the room, ne'er to bother thee henceforth.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
All of those traits listed pertain to me but I wouldn't call myself hyper-sensitive, just somewhat anti-social and a deep thinker. But maybe that defines a hyper-sensitive person. Cool thread though!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:03 PM
link   
They will become ill and scurry out of the room, ne'er to bother thee henceforth.

sounds like one of those sonic spider deterrents. lmao.
I need some manic.....

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Hmm, I'll put some aspects of myself, if these count as "HSP" factors...

I'm sensitive to people's "vibes" (whether theyre lying, scared, etc.)

I have above average sensory awareness (keen hearing and "feel", night vision)

I get sick from even smallest quantities of alcohol and highly processed foods (no history of allergies though)

I DO feel like I am human, from Earth

I'm, haha, overly emotionally sensitive and get mood swings depending on peoples "vibes"

Do those constitute for HSP or am I just "like that"? You guys be the judge.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join