It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by justsomeboreddude

Nope....I ticked all the boxes, and I'm intensely happy....just about all the time actually. The rest of the time, I'm trying to organise happiness, and make it look pretty. It seems to work. I'm not joking or oozing sarcasm here...that's actually how I work. I hope it makes sense.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   
i got 25

tbh though i have suffered from anxiety and depression which then led to agoraphobia since i was 18 and some of those questions are very similar to what i used to get asked frequently and i dont really think this persons found a new catogory to stick people under its just a case putting more people into a bigger box, we dont need it theres allready so many tags we can get put into,this is just another one,personally i like the tag ''normal''
were all different in some ways but still normal.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by valiant]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Well glad you can make it work for you. When I was reading the questionaire I kept thinking no I dont experience that and thank God because I would loose my mind. I love putting myself in stressful situations just to see if I can fight my way out. It is kind of an adrenaline rush.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by justsomeboreddude
I scored a 3.. i guess that makes me a USP-under sensitive person. Wow, I feel sorry by people afflicted with this. You must be miserable on a daily basis. Hey did you guys ever think that maybe you are Indigo Children or aliens or something. It seems like some of these questions coincide with things I read on a thread here about some people really being aliens.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by justsomeboreddude]
Never considered myself an Alien, and I believe those who can be deeply miserable, can also experience deep joy. It's a fair enough trade off if you can learn to balance it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I hit a 20. What a surprise.
Hey, anyone extremely sensitive when it comes to violence? I'm not talking about on TV so much, but I mean in real life. Even when people are argueing (sp?), I get freaked out. For some reason, violence, hate and anger shakes me to the core (hate affects me the most), and I could never figure it out. And if 2 people are fighting in front of me, It just - like I said - shakes me to the core.
What's up with that?

Edit to add: I suffer from anxiety, and I have for awhile. I wonder if anxiety disorder and HSP are one in the same. Does anyone else here have anxiety (I mean, an excess of it to where it gets in the way of your life)?

[edit on 6/3/2009 by impaired]

Me. I can watch violent movies all day long (though I'm not a fan of much more than zombie flicks) because I can reason that it's not real, but once the voices in the household start raising, I'm out. I cannot handle it. It's worse if I'm involved, because whomever I'm arguing with accuses me of blowing them off or whatever, but that's not it at all, I simply cannot mentally handle anything more than civil discussion. Seriously, even some of the hostile arguments I see on the internet make me anxious. Even though I can't hear the yelling and the anger in their voices, the emotional aspect still shows through 100% and that, for lack of a better way to say it, simply BUGS me.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

I don't want to hear anything when I'm fixing my hair. It drives my husband crazy. It's hard for me to fix my daughter's hair, and she doesn't like to hold still for long. She's mildly adhd. She's not disruptive, just very energetic. I think she's sensitive too. She's very compassionate with animals.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Heatburger

Think it is the triviality that gets us. I mean, that if someone tried to kill a family member, I would be rightly angered.

But if my housemate literally screams and belittles me for something silly (like the toilet paper is the wrong way) I take that on BIG time. I take on their anger and frustration, and they gleefully walk away knowing that now, it is all on me. I took it in.

Thus, why people like us, are often loners.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dewm0nster

Horoscopes? Ha. It told me it's a good time to travel when I had chicken pox. According to a test that was given to college freshman in a class, I am INFP. That wasn't a vague questionnare either.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Forums are strange don’t you think? They do tend to attract people who prefer to argue and bicker rather than debate a subject to the end of a satisfactory result for all. It seems that many people have missed the point of the original post. Several homing in on various key words or phrases and simply ripping the topic limb from limb. If they were to read and digest the post carefully and follow some of the threads and links to other websites perhaps they might understand that a minority of people have found this post of great value.
Or perhaps not. After all the gist of the post is that not everyone can relate to this idea. If you do not possess this gift or burden of hypersensitivity then it’s highly likely that you would look for flaws in the way the author tried to put the idea across.
Personally I found it helped me a lot to understand parts of my own personality. I was pigeon holed as "shy" and possibly introverted as a child by my piers. The reaction I got whenever I opened my mouth and set the record straight was one of shock and sometimes anger because now I didn’t fit into their simplistic category.
I do find so called extroverts to be a real pain though. Too much talking and not enough listening.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by RRokkyy

Is there a certain number of fillings that would be enought to cause this? This is an interesting theory. I have 5 fillings. I don't know what kind. I had a lot of these sensory related "symptoms" before I had the fillings.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by wclv13

Exactly. If it's serious and "matters" to me, it's still tough but I will make myself deal with it, otherwise the trivial things as you said pretty well just make me shut down. That's when I retreat to silence and let everything blow over.

Question to all, how about thunderstorms? I love them from a distance, I think far-off cloud-to-ground lightening and the low rubmle of thunder that follows is a natural beauty, but if it's severe thunderstorms over my head, I panic. There's nowhere I can go to escape the sound, so I pace from window to window, looking at the skies from all angles around my house. Anyone else have issues with thunderstorms?

A discussion with my psych professor led me to believe that I was conditioned to dislike storms in my younger years by reason of evacuating from many a hurricane in Texas. That makes sense to me, but I figured I'd ask you all if you're the same way about storms.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by Heatburger]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:49 PM
link   
i fit this descripction very much but this is not news to me. this and the starchild/indigo child post the other day go hand in hand. i know quite a good deal about myslef and what my purpose is.

it's also interesting to not that my genetics are like "blue blood" or whatever. a lot of , a hell of a lot royalty in my ancestry. it's amazing. most every famous name you could you name is an ancestor of mine but this should be no surprise as all of these bloodlines interbred with each other.

make no assumptions about me inferring anything either. i'm just stating that there may be a correlation between bloodlines/genetics and this sort of thing. and i believe that i chose my bloodline before birth for this specific purpose.
interesting stuff.

i just wanted to share my input and experience.

i'm editing this to say that i also suffer from severe chronic pain/migraines
and have for some time. so my experience with heightened senses is not limited to empathic / intuitive / extra sensory perception by any means.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by truth smuggler]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Angus123

I've had a few times when I could imagine how you feel. I'm not sure how I was able to change that in the 6th grade. I can only hope it can become a little easier to deal with people around you. I'm sorry I don't sound good like Hallmark.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Thanks very much for this OP (I got 21) I feel like I've learnt more about myself & it helps to know there's quite a few like minded people here.

I don't think I'm special, I don't have any ESP or anything considered as 'psychic heightened abilities' or anything like that... there's nothing mystical about who I am - I'm human & just a bit crotchety & prefer solitude & peace & quiet...

To me the StarChild/Indigo crowd are a bit egotistical & think themselves as evolutionary alien...something...over-sensationalist...I don't know what.

My interpretation of HSP is just what it says, over-sensitive people - nothing x-files about it...

[edit on 3/6/2009 by moobaawoof]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I have always been told I was a highly sensitive person. My hearing is insane and I love to relax in my room alone. I also like to go out to the beach at night to relax. The only thing that didnt fit me was the shy part as a kid. I was not shy and I am still not, I just prefer to be alone many times. Other peoples emotions really affect me so I usually only have a handful of friends and if you are not good for my life I will cut you out. I guess people would call those toxic relationships. I have had people I have done this to call me months or years later wanting to "reconnect" and I just simply apologize and tell thim I didnt think their friendship/relationship was good for me. I usually get called weird for this but it's me and I am fine with it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:58 PM
link   
oh i didn't realize there was a test for this.

seems unnecessary though. when you are, you know. it's part of the whole thing.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Okay how do you find rising and so forth with your sign? I promise I'm not trying to pick anyone up.
I think my element is wood. I am Gemini, but that day is sometimes considered Cancer, but not the year I was born.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Astrithr

hmm sounds like me. i feel a need to escape, i like to just find a quiet place and meditate on a psalm and worship Jesus. my favorite one goes like this:

"Blessed is the man who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked, or stand in the way of sinners, or sit in the seat of mockers, but his delight is in the law of the Lord, and on His law he meditates day and night,"

now here is my favorite visual part of the psalm:

"he is like a tree, planted by streams of water which yields its fruit in season and whose leaf does not wither. whatever he does prospers." psalm 1:1-3

when you said these more sensitive people like being near water i thought of this verse right away
thanks for posting.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13
But if my housemate literally screams and belittles me for something silly (like the toilet paper is the wrong way) I take that on BIG time. I take on their anger and frustration, and they gleefully walk away knowing that now, it is all on me. I took it in.

This will go against the grain, but would you consider shouting back at exactly the same pitch and if your h/m took it further, just go up with them?

I was close to someone who had an absolutely filthy temper - the only way I could cope and not be bullied was to create a filthy temper of my own. Just for that one person.

Just bat it back if you can. You might only need to do it once.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by winotka
reply to post by seagrass

Okay how do you find rising and so forth with your sign? I promise I'm not trying to pick anyone up.
I think my element is wood. I am Gemini, but that day is sometimes considered Cancer, but not the year I was born.
LMAO.. astro.com. you need your birth time exact. birth date and birth place. You enter in the data and it will produce a circle chart and a graph that lists what planets are in what signs including your rising. The time will determine if you are Cancer or Gemini Sun, but if you have a Gemini Sun you are likely to have mercury and/or venus in Cancer as they travel together.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join