It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by guidanceofthe third kind
i must admit i am not sure what that questionnaire proves because most of that has to do with loud noises and city life and most people dont like city life.

I actually don't live in the "city". More like a large town. It only really applies to "city life" if someone lives in the city. As I said before, in my personal view, it isn't meaningful but it is a number, a concrete value which is more easily discussed at times than feelings.

At least in the beginning. It's a good ice-breaker.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

I did too. I have a stellium in Scorpio and Picses rising......only one planet in my chart is in an earth sign.

To the OP: Thank you so much for this thread. I have adjusted over the years but ......well it's diificult.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I hit a 20. What a surprise.
Hey, anyone extremely sensitive when it comes to violence? I'm not talking about on TV so much, but I mean in real life. Even when people are argueing (sp?), I get freaked out. For some reason, violence, hate and anger shakes me to the core (hate affects me the most), and I could never figure it out. And if 2 people are fighting in front of me, It just - like I said - shakes me to the core.
What's up with that?

Edit to add: I suffer from anxiety, and I have for awhile. I wonder if anxiety disorder and HSP are one in the same. Does anyone else here have anxiety (I mean, an excess of it to where it gets in the way of your life)?

[edit on 6/3/2009 by impaired]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by impaired

I'm the same, but not when it comes to fantasy violence, such as movies and television. In that case, I've been quite the opposite. I think likely because I know it isn't real and therefore there is no adrenaline surge.

The surge of adrenaline experienced in confrontations, and as a witness to confrontations, is to me what creates the discomfort on some level. I feel like I've been poisoned. Shaking, nausea, muscle weakness. Which is why I could never really understand "adrenaline junkies".

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

If you are naturally more of a non-aggressive person, then it probably troubles you very much to pick up on the feelings of others who are angry.

If I get a little mad about something I can talk myself out of it very quickly because I hate that feeling. But if I am around people who are not trying to control their anger I pick it up and it is a horrid feeling.

Almost like I am trying fruitlessly to control theiranger, which leaves one very drained.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

I have anxiety issues too. Sometimes debilitating, other times more manageable.

Maybe anxiety is a "symptom" of HSP, but don't think they are one in the same.

To the other poster who mentioned "adrenaline junkies" funny, but I may be considered one. But the adrenaline rush I get from riding motorcycles, rollercoasters, etc is WAY different from the physical symptoms I get when am dealing with hypersensitivity or anxiety.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
These are almost trick questions. Everyone would like to think of themselves as being special or unique in some way.

Especially on this site. Many threads claim to be Indigo, hybrids, Astro projection, in contact with aliens and able to read or move things with there minds. Not to mention the ones who say they are vampires and lycans.

Just do a quick search and you will find countless claims of said type mutant abilities.

So it doesn't surprise me that you get people claiming they have one or more of the abilities you are asking.

I wish the people on this site would be more truthful or less delusional. Im not saying they are out right lying. It just makes me wonder with all these fantastical claims and zero proof other than blind faith in the OP.

I truly believe the OP on this thread that there is a condition labeled to back his claims. The fact is I question some of the replies. Deny ignorance is this sites mantra, right?

How can we prove this? I freely admit that I have no unique abilities. I have never done anything considered metaphysical. So how can we prove or convince others like myself of such said abilities without relying on blind faith?

I don't mean to pick on this tread or the OP. I just have read numerous threads like this that cant be substantiated.

I want to believe.

Help me out.

THNX

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Well I scored an 18 because some of the questions only happen sometimes to me. And I didn't want to check something that doesn't happen all the time. But the cut off was 14 so I guess I'm sensitive, but not as much as everyone else on here.

Great thread! Thanks!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

The problem with trying to offer ideas that satisfy so-called skeptics is that they too often ignore logic, being nothing more than "believers" themselves.

The truth about proof is that it is experiential. It isn't the same as evidence. As an example...

An experiment is conducted and a certain result is published. All the evidence is there in the equipment, the subjects and even the published results. The experiment did exist. But the proof of result is only in the experience.

Which is to say that if you don't conduct the same experiment yourself, you are really only relying on belief and hearsay. You are relying on the interpretations of another human being.

I understand that we accept certain evidence as proof as it is based on hard and fast ideas that do not change. This is valuable to common understanding. But the fact remains, if you really want to prove something to yourself, you need to do it yourself.

Want to believe? Then you'll have to do your own experimentation and discover for yourself. Though in the end, your interpretations will be your own and the only thing we may agree on is that "something" happened.

Because interpretation of experience is an individual phenomenon. And not matter much some would appreciate eradicating the chaos of individuality (if only for the sake of better data) it can't and won't happen.

Just like saying that we are all "individuals" yet, or therefore, not "special" is an issue of semantics. That personal interpretation and experience.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by dizziedame
Well that's me in a nut shell. I scored 27.

Is this an indication of a mental disease? It isn't easy going through life with this type of disorder if that's what it is.

I feel like I've been misunderstood all my life and like I didn't fit anywhere.

How nice to have a name for what I am. I thought I was just totally insane.

I scored a 20 on this test (I knew I'd score fairly high). I too always felt like I didn't really fit in and I too thought it was something wrong with me.

But as I have gotten older, gotten to see more of the world and met a wide variety of people, including people like me, I've come to start thinking that its not me, its everyone else.

I don't mean that in an "I'm better than you" kind of way, but more in the sense that I've started to see the inherent flaws in society as a whole. Its the egotistical, materialistic ideal that is force fed us from when we are very young that has warped people into being untrue to themselves and to nature.

I could go into more detail, but to give you an idea I will quote a book by Carlos Casteneda called 'The Teachings of Don Juan'. If you haven't read it then I highly recommend it. In this book, the Shaman, Don Juan, tells Carlos that every person looks, to him, like a luminous egg. That there is a light in the center of everyone that glows brightly and makes the shape of an egg around everyone. It is never directly stated but I assume he is talking about the soul.

He then describes the entities, or demons, or spirits (I can't remember the exact phrase he uses). These entities are portrayed more as mischievous than evil. But the point is that these entities don't have the light, they just look like regular people.

So, my point is, I do see a lot of eggs and am seeing more everyday. But when I go out, to the bar, to the mall, to work, most of the time all I see are people.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Lots of the traits are close to the Indigo Children characteristics.
I did the test but I already knew I was hypersensitive. nice find SF

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by HooHaa

I can assure you that I have been truthful.

I've participated in this thread with a view to giving people information that they might find helpful.

It's been interesting to me to see how we've all experienced similar things to one degree or another.

No-one here is making fantastical claims - being 'highly sensitive' doesn't make any of us Superman, or Lycans for that matter.

Someone who is doing their own research into this sort of thing might read this thread and find just the sort of information and insight that they need.

I am sure that you are as unique and interesting as every other person on this planet. If sensitivity isn't your thing I'd suggest you have a look inside and find out your own strengths, weaknesses, high or low points - all the fascinating things that make you tick.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

Wow... you're exactly like me. And yes, I'm a little choked up thinking about it, because I know your pain intimately.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by impaired
I hit a 20. What a surprise.
Hey, anyone extremely sensitive when it comes to violence? I'm not talking about on TV so much, but I mean in real life. Even when people are argueing (sp?), I get freaked out. For some reason, violence, hate and anger shakes me to the core (hate affects me the most), and I could never figure it out. And if 2 people are fighting in front of me, It just - like I said - shakes me to the core.
What's up with that?

Edit to add: I suffer from anxiety, and I have for awhile. I wonder if anxiety disorder and HSP are one in the same. Does anyone else here have anxiety (I mean, an excess of it to where it gets in the way of your life)?

[edit on 6/3/2009 by impaired]
I'm on anxiety meds, if that tells you anything. Generalized anxiety.. meaning I didn't get it from an event. It was random and unexplainable. Felt like I was having an asthma attack combined with a heart attack. Also thyroid problems.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
S&F!

Im going to spend the rest of the day reading and taking all this new info in!

I scored a 25... It seems odd that the few I didnt check were sensitive tward pain, and violence.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

"Felt like I was having an asthma attack combined with a heart attack."

You described it so succinctly! I have always just said to people when having a severe panic attack that "all I can handle is just trying to breath, because I feel like I am about to die, leave me alone."

Maybe explaining it your way will help my friends/family understand how debilitating the physical reaction are.

Thanks!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   
I appreciate the openness so many people have expressed here, as I can relate to many things people have/are experiencing, and it's comforting to know I'm not alone. I admire those of you who can see this as a gift, or in a positive way. In this dog eat dog world, I've always felt more like the dog food.

I came across a thread at another forum several months ago that touched the topic of animals in our lives and I followed the suggestion to google the movie Earthlings... talk about a BIG mistake. I couldn't eat ANY food for days, and barely anything for weeks after watching that. (I was stupid enough to watch it all because I felt compelled to know what was really going on out there). What surprised me most was how many people were not the slightest bit phased by it, and even actually made jokes in the thread about what the animals experienced. I just don't have it in me to 'fit in' with that kind of mentality.

The emotions of others can very much effect me and can be exceptionally draining. I absolutely can't stand any living being experiencing any pain or suffering because I know all too well what it's like... a big hug out to those of you dealing with any of it!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13

"Felt like I was having an asthma attack combined with a heart attack."

You described it so succinctly! I have always just said to people when having a severe panic attack that "all I can handle is just trying to breath, because I feel like I am about to die, leave me alone."

Maybe explaining it your way will help my friends/family understand how debilitating the physical reaction are.

Thanks!

I had to pull over in my car if I had one.. and I felt the need to lay down and act as if I was sleeping. But it was always something I couldn't talk myself out of. It was worse if I tried to do that. So it was more like laying down and playing Opossum. I just had to give in to it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Angus123
reply to post by Uniceft17

Wow... you're exactly like me. And yes, I'm a little choked up thinking about it, because I know your pain intimately.
I'm glad you are still here taking it in. I am a little concerned for the 26+ers. I think it's great that you are participating.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 03:44 PM
link   
I scored a 3.. i guess that makes me a USP-under sensitive person. Wow, I feel sorry by people afflicted with this. You must be miserable on a daily basis. Hey did you guys ever think that maybe you are Indigo Children or aliens or something. It seems like some of these questions coincide with things I read on a thread here about some people really being aliens.

[edit on 6/3/2009 by justsomeboreddude]

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join