It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
My chart is mostly an even split between fire and air.

Very little earth or water influence.

On the animal question. Love them to bits and find them a lot easier to get on with than other people.

Having said that, I feel as if I am in good company on this thread

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by berenike
My chart is mostly an even split between fire and air.

Very little earth or water influence.

On the animal question. Love them to bits and find them a lot easier to get on with than other people.

Having said that, I feel as if I am in good company on this thread
Interesting. No water or earth?? So would you describe your self as highly emotional, or rather physically sensitive?

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Yup that sounds like me to a t actually, I find I can just read a person by their image and actions sometimes, and also decipher if they're lying to me or not... lol, im very creative I produce music and do digital art on the side from working lots... i do prefer being alone alot, but my close friends and business partners keep me out there trying my hardest to use all my personality... I was a lonely child and hope that never happens again... good find!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
I got a 26, but didn't need a test to tell me that I am very sensitive. I would say that many people are who are falling into all these new categories like Indigo, Star People, Rainbow and Crystals are all hypersensitive. Who says that it is a bad thing? It is just different, not special but different. I tend to think that increased sensitivity may be a part of the spiritual evolution of the human species.

It also does not surprise me that so many people here fit this. We are an odd bunch of people with very inquisitive minds coming from all over the world. I think we are seekers, all of us in one way or another. Our sensitivity is part of what lets us know that "something just ain't right" in the world.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57
I got a 26, but didn't need a test to tell me that I am very sensitive. I would say that many people are who are falling into all these new categories like Indigo, Star People, Rainbow and Crystals are all hypersensitive. Who says that it is a bad thing? It is just different, not special but different. I tend to think that increased sensitivity may be a part of the spiritual evolution of the human species.

It also does not surprise me that so many people here fit this. We are an odd bunch of people with very inquisitive minds coming from all over the world. I think we are seekers, all of us in one way or another. Our sensitivity is part of what lets us know that "something just ain't right" in the world.
I completely agree. It seems so much more commonplace to meet fellow like minds since finding ATS. But growing up, people werent as open about it. Almost as if they were ashamed.. so it is refreshing to be able to talk about how it affects us and how it has been difficult to bear.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by FadeToBlack

Glad to meet you. I was the same in hanging out with adults. I played with other kids too, but found adults fascinating. I wanted to learn their rituals and social structure.

Originally posted by Karlhungis
Don't you think that they people who would be drawn to take such a test would inherently be more likely to score higher on it?

This is absolutely right on. I didn't need this test to tell me I'm "hyper-sensitive". I took it because having a stick to measure by is nice. As a human-primate, I'm attracted to numbers for their concrete nature.

Now where is that pompous ass test?

Originally posted by redhead57
I would say that many people are who are falling into all these new categories like Indigo, Star People, Rainbow and Crystals are all hypersensitive.

I think this is spot on. I was actually discussing the same with seagrass last night. Whatever else the issue may include, hypersensitivity is almost a certainty. And it's a phenomenon that seems to be growing.

The greatest issue I faced was being told that I didn't have to be so sensitive. I met resistance much here at ATS being told I wasn't "special", even when I insisted I wasn't special at all and didn't think of myself that way. I was and am simply me.

Now, to any who would dispute this idea, I would point them in the direction of the hyper-dull. Sociopaths. Human beings lacking empathy or compassion, completely self-absorbed. Does it make sense that the spectrum wouldn't extend in the opposite direction?

My truth is that I had to be and continue to be who I am. Being "hyper-sensitive" isn't a gift unless it's used and viewed that way. Just as it's only a curse when used or viewed that way. And I don't think any of us really want to be "special".

I think we'd just like to have our place in the human spectrum and be accepted for it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I'm another person that can totally relate to the HSP.

As a child I struggled with shyness and feeling different. Many 'friends' thought/told me that I was a bit weird. People that didn't know me well often accused me of being standoffish or snobby but that's probably the farthest from who I really am. Maybe I just came across that way to disguise my shyness or maybe as a protection mechanism so as not to be hurt.

The worst thing about being hyper sensitive is the feelings of empathy. I empathise with everyone, even my dogs! I cry at TV commercials because I get overwhelmed with joy/happiness or sadness - depending on the commerical. lol.

I don't have many friends. In fact I have a couple of good friends from school that I'm still in touch with but no friends where I live now. I have acquaintences but no friends. I love my own company, reading, research, learning, etc, so it ever bothered me before but the past few weeks I feel very isolated and alone and the feeling isn't pleasant anymore. Mind you, even if someone does offer to meet with me for a coffee I'd probably make an excuse not to go because people make me nervous and I'd wonder why on earth they'd want to spend time with me! Probably comes from years of being told I was 'different' or 'weird'

My sun sign is cancer. No idea about the rest of it.

Another question - how many ppl that consider themselves HSP are also left handed? I am. That also gave me lots of problems as a child as I was told that my writing was terrible because I'm left handed, I was no good at sport because I was left handed. I was made to feel that being left handed meant I was a total freak! lol.

I have hang ups galore and I'm not sure why because I grew up in a loving family. I would describe my mum and maternal grandmother as also being HSP. My nan had a brilliant career (also a left hander) but my mum stayed home with me and my brother and lost touch with herself and her friends. I always promised I wouldn't end up living like her but somehow I have.

Suicide - never really seriously considered it but I have thought about how I'd do it, if I did it. Does that make sense? I couldn't possibly ever do it because how would my parents, husband and kids feel? They'd feel like they let me down and did something wrong and I really couldn't do that to them.

I live my life by the golden rule of "do unto others" and I love learning about lots of spiritual things but don't consider myself religious - spiritual but not religious. I have a degree in interior design but never dared to use it. I love being creative but never think others will like what I paint, draw or right.

Even as I write this, I worry that I've given too much info or just sound like a nutter!

HSP hasn't been a gift for me but I had anti-depressents (Seroxat) several years ago after my baby almost died. That was worse than the HSP because I didn't feel anything. I was just going through the motions and knew how I should react/feel.

I'm 40 this year and really hoping to get some kind of understanding about myself so finding this thread and following the links is a great place to start - thank you.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:35 AM
link   
OP

Thank you sooo much for bringing this to my attention. I have learned so much about myself from this site.

S and F!!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
Scored a 24. Oddly enough I have always known that I am a sensitive, at least as far back as I can remember. I'm not sure if there are any other studies involving those that are able to detect changes in a persons energy, (ie: lies, sadness, wandering thoughts, etc.). If anyone knows of any please send it my way.

Maya00a, you pretty much summed it up for me...except for being left handed.

[edit on 3-6-2009 by BigCat]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I don't think you are a nutter.
I relate to everything you said, including the anti depressant "I should feel". We are what we are.. The first step is accepting it in pride and using it for whatever we think might be valuable to us and others. I know I have helped people with my empathetic abilities. I just wish I could help myself more.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spock Shock
Yup that sounds like me to a t actually, I find I can just read a person by their image and actions sometimes, and also decipher if they're lying to me or not... lol, im very creative I produce music and do digital art on the side from working lots... i do prefer being alone alot, but my close friends and business partners keep me out there trying my hardest to use all my personality... I was a lonely child and hope that never happens again... good find!
I can read people, I can sense deception, I am creative, love music, I prefer being alone, but having a close companion who gets me, I used to be more outgoing, I was a lonely child, spent a lot of time in my room.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maya00a
I cry at TV commercials because I get overwhelmed with joy/happiness or sadness - depending on the commerical. lol.

One of my earlier and stronger memories is crying while watching an episode of "All in the Family". (For the curious, it was the one where Gloria left home.) The uproar it caused was traumatizing. "Why are you crying? What's wrong with you?" My only answer was that I was sad, but that wasn't good enough and it made me feel that expressing emotion wasn't right, even if it felt right and natural.

Mind you, even if someone does offer to meet with me for a coffee I'd probably make an excuse not to go because people make me nervous and I'd wonder why on earth they'd want to spend time with me! Probably comes from years of being told I was 'different' or 'weird'

For me, and I believe others, I've found that judgments from those around us is overwhelming. For me not only because I hear their words, but I feel them too. I also find that being me has involved taking heavy cues from people in my life about who I am. Wanting to please.

After a while, being told I wasn't good enough was easy to believe. I began to fear being judged by everyone. That everyone was looking at me and assessing me. It became a survival instinct and the level of discomfort it caused made me want to avoid it.

But I'd like to tell you something, there really is nothing wrong with being "different" or "weird"

No, we may not fit in the compartments society has constructed. But what that means is that it is time for some new compartments to be made. We deserve to have a place just as anyone else.

Social-outcasting is outrageously primitive to me. Yet we still practice it actively. Ostracize those that don't fit as they might spoil the rest of the "herd". Sorry, but that's a slaver mentality. Cruel and inhumane.

Another question - how many ppl that consider themselves HSP are also left handed?

Righty here

Even as I write this, I worry that I've given too much info or just sound like a nutter!

HSP hasn't been a gift for me but I had anti-depressents (Seroxat) several years ago after my baby almost died.

Maybe we're all "crazy". But then in a room full of crazies, what does that make the "sane" guy in the corner? Mental illness is an altered reality. We see, perceive, experience the world differently. It's easy to categorize us as "insane", but not very accurate.

I tend to believe it's time for the world to make more room for everyone. To accept and protect what is different rather than shun it. To break out of the "herd" mentality.

Picasso was different.
DaVinci was different.
Tesla was different.
Van Gogh was different.
And the list goes on...

Do any of us fit in with those geniuses? Hard to tell if we aren't allowed to be ourselves.

I was on anti-depressant as well as other psych meds. They helped for a time, but I left them behind when they didn't serve me anymore. These days I practice meditation as a means of focusing my energy. I do think it's something anyone can and should try, leaving out any belief systems that conflicts spiritually.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I've got 18, but then I've got fibro.
I wasn't always so sensitive, now I am told I am 'exquisitely sensitve' ...according to my neurologist. .. I think he was trying to make me feel better. lol Didn't work.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Great thread. I'm glad to know there is a pyschological/biological explanation for my behavior. Kinda makes me feel better. I scored a 25. Wish I could be less sensitive. People really do drain me.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Interesting. No water or earth?? So would you describe your self as highly emotional, or rather physically sensitive?

Very little water or earth. One planet in an earth sign and, if I remember, watery mid-heaven.

All the rest of the planets, the rising sign, moon and sun are in fire and air signs.

I used to have raging battles between my heart and my head, always trying to allow my head to win.

It's hard to remember all this now. Anyway, after a particularly hard relationship breakup I died emotionally. I'm much better for it - very happily living exclusively in my head.

Strange you should mention physically sensitive - I've had very sensitive skin since I was born. I seem to have a strong constitution though - I don't know if that's quite what you meant.

I've got a strong practical streak that has got stronger as I've got older - there was a surprise

Moving on: Left handed - I'm not sure, I do a lot of things naturally with my left-hand but my right hand is dominant for using a knife or pen or doing things that need precision. I have noticed that my left hand will do right handed jobs far more easily than my right hand will do left handed jobs. There's a real resistance from my right hand.

I don't know if that comes from being taught to write with my right hand. Pre-school age I always tried to use my knife and fork left handed. My mother always used to call me cack-handed. Yep, she was always there with an encouraging word - not

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   
I scored a 26 out of 27.

I'm an introvert and extremely sensitive. I do have to say that these traits have become more obvious over the past few years, especially empathy, I can feel everyones moods and it's so draining. I often avoid social situations all together and make up excuses to keep from having to go out with anyone, I'd rather sit here and analyze my thoughts and think about anything.

I avoid emotionally tense situations, not violence, but drama, and confrontation, it makes me EXTREMELY uncomfortable and I don't really like that.

I can't stand it when someone stares/watches me do something, I know when someone is watching me even if I don't see them. The other day I was cooking supper and I knew my dad was watching me cook it, so without turning around to see I just told him to go the hell away, he was making me so nervous that I was shaking so bad that I couldn't even hold the spatula that I was using to grind the hamburger meat.

Music can make or break my day in an instant, which is why I don't listen to the radio at all. If I want to listen to something it's on a CD.

And sometimes I'll find myself crying in extreme happiness or sadness over commericials, movies, tv shows, and even youtube videos, and it's not just a few tears shed it's like what i'm watching i'm personally experiencing in my own life.

I'm very orderly, everything has to be stacked neatly and organized in it's own special place. I don't like things laying in the floor it really stresses me to no end, but it used to be worst. When I was a kid if I seen something laying in the floor I would put it away where it was supposed to go because I was so worried that someone would trip and get hurt.

Sounds affect me to in a weird way, if it's loud then I feel electrical tingles through my torso, I actually bought ear plugs for this.

The worst part is that I work at McDonalds, Probably the WORST place to work for someone with this type of personality trait, and i'm thinking about quitting just because all of the emotions I feel at that place, everyday is a nightmare their, and the employees are just so rude and critical that sometimes I just have to take a step back and try to contain myself. I've been their for 3 months and I still get the question "Why are you so shy?" "Why are you so nervous" My excuse is that I have nerve problems, because I shake all the time at that place, i'm just so on edge their.

For example, today one of my friends and a co-worker got into it hardcore, yelling cussing screaming, you name it they were yelling it, and I was on line(Line is where you put the sandwhiches and stuff together) the whole time they were doing that I got so nervous and stressed that I just had to walk out, I felt physically sick, my friend ended up going to the break room in tears after her argument and got mad at me cause I didn't try to comfort her afterwards, I wasn't going anywhere near that break room, I myself was about to have an extreme emotional break down, and now my day is ruined. I feel exhausted and fatigued and slightly depressed.

I'm just the type of person who has always wanted his alone time more that the average person, I love being alone, being creative with my thoughts and ideas, writing my novel, reading, and researching, etc.

So yeah theres a little about me.

My dad also has this trait, so I will be showing it to him. S&F!

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Uniceft17]

[edit on 6/3/2009 by Uniceft17]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Uniceft17

I just wanna give you the biggest cuddle after reading that. Especially the bit about McDonalds. You need to be a librarian or archivist or curator somewhere...I would love that! Never told anyone this in public before, but when I worked in a supermarket meat department a while back, as a temporary fill in kind of job....really there was nothing else...I swear that sometimes I could hear the animals screams as they were slaughtered. (I'm vegetarian) It was a nightmare.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   
i must admit i am not sure what that questionnaire proves because most of that has to do with loud noises and city life and most people dont like city life.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

I am also Cancer and am like you almost to a T. I was left-handed early in life but was "corrected" to be right-handed.

After reading " Look Me In The Eye" I can identify with many symptoms of Aspergers and ADHD.

As an aside. I was born with 6 toes on each foot with partial webbing. Was told it would help me swim better.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I scored a 24. Throughout my working career, people would figure out that I would jump out of my skin if they popped their head into my cubicle and said something loud. They got a kick out of it. I HATED it! It happened just about everywhere I worked. I was a computer systems analyst, and focused intensely on my work. I could tune out everyone around me, until they deliberately made me jump. Now I live a quiet life by the ocean, and love it.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join