It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are you a highly sensitive person (HSP)?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:39 AM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Seagrass...was it you who asked about astrological placements? I have Cancer rising, Taurus Moon, Aquarius Sun, if that helps. I'm curious as to whether there is a pattern, or even how many people here know what their moon and ascendents are.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:41 AM
link   

You mentioned something earlier about Water signs and notice that your Avatar is water based. I have seen, from tons of personal experience, that water signs are indeed hyper sensitive. But not sure if the chicken or egg comes first?

In other words, are water based signs the cause of hypersensitivy, or does it just excasberate (sp?) a mental condition or even a genetic one?

Would be interesting to know. For the record, I am a Fire sign Sun, but both moon and rising is water. My mind is busy fighting the angel/devil on the shoulder scenario constantly. Tis tiring.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I fit about half of the criteria listed by the OP.

In regards to auditory stimuli, I am very sensitive. I can listen to a car and the majority of the time diagnose a problem, same goes for paintball guns. When there is a problem I can listen to a particular sound and envision the cause for it. I am highly sensitive to other people's feelings and can often gauge their attitude or perception of a situation by facial expression or tone of voice.

I crave silence, solitude, being alone. I have always needed time to myself to reflect and think, for as long as I can remember. Nature puts me at ease, and wide open spaces leave me awestruck in their beauty and simplicity.

On the emotional end, I am remarkably insensitive. Emotions might as well be nonexistent. Aside from a handful of situations in my life that I have become angered enough to be in that highly adrenal near blackout response my emotional connection to wordly events is non-existent. I can see things and know how I should feel in response to them, but the feelings just aren't there.

A few of the descriptions resonate strongly, but there are times that I feel on the verge of inhuman when I think of how a normal person would react to a given emotionally charged situation.

I would consider myself hypersensitive in a logical sense, but not emotionally in the least.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by caitlinfae

Interesting, I have a Cancer rising too. My older sister is a Cancer Sun. We couldn't be more different (I think it is my Aries Sun doesn't mesh with her Cancer Sun) but we both have the exact same emotional issues. We just deal with them differently.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae

Seagrass...was it you who asked about astrological placements? I have Cancer rising, Taurus Moon, Aquarius Sun, if that helps. I'm curious as to whether there is a pattern, or even how many people here know what their moon and ascendents are.
Well I am a Cancer, Pisces Rising. Not many will, but I know TravelerintheDark is a Cancer, Scorpio Rising. I would guess there is water in the trinity in each and every one.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Chilkoot

I think maybe that is when we may overload and simply turn off. In person, I have what everyone calls poker face. But inside it is much different.

Yet, when a truly tragic thing happens, like my brother's death, I turned off even on the inside. Didn't cry, didn't feel, nothingness. I briefly felt bad for my reaction as I did love him dearly. Yet I was just void of emotion.

Still think of him every day though, since his passing 12 years ago. I think my body and mind made itself numb for self preservation.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by wclv13

You mentioned something earlier about Water signs and notice that your Avatar is water based. I have seen, from tons of personal experience, that water signs are indeed hyper sensitive. But not sure if the chicken or egg comes first?

In other words, are water based signs the cause of hypersensitivy, or does it just excasberate (sp?) a mental condition or even a genetic one?

Would be interesting to know. For the record, I am a Fire sign Sun, but both moon and rising is water. My mind is busy fighting the angel/devil on the shoulder scenario constantly. Tis tiring.
The Rising sign is more determinate of an overall personality. Water Risings are probably important in the mix of hypersensitivity. Philosophically speaking, to choose to be born under them is a choice of experience and expression. To pick a water rising would be natural to a soul who is interested in the emotional/empathetic/relating perspective as opposed to the independent and thought based perspectives of fire and air.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
i remember someone called me "hypersensitive" once and i kinda got mad at them, guess that's part of being hypersensitive. everything in the OP is me except loud noises (i am the vocals/guitar in a band and was almost born in a shop, but i do enjoy my quiet time alone on the beach), i didn't bother taking the test because i already knew. as far as suicide goes, i have contemplated it ONLY because i consider every possible option and that one is the first to go everytime. is being hypersensitive linked to psychic abilities? it would seem the two would go hand-in-hand. what about being connected to animals? anyone else here psychic, have a strong connection to the animal kingdom AND are hypersensitive? that's me...

edit: for the record i am a taurus, my momz is a libra and dad was a sagittarius and they are old school-hippie bikers, so my family knew and accepted me as "normal"...

[edit on 3-6-2009 by k4rma]

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
There are a lot of differing psychological and neurological schools of thought regarding extremely sensitive individuals. For example, while this fits me to a T, in Jungian psychology the INFJ personality type also fits me to a T. They're just different ways of describing the same sorts of psychological traits, but they define and explain them differently.

This is the first time I've heard of someone attributing it to neurology or genetics, which would make a lot of sense. There is just as strong evidence to suggest it's based more on life experience and development though, too. My personal suspicion is that both play a huge role.

Here's a Jungian personality type test. If you think you're someone who fits this thread's article to a T, try it and see if you end up as an INFJ or something else with strong intuitive and feeling scores.

www.humanmetrics.com...

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   

reply to post by Chilkoot

I think maybe that is when we may overload and simply turn off. In person, I have what everyone calls poker face. But inside it is much different.

Yet, when a truly tragic thing happens, like my brother's death, I turned off even on the inside. Didn't cry, didn't feel, nothingness. I briefly felt bad for my reaction as I did love him dearly. Yet I was just void of emotion.

Still think of him every day though, since his passing 12 years ago. I think my body and mind made itself numb for self preservation.
I envy your Taurus moon. It is probably what helped you deal with his death. It is exalted in Taurus. The best placement for the moon. It helps the Cancer Rising stay grounded. The Cancer poker face is an outward shell of protection and together with your moon which balances you are probably great in a crisis while still maintaining your empathy and concern for others as well as nature and animals. Being able to control the inner emotions in the outer world is a skill. While still being able to feel, you can control it in order to get on with life. You would probably be a big puddle of goo without that moon.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceWombat04
There are a lot of differing psychological and neurological schools of thought regarding extremely sensitive individuals. For example, while this fits me to a T, in Jungian psychology the INFJ personality type also fits me to a T. They're just different ways of describing the same sorts of psychological traits, but they define and explain them differently.

This is the first time I've heard of someone attributing it to neurology or genetics, which would make a lot of sense. There is just as strong evidence to suggest it's based more on life experience and development though, too. My personal suspicion is that both play a huge role.

Here's a Jungian personality type test. If you think you're someone who fits this thread's article to a T, try it and see if you end up as an INFJ or something else with strong intuitive and feeling scores.

www.humanmetrics.com...
Yes, I took that test, and I either come out a ENFP or INFP

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by k4rma

Dang, wish I had your parents! Mine were the opposite of old school hippie biker. Yet I am one.

They support me now, but was a battle for sure growing up.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hi Astrithr, I sure that I might be highly sensitive. I do know that when I was a child, I have ADHD, but now it's just the Hypertension part that still remains with me. What I might consider me of being highly sensitive is when , people may look at me without me knowing it and my face tickles. It happens all the time, there's no wind blowing, my hair isn't touching my face, there isn't any factor that could cause the result of my face being tickled. I believe that I might be sensitive enough to pick up some kinda sensation that's not there to the naked eye. I'm at the age of 21 and I'm still EXTREMELY ticklish also. When your being tickled, your getting a massive wave of ticklish sensation, that is the input. Vice versa, people that aren't that ticklish, they get a slow or little input of that sensation, does that make sense? Most child when they are young, they are usually ticklish as hell.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

Any insight as to why I would pick the Cancer Rising to fight with the Aries Sun? Believe me, it is a constant battle on my emotions, conscience, and even day to day activities.

I am serious here. Your last post was very thought provoking, thank you.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Seagrass...does Chilkoot have Taurus Moon and Cancer Rising too? I can't find the bit that says that...sorry. That would be just too weird that we have the same. The water sign link seems quite strong, especially Cancer.

Your comment about fire and air signs got me thinking....maybe it's about what we lack as much as what we have in our charts that can make a difference. I have no fire at all in my chart, which confuses people sometimes, as I can have quite a fiery personality if I'm stirred up!

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Any insight as to why I would pick the Cancer Rising to fight with the Aries Sun? Believe me, it is a constant battle on my emotions, conscience, and even day to day activities.

I am serious here. Your last post was very thought provoking, thank you.
The Cancer Rising is like a lens to look through at almost everything in life. Where certain focuses are are other planetary placements. But they are all looked through the Rising. The Sun is ego expression. Certain creative expressions fall under the energy of the Sun. An Aries Sun is creative, childlike enthusiasm, and physicality. They are also self concerned and independent. Your Cancer disposition is like a mother to your creative expressions. Like a mother to a child. Let the child explore with out guilt. But protect it when needed.. and nurture it.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Seagrass...does Chilkoot have Taurus Moon and Cancer Rising too? I can't find the bit that says that...sorry. That would be just too weird that we have the same. The water sign link seems quite strong, especially Cancer.

Your comment about fire and air signs got me thinking....maybe it's about what we lack as much as what we have in our charts that can make a difference. I have no fire at all in my chart, which confuses people sometimes, as I can have quite a fiery personality if I'm stirred up!
I don't see it. I made a mistake on the Taurus moon for one poster so I am confusing the Cancer Risings already.. Like I told her in u2u I am on my first cup of java..

It is certainly about what we lack in our charts and the unique combinations that we have that make the expressions different for each of us. But the Water Rising perspectives are all about the inner world. Firey can also be attributed to fixed signs. Taurus, Scorpio, Saggittarius, Aquarius. One for each element.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   

So my description of Cancer Rising Taurus moon should fit you instead.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Taurus moons are like cows in a field. Calm and serene and actually quite beautiful and natural... but you mess with their herd or their babies.... ummm. look out.

posted on Jun, 3 2009 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I don't want to derail this thread with controversial astrological lessons... If you guys don't mind, I would prefer the actual questions in u2u, but if you would like to share your water signs for statistical reasons that would be cool. I really do think it is an important thread for those of us who can relate.

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join