It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supervisor Asks Woman To Take Down American Flag

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
Just to prove a point.

I won't answer it, but if I saw a Mexican Flag, (as in Texas there more common then American flags Believe it or not) and I demanded it be taken down as it was offensive to me.

Well you'd instantaneously see me on the View the next day, discuss how much of a racist bigot I was.

Something similar happened here a couple of years ago concerning the Mexican flag being flown at the UNM Campus. The guy didn't end up on the View, but the attacks against him were just as bad. Although it isn't mentioned in the blog, he said that he was later beaten by a gang over it. I tried getting the actual article from the city's paper, but the archives are for-pay only. Still it's crazy.

Link to story

[edit on 5/28/2009 by Dragonlance]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Thanks for finding this. All I have to say is USA love it or leave it.

Waaa waaa this is offensive waaa

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I'm going to speculate and say that this has more to do with one supervisor disliking another supervisor and less to do with being offended. This is how office BS works. I'm not saying that Debbie McLucas is wrong for wanting to display her flag and there is really nothing wrong with it but it could be(and again i'm just speculating based on what i have seen in office environments) that Debbie McLucas is a total B and the co-worker said that he/she was offended just to be a B back to Debbie McLucas.

This would be very typical office behavior. I had a co-worker complain about the dress code of some other employees. Mgt changed the dress code for an unrelated reason but made it more strict. Then the complaining employee was complaining that she had to abide by this new more strict dress code.

I'm not saying its right what the hospital did or what the squeaky wheel said but I would say it was more to do with inter-office BS than someone actually being offended. But its a really poor battle to fight on the part of the "offended" employee. You are not going to look good B-ing about an American flag.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 04:17 AM
link   
People have taken rights so out of context..

Someone mentioned it being a private company.. they can do what they want. WRONG.

The Bill of Rights cannot be taken from us.

No one in the office had a right infringed upon by this woman hanging a flag in there. I would fight this hard.

[edit on 5/28/2009 by blind.face]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Well there are two flags -- the civil flag we don't use and the Military flag we all know about. Too bad we don't know the details on why the use of the military flag (most likely) was viewed as offensive. It certainly is offensive to have perpetrated militarism on the living humans of the States United.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:02 AM
link   

Speechless...

Two lines.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   

What's next? Is speaking english going to offend someone because it represents "white-euro-militaristic-chauvanistic-xenophobic" behaviour?
Where was the ACLU -snort- in all of this?

Big Brother is here. And he's looking right at you. . .

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
It's simple in my opinion... if the employer said take it down, she should take it down. If you don't like it, get a new effing job... that's the beauty of America; while the boss could not prosecute her for having the flag, he was her assigned superior so he most certainly COULD tell her "this is a no flag work-zone".

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
We are forgetiing ONE thing, a lot of good people died for the freedom that one uses when hanging the flag or displaying their beliefs.

Let us also not forget a lot of good people died for this same jerk who found it offensive, so they may voice THEIR opinion as well.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I have to say that i have always been very patriotic and i would never find the good old American flag offensive.

That said, it could be that with the uproar we have suffered in this country since Jr., and now Obama, it ticks some people off the way things are shaping out and therefore, some would rather not look at it,...for the time being.

I, myself, have felt a knot in my stomach when i have seen our dear old flag flying while Bush & Cheney were feeding us lies, and killing so many of our young men and women. And it continues. With Obama. The double speak, and lies, and that agenda , that trip down the rabbit hole...

I could be wrong. I can only say that some times when i see the flag, i get sick to my stomach for the reasons i stated above.

On the other hand, one should be able to fly our flag if we want to without interference.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:29 AM
link   
What kind of losers want to fly the flag of their own country, in their own country, in their own office, all day, every day?

Seriously, that's just...weird. Yeah, it's your country, you live there, of course you're going to think it's good.

Its like standing in the middle of Coca-Cola head offices and screaming how much better Coca-Cola is than Pepsi. Er, duh? What else were you going to say?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Ok, OK, without trying to become the most hated person on this site. I think all your American patriotism is great, I dindt' know you were ACTUALLY like that, I thought it was just a TV thing. But, your all missing the point that they said it was becasue of the size of the flag, not the flag itself.

Everyone is loosing their minds over the wrong reasons, really tho! I agree with you all IF and only IF the flag was asked to be taken down because it was offensive. I have a Republic of Newfoundland flag in my cubicle and no one loves the green, white and pink(yes pink) like I do.

But, I read one person saying they were screaming at their radio and people foaming at the mouths, really , with all thats going on in your country, THIS is what outrages you to the point of a foaming mouth??

Again, I love the patriotism, I am a proud Canadian and a prouder Newfoundlander, but it was over the size of the flag people, a 3X5 flag wouldnt go over well in my cubicle either, perhaps it was in someones way, cooler heads people, COOLER HEADS

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   
This is just another example where American's simple civil rights are being infringed. I could understand if they had a different country's flag up, that could be offensive to someone... But she didn't. She was trying to observe Memorial Day in the proper manner.

Now, as for the size, I would say, the bigger the better(kidding)! If it's getting in the way of the work area, I could see that being an issue.

But when have you ever heard the SIZE of a flag offending someone?
I think they know they made a no-no now, and they're just trying to cover it up...

UNLESS...

You actually look at what the American Flag represents this day...

Now THAT is offensive.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by undefy.gravity]

[edit on 28-5-2009 by undefy.gravity]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 08:50 AM
link   
reply to post by undefy.gravity

So if I started working in the states and someone was offended if I put up a Canadian flag, that would be ok??? Freedom you say? the land of it you say???

Wouldn't that be going against your First Amendment??

[edit on 28-5-2009 by stereovoyaged]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by stereovoyaged
reply to post by undefy.gravity

So if I started working in the states and someone was offended if I put up a Canadian flag, that would be ok??? Freedom you say? the land of it you say???

Wouldn't that be going against your First Amendment??

[edit on 28-5-2009 by stereovoyaged]

It depends on just how much it upsets other people, and how diplomatic you are about the flag.

This isn't a black-and-white case... this lady flew an obnoxiously large flag in a SHARED (this is the keyword, it was not a cubicle, but a SHARED) office and forced everyone else to see it out of the corner's of their eyes all day every day.

I'm an American and have no problem with not only my flag but anyone else's, but I probably still would have complained simply out of spite for the nerve of that lady. Whereas, I would totally NOT complain if she stuck a small flag in her pen holder- which she probably could have.

It's all about respect... show some, and you'll be shown some in return.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Star for you!! I could not agree more, you can discretly be patriotic. To be honest most of the responses in this thread are the kind of attitude that makes America bad in the eyes of the world, the "Yee Haww, America, Love it or Leave it" attitude. Love you country man! Like we all do. But don't be so blinded by rage and anger of something "anti-patriotic" that you cannot see logic

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarrsAttax
reply to post by The Great Day

I agree. There are some scary posts in this thread. The prevailing viewpoint seems to be unless you agree with the majority view you don't deserve to live in the country. Is America 'The Land of the Free' or 'The Land where you're free to think like everyone else'?

Wrong. The prevailing viewpoint IS this: you live in this country, you will respect the flag because it represents the Constitution and all our founding fathers believed in. If you don't, then the view is perhaps this isn't the right country for you to live in.

Thankfully, the MAJORITY happen to respect the flag for those very reasons.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

But, your all missing the point that they said it was because of the size of the flag, not the flag itself.

Someone found the size of the flag offensive? Uh-huh...sorry if I don't quite buy into that excuse, sounds like butt covering to me.

However, when one is sharing office space a bit of discretion is called for, on both sides. Smaller doesn't mean it holds any less significance. A thicker skin might help the complainer go a bit further in this world. Is this person going to complain about Christmas/Hanukkah decorations come the Holiday season?

Mountain out of molehill...

[edit on 5/28/2009 by seagull]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by sos37

Originally posted by MarrsAttax
reply to post by The Great Day

I agree. There are some scary posts in this thread. The prevailing viewpoint seems to be unless you agree with the majority view you don't deserve to live in the country. Is America 'The Land of the Free' or 'The Land where you're free to think like everyone else'?

Wrong. The prevailing viewpoint IS this: you live in this country, you will respect the flag because it represents the Constitution and all our founding fathers believed in. If you don't, then the view is perhaps this isn't the right country for you to live in.

Thankfully, the MAJORITY happen to respect the flag for those very reasons.

The point that you are failing to address is that this lady flew a 3FOOT x 5FOOT flag in a SHARED OFFICE. This is not a cubicle, it is an office that other people have to share with her, and she chose to fly the biggest flag she could fit in the room, in directly line-of-sight of several other people.

It's not the flag that is being disrespected, it is the people she FORCED her "patriotism" (patriotism is an OPINION of your country, so in essense she FORCED her OPINION onto the people around her) unto.

Wake up people- she wasn't flying a small flag, it was gigantic. It wasn't patriotic, it was disrespectful to those around her.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join