It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Supervisor Asks Woman To Take Down American Flag

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

I agree with you all IF and only IF the flag was asked to be taken down because it was offensive.

Here ya go....

When McLucas came to work Friday, her boss told her another supervisor had found her flag offensive. "I was just totally speechless. I was like, 'You're kidding me,'" McLucas said.

McLucas said the supervisor who complained has been in the United States for 14 years and is formerly from Africa. McLucas said that supervisor took down the flag herself.

You don't move to another country in search of a better life and then expect a citizen of that country to take down their national flag because it "offends" you.

Then, late Wednesday morning, Kindred posted on its website a statement about the incident. It reads, in part: "The disagreement was over the size of the flag and not what it symbolized. We have invited the employee to put the flag back up."

They had no answers for the press on Tuesday when first asked about it, it wasn't until it received national attention on Wednesday ( a full five days after McLucas found her flag on the floor) that they came up with the cover story about the flag's size. And if it had in fact had anything at all to do with the size, they would not have invited her to put the flag back up, they would have invited her to put a smaller flag up in it's place.

"The flag and the pole had been placed on the floor,"

cbs11tv.com...

b.The flag should never touch anything beneath it, such as the ground, the floor, water, or merchandise.

The flag represents a living country and is itself considered a living thing.

www.ushistory.org...

[edit on 5/28/2009 by chise61]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
No it should make immigrants very respectful of the USA for being given the chance to make such an accomplishment possible, they were givin oppurtunities majority didn't for their location of which they came to.

He wasn't given anything, he seized the day. Americans are given the opportunity and most do absolutely nothing about it, mainly due to laziness. Don't confuse yourself.

In fact throught eh taxes he pays, he is allowing Americns to keep giving Americans a chance.

[edit on 28-5-2009 by rogue1]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
So none of you people who think this is an outrage can agree that a 5X3 flag is a bit much for an office space??? Really?? Your patriotic, I get it! But that it huge, I'm guess the flag I have is 2X1.5 and it is plenty big, putting a flag up is making a point, no need to celebrate.

I think for rememberance day I will go around with a poppy the size of a dinner plate.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Also think of how fast this broad ran to the press (how the hell did this wind up in the newz) and how quick she was to point out that the person complained was an african immigrant who's been here for fourteen years. There's more to this story aside from "FLAG HATERZZZ!!11!" and Oh my god jesus and terrorism, they're coming to get us... or whatever is making you people not think this through.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Although i agree she should be able to display her flag,if its a rational size...but i've never quite understood Americans fascination with flags...maybe because you are a young country.At the end of the day its piece of fabric with colours on it,not something to be proud of and get your knickers in a twist about...I could care less if someone burned the British flag in my face in spite...because its just not important in the slightest.Too much nationalism is not healthy imo

[edit on 28-5-2009 by Solomons]

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by yeahright

Or maybe some people believe that while financial swindles have been a part of our history since time began, the encroachment on our personal liberties occupy at least the same level of importance.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaraThustra
reply to post by New Lanark Boy

You can't think of another country, because there isn't another country. Your ability to write your post exists as a result of the blood spilled by AMERICANS!

I can attribute many things for the freedom of speech I enjoy, American military deaths included. But it doesn't mean I need it shoved down my throat every time I open my mouth.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by stereovoyaged

Yes i certainly can agree that the flag she chose to hang was too big for an office. However that is not the reason that it was originally taken down.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by New Lanark Boy

Originally posted by SaraThustra
reply to post by New Lanark Boy

You can't think of another country, because there isn't another country. Your ability to write your post exists as a result of the blood spilled by AMERICANS!

I can attribute many things for the freedom of speech I enjoy, American military deaths included. But it doesn't mean I need it shoved down my throat every time I open my mouth.

Oh yes it does, because it's the only way to perpetuate a military state.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by chise61

It was 3 inches by 5 inches. It could easily fit on a desk? Do you not read the links or something?

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:07 PM
link   
For whatever it is worth, here is the news release from the hospital:

www.kindredhealthcare.com...

HEALTHCARE SUPPORTS THE FLAG AND THE SACRIFICES IT REPRESENTS
LOUISVILLE, Ky. (May 27, 2009) -- Kindred Healthcare (NYSE: KND) is proud of its history of supporting our employees and their families who have served our country through military service. We are sincerely sorry that one incident between two employees gave the perception that we do not respect the flag or the sacrifice it represents.

It is neither the policy of Kindred Healthcare nor Kindred Hospital Mansfield to restrict the rights of our employees and their expressions of patriotism. This is not in keeping with the spirit and culture of Kindred Healthcare. We routinely celebrate the blessings bestowed upon us by honoring our veterans and active military through a variety of benefits and service programs. The truth is the Mansfield hospital situation has not been described accurately or in its entirety. In fact, both employees involved in the situation have family members who have served in the military.

This issue was simply a dispute between two employees who shared a small workspace, one of whom removed the flag because of its size. It’s important to note that hospital management was not involved in the decision to remove the flag and has since worked with both employees to resolve the situation. We support our employees’ first amendment rights and have invited the employee to rehang her flag.

“We are sorry that this incident occurred,” said Benjamin A. Breier, President of Kindred’s Hospital Division. “We organize many activities and programs throughout the year to honor our veterans. This year, in addition to our annual Independence Day celebrations, we will proudly distribute American flags that our employees can display in their workspaces. Our 55,000 hard-working employees serve our patients and residents daily with innumerable acts of kindness and compassion. We value and respect each of our employees and their commitment to high quality care. We look forward to continuing to serve our communities and our country.”

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by USamf

I'm pretty sure they meant it was 3'X5' and not inches

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by sos37
[
Wrong. The prevailing viewpoint IS this: you live in this country, you will respect the flag because it represents the Constitution and all our founding fathers believed in. If you don't, then the view is perhaps this isn't the right country for you to live in.

Thankfully, the MAJORITY happen to respect the flag for those very reasons.

Well the distinction is a subtle one. I'd argue that it's possible to respect the constitution and your founding fathers vision without necessarily believing you have to show respect to a piece of cloth.

Likewise, it's also possible to openly show respect for the flag while simultaneously dumping on the constitution. Speaking with an outsiders perspective it appears to me that it is precisely those people who were flag waving and tub thumping after 911 that have done most to shred the constitution.

By all means support people's right to display a flag, just recognise that it doesn't actually represent what you think it does anymore.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I find every flag offensive. If there is going to be any flag at all it should be an Earth/Humanity flag. We are all in this together. It's people that clutch their flags that are part of the problems of this world, them and religious loons.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Retseh
reply to post by yeahright

Or maybe some people believe that while financial swindles have been a part of our history since time began, the encroachment on our personal liberties occupy at least the same level of importance.

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Workplaces have always had the right to mandate rules in the workplace which will encroach upon "personal liberties". This wasn't a government violating anyone's liberty. It wasn't even a corporate policy causing the issue. It was a dispute between two employees where the original ruling created some negative publicity. I can sure picture a supervisor wanting to squelch a problem by saying, "Just take the flag down, would ya?" not anticipating the resultant hoohah.

This is much ado about nothing. The dust this kicked up in proportion to the issue vs the relative lack of attention given to some very serious situations should, if nothing else, cause us to step back and consider some priorities. I would hope. Waving our flags as we march into the abyss doesn't exactly fill me with any comfort.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
Whatever supervisor was offended by the flag, should leave the US if they're offended so much. Don't offend more people by acting like a total idiot.

I'm in the UK, and I'm sick of people saying we can't hang English flags out on st George's Day, in case they cause offence. STFU! I'll hang what I want when I want, and luckily most people agree, as more and more flags appear each year.

If you're in your own country and are offended by the flag, then keep quiet and F. Off somewhere else.

If you're in someone else's country and you're offended by their flag , then keep quiet and F. Off back to your own country.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Tentickles

I guess I would tell that person if they don't like this country and its' patriotism and flag then get the hell out or start your own country.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
I am not judging anyone as I say this
I am just making an observation

People's priorities are all messed up

Look at this thread
How did this not get moved to "other current events" or even BTS?

it got 13 flags from very PROUD people i'm sure while there are way more pressing issues at hand.

the one's calling themselves patriots in this thread do not understand the word.

posted on May, 28 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join