It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 480
<< 477  478  479    481  482  483 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by noangels

Why do you think catching it now will make you any stronger in the winter? It will mutate and your immunity won't be as strong.

Avoid any infection...FULL STOP.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 09:06 AM
link   
reply to post by PrisonerOfSociety

I did say IF mate

I dont think anyone can avoid it unless there far away from the population,work at home and dont go out a lot

There is no way I can avoid this apart from living like a hermit,and I am not doing that!

We are bound to get it by our circle of friends we know.

The good thing is(at the moment)that many who get it say its just like the normal flu.Of course the unlucky ones die,hopefully myself,friends and family(and all ats brothers and sisters)will be the lucky guys

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Girl of Nine has died at Birmingham childrens hospital, after contracting swine flue. Brings the death tole to 3.

The Health Protection Agency confirmed 588 new cases of swine flu in the West Midlands region on Monday, taking the total number of cases in the region to 2,104.

Source BBC NEWS

They are saying they also fear an increase in cases will hit the UK in the autum.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Argentina seems to be much worse than it is reported officially and in the local mainstream media. If you tune in some small news channels like Canal26 you find that there are lots of people claiming they had relatives who died while being in intensive care hospital units with people with their same sympthoms but doctors are not allowed to tell them the cause of death until tomorrow when the santitary emergency is declared official. they all concluded that their relatives died because of the swine flu but the doctors were ordered not to talk about swine flu. It seems that Kirchners didnt want this catastophic illnes to interfere with the midterm elections that took place yesterday and MSM does nothing but talk about today. Tomorrow a complete different scenario is to be expected, pretty much like Mexico in the first days of the outbreak with events all cancelled and restaurante, bars, shopping malls, cinemas and of course schools closed. By the way health minister Ocaña has resigned, definetively not looking good here...

Edit spelling... my phone keeps correcting me to spanish expressions

[edit on 29-6-2009 by Narciso]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   
I'd like to know what all these "underlying problems" are....

every death, across the world, ads that mundane phrase to it. A pointless narrative that is meaningless.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Yes I agree,all the UK deaths are caused by underlying health problems

I get the feeling that if you die,they always say that!

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Danish health officials confirm one case of H1N1 swine flu which is resistance to Tamiflu, first known case.

From tweetdeck.

translate.google.com...

29. June 2009 - Resistance of pandemic influenza A H1N1v detected in Denmark June 2009 - Resistance of pandemic influenza A H1N1v detected in Denmark

The first case of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v found in Denmark. The first case of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v found in Denmark. This is the first identified cases worldwide. This is the first identified cases worldwide.

It is well known and expected that influenza virus can mutate spontaneously. It is well known and expected that influenza virus can mutate spontaneously. Resistance has not changed the virus' ability to infect or cause disease, the assessment is that they are a relatively mild flu. Resistance has not changed the virus' ability to infect or cause disease, the assessment is that they are a relatively mild flu.

The person is now healthy, and there is no further evidence of infection with resistant virus. The person is now healthy, and there is no further evidence of infection with resistant virus. The infection was in preventative treatment with oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) because of close contact with a case that was infected abroad. The infection was in preventative treatment with oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) because of close contact with a case that was infected abroad. Yet he had flu symptoms. Yet he had flu symptoms. A test showed that the person was infected with influenza A H1N1v. A test showed that the person was infected with influenza A H1N1v. Further studies at Statens Serum Institut has now shown that the virus has mutated. Further studies at Statens Serum Institut has now shown that the virus has mutated. It is resistant to the antiviral agent oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®), while zanamivir (Relenza ®) can continue to be used for treatment. It is resistant to the antiviral agent oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®), while zanamivir (Relenza ®) can continue to be used for treatment.

World Health Organization Calls on the basis of the Danish case for increased attention to the possibility of development of resistance in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v. World Health Organization Calls on the basis of the Danish case for increased attention to the possibility of development of resistance in the pandemic influenza A H1N1v.

A similar development of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) is also seen in the winter influenza A H1N1, which has circulated the past two winter seasons. A similar development of resistance to oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®) is also seen in the winter influenza A H1N1, which has circulated the past two winter seasons.

Each fund in Denmark is mentioned not unexpected. Each fund in Australia is mentioned not unexpected. It does not constitute a risk to public health and does not need to change the recommendations for the use of oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®). It does not constitute a risk to public health and does not need to change the recommendations for the use of oseltamivir (Tamiflu ®).

In Denmark the situation continues to be followed closely with monitoring of disease incidence and investigation of all isolated influenza A H1N1v. In Denmark the situation continues to follow closely in the monitoring of disease incidence and investigation of all isolated influenza A H1N1v.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Yep girl of nine died, im not sure if she had any underlying health problems.

In the winter they wont be able to say that anymore.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Okay, so I have been checking up on the swine flu case/ death updates on the WHO. The last update was two days ago, and todays update (#55) showed that 40 more DEATHS in america have been accounted for and only 6,268 more cases. Also, everyone seems to be spot on about Argentina. They now have 23 deaths ( 2 more from previous update), however only a mere 97 new cases.

who-swine flu-update 55

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by coliecanolie

Todays update isn't up to date as far as I can tell. The Netherlands is listed with 118 infections, while the RIVM (the Dutch CDC) has reported 126 cases since last friday. It could well be that all the figures are erm a bit conservative.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Buried in the aggregate numbers is the fact that there are "hot zones" where there seem to variations of the flu that are drastically more lethal than the aggregate numbers suggest. In the aggregate, the mortality rate is around 0.43%, however, if you look at unaggregated zones, you find that a Cali-Utah strain has a mortality rate of 1.1%, a mexican strain with a mortality rate of 1.44% a New York strain with a mortality rate of 1.55%, and the Argentine strain with a mortality rate of 1.64%.

That's disturbing.

Up next: massive spread in the US after the 4th of July. This is the US equivalent of what happened in Mexico during Easter celebrations...loads of people cheek by jowl celebrating in a national way without concern for consequences. In Mexico it was because no one knew yet. On the 4th, it will be because no one yet accepts the severity of the problem enough to take a financial hit to prevent the spread.

Look out, folks. Me, I never celebrate the 4th for several reasons: for a Native Americans, it's the equivalent of Jews celebrating the founding of the Nazi Party; plus, after combat, I've had my fill of loud explosions, bright lights, and stuff blowing up. But for the rest of you, at least my fellow ATSers, please stay home and avoid crowds.

Don't make it worse.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by -Rugged Shark-

Yes, I figured the cases/death rate was probably well under reported. I find it pretty comical that with all the problems within our world the american news is so taken with Micheal Jackson. It seems every news channel I turn to, all I hear is "BEAT IT, JUST BEAT IT". Back in April, the news was hooked on swine flu when only a reported handful of deaths had even occured. Now that it seems the flu is spreading, its " swine flu?..huh?.. what swine flu?"

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Notice this interesting discovery:

Once the virus has neutralised one host in a country, the deaths start to occur on a more regular basis. It seems Swine Flu infects a large population, gains the ability to survive and adapt then becomes fatal.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
The uk death is now a 6yr old girl, instead of a 9 yr old.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
infinite-

Thailand" a "healthy" navy cadet is 3rd flu fatality

A Thai navy cadet infected with H1N1 has been confirmed as the nation's third fatality. He died from pneumonia. Reports indicate was a young "healthy" man with no previous medical conditions. His health declined on June 28, and he died the following day at a naval base hospital in Chonburi province.

No underlying conditions, but the cytokine storm hit fast.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:48 PM
link   
It has swept across the world killing at least 300 people and infecting thousands more. Yet the swine flu pandemic might not have happened had it not been for the accidental release of the same strain of influenza virus from a research laboratory in the late 1970s, according to a new study.

Scientists investigating the genetic make-up of flu viruses have concluded there is a high probability that the H1N1 strain of influenza "A" behind the current pandemic might never have been re-introduced into the human population were it not for an accidental leak from a laboratory working on the same strain in 1977.

Yesterday, the Department of Health announced a further surge in the number of cases in Britain with another 1,604 confirmed over the weekend, and the death of a nine-year-old girl in Birmingham with underlying medical complications; the third death in Britain from swine flu-related problems.

Almost 6,000 Britons have now been infected with the influenza "A" (H1N1) strain of swine flu. But two medical researchers believe that this strain of the virus had been extinct in the human population for more than 20 years until it was unwittingly reintroduced by scientists working in a research lab somewhere in the world, leading to a pandemic in 1977 that began in Russia and China.

"Careful study of the genetic origin of the [1977] virus showed that it was closely related to a 1950 strain, but dissimilar to influenza 'A' (H1N1) strains from both 1947 and 1957. This finding suggested that the 1977 outbreak strain had been preserved since 1950. The re-emergence was probably an accidental release from a laboratory source," according to the study published in The New England Journal of Medicine.
www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Why not try what some parents inthe Uk are doing, Have Swine Flu Parties,
So thier immune systems will be stronger when they catch the virus itself.

Yes can you believe it some parents are contimplating doing this. Beggars believe I swear it.

Holding, Throwing "swine flu parties" in an attempt to get immunity against the virus while it is a fairly mild form is not a good idea, doctors say.

Reports have emerged of people intentionally mixing with friends who have flu.

BBC SOURCE

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:38 AM
link   
My town has just been classed as a hot spot for swine flu, Its going round loads of school children, They are keeping the schools open but are no longer testing in our area, Anyone with symptoms will be given the drug,

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by asala

Do you mean 'London town', that's a pretty big collective; can you be more specific as London is definitely one to watch.

Do you use the tube? Have you seen people wearing masks yet?

Schools break up for 6 weeks in 2 weeks, so it should be interesting if they try to keep them open until then.

posted on Jun, 30 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
It's strange how the U.K has so many cases of Swine flu and then here in Ireland there's like only 20
We're right across the pond from England and yet nearly no swine flu

new topics

top topics

<< 477  478  479    481  482  483 >>

join