It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 479
<< 476  477  478    480  481  482 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Argentina on verge of declaring swine flu emergency. Here is some more info on Argentina, and perhaps will help answer the question about what the WHO is watching in the southern hemisphere.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by novacs4me]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Trayen11

There is such a thing called a cyst. It's sometimes non-urgent so a procedure to get it removed can be delayed.

There are several postings scattered throughout this and a few other threads that can possibly treat the symptons. Please keep in mind what your food allergies may be.

Hope you feel better soon.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's my local version of an update-

www.wsmv.com...

It is such a non article. Slowing down? We had 30 more caases in one week. We'd been having 4 new cases confirmed a week.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Whats scary is that in the UK the temp is 32c and the virus is still spreading, 100's of cases each day, in the winter there will be thousands of cases, business will grind to a halt, imagine if nobody was able to work in Tesco!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4me
Argentina on verge of declaring swine flu emergency. Here is some more info on Argentina, and perhaps will help answer the question about what the WHO is watching in the southern hemisphere.

With 26 dead out of 1597, no wonder the doctors want to declare an emergency...that means the mortality rate has gone from a little over 1.4% to 1.64% in a matter of days. As I noted earlier, the Cali-Utah variety seems to have an official mortality of 1.1%, while the New York strain is 1.55% lethal, those according to the officially reported numbers. If they are under-reported as we suspect, the true mortality rate is, has to be nearer 2% or above. That would mean that the CDC's estimate of casualties during the regular flu season are about three to four times under-estimated: closer to two million dead in the US. That's a lot of bodies.

This bug is already extremely bad news as is....if it gets more lethal, holy crap we're in trouble.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by apacheman]

[edit on 28-6-2009 by apacheman]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

Here is a timely article from the New Zealand ministry of health on what symptoms to watch out for. Most people get the mild form of the flu, but some have a severe course.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
Btw, the best treatment I know for flu is to gargle hot sauce at the first sign of sore throat. Take a tablespoon of the hottest hot sauce you can get (like habenero), stick it as far back in your throat as you can without gagging, then tilt your head back swiftly in one smooth motion allowing the sauce to pour directly into your throat. If you do it right, your mouth won't burn.

The capsaicin (the stuff that makes peppers hot) creates a local environment that is beyond the survivability ranges of most bacteria and virii. Whenever I've felt the flu coming on, I do this and have reduced the severity considerably. You need to repeat every couple of hours for a day or so. Hope this tip helps.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   

No one is scared of H1N1 in it's current state, the fear is if it mutates. Then you won't be laughing, you'll be dying.

Actually it probably will mutate, perhaps several times. The fear isn't that it will mutate. The fear is that it will mutate into something that is more deadly, yet not TOO deadly, that can spread easily, and that we won't have any cure for come flu season.

The odds of *that* happening are indeed, rather low, as stated by many influenza experts. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit

No one is scared of H1N1 in it's current state, the fear is if it mutates. Then you won't be laughing, you'll be dying.

Actually it probably will mutate, perhaps several times. The fear isn't that it will mutate. The fear is that it will mutate into something that is more deadly, yet not TOO deadly, that can spread easily, and that we won't have any cure for come flu season.

The odds of *that* happening are indeed, rather low, as stated by many influenza experts. Possible? Sure. Likely? Not at all.

Speak for yourself, a current mortality rate above 1.5% scares the crap out of me. The 1918 flu had a mortality of over 2.5%, so we're not that far from it as is, especially if you factor in under-reporting.

Here's a good link to the 1918 stats:

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
[

Please state your sources for those many influenza experts. Thanks!

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   
From the Canadian Press, Toronto: Critics say 'mild' a misleading term

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

It looks like someone translated that Spanish article you found: lungs that burn in hours

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by novacs4me

When I seen them speak of the burning lungs I thought back to this article where the 1918 spainish flu did that same thing.

Experimental Infection of Pigs with the Human 1918 Pandemic Influenza Virus

FIG. 2. Extent of gross lung lesions in the infected piglets. Lung lesions at 5 and 7 dpi in the 1930/rec and 1918/rec virus-infected animals and in the 1918/rec virus-inoculated pigs also at 12 (pig 106) and 17 (pigs 107 and 108) dpi. Total extent of the lung lesions (white columns) and the extent of the lesions in the diaphragmatic lobes (black columns) are given as the total lung surface percentage for individual animals. While the macroscopic lesions in the lungs of the 1930/rec virus-infected animals did not appear to be spreading, the lung lesions in the 1918/rec virus-infected animals were more extensive later times postinfection (after 7 dpi).

Graph for above quote.

[edit on 28-6-2009 by JBA2848]

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Jun, 28 2009 @ 10:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by apacheman
I'm more than a bit concerned about the potential for disaster that the San Diego ComicCon represents: over fifty thousand fans from all over the world literally rubbing shoulders, sharing doorknobs, restrooms, etc. What do you suppose the odds are that several different vairieties of flu will be brought in by folks who don't know they're sick until after they get there? And what are the odds that some people will wind up infected with more than one type of swine flu? When that mix mutates...

And then they all go home...

And to make matters worse....they all GO HOME.

Have you SEEN the hygiene of some of these people?
Okay I just had to. Carry on.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 12:00 AM
link   
I found a summary of hospitalized cases of patients with H1N1 in California from April to May, 2009. This summary will tell you about the 30 patients who were hospitalized, giving details about their underlying conditions, age, length of stay, diagnosis upon admission, etc.

Toward the bottom of the page, there are some really easy to read tables that let you see a lot of this information at a glance. All this information is from the CDC. Here's the link so you can see this information for yourselves.

[edit on 29-6-2009 by cornblossom]

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Insect cells used to incubate swine flu vaccine in Australia.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by novacs4me
It looks like someone translated that Spanish article you found: lungs that burn in hours

This article needs to be posted everytime someone here posts things like 'seasonal flu kills 36,000 a year and that isn't happening with swine flu' or 'it's all hype'.

That was an amazing article! This swine flu is VERY different from other flus.

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
On the news today a Doctor says the true amount here is closer to 40 thousand.
I wouldnt mind catching it now,if it makes one imune to the winter version!

Also a 73 year old man from Scotland has become the 2nd victim(both deaths from scotland)

posted on Jun, 29 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by tarifa37

Nearly 400 cases in the South East.

Predicted we will be the next area to declare the virus out of control. My friends father has contracted Swine Flu, Ramsgate has a significant outbreak occurring.

new topics

top topics

<< 476  477  478    480  481  482 >>

join