It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 435
<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei
Argentiniam congressman proposes the closure of the border with Chile to avoid swine flu.
In Mendoza, Argentina a bus arriving from Chile was attacked with rocks by a mob of argentinians.

Los Tiempos

Why would people stone bus with an infected person in it, if this swine flu is only as mild as the seasonal flu?

Is this our first real case of panic / chaos?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
[edit on 22-5-2009 by severdsoul]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
reply to post by captaintrippy

Mild as seasonal flu? ? ? Have you read any of the post?

not to sound rude, but go back about 20 pages and do some reading, the MSM may be telling that it is as mild as seasonal flu, but stats and documents tell a whole diffrent story.

There is something afoot at the OK coral and its not seasonal flu.

You failed to understand his post.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by larphillips

In answer to your question -

Mass mortalities due to disease outbreaks have recently affected major taxa in the oceans. For closely monitored groups like corals and marine mammals, reports of the frequency of epidemics and the number of new diseases have increased recently...

Several criteria have been proposed (4) to distinguish new diseases affecting humans. Criteria applicable to disease of nonhuman hosts include novelty of disease symptoms and rapid increases in disease prevalence and virulence...

New symptoms. Marked by two large-scale epidemics with significant community level impacts, the Caribbean basin has emerged as a disease hot spot...

Host shifts. It appears that most new diseases are not caused by new micro-organisms, but rather by known agents infecting new or previously unrecognized hosts. Evidence for this is persuasive in studies of morbilliviral diseases of marine mammals, which indicate that some severe outbreaks have been caused by introduction from terrestrial or other aquatic mammalian reservoir species. For instance, canine distemper virus (CDV) was thought to be introduced into crab-eating seals in Antarctica by contacts with infected sled dogs used during an antarctic expedition (20). Similarly, CDV isolated from Lake Baikal seals (Phoca sibirica) was genetically identical to CDV present in domestic dogs in Siberia (21) suggesting that the seal die-off was caused by direct or indirect contacts with domestic dogs. A closely related morbillivirus--phocine distemper virus (PDV)--that previously had not been recognized, was identified as the cause of another mass mortality that occurred in the late 1980s among harbor seals (Phoca vitulina) and grey seals (Halichoris gryphus) inhabiting the coastal waters of northwestern Europe (22). Soon after, infections with two other newly recognized morbilliviruses, dolphin morbillivirus (DMV) and porpoise morbillivirus (PMV), were shown to be the cause of mass mortalities and disease outbreaks among dolphins, porpoises, and other cetacean species all over the world (23). PDV was thought to be transmitted to the previously unexposed seals of northwestern Europe by infected harp seals, which migrated toward Europe in response to food shortages due to overfishing around Greenland in the late 1980s (24). Serological studies have shown also that morbilliviruses like DMV and PMV are ubiquitous among cetaceans and are probably transmitted periodically between species (25). A recent survey conducted among terrestrial and aquatic carnivores of Alaska showed that both CDV and PDV are endemic in these populations (26). Recently, DMV- and PMV-like viruses were found in the highly endangered Mediterranean monk seals, which had died either during a mass mortality off the coast of Mauritania or as individually dispersed animals found in Greek waters (27) (Fig. 2). In addition, influenza viruses that had spilled over from aquatic or migratory avian reservoirs have caused mortality among seals and whales (28).

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Yeah, I get that. I've been reading this thread since the beginning. Perhaps I could have phrased what I meant better... What I meant was how can the MSM expect us to believe that it is mild when people are being stoned over it?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by larphillips

To further this food chain discussion, could this perhaps explain some of the mass whale and dolphin beachings that happened a couple of months ago?

Oh slap me yes... that was WEIRD!!!

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here are some more WHO news from reuters

Tests suggests more out there

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The most complete analysis yet of the new H1N1 swine flu virus shows it must have been circulating undetected for years, most likely in pigs, researchers said on Friday. They said it is important to start doing better surveillance of influenza viruses in pigs, as they are clearly a potential source of human pandemics

U.S directs £1 billion for new vaccine

WHO chief says world should prepare for severe flu

Also from the WHO assembly

WHO assembly meeting

22 MAY 2009 | GENEVA -- The 62nd World Health Assembly, which brought together health ministers and senior health officials from WHO's Member States, closed today with the adoption of resolutions on a variety of global health issues including primary health care, the prevention and control of multidrug- resistant and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis, public health, innovation and intellectual property and pandemic influenza preparedness. The Health Assembly also passed the Programme Budget for 2010 -2011

[edit on 22/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

[edit on 22/5/09 by gallifreyan medic]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

People being stoned over it, if true, is just an example of fear and ignorance, it has nothing to do with the virus itself.
You also have to look at where this allegedly happened, that area of the world has an entirely different culture than other countries in the western hemisphere, people tend to be a bit more violent in most of the South American countries.

The more I read about this virus the more i believe that it is probably not very life threatening, very contagious yes but not a super killer like some people are suggesting.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by Kr0n0s]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
www.lasvegassun.com...

The World Health Organization said Friday it will change the rules for declaring a swine flu pandemic, a virus the agency's chief called "sneaky" because of its ability to spread quickly from person to person and potentially mutate into a deadlier form.

Many countries fear a pandemic declaration would trigger mass panic, and be economically and politically damaging. For developed countries that already have activated their pandemic preparedness plans, a pandemic declaration would change little in their response strategies. Earlier this week, Britain and other countries urged WHO to reconsider its pandemic definition. WHO hastily responded to these concerns, as Fukuda said the agency would revise the conditions needed to move from the current phase 5 to the highest level, phase 6, which makes it a pandemic.

And now the fudging begins in earnest.............

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kr0n0s

The more I read about this virus the more i believe that it is probably not very life threatening, very contagious yes but not a super killer like some people are suggesting.

Please support your positions and statements when they make accusations about other members:

1. Show the "who and how" of people suggesting the virus is a "super killer"
2. Show us your proof that the virus is "not very life threatening"

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ecoparity

Hi eco, we haven't heard from you today so I hope you are feeling better!

I read these exact two accounts of personal stories over in the Market Ticker Forum today...seems as though even in a market forum people are starting to talk more and share these stories! Maybe they will finally make in into the MSM. Whatever the case is, these are horrifying descriptions. I hope thay are few and far between.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   

www.who.int...
Out of 11034 infected, only 85 have died, according to the WHO. That's .7% fatalities. I do not consider this a significant threat yet, especially since people are currently recovering alright at home in my state.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
okay i want to know one thing. has anyone that recovered been seen talking? i know they done a interview a few days back with someone who had it but i think he was a fake if you even have the normal flu you want to sleep not go on a talk show. and why are they not giving names out? i think somethings wrong here.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Chill out dude or dudette.. where did i say I was talking about people here on ATS?
I dont have to show you proof or provide external quotes when im offering my opinion on any subject in ATS.
Dont even try to dictate to me on how to conduct myself in this or any other thread.

My opinion on it not being very life threatening comes from official numbers that ive seen on many different sites.
11000 infected and 86 deaths isnt a super killer and if the CDC's assumption is correct and over 100000 are infected then that makes it even less of a threat.

www.who.int... Out of 11034 infected, only 85 have died, according to the WHO. That's .7% fatalities. I do not consider this a significant threat yet, especially since people are currently recovering alright at home in my state.

Exactly, thanks raven

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
oops! there you are eco! You popped in while I was typing my previous post! I wanted to add that the Market Ticker has a section for the H1N1, with a thread titled ADisturbing Symptom.(sorry for not providing the link...but it is there if you would like to investigate.

Thanks!
FMF

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

www.who.int...
Out of 11034 infected, only 85 have died, according to the WHO. That's .7% fatalities. I do not consider this a significant threat yet, especially since people are currently recovering alright at home in my state.

You're seriously going to quote the "official" statistics after it's been proven they are not only false but that testing was terminated early on and even when they were testing the kit used was incapable of detecting this virus?

If you believe the official stats why are you here?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   
Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Because I don't believe everything that I hear from random people online who probably don't know what's going on either. I know if the flu was a serious issue in NYC, more people there would have it. Almost everyone would. And they don't, because my mom works in a medical office there and things are fine. She's not sick and she's surrounded by hundreds of people everyday during her commute. And if she was sick, I would be, too. And I'm not. I think people are paranoid. Until I see mysterious deaths and people dropping like flies, and more absences from schools and workplaces, I'm going to be cliche and pull the "more people die of X everyday than people have died from this virus so far."

I haven't been really participating in the Swine threads because I don't think it's an issue. Kind of like when everyone was concerned about Yellowstone and there was a huge thread and then it didn't blow up. Right.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aeons
Be careful when you fight the monsters, lest you become one.
Friedrich Nietzsche

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

Originally posted by ravenshadow13

www.who.int...

If you believe the official stats why are you here?

I think there's one question I'd like to ask: If the "REAL" number of infected people is around 150.000 and the CDR is about 0,8%, there should be at least 1.200 death due to this bloody virus.
How the hell the government and MSM could fake 1.190 death certificates and nobody could prove this big cover up??

<< 432  433  434    436  437  438 >>

join