It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 433
<< 430  431  432    434  435  436 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Well I'm STILL confused. I mentioned a couple of weeks ago that my dad is a very well known physician who works with the CDC, Homeland Security, is a professor at a major university and has written many books..including one on BIOTERRORISM. He STILL is pushing this thing under the rug so to speak.

Yesterday I asked him what the latest was and he said that he doesn't even pay any attention because it's nothing more then a head cold. And that we are STILL due for a pandemic and he would be worried if this was a bird flu.

I told yall before that this is a man who cares so much about his family that we have emergency procedures in place if a bird-flu (or something similar) were to happen. But he's not at all concerned about this thing at all...as a matter of fact he just booked a cruise for my mother to Italy next month.

So I don't know what to think...I have been following this thread since day 1 and personally I think it IS extremely serious. It's just confusing to me that he has all of the latest information but is still not taking it seriously. Either that or he doesn't want to scare us.

Oh..and a girl in my office came to work extremely sick yesterday...nausea, sore throat, etc. She wouldn't go home. And my other coworkers were joking with her saying that she must have that "giraffe-flu". Ugh.

-Nat

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:46 AM
link   

extremely sick

Swine flu, giraffe flu or just not well I would be at my bosses office demanding she was sent home until she felt better..

This is why I run my own business *shudder* anyone not well regardless of what it is can just go home... I dont need or want to be sick.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 08:58 AM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

the discrepancy only exists because of the lack of reported numbers. Using the available totals posted gives you a mortality rate of just under 1%, which is very high. However it is consensus here that the numbers a greatly under reported by all involved and the infections and deaths are not being reported.

If they are not accurately reporting infections they also are not reporting deaths accurately.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Health officials said Wednesday that a second case of H1N1 virus - the so-called swine flu - has been confirmed in Monroe County.

We continue to submit tests to the state laboratory. The more cases we test, the more cases we are likely to find,” said Monroe County Health Director Dr. Andrew Doniger in a statement.

rochesterhomepage.net...

Lies, lies and more freaking lies! I just spoke with one of the Infectious control nurses two days ago and she plainly told me they are not testing ANYONE that is not a candidate for hospitalization! I guess since the horse is out of the barn, her words, the lies don't matter....right?

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Who knows what to believe regarding this flu. Im not doing any extensive research but Im finding so many different numbers regarding fatality rates.
Some reports that I find put the percentages in the low to mid teens and some reports are putting it below one percent, which is the one im most inclined to believe.
It really is hard to determine without an accurate count of world wide cases.
If its true that there are over a hundred thousand infected then based on the "official" death count, the fatality rate would be so small, your chances of dying from this are probably less than getting struck by lightening.
If its true that there are only around 11000 deaths, then the fatality rate is still under one percent, based on the number of deaths blamed on swine flu.

I think its hard to get a grasp on the number of infected because the symptoms dont seem to be the same as it is for the normal flu.
In my family, there are currently 5 people with identical but minor symptoms. My son, daughter, mom, brother and his wife are all complaining of fatigue, headache across the forehead, dry throat and sinuses, dry cough and achy muscles.

As for me, i have had a headache in the same place for the past three days but I attribute mine to sinus pressure because it feels like what happens to a person when they dive down into ten-fifteen feet of water and you get pressure in your sinus cavity and ears.
I get this a few times a year though, so im not blaming anything except maybe spring allergies.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by notcrazyinaustin
a girl in my office came to work extremely sick yesterday...nausea, sore throat, etc. She wouldn't go home.

Selfish B****. Complain up the chain about her.

My husband works at a major plant.
About a month ago they got notice that if anyone comes in sick and
won't go home, the co-workers are to tell management and they'll
'take care of it'.

[edit on 5/22/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

It's extremely widespread and unpredictable as hell.

That is some of the best advise anyone could read. Not that a lot of the GP will take it seriously.

The last time I read of a virus that did things like this before 2009 was in a field report from an Ebola outbreak in Africa. You know that scene in the movie where they fire bomb the entire village? You didn't think that was pure fiction, did you?

If anyone though that was pure fiction, they are fully lying to them self. Anyone with a brain knows that that is exactly what would happen, and the only logical thing to happen if it played out in real life.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 09:58 AM
link   
Ya'll have to read this

Online Journal

WMR has learned from an A/H1N1 researcher that the current “novel” flu strain is mutating rapidly in humans but no animals have contracted the virus. The enzyme in A/H1N1, as with all influenza A viruses, is called a polymerase. Scientists have calculated the molecular clock of A/H1N1 form the virus’s polymerase rate. Because of the rapid mutation of the virus and the fact that, unlike 1918, rapid global transportation is now the norm, scientists are predicting that the molecular clock of the A/H1N1 virus, coupled with modern transportation, means that almost all the countries of the world will experience an A/H1N1 outbreak within the next few months.

What is different about A/H1N1 is that, unlike other new strains of viruses that rapidly mutate upon emerging and then slow down mutation and then stop entirely, the “novel” or incorrectly-named “swine flu” is showing no signs yet of slowing down its mutation rate and that, according to scientists who worry about A/H1N1 being synthetically-generated, does not happen in nature.

WMR has learned from a journalist from Anchorage who covered the 1997 grave exhumation that there was CIA personnel with the team of scientists. Inuit elders of Brevig Mission argued that digging up the graves of the flu victims would release evil spirits. However, money allegedly changed hands between the U.S. government research team and some of the elders, so permission to dig up the graves was granted.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Swine flu is here and spreading by the hour, Health Minister warns
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
New cases of swine flu can be expected to emerge in Australia every hour, the Government warned after the first two cases emerged in Victoria and South Australia of localised transmission of the virus among individuals who had not travelled overseas.

A total of 13 people in Australia had been confirmed with swine flu by late yesterday, two of them in NSW.

NSW health authorities are still investigating 24 potential cases, as laboratories said they were prepared to process hundreds of samples a day, turning round the results in a matter of hours.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Hx3_1963

I just saw this functionality late last night and it's certainly easier than scraping every page lol. I didn't see this before when I was lurking because it is part of member services, even if I follow the link directly if I am not logged in I can't see your posts; it just brings me to the thread directly.

In any case, I sent 2 versions of the scraped html pages to ecoparity but because I do not have a high enough post count yet I can not U2U anyone a response.

I was kind of waiting for eco's feedback to determine if the scraped page format was useful or not from an archiving perspective.

I do agree though, as long as you are a member it is much easier to do a member search and then check out that user's posts on a per thread basis.

Thanks,
Loqeth

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   

SWINE flu has officially arrived in Australia with confirmation of the first human-to-human transmissions, experts say.

www.news.com.au...
I wonder if WHO/Chan are now scrambling to again re-define Alert Level 6, now that there appears to be spreading in the southern hemisphere.

[edit on 22-5-2009 by phoenixs1]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Darn it! You beat me.

This paragraph from the article was kinda scary:

What has been relayed by the researcher is that the original 1918 virus was the H1N1 virus. In Bio-safety level 3 (BSL-s) laboratory work that was largely classified, the virus was artificially combined with common H3N2 and a minor gene splice from the H5N1 Eurasian avian flu strain.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by joel1900
Darn it! You beat me.

I've had 5 years of practice here .. I get kinda quick!

I agree ... that paragraph is spooky. Frankly, the whole darn article
is spooky. Especially the not natural mutation language. Interesting, eh?

[edit on 5/22/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
AUSTRALIA'S swine flu alert has been raised amid fears of a full-scale epidemic as authorities confirmed the country's the 13th case.

www.news.com.au...

Health Minister Ms Roxon said people should not panic but added: "We do need to treat the spread of this disease as a fairly serious matter."
Most at risk were children, pregnant women, asthmatics, diabetics and "the grossly obese".
Victoria's acting chief health officer, Dr Rosemary Lester, said the virus was spreading faster than expected.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by notcrazyinaustin

He sees that there is a difference between a community level disease that could kill 60% of people who become infected, and one that will kill 2% of people who become infected.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   

The fear is that once a vaccination against AH1N1 is started, the virus will re-assort itself into a hybrid H1N1/H5N1 strain or mutate into a new H5N1 strain. The current AH1N1 strain, as previously reported by WMR, contains synthetically gene-spliced strains of two forms of human flu viruses, two forms of swine flu viruses, and a single form of avian flu virus.
What researchers have told us is that as long as the current AH1N1 can infect humans, it will not try to mutate. Even though there have been deaths from AH1N1, most of those infected are sick for up to four days, take Tamiflu or similar drugs, and recover with immunity from the hybrid or “novel” virus. The vaccination program will be a profit maker for such Big Pharma firms as Sanofi-Aventis, GlaxoSmithKline and Baxter International.
However, with vaccinations, the AH1N1 virus will, of course, be rejected by human hosts and cases around the world will decrease. However, then, the virus will begin to mutate in order to successfully infect human hosts. And when that happens, the new, newly-mutated virus will become much more transmissible and more pathogenic.
The nightmare scenario is that the new, mutated virus may take on the characteristics of H5N1 or the avian flu. The vaccines administered for AH1N1 will be ineffective against the new strain of H5N1 and the world may face a more deadly pandemic then the current AH1N1 outbreak. There are scientists at WHO who are aware of this scenario but their alarm has been suppressed by political and economic considerations.

Link: Online Journal

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Influenze Graphs for the US from about 1880-1957

If these graphs are right, and the fact that people over 60 seem to have some "cross-reactive" antibodies - they have some potential immunity that seems to be bearing itself out in the numbers - this flu may be related to the 1951 Flu.

Which means that people in UK and Canada will have the highest rate of resistence to the new flu, if that is correct. This is because the worst mutation of the 1951 flu hit there.

May explain why Canada and the UK's infection and death rates are significantly differing.

[edit on 2009/5/22 by Aeons]

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 10:51 AM
link   
What we haven't learned from the 1918 pandemic.
1918 Article written by Louis Harris, MD

THE ULTIMATE BENEFITS TO BE DERIVED FROM THE EPIDEMIC
Louis I. HARRIS, D. P. H., M. D.,
Department of Health, New York City

Each of us should go back to our respective communities and urge and plead with all possible emphasis that the 350,000 and more deaths caused by the now waning epidemic in this country shall not pass from memory without leading to a drastic reorganization of public health work in every town, city and state, and in the Federal government as well.

Let us make it known that we were not properly prepared to meet the emergency, and let us not permit the significance of the facts revealing our handicaps and short comings to be minimized.

Let it be known that our hospital facilities were not organized to meet the situation, and that the lack of proper governmental control over these agencies caused no end of confusion and suffering.

The salvage of human life ought to be placed above barter and exchange. Shall we not in our reorganization provide so as to be prepared to meet a recrudescence of fhe epidemic or the development of a new emergency?

Shall we, as a nation who have unstintingly given billions for the conduct of war, plead economy and withhold the much smaller sums needed to make possible the protection of, human life on a decent scale?

We should take the lessons of the epidemic to heart and go back to our respective communities and demand the apportionment of money for every justified expenditure for the organization of preventive measures, medical care and relief. We should demand that the morale of every local and state organization be raised to the highest standard possible and be safe from political, personal or other petty disturbance,...

Let this night mark the beginning of a persistent and unremitting propaganda carried on by this Association to bring home to every community the need of increasing its appropriations and its personnel, to the end that human life may be better protected.

In this way only may some measure of good be derived from the tragedy out of which we are apparently just emerging.

posted on May, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Latest from Reuters... ominous...

www.reuters.com...

"The world must be ready for H1N1 flu to become more severe and kill more people, World Health Organization chief Margaret Chan said on Friday."

WHO's Dr. Chan... "This is a subtle, sneaky virus. We have clues, many clues, but very few firm conclusions."

"Russia said on Friday it had its first confirmed case of the disease and the WHO was testing two suspected cases in Democratic Republic of Congo, which would be Africa's first."

"Japan will store anti-flu medicines like Tamiflu and Relenza and gear like masks and gowns at a warehouse in Singapore in case of a major outbreak. The WHO will decide when and where to use them."

Dr. Robert Booy, Sydney University... ""Once you have enough virus out there, evolution is simple," Booy said, adding the H1N1 virus could change to the point that it could get "nasty."

CURRENT THEMES...

* stealth and confusion... no one seems to have concrete answers or they are not telling, or both

* world press continues to downplay or disregard A/H1N1

* hints coming in (see posts by others in this thread re baseball player's wife) that there is a "drop dead" version of the virus out there (these deaths, if more are happening, may not make it into the MSM because they would be atypical of the "mild" strain or could be kept under wraps as part of the panic avoidance campaign approx 3 weeks underway

* WHO will now defer to it's "emergency committee" as to if and when going to L6... so I suppose it will be an "emergency" that precipitates an L6 announcement... I would imagine such an emergency would be dire on a global basis before they will go "all in"

* from various current reports on the web, scientists/experts seem to be genuinely worried that the second wave will be killer... virus seems to be extremely fast in spread and possibly very fast in mutating... one senses that the lab coats are having a difficult time pinning it down to absolute facts... seems to be changing faster than they can keep up with it

* officially, the outbreak was of natural origin... unofficially, there is plenty of credible speculation around the world that this virus was lab spliced together and was either released by accident or intentional... I don't see how something like this could have been an accident

* most of the general public in the USA have very little awareness of A/H1N1 news even though we are one of the hardest hit countries... media blackout worked well and continues to work for TPTB who seem to be worried about the economy

new topics

top topics

<< 430  431  432    434  435  436 >>

join