It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 375
<< 372  373  374    376  377  378 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Cases in India and Turkey.www.alertnet.org...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
@Cosmicpixie...Update from the Welsh Assembly Government

Swine Flu daily update: 16 May 2009
Issued by the Welsh Assembly Government and National Public Health Service for Wales (NPHS) Issued at: 11.30am Saturday 16 May 2009

Full Update Here

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Flu Leads Rikers to Cancel Inmate Visits

Published: May 16, 2009
The Department of Correction said Saturday that inmates at Rikers Island were advised to tell friends and relatives not to visit this weekend after it was disclosed late Friday that a prisoner received a diagnosis of probable swine flu there earlier in the week.

Full Article Here

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Mexico's swine flu death toll rises to 68
1 hour ago

MEXICO CITY (AP) — Mexico says tests have confirmed two more deaths from swine flu, bringing the nation's toll to 68.

Found Here

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by skitzspiricy

So now we stand at 75 deaths confirmed. its risen very quickly in the last few days.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by jonny2410

These two recent deaths died early last week

I think we'll see a much larger rise in deaths over the next few weeks...

All suffering from 'underlying health conditions' of course

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Five potential swine flu cases
May 16 2009

Five new possible cases of swine flu in Scotland are under investigation, the Health Secretary has said.

Nicola Sturgeon said in her latest update that 11 possible cases had now been ruled out.

Test results on two probable cases were expected in the next 24 hours.

Found Here

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   
A few more of the latest headlines

news.yahoo.com...
World flu figures soar
Officials ordered schools closed and cancelled public events in the Japanese city of Kobe Saturday, after eight students tested positive for swine flu and scores more reported feeling ill.

scores more - a score is 20 people so that would imply 40-60 at least. So its going to be all over japan (probably already was)

www.khaleejtimes.com.../theuae/2009/May/theuae_May407.xml§ion=theuae&col=
Indian Transiting Dubai Tested Positive for Swine Flu
DUBAI/ABU DHABI — All passengers on a flight between Dubai and Hyderabad, India are being tracked down after a passenger tested positive for swine flu.
So that's India too

www.channelnewsasia.com...
China reports third confirmed H1N1 flu case
Posted: 17 May 2009 0430 hrs

www.jamaicaobserver.com...
LONDON, England (AP) - The World Health Organisation has been warning for weeks that H1N1 flu is on the verge of flaring into the first flu pandemic in four decades.
With more cases detected in more countries every day, many experts think the declaration of a pandemic is inevitable.

"At this point, you have to expect that what happened in the US and Mexico will happen around the world," Osterholm said. "The virus is continuing to spread. I can't see how we won't get to a pandemic at this rate."
Bolded the last line - whats this some truth???

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Belgium confirms 5th swine flu case

Health authorities have confirmed Belgium's fifth case of swine flu.
The country's influenza task force says a young man tested positive on Saturday for the H1N1 virus, the formal name for swine flu.

The man, whose name and age were not given, has joined four others in a special quarantine ward of a hospital in Brussels. Authorities say all are doing fine and will make a full recovery.

In the first two cases reported in Belgium earlier this week, the men had recently returned from the U.S.

Found Here

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Here is a artical on the school principal in New York.www.nydailynews.com...

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Just wanted to make an update, I've been busy the past couple of days.

Some of my contacts who have been breaking down the genetics and folding them have just finished a 4 day, non stop run with no sleep. They are writing up the results in a white paper which will support the assertions of Dr Gibbs that the H1N1 Swine Flu originated in a laboratory.

More details to follow on what specific items in the assay confirmed the Gibbs position. I'm told there are numerous indicators which leave the team without a doubt that the virus is man-made.

In related news:
They say to expect an even more intense effort to suppress flu related items in the media based on meetings with CDC and various State / Federal representatives.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by ecoparity

They say to expect an even more intense effort to suppress flu related items in the media based on meetings with CDC and various State / Federal representatives.

Eco:

I never thought this day would come, but I've found more relevant flu- related items from the Chinese Media ?!?!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
WHO flu talks end without deal

The WHO meeting had been planned for some time but took on new urgency with the outbreak last month of a new version of swine flu, the influenza A (H1N1) virus which has already infected nearly 8,500 people in 38 countries.

Discussions began on the subject in 2007 amid an outbreak of the bird flu.

Indonesia, one of the countries hit in the outbreak, raised the issue of the sharing of vaccines between industrialised and developing countries which do not have the means to produce enough doses in case of a global pandemic.

Poor countries argued they should have access to the resulting vaccines, especially if the samples came from the developing world.

But rich countries led by the United States wanted pharmaceuticals companies to be able to claim the vaccines as intellectual property and earn royalties on them.

The WHO's World Assembly, its governing body, begins its annual meeting on Monday in Geneva and discussions on the subject could continue.

So now the flu vaccine is coming down to who gets the royalties and gets rich from a global flu pandemic. That just reminds me of the broken medical system we have already. Patients are just numbers and money.
The words global flu pandemic must really be making the calculators work over time at the pharmasotical companies.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Federal Health Minister Nicola Roxon says the number of Australians currently being tested for swine flu has risen from 28 to 30.

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

That really makes me mad!!! why are we any better than anyone else that gets this! This would just slow down the production for other poor countries while people die. It isnt always about the freaking money!

Intellectual property is a pile of steaming # when millions of lives are at stake!!

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Check this out...

New Experimental Treatment Being Used to Help Critical Swine Flu Patient
The device, about the size of a printer, is called a Hemo-Modulator, currently an experimental treatment for those suffering from HIV and Hepatitis C.

Link to article
interesting concept!

More info on the company Energex
Link to article

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
peterosbornuk: Of the 173 people sick enough to be hospitalized with swine flu h1n1, over half are in the 5-to-24 age group #swineflu #h1n1 2 minutes ago from web

peterosbornuk: Average age of confirmed and probable cases of swine flu h1n1 is 15 years. Two-thirds younger than 18. #swineflu #h1n1 4 minutes ago from web

Here's some nice Intel on the WHO criteria for classifying this crisis...much more technical background is in the article...

Pandemic Information News
Date: Wed 13 May 2009
pandemicinformationnews.blogspot.com...

~
WHO declines to assign severity scale
-------------------------------------
The World Health Organization (WHO) said today that it is unable to assign
a severity scale to the influenza A (H1N1) epidemic for the reason that
disease characteristics and responses of countries vary. Dr Sylvie Briand,
with the WHO Global Influenza Programme, spoke today [13 May 2009] at a
media briefing in Geneva. According to Dr Briand, the WHO pandemic alert
level phases are mainly based on the transmission of the virus and its
geographical spread, while "the severity itself is assessed by other
means." Currently, the pandemic alert level has remained at level 5 out of
6, indicating community-based outbreaks in a single WHO region.

The severity of a potential pandemic is based on 3 factors: "the
[characteristics of the] virus, the vulnerability of the population, and
the intervention we can put in place to reduce the impact of severe
disease,"
Dr Briand said. Assessing severity is important for helping
countries determine their response to an outbreak, but at a global level, a
severity index is "not very helpful" because "severity will vary from place
to place," she said. Dr Briand pointed out that while wealthier countries
may have the resources to mount a more effective response to an outbreak,
some developing parts of the world such as West Africa are already used to
coping with epidemics and may be at an advantage due to having healthcare
systems in place. This is referred to as the "resilience" of a country, she
said.
Much more at Link...

Notice the bold in the article...*I Believe* this is what is holding up the Level 6...

[edit on 5/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 16 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
This got my notice as I found this article that goes over mostly the posts you guys linked today-

Glaxo will add an adjuvant, a chemical compound that jolts the immune system into a stronger reaction than the seed stock virus alone does.

This is from-

www.nytimes.com...

Add a chemical compound?

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Japan confirms 20 more cases of swine flu
Tokyo, May 17, 2009
hindustantimes.com

Japan's health ministry announced Sunday that 20 more teenagers have been confirmed as having swine flu, as the government shut down schools in affected cities. The country's tally is now at 25.

The students, who attend several high schools in the western prefectures of Hyogo and Osaka, tested positive for the H1N1 virus over the weekend and are recovering at local hospitals, ministry official Takuya Nemoto said.

The news of the rapid spread of the virus at schools came a day after Japan confirmed its first domestic case of swine flu in another student in the western port city of Kobe, about 270 miles (430 kilometers) west of Tokyo.

The students have not traveled overseas recently, but tested positive for the same strain that has killed more than 70 people worldwide, mostly in Mexico.

The government immediately ordered schools closed in parts of the affected cities. Kobe also canceled its annual festival and other events planned for the weekend.
More at Link...

[edit on 5/17/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on May, 17 2009 @ 12:16 AM
link   
hello all, I have been bedridden here with something I never head of before...asthmatic bronchitis?

I see things are continuing on as expected, more illness, more serious cases, and silence from the Western Media. I agree with the person that said who would have ever thought we would get more from China on something like this.

Eco I am so sure they are going to put the lid on this thing nice and tight.

When I went to the doctor so sick I was sure they were going to ask about testing me for it but nothing. I guess I had no stomach issues only the pounding headache and this cough and more fluid in my lungs than I have ever dealt with including when I had pneumonia once. All I know is if the so called mild flu is worse that what laid me down for about a week solid, I never want it, ever!

top topics

<< 372  373  374    376  377  378 >>

join