It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TheCoffinman

Costa Rica too.

I've had flu all week, but I feel much today
Tip: sneezing in public helps to speed up queues

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

very true. sars was a big scare. but its strange. on New Zealand news there talking about when swine flu was found, alot of people have started going to hospitals with flu like symptons. maybe just a coincedence? im not sure. but like they said its a very rare strain that could still mutate further more

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by colbycheese3
reply to post by Adrifter

mmm lets just hope its another sars and just dies down

774 people died from SARS.

I don't think that many will die of this.
It's being contained almost everywhere.

Only deaths are in Mexico so far.

We shall see.

Its just really strange... I am watching this story unfold on the minute.. Its spreading all over Europe, but yes your right, only people dieing are in Mexico, which makes it even stranger.. Its defiantly strange.. SARS was geographically more or less in ASIA. This is different, its global.. 108 people or more have already died in Mexico btw.. Thats about 15-20 a day, since its inception.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
reply to post by colbycheese3

I know "they" (the msm) are saying a lot of things.... which makes me dubious of the whole thing.

There is a WHO meeting tomorrow and more info will be released.

I just think this is being made to be something far worse than it actually is.

Time will tell.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by Adrifter
Its just really strange... I am watching this story unfold on the minute.. Its spreading all over Europe, but yes your right, only people dieing are in Mexico, which makes it even stranger..

I think this is mainly to do with health care quality and availability of vaccinations.

Its defiantly strange.. SARS was geographically more or less in ASIA. This is different, its global.. 108 people or more have already died in Mexico btw.. Thats about 15-20 a day, since its inception.

SARS was also a global problem.
en.wikipedia.org...

The point is.... it's all just media hype.
It WAS bird/avian flu.....that was gonna kill us all...

Now it's this....and people just buy it.

As i said....time will tell and we'll see.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
twitter updatesreply to post by blupblup

apparantly the WHO meeting scheduled for tomorrow is now being held TODAY instead, they have basically put it forward - they must be especially concerned

"WHO spokeswoman confirms to me the meeting will be at 4 pm Geneva time
29 minutes ago from web "

Anyone know what time 4pm Geneva time is in GMT as I'm in the UK

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

OK cool....I'm UK too...they're an hour ahead so....

It will be 3pm GMT.

Cheers for the info.

[edit on 27/4/09 by blupblup]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:52 AM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

This link should help you figure out what local time for you would be

www.timeanddate.com...

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Death, Fear Surround Swine Flu Outbreak
World Races To Contain Outbreak
www.wgal.com...

WASHINGTON -- Governments are racing to find and contain pockets of swine flu around the globe, seeking to stem both the threat of a pandemic and public panic.

"We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size or seriousness of this outbreak is going to be," U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday.

In Mexico, the outbreak's epicenter, soldiers handed out 6 million face masks to help stop the spread of the novel virus that is suspected in up to 103 deaths. Most other countries are reporting only mild cases so far, with most of the sick already recovering. Cases have been confirmed in Canada -- six -- and the U.S. -- 20 -- and other countries from Spain to New Zealand were investigating whether other people with flu-like symptoms really have this new swine flu or something else.

# Michigan Department of Community Health says it is investigating a probable case of swine flu in Livingston County.4 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# A 31-year-old woman from eastern Veneto in Italy is hospitalized with suspected swine flu, RAI News24 reports.21 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Here are two points worth keeping in mind as we all try to stay current with this year's swine flu outbreak:

1. According to a variety of public health directors, such as Jonathan Fielding, MD, MPH, of Los Angeles County Health Services Department, this swine flu outbreak will cause most people to feel only mildly ill. The only people who are at risk for more severe illness are those whose health is already compromised by a chronic illness situation.

2. High-priced swine flu drugs such as Tamiflu contain an active ingredient extracted from the Chinese/Indian spice known as star anise. You can buy star anise at either larger grocery stores or at ethnic markets. I bought a large bag of star anise rosettes (this is the form in which it grows) from an Indian grocery import shop here in Los Angeles county... much much cheaper that way, and probably much fresher.

Peace and blessings.

PS: If anyone needs ideas on how to use star anise, I could post a recipe in the BTS Food section for soup which includes star anise as an ingredient. I'm off to the co-op market right now, but will be back online later today.

[edit on 4/27/2009 by Uphill]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

www.wgal.com...

WASHINGTON -- Governments are racing to find and contain pockets of swine flu around the globe, seeking to stem both the threat of a pandemic and public panic.

"We're preparing in an environment where we really don't know ultimately what the size or seriousness of this outbreak is going to be," U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano said Sunday.

In Mexico, the outbreak's epicenter, soldiers handed out 6 million face masks to help stop the spread of the novel virus that is suspected in up to 103 deaths. Most other countries are reporting only mild cases so far, with most of the sick already recovering. Cases have been confirmed in Canada -- six -- and the U.S. -- 20 -- and other countries from Spain to New Zealand were investigating whether other people with flu-like symptoms really have this new swine flu or something else.

# Michigan Department of Community Health says it is investigating a probable case of swine flu in Livingston County.4 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

# A 31-year-old woman from eastern Veneto in Italy is hospitalized with suspected swine flu, RAI News24 reports.21 minutes ago from BNO Headquarters

if people aren't dieing from this what is the big deal? If more people contract this flu, does it make it more likely to mutate into something else?
That a question I would like a answer to. Sincerely the mainstream media, isn't reporting jack on this really. I mean if this is just a mutated flu outbreak and no one is dieing or what not whats the big deal. I think its the cases in Mexico, that raise alarm, usually in your 20's or young teens or whatnot you DO not NEED to goto the Hospital for the flu. Unless these guys were just impoverished, ya know pilgrims or something. Anyhow I am learning, great thread...

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Adrifter]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
Adrifter, my understanding of mutations in disease pathogens is that these are unpredictable. So that's why the health establishment always seems to be "blindsided" by these outbreaks caused by mutations -- we won't know it's happening until it happens.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:07 AM
link   
update:

Sky News says WHO emergency meeting is to discuss pandemic alert level
4 minutes ago from web

journalist on twitter

If they have convened a day early for this meeting (it was meant to happen tomorrow ) and this is one of the main topics I think it logical to assume they are going to raise the level else why else meet a whole 24 hrs earlier than originally planned.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Mexico has bad health, it was the original outbreak point. no one knew it was coming it just happened and people weren't ready so a few died sure. Bad health, didnt treat it right away.

yes it spreads around very quickly...

we don't know how long it will be around. It doesn't seem to be killing anymore people..

I'd be worried if there were reports of people falling down and dieing randomly around the states..

but this is just a plot to get something bigger and worse..

possible experiment. who knows

i think people just need to calm down, goto the hospital and get treated..

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:11 AM
link   
You are all being had.

Let's think about this, Mexico has been on the verge of governmental collapse for months if not years. Other countries are having anti-government protests because of the economic situation. This is sensationalism by the media to scare the population of Mexico - as well as other countries and show that someone is in charge and you rely on them (the government with their health care services).

www.elpasotimes.com...
www.nj.com.../base/business-4/1240543266190490.xml&storylist=business

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:12 AM
link   

if people aren't dieing from this what is the big deal? If more people contract this flu, does it make it more likely to mutate into something else?
That a question I would like a answer to. Sincerely the mainstream media, isn't reporting jack on this really. I mean if this is just a mutated flu outbreak and no one is dieing or what not whats the big deal. I think its the cases in Mexico, that raise alarm, usually in your 20's or young teens or whatnot you DO not NEED to goto the Hospital for the flu. Unless these guys were just impoverished, ya know pilgrims or something. Anyhow I am learning, great thread...

Big deal - It's Spreading VERY FAST, faster than the "normal" flu

With influenza, each transmission generation EITHER gets stronger or weaker. We in the US - as far as we know - are in 1st generation transmission

WE DO NOT KNOW what generation of transmission is currently happening in Mexico

If this flu gets STRONGER with each transmission generation, and it is spreading this fast, there is a very real possibility that by the time we hear about deaths from it, we are all gonna be scroomed.

IF it strengthens and becomes fatal here, by the time we hear about it, it will be people already in the later stage of the flu, that means that EVERYONE after that generation is at risk

Do you understand?

link   
I have not read the entire thread, but in case anybody is interested I will post these two custom maps links. They are being updated frequently AFAIK.

The links:
maps.google.com
maps.google.com

I hope the people behind these maps keep it updated. This will help us keep track of the spread of influenza.

[edit on 27/4/2009 by MorfeuZ]

link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Its just really strange... I am watching this story unfold on the minute.. Its spreading all over Europe, but yes your right, only people dieing are in Mexico, which makes it even stranger..

I think this is mainly to do with health care quality and availability of vaccinations.

Its defiantly strange.. SARS was geographically more or less in ASIA. This is different, its global.. 108 people or more have already died in Mexico btw.. Thats about 15-20 a day, since its inception.

SARS was also a global problem.
en.wikipedia.org...

The point is.... it's all just media hype.
It WAS bird/avian flu.....that was gonna kill us all...

Now it's this....and people just buy it.

As i said....time will tell and we'll see.

But!... I thought DNA of Bird/Avian flu was a part of this new unique virus?

As I understand it, this is an combination and a mutation of Man, Swine and Birdflu.

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Chevalerous]

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hx3_1963

www.wgal.com...

[edit on 27-4-2009 by Adrifter]

This is why ~ this is a new strain, one which they do not know what kind if any immunity we have to it. Further it's cause for concern because the deaths that have occured are in the 20 - 45 age group. The last time that happened was in the 1918 Spanish Flu pandemic which killed 50 million people. Does that get your attention?

The 1918 flu came in 3 waves, don't need to discuss the 3rd because at the 2nd wave 50 mill already died, so not much to discuss there. BUT the 1st wave of that flu came on suddenly and made thousands of people sick BUT IT DID NOT KILL in the first wave. 6 months later it wiped out millions of people. THIS IS WHY the WHO is concerned not because you could be mildly sick but trying to determine based of past experience what may happen be it with this virus or another. Scientists say this will happen again just nobody knows when, so never say never.

posted on Apr, 27 2009 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by DDay

Thank you DDAy, thats what I was trying to figure out. Its strange because it has birdflu DNA in it, as well as MAN, and Swine, aka, pig. Its a hybrid.. Scary stuff, Ah listening to daddy Bama, right now, he is talking about it right now..

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join