It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Swine Flu news and updates thread

page: 108
<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Update

RodrigoMxSuspected cases of swine flu in Nueces County jumped from 5 to 20, according to Dr. William Burgin (Near Corpus, Texas)
2 minutes ago from TweetDeck

Texas is being hit hard apparently.

More Updates To Come.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Millions of Americans get the flu each year. Unless we start seeing an absurd death rate here there is really nothing to worry about. I do think the goverment is capitalizing on this though.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
Suspected = Someone getting the flu and going to the doctor. I'd guess that a tiny fraction of suspected cases as actual cases.

I'd rather just known cases are posted, instead of a post every time someone sneezes or coughs.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

WASHINGTON, April 28 (Reuters) - What's in a name? U.S. pork producers are finding that the name of the virus spreading from Mexico is affecting their business, prompting U.S. officials to argue for changing the name from swine flu.

At a news briefing, Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano and Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack took pains to repeatedly refer to the flu as the "H1N1 virus."

"This is not a food-borne illness, virus. It is not correct to refer to it as swine flu because really that's not what this is about," Vilsack said.

www.alertnet.org...

I noticed during the DHS briefing not once was the virus referred to as the "Swine Flu".

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Does anybody have any more info on these two kids that got swine flu in late March and if it relates to the current swine flu?

This rare virus has increased its virulence very rapidly since March 2009, when the first two cases that started this terrible epidemic/pandemic flu (the World Health Organization will determine within the next few hours the level of virulence) were detected in a 10-year-old boy in San Diego County and a 9-year-old girl in Imperial County in Southern California.
The CDC (Center for Disease Control and Prevention) has reported more cases since then in San Diego County and two more in the State of Texas, totaling at least well known cases. The eighth U.S. case is a child in the San Diego area, and was identified last Friday. It is said that of the eight patients, one is known to have traveled to Mexico City recently, the Wall Street Journal reported today. And that is how all this problem started in Mexico, City.

livingstrongandhappy.blogspot.com...

Federal, state and local health officials are investigating why two kids in California got infected with a new swine flu in late March without getting into contact with pigs or with each other.

The 10-year-old boy from San Diego County and the nine-year-old girl from neighboring Imperial County recovered from the H1N1 subtype of influenza A, which is rare in humans, and there are no indication the virus is spreading, U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC) officials said Tuesday.

www.vitabeat.com...

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
U.S. officials want 'swine' out of flu name

I noticed during the DHS briefing not once was the virus referred to as the "Swine Flu".

The lobbyists for the pork industry must be out in full force right now (and obviously getting their way.) Like the name really matters.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by parrallel

Yeah, it is a bit. I'm trying to suppress the fear thing and just get on with being practical with prepping but it's in my brain most of the day as it is for alot of us I guess. I feel very on edge to be honest. Feels like a Will Smith movie is about to screen for real

I've got loads of good masks but am reading they have a shelf life of 3 years , mine are 3-4 yrs and I don't know if they'll be any good...they look fine, what do you reckon ?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
In a wierd way,this "thing" is starting to lose me: if you care about someone,then you do everything you can to insure that person knows how you feel,that they are protected,and that they have what they need to be well within the best of your abilities,right?

Not a TON of conflicting stories,vauge-theories,and conjecture...it's all just getting to be WAY over the top and honestly,there are still no clear and defined facts or answers.

I'm calling foul...not saying that there isn't a virus going around but come on...give us something...treat us like we're valuable citizens (a reach,I know,LOL!) and at least make the situation easier to understand so choices can be made if need be.

Enough of the smokescreen and BS.Why should any of us have to scrounge around looking for tidbits so we can piece together something that's seemingl could be MAJOR event in our lives.

And what about this STUPID Flyover thing yesterday???:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What in the hell is going on.

Stinks if you ask me.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

if you cant afford any more i bet there still better than nothing. save your money for thing like water and food. just contain yourself if you can afford any masks. kide away from it and wait it out, if it turns bad that is.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
Suspected = Someone getting the flu and going to the doctor. I'd guess that a tiny fraction of suspected cases as actual cases.

I'd rather just known cases are posted, instead of a post every time someone sneezes or coughs.

Only, this isn't peak flu season. So that doesn't necessarily work to exclude swine flu as being the primary likelihood.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by cosmicpixie

I heard a lot of virologists say that a face mask doesnt protect at all. It may cut down the risk just a little bit, better is to just avoid crowds and sick people and wash your hands a lot. This is what the experts say.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My friends in the medical field (will give sources if need be,LOL!) have been telling me that actually GLOVES are the way to protect,the mask will keep you from spreading and possibly a virus getting in but more than likely,you will contract through the hands.
Boxes of gloves might be the ticket if it continues to spread.

[edit on 28-4-2009 by irishchic]

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:19 PM
link   
any news on deaths out side of mexico ???

thats when we need to worry.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:25 PM
link   
AP: Kansas Gov. Sebelius resigns after being confirmed as U.S. health and human services secretary.

From Twitter...what in the HELL is going on,LOL!

Most of the news still has her as "confirmed."

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by irishchic
AP: Kansas Gov. Sebelius resigns after being confirmed as U.S. health and human services secretary.

From Twitter...what in the HELL is going on,LOL!

Most of the news still has her as "confirmed."

In order to be the health sec she would have had to resign as Gov of Kansas. Can't be both as far as I know.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Let's all listen to this guy. His brain is large regarding this subject.

www.wpxi.com...

Very informative video.

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by xoxo stacie

As confirmed out of twitter like 5 mins ago, he has resigned.

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:30 PM
link   
reply to post by irishchic

Does it mean resigned from Health position or from Governor position?

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Update From WHO Website

Swine influenza - update 4
28 April 2009--The situation continues to evolve rapidly. As of 19:15 GMT, 28 April 2009, seven countries have officially reported cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. The United States Government has reported 64 laboratory confirmed human cases, with no deaths. Mexico has reported 26 confirmed human cases of infection including seven deaths.

The following countries have reported laboratory confirmed cases with no deaths - Canada (6), New Zealand (3), the United Kingdom (2), Israel (2) and Spain (2).

Further information on the situation will be available on the WHO website on a regular basis.

WHO advises no restriction of regular travel or closure of borders. It is considered prudent for people who are ill to delay international travel and for people developing symptoms following international travel to seek medical attention, in line with guidance from national authorities.

There is also no risk of infection from this virus from consumption of well-cooked pork and pork products. Individuals are advised to wash hands thoroughly with soap and water on a regular basis and should seek medical attention if they develop any symptoms of influenza-like illness.

Source

~Keeper

posted on Apr, 28 2009 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Twitter is going really slow. Are we bogging the servers down? lol :p

top topics

<< 105  106  107    109  110  111 >>

join