It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New flu with high mortality rate spreading in Mexico

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:25 AM
link   
school closings in southern mexico and more information

WHO concerned

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by sueloujo

So two years ago Canada recreated the flu virus and now Canada is saying beware of some mysterious flu virus. Can Canada say "Oops! Didn't mean to let the virus out and somehow let it end up in Mexico. Our bad."

[edit on 4/24/2009 by MsSmartypants]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I just got an update from RSOE EDIS.

There are 800 people infected.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Just heard on the Canadian news this morning that 66 people have died and 800 more are Ill. It seems to be so far that the southern/Central part of Mexico is affected, Which menas ALL tourists visiting the Mayan Riviera and Cancun have been exposed to this new mysterious illness. IT HAS BEGUN!!!!!! This will probably be the Pandemic to which "they" can launch their plans of lockdown in the U.S. There have now been reported cases of Swine Flu in Humans in California and Texas. It won't be long before they are somehow linked to what is going on in Mexico, and It will probably be blamed on "you-know-who" as a bio-terrorist attack. I'm glad I live in Canada right now. WE have a bit of a fighting chance If this Pandemic spreads here with our health care system the way it is............

kix

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
More info:

The principal news paper has a photo of the strain in the cover.

They say its a new strain that has swine, aviar and human parts, completely different to what they have seen (I guess they mean the USA and CANADA authorities).

They are investigating another possible 943 cases.

3 cases were identified in Texas and another 3 in California since last Tuesday. They havent identified where the original hotspot is.

The simptoms for this disease are:

Starts with a very sore throat.
Headache is very intense
Runny nose and muscular pain all over.

ALL HIS VERY INTENSE. with coughs.

They say you got this in a rapid and intense way GO TO THE ER.

Ill keep you posted if they give more info.

BTW they still dont know the form of transmission so they era telling us to avoid ALL PUBLIC PLACES.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Great....it's the end of "Fiesta" in San Antonio,literally a 100K or more will be cluster-f-ed together today and tomorrow to watch the various "parades"...many come up from Mexico for the events and festivites as well.
I live west of San An but am predicting that we WILL see many more cases in South Texas in the coming days.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 08:56 AM
link   
A new article posted on CBC.

Link: www.cbc.ca...

WHO voices 'heightened concern' over 800 flu-like cases in Mexico

"Because these cases are not happening in the very old or the very young, which is normal with seasonal influenza, this is an unusual event and a cause for heightened concern," Hartl said in an interview from WHO headquarters in Geneva.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:02 AM
link   
I'm reading reports that state around 60 people have died of this so far but I can't seem to find out over WHAT TIME PERIOD this has happened...ie have 60 people died in the last couple of days, couple of months....which is it ?

People outside of the USA and Canada should also be mindful that it takes one infected person on a plane returning home to the UK or wherever to start the ball rolling elsewhere . I for one will be keeping close tabs on this in the next few days and cosidering a big supply run at the supermarkets "just in case".

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Mexico flu deaths caused by swine flu - minister

MEXICO CITY, April 24 (Reuters) - An outbreak of flu deaths in Mexico in recent days was caused by swine flu, Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said on Friday.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," he told the Televisa network. (Reporting by Migel Angel Gutierrez)

www.alertnet.org...

It appears the 60 deaths occurred in the last few days along with over 800 cases being reported.

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Its apparently already spread into the US.

Fatal swine flu breaks out in Mexico

U.S. health officials said on Thursday that seven people had been diagnosed with a new and unusual H1N1 swine flu virus, different from seasonal flu, but all had recovered.

www.alertnet.org...

The UN has also activated its Strategic Health Operations Center.

Some info on SHOC:

The SHOC is the nerve centre of WHO's global epidemic response providing a single point of coordination for response to acute public health crises including infectious disease outbreaks, natural disasters and chemical emergencies.

www.who.int...

edit add SHOC info

[edit on 24/4/09 by MikeboydUS]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Just had a thought about a few previous threads regarding the "vacation and resort" areas of Mexico:
It's recently been "Spring Break" for many and these places would also have probably had a higher rate of tourists in the areas as well.
Coincidence?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Most of us know Mexico and the difference between it and the more northerly parts of the US. Significantly warmer climate, much poorer fresh water distribution, compromised hygiene. greater crowding in urban centres, etc.

Is it possible the numbers are higher due to these factors?

Arguing against myself, Mexicans on the whole have built up greater immunities due to constant exposure to a wide range of illness causing viruses and germs.

And arguing against that, their immune systems might be weaker on average due to constant bombardment of the same.

Any thoughts on this?

Mike

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
Mexico flu deaths caused by swine flu - minister

MEXICO CITY, April 24 (Reuters) - An outbreak of flu deaths in Mexico in recent days was caused by swine flu, Health Minister Jose Angel Cordova said on Friday.

"It is a virus that mutated from pigs and then at some point was transmitted to humans," he told the Televisa network. (Reporting by Migel Angel Gutierrez)

www.alertnet.org...

It appears the 60 deaths occurred in the last few days along with over 800 cases being reported.

Got bamboo, Michelito?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
About 2 years ago I was paranoid about bird flu and bought loads of supplies and joined a few website forums dedicated to the issue. Haven't been on any of the sites for over a year now and today actually got an email off one of them that seems to be going out to anyone who ever registered with them. In 2 years they've NEVER sent me and email before. It's obviously an issue cauasing some real alram bells to go off.

The site in question is Avian Flu Talk and it's the internets most visited site on the topic I think , they cover all the other viruses going on and it's very comprehensive for news, discussion and info .

Here's the email they sent me :

Greetings again all,

It's time for another pseudo warning for you. As most of you are aware by now, over the last few days a handful of swine flu cases have popped up in Southern California and in Texas. There are seven confirmed cases, one of which required hospitalization. The WHO has confirmed that this is a "new" swine flu strain that is spreading by human-to-human transmission.

The WHO has also confirmed that there is a swine flu outbreak underway in Mexico, which has killed 60 people out of 800 cases resulting in a rather high fatality rate.

The WHO is currently matching the swine flu samples in Mexico with the U.S. cases to see if the strains match. If they do match, then it "could" mean the next pandemic is beginning.

For anyone interested in following the latest developments, you can click on the following link to visit the Latest News section.

www.avianflutalk.com...

Best wishes to all,
Albert

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I just posted this on the other flu thread too.

"GENEVA (Reuters) - The World Health Organization said on Friday that it was convening an emergency committee to advise whether outbreaks of swine flu in the United States and Mexico constituted an international public health threat.

"WHO will convene, sometime in the very near future, an emergency committee under the International Health Regulations, which will consider whether or not this event constitutes a public health event of international concern," WHO spokesman Gregory Hartl told Reuters in Geneva.

Hartl also said that 12 of 18 samples taken from victims in Mexico showed the virus had a genetic structure identical to that of the virus found in California. But more epidemiological information was needed before any change to the WHO's pandemic alert level, currently at '3' on a scale of 1 to 6."

source

A few hours ago articles were suggesting it was very bad news if the viruses in Mexico and the other places effected were the same and this suggests that they most very likely are...can anyone confirm this from other sources?

[edit on 24/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
Ok I have a Question

Why are they vaccinating in Mexico? 04/24/2009 UPDATE:
There is no vaccine, but doctors say some newer medications like Tamiflu have been effective so far.
www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
And for those of us in Wales, UK, what ODD timing :

South Wales Services Practicing For Flue Epidemic

First i've heard about anything like this taking place where I live

Scotland are doing it too all of a sudden :

source

And Alabama :

source

Stuff going on in Hampshire too, part of England I believe:

source

There must be other stuff going on elsewhere too, is this all a coincidence ?!

[edit on 24/4/09 by cosmicpixie]

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Funny you should say that I just got off the phone with a friend of mine here in Mexico that works at the Technical Institute that his brother who is a doctor just was here in town vaccinating people. What the heck is going on?

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jamiros

This is really concerning me....why and what with are they vaccinating people if the media says there is no vaccine available? What are they doing???

I repeat my Question

Why are they vaccinating in Mexico? 04/24/2009 UPDATE:
There is no vaccine, but doctors say some newer medications like Tamiflu have been effective so far.

Link to the statement in maintream media with report that there is no vaccine! www.msnbc.msn.com...

posted on Apr, 24 2009 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Things are a little weird I must admit, I know a bunch of us are searching around and doing a great job networking the information on here! its amazing, It seems as per a previous post, 12 of 18 samples confirm it is the same virus in both Mexico and California.

Now there is a man in Ottawa too( who came from Mexico), plus with all the "exercises" going on this week coming....Its just so much at once, all over, kind of like how the economy tanked worldwide.

I'm going to stay on alert, keep my cool, and wait for more confirmations, though 12-18 confirm the same virus does bother me......ALOT!

I'm going to review my inventory tonight, I guess the best bet would be to camp out deep in the woods if TSHTF

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join