It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why host Fictional stories on ATS, instead of BTS?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

I find it extremely musing how all the Writers seem to be at a

loss for words.

To answer my question

What is the difference between Coll Writing , And Sceince Fiction @ Fantasy

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seany

Coll. Writing is a restricted forum. "Writers" only. Same as the Debate Forum.

Edit: SF and Fantasy is also a pretty narrow topic.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Thank you

Did not know that

So I could not , if desired , particapate in that forum

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Collaborative writing is for member generated works of literary fiction in a collaborative setting.

SciFi/Fantasy forum is for the discussion of third party works of fiction in any form (tv, books, etc.) and general scifi/fantasy discussion.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

So I could not , if desired , particapate in that forum

Not until you were granted "writer" status.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:10 PM
link   

We getting somewhere finally

so if I wrote a Sci-Fi piece , it wouldn't be in the Sci-Fi sec
but in Coll Writing ?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

How do you attain Writer's status, if you cant particapate in the coll writing section ?

link   

I agree that flexibility is a good thing.

On BTS I see forums dedicated to 'Fantasy and Fiction', 'Literature', and 'Member Art'. 'Collaborative Writing' fits in nicely there, and seems odd when placed next to 'Breaking Alternative News', 'Military and Government Projects,' and the 'Global Meltdown' forums.

Given the uproar from emotional writers, I think you are right that there will be no correction to a more appropriate context indexing. That does not mean that the idea does not have merit. It just means that a personal choice was made over a logical one.

link   

so if I wrote a Sci-Fi piece , it wouldn't be in the Sci-Fi sec
but in Coll Writing ?

That is almost correct, it would go into the "member short stories" forum.

All you would have to do is notify one of the forum mods, tell them that you have written the story, and they will grant you "writer" status to post in that forum.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:14 PM
link   

How do you attain Writer's status, if you cant particapate in the coll writing section ?

While any super or Admin can give the status, the forum is run by masqua, worldwatcher and myself to a lesser degree.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

If you wrote an original piece that could be considered scifi then it would go in collab writing. If you want to discuss an published scifi topic you would discuss it in the scifi section of BTS

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I am still curious as to WHY putting Collaborative Writing in with the other creative forums on BTS is a bad idea? Is that a slight to Member Art, Literature, and the other forums on BTS? It seems to me that Literature, and member created works of fiction, should be next to each other. Or am I missing something?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Last Question I promise

Horse/cart thing

Would I write the piece first, then inform a mod, or vice-versa

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Given the uproar from emotional writers, I think you are right that there will be no correction to a more appropriate context indexing. That does not mean that the idea does not have merit. It just means that a personal choice was made over a logical one.

I don't think I got emotional until my fellow staffers were slandered. As to the forum I guess it's a matter of perspective. There are a few of our very active forums that I would consider fiction. No prob though. Different cups of tea for everyone.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Given the uproar from emotional writers, I think you are right that there will be no correction to a more appropriate context indexing.

Tis true that writers are an emotional lot, (have you met Cadbury?
), but that's in part what makes them great writers.

They however have no control as to where their forum is located, so it's a little unfair to infer causality between their reaction to this thread and any staff action/inaction in this regard.

That does not mean that the idea does not have merit. It just means that a personal choice was made over a logical one.

The idea is not without merit, but once more in fairness it doesn't mean that inaction to that which you propose is based on emotion rather than logic.

As I said before, from a member's point of view what you propose is surely based on logic, however we do not have knowledge of all the variables considered by staff when this decision was taken. It is not only probable, but almost certain that the decision to place any forum within the ATS/BTS board was a rational one based on logic and not emotion.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Sorry Intrepid, I was not referring to you. Your comments have been right on spot, even if I disagree. I was referring to earlier postings where I was all but lynched for trying to kill of artists, even if it wasn't true.

OK for the other side of the coin.... why not move Literature and Member Art over to ATS to sit along side Member Short Stories and Collaborative writing? It seems to me that breaking that up is counter intuitive.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Would I write the piece first, then inform a mod, or vice-versa

Doesn't really matter. But you would have to know that most of the T&C applies to this forum as well:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

You do not need writer status to write in member short stories. If you only want to write stories for people to read and comment on that is the venue for you. I think it will be easier to gain writer status if you post a story there first other than just asking for writer status.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

My guess is the choice was made without looking at BTS at the time. It seems like a logical fit, but if you are looking at ATS when the forum was created, you might have missed the connection.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:26 PM
link   

OK for the other side of the coin.... why not move Literature and Member Art over to ATS to sit along side Member Short Stories and Collaborative writing? It seems to me that breaking that up is counter intuitive.

I don't see the need to have them all in one place. It covers both forums this way. Like CiR on ATS and Faith on BTS.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join