It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why host Fictional stories on ATS, instead of BTS?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

It could be something to think about.

I believe I read where a returning member had stated when he came

back he was pleased to see a NEW Survival Forum.

So ATS is a growing entity that does redefine occasionally

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I guess what is being discussed here is actually not the topic in the OP.

My sense of what Terapin and others are making a case for is for more rigid adherence to ATS/BTS thread indexing. It seems that the writing forums are more of a vehicle to highlight that position.

Once again there is something to that argument. This is often brought up when threads are moved from ATS to BTS as there seems to be some degree of overlap.

Having said that ATS staff has chosen to set things up as they are at the present moment. I'm sure where forums are located is a considered decision involving more factors that the ones we might be aware of and considered on this thread. But there's nothing wrong with questioning policy and suggesting alternative solutions if one feels strongly about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Terapin

Using your library analogy, it appears emotionally important to you that they be housed in an entirely different building.

Not another building at all. Just one click away in the BTS section, much in like traditional libraries. Perhaps you could discuss why Collaborative Writing belongs on ATS, a conspiracy and alternative new site, and not on BTS a more creative venue.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I guess my thought is... why change what is working.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Very well said

Maybe if you can explain the difference to me between Coll Writing

and Fantasy@ Science Fiction , or Literature, that could appease me somewhat

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:17 PM
link   

YES everything that isnt about DENY IGNORANCE needs to be in bts. Your silly games and freshman forums should be in BTS. How are games ABOVE TOP SECRET? You fail to see the logic in what ABOVE TOP SECRET should contain? It just seems like the logic is so obvious... isnt it?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by schrodingers dog
I guess what is being discussed here is actually not the topic in the OP.

It is exactly the topic of my OP.

In my first paragraph I stated:
"Perhaps it would be more appropriate to move Collaborative Writing to Below Top Secret. "

I fail to understand what is so controversial about that. It would still be hosted on the ATS Network. It would still be only one click away, and it would still foster a creative venue, only in an area more properly indexed for such material. It might even find more visitors once it is in a context appropriate venue.

This not about putting an end to creativity. It is about putting artists in a gallery, not about removing them from society.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
YES everything that isnt about DENY IGNORANCE needs to be in bts. Your silly games and freshman forums should be in BTS. How are games ABOVE TOP SECRET? You fail to see the logic in what ABOVE TOP SECRET should contain? It just seems like the logic is so obvious... isnt it?

The Freshmans Forum? Where new members go for assistance? The Debate Forum? Highly civilized debate. The rest of the board should try to emulate what goes on in this forum. The Games? Have you even participated, hell, even read one of them?

There's an axiom, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

I agree that the freshman forums and Debate forums should stay put. New arrivals need the freshman forums to find their way around the library. Just about every thread on ATS involves debate.

Collaborative writing is a bit different and is much more closely aligned with BTS as others have pointed out.

If we stick to the concept of "if it aint broke, don't fix it' then we would never move forward nor have innovations that make life better. How many things in life do we have simply because someone though of a better way to do things. The Internet is one of those things created when someone though about a better way to communicate over distance.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Terapin, may I respectfully ask why this seems to be a big issue for you?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   

They can go to BTS to learn how to post vids. Is that terribly illogical? The debate forum is good.... it certianly isnt collabrative writing... do you see the differance?

Im sure that litte quote of yours is the bread and butter of tyrants everywhere. Obviously ANYONE who suggests anything other than the current functioning of things must be wrong. That why so many germans went along with killing the jews. If its working according to hitler why mess with it?

Its a extreme connection but your silly quote has no place in todays world.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Its a extreme connection but your silly quote has no place in todays world.

And I might add that your analogy and attitude have no place on this either. I take exception to your calling of the staff Nazi's.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:44 PM
link   

It is very unfortunate that your little quote follows a very effective strategy to get those who desent shamed by others into agreeing. Nazis may have used these tactics as well. It is up to you now to choose to follow those tactics that have been used by tyrants in the past or not.

Just because somone can box like mike tyson doesnt mean hes gonna bite somone ear off or threaten to eat their children. Unless of course.... you do want to eat my children.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Wertdagf

Im not shamed into anything, but I can see that the Wagons are

being circled here, And "the old boys network" is gonna succeed here

as it does in society

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

That why so many germans went along with killing the jews. If its working according to hitler why mess with it?

And there goes your credibility.

There are more things wrong with you metaphor that the are characters available in this post for me to enumerate them.

The upshot for you is that one can depart this "concentration camp" at will.

Trust me, no one will stop you.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

It is very unfortunate that your little quote follows a very effective strategy to get those who desent shamed by others into agreeing. Nazis may have used these tactics as well. It is up to you now to choose to follow those tactics that have been used by tyrants in the past or not.

No, I was adding my thoughts on the topic. No strategy on my part. Others have their own opinions.

Let me have an analogy of my own. There are those that need to cause dissent. And they do that by setting others up for ridicule. That being the volunteer staff in this case. Get my point?

Edit: Removed useless point.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by intrepid]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

I thought it was a simple issue of content indexing. What I got back was an emotional attack by several writers who thought I was trying to deny them an outlet for their creativity, which is totally untrue.

This should be a fairly simple issue. No one goes to the reference section in a library for comic books. No one goes to the book store Science Fiction section for cook books. If you are looking to fix your car, you do not go to the greeting card section of your corner store looking for a service manual. I am unsure why some seem so against placing Collaborative Writing in a section specifically set up for like minded entertainment content. There is a Fantasy and Fiction section on BTS, which is exactly what Collaborative Writing is after all.

Why the big push back against correct context indexing? What is so wrong with placing Collaborative Writing on BTS? Thus far no one seems to be willing to address that.

( Now someone will probably take issue with my post and try to imply that I equate collaborative writing with greeting cards.)

[edit on 29/3/09 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Ive been following your point all along

Just a explanation between Science Fiction@ Fantasy ,and Coll Writing

would suffice

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Oh god, now someone has brought up Hitler and the Nazis???? Cant we have a logical discussion without resorting to mindless attacks?

For the record. I appreciate all of the Moderators, even those who disagree with me.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin

I thought it was a simple issue of content indexing.

Oh ok, that's why I said:

My sense of what Terapin and others are making a case for is for more rigid adherence to ATS/BTS thread indexing. It seems that the writing forums are more of a vehicle to highlight that position.

I'm not sure why you disagreed with me on that.

At any rate, it seems that the point has now been made I would think, and there is something to be said for your position. I just don't think ATS/BTS forum and thread indexing is meant to be as rigid as you propose. It is intentionally elastic to allow for interpretational latitude which imho for the most part makes for a better user experience. Thus I'm not sure you will get the remedy you desire.

[edit on 29 Mar 2009 by schrodingers dog]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join