It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why host Fictional stories on ATS, instead of BTS?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Thank you for changing the title of your thread...

That is where the problem began with all of us that are doing a collaborative writing project right now (see my signature).

My complaint was the fact your title... had said "Why ATS allowed known Falsehoods to be posted" or something of that sort.

You then had the whole collaborative writing and specifically "The Penelope" referenced.

You had misconstrued my words in an earlier posting I did.

My complaint was the fact you lumped the two together. Now that you have clarified and expressing your opinon on Collaborative writing being in the main ATS board compared to the BTS board, is an opinon you have a right to share, if you so desire.

But please understand, what it looked like from writers and our point of view, your title said one thing and your OP referred to our project in with the title.

So, good job on changing the title - which now matches your OP and does not infer our project is deliberate "falsehoods" on ATS.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
LOL intrepid, that brings us back to my initial point. ATS is for Conspiracies, such as CiR. BTS is for content other than conspiracies such as Faith. One can argue that the Bible could be placed in the historical section of a library perhaps, but it is difficult to convince a Scientologists that the teachings of L' Ron Hubbard belong next to his works of Science Fiction.

I guess the ATS network is happy with a mixed up Library, even if it may make it harder to find the book you are looking for.

In all truth, Is suspect that the Writers are concerned that BTS may have less viewing members, and don't wish to be separated from the Conspiracy topics that drive the numbers on ATS. They would rather be on FOX than relegated to your local access cable show.

I would like to add, for those whom may feel that I don't care about fiction, that I have indeed read a good deal of the Penelope/ Yydryl tales, and find some of it good, and other parts, well shat we say, silly, but in general I have nothing against CW in principle. Some may note that in my sig, I have a quote from a well known author of fiction. The real person behind Hal Clement was a personal friend of mine and a great teacher. Good fiction is great and does add value to our lives. I simply prefer a tidy library with proper indexes. Why have indexes if you are not going to use them?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   
As a writer, and one who participates in the Voyages of the Penelope I will throw down my opinions here.

A.) Why do you want it moved? This has been asked many times to you OP and other than content indexing you have yet to answer it. Content indexing is fine and all but why do you care? Not to mention it's down near the bottom of the list of boards and out of eye-sight for most. What's your reason for noticing this and making a point of making a thread about it? Does this really seem like it's important to you? I'm curious as to why it struck a chord is all.

B.) I like it where it is. I use ATS almost exclusively. It's easier for me to click on MyATS and see the updates then have to flip flop. This is a personal, selfish reason but most of the writers there are frequenters of ATS and I'm sure they share this sentiment to one degree or another. Just my opinion.

C.) Many of the threads on ATS are a poster contributing a theory, an idea, a proposterous over-the-top experience, or something to that effect. This site is about discussing ideas and opinions, while also keeping up to date with politics and conspiracy theories. In my personal writings you will find allusions to current events and my feelings on those. Is this any different to your opinion on the governmental systems or UFOs? I express myself better through writing poetry and stories and I put my prose away on the boards of Coll. and Short Stories as that's where my posts fit. I'd say that's content indexing no?

I'm not trying to attack but your single reason of content indexing has not convinced me and seeing as how site Moderators are telling you not to worry about it I'm curious why you're being persistent. It works for us, you don't like it then don't go there... there are dozens of other boards for you to browse. The site administration has put it there, you've raised your concerns and have been told by numerous posters they do not share your sentiment. Your initial approach was abrasive, as were those of the people who supported your idea. Unnecessarily abrasive. Of course we're going to nitpick your words, we're writers... words are what we do

ATS is for the people, as the site's admin has made clear on multiple occasions. The Coll. Writing section is the writer's domain and we all like it where it is, the admins can move it if they see fit but I don't think moving one forum board is going to reshape the means of communicating over long distances....

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Originally posted by Terapin
Edited: Title changed to appease those against the idea.

You really do have a knack for word selection.

"Appease"? "Against"?

So let me get this straight.... Since we have disposed of the silly notion that people might actually get confused between fact or fiction because of collaborative writing threads, all you really care about is not having to see them in the "Recent Posts" screen?

That's a mighty substantive concern there.

Obsess much?

Seriously.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

I am well aware that you are involved in the Penelopy story and your emotional connection to it was made obvious by your response to me. You chose to make your own assumptions that were contrary to my post. Rather than discuss the merits of placing CW along with Literature, and Member Art, you chose to react by attacking my thread title. A sculptor of words should understand the difference.

One will often see mixed media in the same gallery of art. Light, sound, and form all balanced together. Member Art, Literature, and Collaborative Writing could benefit from a closer association on BTS.
This is something that the Writers among us seem reluctant to discuss.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 02:52 PM
link   

and find some of it good, and other parts, well shat we say, silly, but in general I have nothing against CW in principle.

Shat?

Are you being *silly* and sneaking around the censor there breaking ATS rules?

Or is using *shat* your creative license at work?

Or maybe a type error and you meant *shall*?

Can't help but wonder if you ever read the Aesop’s Fable about the Fox and the Grapes?

Sour Grapes

peace

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Ok, this is my last post here and I won't bother coming back, but you are not reading the whole posting or understanding how misleading your thread was.

I have no problem with your ranting (which should be in BTS - rants) about Collaborative writing being on ATS....

that is your opinion, and we all have a right to our opinions.....

BUT you say I latched onto the title... Yes I did... you had a very provacative title in the beginning.

So, if I did a Thread titled:

"A UFO is landing today"

But in the OP, I then start writing about my opinon on something entirely different...... then it would be correct for me to get slammed..... by those who see the difference.

So, as I said, I won't bother coming back - due to the lack of understanding of what a title states and what the OP states.... thus the two are together.

Have a good day...... ta ta.....

don't worry, won't come back, nor bother reading any more postings here.

I said what I needed to say, and that is all.........................

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

woops, I did indeed mean "Shall"
I have no need to obfuscate my words.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Personally, I partially agree. Fictional stories are fictional. But I think that if they have some connection to a topic on ATS, put them on ATS.

If they aren't conspiracy-related, if they are stories for the sake of stories, put them on BTS.

Being on BTS isn't a bad thing, you know.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by questioningall

Typical. You chose not to read my title for the words, but instead brought your own prejudices to bear. I stated Deliberate Fiction and that what Collaborative Writing is. ATS is promoted as a site for the uncovering of Conspiracies and Alternative news, while BTS is for more creative concepts and a freer form of internet interaction. It is that simple.

It seems the writers choose to attack rather than to discuss the merits or lack there of, of placing artistic content together. This is not a rant and is in the correct forum, Board Business. To cry about it then run away does nothing.

On ATS the majority of the threads are Conspiracy or Breaking Alternative News related. Some are quite speculative, but based on the facts as the OP sees them. CW on the other hand is entirely fictional by design, and much more related to Member Art than any conspiracy. Its sole purpose is to create a work of Fiction, while in the Conspiracy and Alt. News threads the idea is to divine the truth of a given set of 'facts'.

Contrary to what has been stated, I am not the only individual that thinks content is important. The Vast majority of members on ATS are here for Alternative News (#1)and General Conspiracy(#4) related topics. Collaborative Writing(#67) is way down the bottom, well below even Member Art(#47). (source ATS stats) New members who discover ATS, do so because of the alternative topics here. Google "Alternative News" and you will get an ATS response on the very first page. Google "Collaborative Writing" and you will see Slashdot long before you come across ATS, if ever.

Why is it that there is such a push against placing artistic related forums together? It cant be because of a simple click now can it?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
It may be the fact that ATS is the more serious of the two sites. With BTS being more lighthearted I would fear someone adding something that doesn't really belong int the story.
With ATS being the more serious you don't worry as much about someone adding something to your original thought that doesn't flow.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

My understanding is that even if it was on BTS, CW is for selected writers only. You would not get any more random postings there than anywhere else. Only those with a desire to interact can even post in those threads so there would be little reason to suspect that there would be any increase in trolling. Take a look at the good work in Member Art sometime and see if there is a problem with trolling in there.

One stands a much higher chance of unwanted content in the general conspiracy forums simply because anyone can post in them.

If done well, you could even get participants in Member Art to collaborate and create illustrations for the Collaborative Writings. Now thats a thought worth following up on.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

If done well, you could even get participants in Member Art to collaborate and create illustrations for the Collaborative Writings. Now thats a thought worth following up on.

It certainly is. DAMN good idea imo.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:50 PM
link   

reply to post by Ant4AU

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
You see, there is a REASON why artists need to be in contact with each other. It promotes the creative juices so to speak. Yet for some reason Writers wish to remain apart, and isolated??? Had you been neighbors with your fellow artists you might have seen that valuable connection long ago.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

On ATS the majority of the threads are Conspiracy or Breaking Alternative News related. Some are quite speculative, but based on the facts as the OP sees them.

Why is it that there is such a push against placing artistic related forums together? It cant be because of a simple click now can it?

There is SO much to look at on ATS that it took me some time to get to the creative forums. Especially in the realm of Poetry, there are some excellent poems related to conspiracy, news, science, spirituality..all of the main forums in ATS are represented. Why take something so relavent out of ATS when it's simply a manner in which the theories are expressed in an alternate word form. Not a paragraph on a subject but a stanza.

My theory on why this has bothered the OP, he's tired of seeing Voyages everytime he clicks 'recent posts.' Words I myself live by on ATS are: If you don't like it, don't click it.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loam

Loam, you are an interesting sort. You stated quite clearly right away, that you don't care where CW is placed, yet you keep coming back to attack my posts.

Appease: To bring a stare of peace or calm. To be Conciliatory.
Against: Contrary to, Opposed to.

Yes indeed those words were appropriate, and that is why I used them. I stated 'Deliberate Fiction', and one poster referred to it as "known Falsehood" there is a difference between the two both linguistically and semantically.
Falsehood: an untrue statement, a lie.
Fiction: something invented by the imagination. My description of posting Fiction is quite different than the suggestion of posting a known falsehood. I changed the title in hopes people would discuss the topic, and not simply bash the post as you seem to keep doing.

Some oppose the idea without discussing it. One poster did not wish to make the single additional click to get to BTS, despite the fact that other member Art is held there.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Whisper67
My theory on why this has bothered the OP, he's tired of seeing Voyages everytime he clicks 'recent posts.'

That does appear to be the entirety of his complaint.

If not, I'm failing to understand what his additional concerns are.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Whisper67

I have read a fair amount of the Penelopy voyage tale, enjoyed some of it, and have no issue with any creative writing endeavors. Why is it that Member Art is separated from Member Creative Fiction? They are a natural pair.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Terapin, I believe that you have made your opinion clear.

What is the worth of belaboring the point?

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join