It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why host Fictional stories on ATS, instead of BTS?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
I chose to use "Deliberate False Stories" because there is indeed a problem with Hoaxes on ATS. It is fairly clear than no one will mistake "collaborative writing" for any attempt at truth, when it is in the forum title.

Content appropriate locations are part of the ATS board, and I was simply making a query about that.

Logic before emotion.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Originally posted by Terapin
I chose to use "Deliberate False Stories" because there is indeed a problem with Hoaxes on ATS. It is fairly clear than no one will mistake "collaborative writing" for any attempt at truth, when it is in the forum title.

You do realize you just contradicted your rationale in those two sentences?

Logic before emotion.

Oh, if that is all this is, I guess I should go and brush up on the concepts.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Then why did you lump the two together?

You inferred that deliberate false stories and collaborative writing were almost one and the same.

That is why you are getting these postings from us.

Again, your heading says one thing and your OP says another by including collaborative writing and specifically the Penelope story as part as the falsehood purposely posted on ATS.

Rework your title and some of your OP without referring to collaborative writing as being part of deliberate "falsehood" threads and postings, then you would not get the kind of flack you are getting by lumping the two together.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
The writers have made a knee jerk reaction to a simple query and have reacted with emotion. Antar thought I was trying to abolish Collaborative writing. I made it very clear in my first paragraph of my OP that I was not asking to do that, yet it was ignored.

The point is to place fictional works where it belongs, BTS. Hoaxes are shut down when encountered and it seems illogical to host fictional writing on ATS alongside serious discussions, when ATS has specifically set up BTS for such fictional content.

I make a query and get bashed for it. Emotional responses seem to be the oder of the day. No point in my responding any more to those who wish to pick apart my words rather than discuss board policy.

[edit on 29/3/09 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by questioningall
reply to post by Terapin

You inferred that deliberate false stories and collaborative writing were almost one and the same.

No. I pointed out that Fiction is not appropriate content on ATS and belongs on BTS according to my understanding of the stated purpose of the site. You chose to make an emotional connection as though I was denigrating collaborative writing. I specifically stated that I was NOT against collaborative writing in my OP. If you failed to see that, and instead chose to make assumptions, it is your doing, not mine.

I am a bit surprised that "writers" choose to read only with their emotions and not with their eyes.

Please, lets discuss the concept and end the knee jerk responses.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Uh....hum? Why don't you just ignore those boards. You obviously have something against them so why do you even go to them.
Why complain when all you have to do is ignore them.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I'm thinking the majority of the members and visitors can read. Therefore, before they even open the thread, they will know they will be reading a collaborative piece of fiction.

While I'm not into fiction, and I agree with the ills of fictionalized what should be taken seriously (The Davinci Code, as one prime example), the decision to not indulge is left to the reader.

[edit on 3-29-2009 by Valhall]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Ok, so if I understand you correctly, you want the "Member Short Stories" and "Collaborative Writing" forums moved to BTS because of their "fictional" premise.

It is on the surface logical.

However I think you are missing the greater picture. What most of us here do on ATS is in essence exchange ideas and thoughts. We think things through, use logic, creative thinking, and indeed imagination. We are as members in essence all collaborative writers. Yes in some cases "facts" happen to infiltrate our discussions
but they are in fact believe it or not peripheral to the board dynamics. They are a mere starting point which we use to consider all possibilities.

Thus fictional writing is not as far from ordinary ATS activities as you might first believe. Every post is it's own short story and every thread is in essence collaborative writing.

This is just my opinion of course. Though I have "writer" status I am not that active in that forum so it's not really about defending my turf so to speak.

I just find that the writing forums are complimentary to the other ATS forums and a great way for members to interact with each other.

Edit cause I can't write properly.

[edit on 29 Mar 2009 by schrodingers dog]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
This is one of the reasons I was so hesitant to even participate in the collaborative writing.

I’m so sick and tired of the nit picking and griping and the idiotic back biting trash that goes on when a bunch of adults are gathered in one spot I could puke.

If you don’t like the collaborative writing, if it’s not bothering you or yours, if it doesn’t cost you anything, if it doesn’t make your eyes bleed when you open up ATS, then why not just leave it alone?

People complain about how nothing in the world is left without someone coming along to spoil it - and I’m beginning to agree.
People can’t just leave well enough alone!

Newspapers have advice columns, funny pages, the weather and horoscope and more - right along side of breaking news.
Big deal.

There was a time people would applaud something like the Collaboration, even if they didn’t read it.
Now?
People just don’t care about anything if they’re not tearing it down, especially when it’s something good!

I'm out (of this thread).

Thanks for trying to ruin something good.

peace

EDIT: I've been receiving U2U's from people concerned *I'm Out* means I am leaving the Space Opera.
No, *I'm Out* means I'll leave this thread before breaking ATS rules.

The nay sayers opinions of the Space Opera mean SQUAT to me.
I would never allow negative opinions to dictate my participation on ATS.
I live in the freedom of not caring what you think.
Don't like what I write, put me on ignore.

peace

[edit on 29-3-2009 by silo13]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
It is a simple query. Should the fictional works of Collaborative Writing be placed with all the other Entertainment content on BTS, or is there a reason it merits being kept on the Conspiracy related ATS?

I ask that and what do I get from the Writers?
Antar states: "I find this kind of difficult to understand, would you prefer we keep to the serious nature of the site and get rid of the poetry, the shortstories and collaborate forums?" When I said no such thing. If you look, you will see that I specifically supported Fictional writing in the appropriate areas. She then goes on in another post to claim that I am "Ranting" and not asking a question about board content.

Loam starts by stating that 90% of ATS is BS and then said he doesn't care where Collaborative writing is placed. He follows that by trying to pick apart my words rather than discuss the subject.

Questiongail reads "implications" that I clearly not only did not make, but very specifically countered in my OP. She chooses to discuss her interpretations of my wording, rather than the subject.

Ant4AU states that I have " something against" collaborative writing when I clearly stated in my very first sentence that Collaborative Writing is fine, and again in other posts I encourage member creativity.

Edited to add: Silo goes of on a rant how I am destroying something good, without reading my post apparently. I am destroying nothing. I am not even suggesting that fictional writing is a bad thing.

Schrodingers Dog is the only writer thus far that has responded to my query with his thinking on why Collaborative writing is good for ATS.
I happen to disagree, but I support his right to an opinion and appreciate his well thought out response. Something I expected from more Writers.

Below Top Secret is the Entertainment portal of the ATS Network. Fictional writing is indeed entertainment. It is sometimes even good fiction and deserves it's own special spot. I simply feel that there is a difference between ATS and BTS as far as content goes, and this seems to be supported by the stated purpose of the ATS network. That is the crux of the matter. I believe we all have seen threads moved over to BTS when the content was not Conspiracy, or Alternative news related. It doesn't mean that the subject does not have merit. It simply places the content in an area that is more appropriate to the subject and thus makes it easier to find.

In a library they generally do not place books on Science, History, and Reference, in the Fictional Novels section. That does not mean that one work is any better than the other. It is just content appropriate indexing. That is why there is ATS and BTS after all. The site owners chose to create different areas, for different types of content, for a specific reason.

[edit on 29/3/09 by Terapin]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

I dont see how writing in the BTS section would affect the quality

of the writing . Its a more Freespeak forum where opinions and

yes, rantings are welcomed .

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

I agree. Moving Collaborative Writing to BTS would have no impact on the content created there in. It would only place it in the correct index.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Below Top Secret is the Entertainment portal of the ATS Network. Fictional writing is indeed entertainment. It is sometimes even good fiction and deserves it's own special spot. I simply feel that there is a difference between ATS and BTS as far as content goes, and this seems to be supported by the stated purpose of the ATS network. That is the crux of the matter. I believe we all have seen threads moved over to BTS when the content was not Conspiracy, or Alternative news related. It doesn't mean that the subject does not have merit. It simply places the content in an area that is more appropriate to the subject and thus makes it easier to find.

Some could argue that the whole of ATS is just entertainment. Anyone who doesn't believe the content of a thread and has their mind totally made up already is viewing the thread as entertainment.

And you do have a problem with it. Your problem is that it is on the ATS side and not the BTS side.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Bts has a "Fantasy @ Science Fiction" section , along with a Literature

section , Im sure those musings written in the Coll writing would

fit within those confines

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

Ant4u, You understand that there is content indexing on the ATS network. You earlier stated that I had something "against" collaborative writing and that is not the case. It is a matter of appropriate indexing, and not one of any belief that fiction and creativity is bad.

Again, there is a reason why The Above Top Secret Network created BTS. Perhaps instead of attacking me, you could address why you feel Collaborative Writing does not belong on BTS.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Seany

As was said earlier most of the content on ATS is likely fiction anyway should it all be moved to the fantasy section of BTS. Each and every thread on ATS may be collaborative fiction.

The treads started are the collaborative idea of experiences are snippets of information put together by the one who starts the thread. I can't say that there is one thread here that is absolute truth. It's all in what we believe.

reply to post by Ant4AU

Because the Amigos put it where they wanted it.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by Ant4AU]

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Ant4AU

There are already 2 forums for the Writers, Science Fiction @ Fantasy

and Literature, by your explanation, those Forums should be moved UP to ATS

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Terapin is right that it BELONGS in bts. You can still write stories there, but i dont have to see it in my list of recent posts.... i dont want to read your stupid made up stories.

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wertdagf
Terapin is right that it BELONGS in bts. You can still write stories there, but i dont have to see it in my list of recent posts.... i dont want to read your stupid made up stories.

Then don't, no one is forcing you.

I don't particularly like the title of this thread. "false stories"? Why not "creative stories"? As to where it is indexed, it's fine imo. It's catalogued in "General & Shared Topic Discussion Forums". Along with Member Introductions, Debate Forum, ATS Freshman Forum, ATS Games, etc. Should we move those to BTS as well?

posted on Mar, 29 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Terapin

Loam...follows that by trying to pick apart my words rather than discuss the subject.

Um, I'm not supposed to use your words to discern the subject?

All this certainly sounds reasonable. Of course, you'd never guess this was your point by your thread title and initial approach.

In a library they generally do not place books on Science, History, and Reference, in the Fictional Novels section. That does not mean that one work is any better than the other. It is just content appropriate indexing.

I hadn't realized some of the creative writing stories were showing up in the War on Terror or New World Order shelves.

Using your library analogy, it appears emotionally important to you that they be housed in an entirely different building.

Check.

Like I said, matters little to me.

[edit on 29-3-2009 by loam]

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join