It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Brazil president blames white people for crisis

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:55 PM
link   
As of not knowing black bankers, I have to agree that doesn't mean there are none of them, some of which may have caused the crash. To make this more severe, I hear that while still being in bad shape, the Brazil economy isn't as bad as the US economy.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by nanbei
I thing most people here in this forum are not understanding what our president was trying to say. When he said "white men with blue eyes" he was using it only as a metaphor (an expression of an understanding of one concept in terms of another concept, where there is some similarity or correlation between the two) that, like most metaphors in portuguese, when translated to english, is misundertood.
"White men with blue eyes" is just a symbolic nomination for highly educated people mostly from rich country, white, black, yellow, indian, green or wathever you name it, who occupied high rank jobs in financial and government sectors and are all responsible for all this astronomical ponzi scheme.

"White men with blue eyes" is just a symbolic nomination for highly educated people mostly from rich country,

I am sorry friend but I don't buy that,

So why not just say, highly educated people mostly from rich country,

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by nanbei

Do you really think that Lula knows how to use a metaphor? (sarcastic? maybe not)
Even if he meant it as a metaphor, why didn't he use rich people / poor people comparison?
Because he wants to impress a part his electorate, wich are indians, blacks or just plain ignorant.

He should appologize for this real bad choice of words.

A president can not make racist comments. It will just generate even more racial segregation.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Know you people see why people join the Neo-Nazi groups.

Peace

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Perhaps white folks with blue eyes are better off vacationing in Argentina. Nice beaches.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Lula is a lousy president, no doubt. But you guys are just as ignorant as him. For one, do you realize he's considered white himself? You guys think all latin Americans are Mexican, so I guess it doesn't matter anyway, but just for a fun fact I thought I'd let you know there's a huge white/black split in Brazil too, since those of Portuguese descent are white, and NOT hispanic. He considers himself white, and not only that, but his words were taken out of context, and he was basically blaming Americans for Brazil's few problems, not "white people" regardless.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I think the Brazilian president was just misunderstood... He probably meant to say that white, blue-eyed women are the cause of everything wrong in the world today. I can more readily appreciate that statement (but don't tell my wife I said it).

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:49 PM
link   
Nah what I think the guy was illuding to was that the banksters are part of the illuminati aryan agenda, just a guess, and i mean come on wouldn't that be more fun than simple racism????

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by NovusInvictus

wow you are about as close to reality as as I am to the sun. Portugese descent is white???? are you smokin??? spanish/ dude as in the people that colonized and interbred with the brazilian population. Not white. If the were cucasian descent they would be white. Think before you puke out totally idiocy on here please. And don't insult the board and then make an arse of yourself.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:58 PM
link   
As a fellow 'whitey' i dont think comments like this are constructive, these countries aren't complaining when the consumers spending results in a new factory in their country! they are just pissed off that the economic aid might dry up for a while!!

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by NovusInvictus
Lula is a lousy president, no doubt... He considers himself white, and not only that, but his words were taken out of context, and he was basically blaming Americans for Brazil's few problems, not "white people" regardless.

Well, he can't get away with blaming America, either, because the USA is currently demonstrating that Black leadership is just as sinister and stupid and corrupt as white leadership. The current administration, all on its own, has already stolen 3.6 Trillion Dollars from the American people within 100 days of taking office.

And that has got to be some kind of freakin' record.

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Oh no I am white with blue eyes, he is gunna get me!...

Come on guys dont take offense with what he sais. What I say: Words that come out of someone's mouth are not actually offensive, they are just as offensive as you take them to be.

I'm gunna send him a letter saying it is his fault that my toilet is broke.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by BeyondBelow
Portugese descent is white???? are you smokin??? spanish/ dude as in the people that colonized and interbred with the brazilian population. Not white.

Well, you've just made a complete ass of yourself for not knowing that Spaniards are as Caucasian and as white as the driven snow. All of Europe is historically Caucasian, as is the Middle East and Western Asia.

Incidentally, for the ignoramuses out there, nationality is not the same as race. I know, they teach you in government schools that there are dozens of races, all deserving of special treatment and affirmative action, but that is what we call A Lie. You've been duped, kids.

— Doc Velocity

[edit on 3/27/2009 by Doc Velocity]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Doc Velocity

Originally posted by BeyondBelow
Portugese descent is white???? are you smokin??? spanish/ dude as in the people that colonized and interbred with the brazilian population. Not white.

Well, you've just made a complete ass of yourself for not knowing that Spaniards are as Caucasian and as white as the driven snow. All of Europe is historically Caucasian, as is the Middle East and Western Asia.

Incidentally, for the ignoramuses out there, nationality is not the same as race. I know, they teach you in government schools that there are dozens of races, all deserving of special treatment and affirmative action, but that is what we call A Lie. You've been duped, kids.

— Doc Velocity

Yea, latins ARE caucasians with black hair. I hear people all the time think they are a seperate race, which is just silly, they just have their national traits is all.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:27 PM
link   
I remember, as a kid growing up in the predominately black Bed-Stuy section of Brooklyn, that when somebody was cut a break, the response was usually "That's mighty white of you".
My response was "Don't call me white, white people give too much stuff away".
Point being, he is right, maybe we gave away too much stuff and engendered a generation or so of people who are unable to work to their limits and discover their full potential.
Entitlement mentality, give mortgages, jobs, loans, health insurance, housing, food vouchers, ad nauseum.
The do-gooders are the ones that dropped the final curtain on the American Experiment, and now to fix it, they want do burn the curtain and expose the stage hands and say "they did this".
Bastards

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Well, according to the article in Globo (Brazil's biggest news agency), government sources have said that even though Brown was put off by the remark, it was, nevertheless, for "domestic consumption." I would tend to agree in that it was made by the Brazilian president, in the Brazilian Capital. As a previous poster did mention, Latin America is more overtly racist in that people are categorized into levels of skin shade more so than in the US (where are black/white/hispanic/asian/jewish paradigm is less concrete, but more cultural).

In truth, having lived in Brazil, I will say that some regions are considered popularly more racist than others. However, I would say that general misconceptions about race are based on socioeconomic situations of various groups. For starters, let's remember that slavery ended a good 20 years after the US. However, despite the difference in time, in Brazil there is MUCH less taboo in marrying outside of your "race". Multiethnic children are very common in Brazil.

So, again, citing what a previous poster mentioned about higher racism in Latin America, I will say that it is more complex than just simply that. So, when Lula said, it's "white people with blue eyes", he was not (simply / necessarily) referring to the high-prowess economies in the US and Europe, but rather the movers and shakers in Brazil's upperclass elite - mostly to be found in Sao Paulo. Sao Paulo's business community is highly disproportionate when it comes to representing Brazil's ethnic diversity as many of them are "white". So even when you take any northern hemisphere's nations out of the loop, it still hits close to home for those Brazilians who are still living in squalor, poverty and surrounded by crime, and who often are not "white with blue eyes."

I don't think you can contextualize this without being in Brazil and hearing it. That being said, it probably is not the best way to go about saying it. It would have been better to say, it is a class issue...but in the end, if it's true, but uncomfortable, it's still true.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by krytonic
Yea, latins ARE caucasians with black hair. I hear people all the time think they are a seperate race, which is just silly, they just have their national traits is all.

Thank you! We have another educated person in the room.

I'm amazed by the rampant ignorance out there regarding what "race" is... It's not skin pigmentation, it's not eye color, it's not some religious or cultural idiosyncrasy. Race is determined by certain structures of the facial bones.

That's it. That's how we can differentiate Caucasoid, Mongoloid and Negroid skeletons, okay?

I mean, damn, what race do you think are those who populate the subcontinent of India? They have dark pigmentation (even black skin in many cases) and dark brown eyes. Which race is that? They're Caucasian, you oafs!

— Doc Velocity

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Doc Velocity

Thanks Doc I always love your posteses.

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Oh, how I agree! But I think it should be generalized to ALL women....

[edit on 27-3-2009 by wylekat]

posted on Mar, 27 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Yea people saying Jews are a race always makes me laugh. People need to think of it like with other mammals, a dog's or cat's "breed" is determined by their structure and not their fur colour... Same goes with humans as you pointed out with the facial bones.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join