It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people commit suicide when God is suppose to only give you as much as you can stand??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I was told by my Catholic priest when I was younger that God will only give you as much as you can take, and I use to take comfort in that. But if God only gives you as much as you can handle then why do people commit suicide? I've asked this question to many of my friends and family and all they can tell me is that some people are weak. But if they are weak then why did God give them so much to handle? If God truly had the power to regulate how much people have to deal with then isn't one of his jobs to help the "weak" along as best as he can? This has been one of my biggest problems with the church.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:00 AM
link   
If that person doesn't truly have God in their heart then they don't understand the notion that all bad things will pass.

If a person doesn't believe that God will only give us as much as we can stand, then they can only feel that they cannot take anymore and all is lost.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
well i can tell you this... if you are always living a lie and one day you found out, you might be in for a surprise right...what is god knew "if he finds out, he cannot handle it" and you do find out... the element of the suprise ALWAYS works. than people can act verry "strange".

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by whatshenneping

That made absolutely no sense at all. I get that you don't believe in God, but that is all I got out of that post.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
God has nothing to do with ones copping skills or chemical imbalances. But what he does give us is hope. A feeling is just a feeling and cant physically harm you. But when people give up hope that the terrible feeling wont improve eventually some are actually driven to action in a desperate attempt for relief. One mans discomfort is another mans hell. But we can live through hell if we have hope we can make it too blue skies and the knowledge that there is a better way and people who can help.

So that leads to the next question, why does God permit wickedness pain and suffering...

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

If a person doesn't believe that God will only give us as much as we can stand, then they can only feel that they cannot take anymore and all is lost.

But God still gave them too much if he knew that the person didn't have him in their heart then he shouldn't have pushed them so hard.

If it is truly his responsibility to give people their crosses then why wouldn't he take into account that some people are not religious. They should be protected just the same as religious people.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Unfortunately some spiritual leaders are at a loss for words. I find it hard to believe that any church leader wouldn't have a solid answer when confronted with that kind of question. Especially when aware of the circumstances of a given situation.

In a nutshell, I've always held to a general understanding that chemical imbalances in the brain cause people to do what does not come naturally.

Including suicide.

[edit on 3·22·09 by DrMattMaddix]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Is it his fault that they have turned their back on him?

We are given free will. We are also given the promise of Gods love and wrath. Should God grant someone no heart ache because they do not belive in him?

Suicide is a personal choice and one some take extremely lightly. God is not responsible for our choices and those who put that blame on him is just an excuse for those who do not believe in him.

If one believes God will not give them more then they can take then suicide will not be an option for them. They trust God will get them through the hard times and smile on them during the good.

If one does not believe in God then they see that their situation is hopeless. It could be Gods way of trying to get them to see the light, so to speak. They are given the choice and their free will alone determines what they will do.

Blaming God for suicide is an excuse to discredit his existance.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Great Day
So that leads to the next question, why does God permit wickedness pain and suffering...

We have free will to make choices. Wicked is a choice and subjective in many peoples opinions.

Pain and suffering... At it's base level, I would submit, that God loves his children as we love our own children. When you see them behaving inappropriately you discipline and cause them some grief. A wiser child will wise up and avert the pain and suffering, in accordance with the fathers will.

Conversely, One that doesn't receive the pain and suffering or correction from their father could conclude that they've eluded father for long enough that their father no longer cares about them enough to offer correction anymore.

That's just my brief opinion.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
because there is no god .. . what a dumb question ... sorry but I had to say it ...

you guys need to watch Religulous and learn about religion ...

you need to make your own belief...thats why I can say

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Faiol

I can ask you to read the Bible and learn about religion.

or

Watch the Passion of The Christ and learn about the suffering of Jesus.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 01:59 AM
link   
But do you think that God turns his back on those who dont believe in him. Some can't believe in him because of things that have happened to them.

It is impossible to go through life without problems even if God willed it, so no I don't think he should give non believers a pass because in reality he couldn't what I am saying is that to just let them suffer so much for so long if he did give them that cross to bare is wrong if they are about to take their lives being religious or not.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Your not getting it.

If you want to believe that God gives people so much that it drives them to suicide then I can't change your stance on that. You are going to have to come to God on your own. Whether that is by some soul searching or talking to a minister.

Those who do not believe cannot imagine why God allows some things to happen. They do not truly understand the concept that God gave us free will.

Hope you find whatever it is you are searching for.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Is it his fault that they have turned their back on him?

I think you are assuming people who have reached the end of the rope, so to speak, have turned their back on him. What about people who don't believe in God? I'm not saying I don't but, you are assuming everyone does.

We are given free will. We are also given the promise of Gods love and wrath. Should God grant someone no heart ache because they do not belive in him?

I think wrath is pretty evil. So, let me ask you, do you believe God is capable of being good, and evil? If God has given us free will to decide what to believe in, then why should people have to suffer his wrath, because a person chooses not to? Try explaning your logic to a starving infant in Africa, who has never even had a chance to find out about God. Try explaining your logic for a parent who has lost a child at a young age, about this wrath idiocy. Did God create us, just so we have to live in fear of his wrath all the time?

Suicide is a personal choice and one some take extremely lightly. God is not responsible for our choices and those who put that blame on him is just an excuse for those who do not believe in him.

So, a person wracked with cancer who believes in God, but can't take the pain anymore is taking suicide lightly? Could it be in some cases, that people wish to go home sooner to God, than when he is ready to take them? Free will, in some cases to make that choice is understandable, in my opinion.

If one believes God will not give them more then they can take then suicide will not be an option for them. They trust God will get them through the hard times and smile on them during the good.

What about people who suffer for years, not just a couple of days? Even if they believe in God, there is only so much people can take.

If one does not believe in God then they see that their situation is hopeless. It could be Gods way of trying to get them to see the light, so to speak. They are given the choice and their free will alone determines what they will do.

What about people who believe in God, but still decide to commit suicide? Are you saying that this does not happen?

Blaming God for suicide is an excuse to discredit his existance.

Who is blaming God for suicide here? As you mentioned it is a free will descision.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

Its obvious by your post you don't believe so I'm not going to get baited by your post.

I have stated what I believe. It is your free will, a gift given by God, to not agree with me. I'm not going to spend my time trying to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:30 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Some of you (particularly those living in middle class or better suburban areas who are healthy) have absolutely no idea how bad it can get, sure you read about the world, you see it on tv, let it stomp on your face a few times and then feel you can be self righteous about those who choose to stop with this # early.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   

reply to post by saber13

If you want to believe that God gives people so much that it drives them to suicide then I can't change your stance on that.

Those who do not believe cannot imagine why God allows some things to happen. They do not truly understand the concept that God gave us free will.

Yes we have free choice but we have no control over what the future holds and I have been told that to a degree God does and if he can ease the suffering of a person by taking off some of their burden that he may have put there then he should.

I went to catholic school for 7 years, and I have read, been taught or have studied most of the Bible. And the Passion of the Christ was sick and sad but in my opinion was not something to base religious beliefs on

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Christians generally believe that God gives them free will.

That means that what God gives you is life and the ability to choose what you do with that life, nothing else.

Which means God doesn't make anything happen, or keep anything from happening, but makes anything and everything possible. Since people are able to kill themselves, by their own free will, some of them will.

Not all Christians think this way, some of them think we are all either pawns of God or of the devil, our lives being shaped and controlled against our will.

An example of the difference would be; If a burglar broke into a house, one type of Christian might pray to God for the burglar to drop dead, or leave without discovering anyone; more or less making a wish asking God to disrupt the free will granted to the burglar. The other type of Christian would most likely pray to God for the strength and courage to face whatever might happen next. You would never hear this type ask "Why did God let this happen?", they don't think God interferes and keeps humans from experiencing things as they naturally will.

There is quite a large philosophical difference, and one type may be more likely to commit suicide than the other...

[edit on 22-3-2009 by maus80]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Its obvious by your post you don't believe so I'm not going to get baited by your post.

Once again, you are assuming. I am able to look at the question that Saber13 mentioned from different perspectives. Not just yours. I'm not saying you are wrong, but, you think your line of thinking is the only correct one. I hope for your sake you are correct. Eternity is a long time, if you have not made the correct descision as to what you believe.

I choose not to believe in fire and brimstone, death to souls that do not believe.

I have stated what I believe. It is your free will, a gift given by God, to not agree with me. I'm not going to spend my time trying to convince someone who doesn't want to be convinced.

Terrific! Wonderful! I have stated what I believe also. You seem to be quite inflexible, and intolerant of people who don't see it your way. Just because I don't see eye to eye with you, does not mean I am baiting you. You are allowed to believe whatever you want to, as am I. Tolerance is wonderful in this world. I don't want you to convince me of anything, but I appreciate your concern. No thanks!

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Suicide is a personal choice and one some take extremely lightly.

well I guess we we'll have to take your word for it given they're dead n all.

the instinct for self preserevation alone would make taking action on that "choice" extremely difficult. I suggest you go and look at some of the depression sites so you can better understand the subject.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by riley]

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join