It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do people commit suicide when God is suppose to only give you as much as you can stand??

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:42 AM
link   

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
reply to post by gYvMessanger

Good thing I'm not one of those or I would feel really stupid right now.

I grew up hungry with my mom working minimum wage while my dad was in prison.

I had to live homeless for a month as a teen because I got kicked out of my house for something I would rather not talk about. Still went to school and my coach gave me a place to live after he found out through my brother I was homeless. I spent a year with him and his family who showed me the way to God and he helped me reunite with my family.

Been to war and saw some pretty bad things. Suffered a friend that was more of a brother die, saw a kid lose an arm due to an IED and things that are better not talked about with a stranger.

Married a woman who I thought was my soul mate only to have her cheat on me and went through an agonizing divorce that tore out my heart.

Through all of that I came through with my belief unscathed and found myself another beautiful woman who wanted to marry me and now we are expecting our first child in a few months.

So yes, I have been through some very hard times and looking back it only reaffirms my belief that God will only give you what you can handle and that if you keep the faith then he will reward you at the end.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by jd140

So yes, I have been through some very hard times and looking back it only reaffirms my belief that God will only give you what you can handle and that if you keep the faith then he will reward you at the end.

Well, this is just about average for a lot of people in this world, everything you described.

What works for you might not work for other people.

You were lucky to have made it through, partially do to your strong fortitude, that other people might not have, even people who do believe in God.

What sort of school did you attend? Your coach had no business, unless you attended a religious school, to subject you to any sort of religious training, even if you were living in his home. You were a minor, and unless he was granted guardianship, it was not his responsibility. The guy ought to be reported to the school board, if this was a public school!

edit for typo

[edit on 22-3-2009 by Blanca Rose]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Blanca Rose

You are correct.

I do believe my way of thinking on this subject is the only one that counts. I don't compromise with my faith. I am not open to other lines of thinking about it.

I can't debate you on it because you would ask me differant things and I would just repeat the same thing over and over.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Public School and he had custody of me.

So the witch hunt stops there. Please do not speak ill of the man.

Please do not describe what I went through as average.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Public School and he had custody of me.

So the witch hunt stops there. Please do not speak ill of the man.

Please do not describe what I went through as average.

Sorry, do you want this to be a rag fest about who's life was worse than everyone elses? I'm only asking because it seems to be deraling Saber13's thread somewhat, as it is not answering the question asked.

Would it suffice to say, that what you described for yourself, was small potatoes in the big scheme of things, and I was being polite by calling your description average?

I can only tell you that from what you had to say, my life was worse, so, sorry if you think I was being rude.

Everyone has a story to tell, not all are bad, but surely there are people out there that have had it far worse than yourself. This in itself has caused people to commit suicide.

Really, I am quite happy for you that you figured out what you have for yourself, but I will say once again, that what worked for you doesn't work for everybody else.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:10 AM
link   

I did not say my life was the worse. I just ask you to respect what I had been through and not describe it as average.

That being said, I have answered the question and each post asking me a differant question can be answered by my earlier posts.

So this is my last post on the subject. If you have any other questions of me please review my earlier posts, as that is the only answers you will be getting from me.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:18 AM
link   

I do believe my way of thinking on this subject is the only one that counts. I don't compromise with my faith. I am not open to other lines of thinking about it.

But religion has so many gray areas how can there only be one answer to it, it describes our beginning and our end, it speaks of so many things that are over humans heads whether you are religious or not. I do not get how some people cannot think of things in a different light. Suicide being one of them, some people have a very weak will and should then be given less to deal with that was my point when asking the question. It was to point out the gray.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

Why do people blame GOD for their life being hard?
can't think of a single instance i can totally blame a higher power for causing.....
lost my job?
lost my house?
lost a loved one that fell extremly ill???? gods doing??? PLEASE!!!!
Is that really the best i can come up with??? GOD DID IT TO TEST ME???
could it not be...cutbacks at work..can't pay mortgage...and it was just their time to go...and to give it reason i'll blame the invisible man in the sky.

i had a girlfriend that acted like a total biatch to see how much i loved her.
god sent her?? ah yes...
to see if i loved him more than her?? dumped her, cheers for that one god. lol

SUICIDE? ive heard that if you do top yourself youre in the poo in gods eyes, but what if you do it by accident i mean oops i thought they were just painkillers? no? ah so you must have intent??
ok say you intend to, try to? but it fails (still alive), still gunna be in trouble at the pearly gates?
"not tonight mate!!!!!!! attempted suicide 30 years ago"

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

reply to post by Faiol

I can ask you to read the Bible and learn about religion.

Woah! Reading the Christian Bible won't really teach you that much about religion per se. It'll certainly teach the reader something about Abrahamic faith but religion in general?

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
People commit suicide for many reasons.

One, people who think they are being trendy and smart to do so, because they are dieing "with dignity" so they think to commit suicide, that they are in control, even of their own death. People such as this usually believe there is no afterlife, and it's all about this life, and they want to have a "good death."

Other people commit suicide spur of the moment out of shame or embarassment when life deals them a severe setback and it's their way of evening the score, rather than admit where they went wrong themselves to bring on the setback they will commit suicide and put the blame on others for causing their problems.

There may be other examples or reasons why people do this, but in either case they think it's "safe" to do so, that there will be no eternal consquences for their self-murder, and indeed they commit the deed to make a mark on those left behind, wanting people to admire them and/or to be sorry for mistreating them or causing them problems.

Some Christians who are taught that nothing they do will ever cause them to lose their salvation or their soul see suicide as a way out of an unpleasant situation, or even a living hell on earth, and a way to step foot into paradise, because of heretical teachings by their pastors who are actually wolves. Having committed self-murder and with no chance to repent, they will never go to Heaven because the Bible says no murderer will be in Heaven (unrepentant murderer).

In olden days, suicides were not permitted to be buried in the community cemeteries.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:12 AM
link   
I think its important to recognise a few things first off. Evil is the absence of God and the bads and ills that happen to us in life are most often due to the machinations of others. These others are not automatons placed into our life by God to test us they are, like us, human beings with free-will who act in accord with their own free-will. If, for example, a partner is unfaithful it is not God making them unfaithful to test you - they have chosen by their own free will to act in a way that gives them satisfaction and accidentally hurts you.

The question is not how much suffering does God give as a test, but how much Grace does God give one as a means of surviving these trials which are a consequence of the fallen nature of humanity. God does not give you the cross to bear but gives sufficient grace to bear those crosses.

Wether you accept, unwrap and use these graces is where your own free will comes into play. To extend the Pauline athletic's analogy its like the body you have been given. You can want to get fit, join a gym, buy the outfit but if you don't use any of these you'll still be unfit. Suicide is the consequence of a despair which focuses on the crosses rather than the sufficient grace given to carry them.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:13 AM
link   

reply to post by saber13

Suicide is a personal choice and one some take extremely lightly.

Suicide a choice?

Seriously are you that damn ignorant? You go on about people complaining about your beliefs, and all of sudden you come out with crap like this?

Obviously there is no cure for ignoprance, so I will post extracst below so you can actually understand the causes of suicide

Suicide may occur for a number of reasons, including depression, shame, guilt, desperation, physical pain, emotional pressure, anxiety, financial difficulties, or other undesirable situations.

The predominant view of modern medicine is that suicide is a mental health concern, associated with psychological factors such as the difficulty of coping with depression, inescapable suffering or fear, or other mental disorders and pressures. Suicide is sometimes interpreted as a "cry for help" and attention, or to express despair and the wish to escape, rather than a genuine intent to die.[5] Most people who attempt suicide do not complete suicide on a first attempt; those who later gain a history of repetitions have a significantly higher probability of eventual completion of suicide.[6]

Take it from someone whos suffering from depression (yes i am, and im only admitting it now because im shocked at the lack of research some people do), its not a choice....god or no god....ones beliefs will not stop someone from having a chemical inbalance pushing them down this particular road

Aplogies for acting out this way, but hearing someone say this when Im actually on the front line dealing with something very similar....deeply offends me

[edit on 22/3/2009 by OzWeatherman]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

Last post on this thread.

Suicide is not a choice?

That person is made against their will to put the gun to their head, hang themselves, jump off a building or take a lethal dose of pills?

or

Do they choose to do those things?

I really don't care what kind of names you call me, how many angry faces you give me or how many thumbs down you give me. It won't make me sleep less at night.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

That person is made against their will to put the gun to their head, hang themselves, jump off a building or take a lethal dose of pills?

or

Its called having a mental illness....like I said do some research already and stop promoting your religion as the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Obviously though you dont understand or dont want to understand, so debating with you is pointless....just keep on living in your perfect little religious world, and pretend suicide is nothing but a personal chocie, where someone just wakes up one day and decides its a good time to die

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Last post on this thread.

Suicide is not a choice?

or

I'd have said that often suicide actually comes through an apparent lack of choice or options. For many people there's literally no way to change or alter the, what is for them, the insurmountable position they're in.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Well since you gave me three thumbs down this time I must ask you to answer my question.

All those reasons you gave me only one was a mental illness and that was depression.

So which one is the right answer.

No dancing around it. There is not an option C. Either they are forced against their will or they choose to do those things.

I feel for your condition, my wife takes medication for the same thing and she happens to agree with me on this subject.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:37 AM
link   
reply to post by saber13

Think of life like a test. When your teacher tells you that you must complete the test till your time runs out, in order to pass, but instead you throw away the test because it's too hard.

I have a friend who tried to end their life, but I helped to convince them to wait the "test" out. They did, and they met the love of their life and they now have beautiful children.

[edit on Sun Mar 22nd 2009 by DJMessiah]

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by DJMessiah

Excellent analogy.

I would add my own spin on it though and say that it is God giving the test. But yours analogy stands well on its own.

posted on Mar, 22 2009 @ 06:02 AM
link   
reply to post by jd140

The reply wasn't actually to you it was a general reply to the thread, yours just happens to have been the post I was reading when i decided to reply, sorry about that.

edit: However having been in a similar position to yourself and made it through and still having faith, I still say it's a persons choice to make, I made the choice not to, but I would never dream of looking down or blaming someone who made the choice to.

[edit on 22-3-2009 by gYvMessanger]

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join