It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 303
<< 300  301  302    304  305  306 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes
reply to post by nenothtu

Wow, seriously troubling US Govt Property pic. You were unaware of this place before?

I'd never payed attention on that route before, usually going past in the dark. Going past in the daylight made a different picture for me. I'm not entirely sure what it is, other than someone wants to communicate with someone pretty badly. It seems unattended, but things are not always as they appear. I know of a "secret" NSA listening post up near the Shenadoah (with a bunch of satellite dishes) that is run "officially" by the US Navy (that far inland!) but is really an NSA facility. I know some contractors who've been on that site, but even they won't talk much about it.

There are also out of the way "COG" facilities salted around that appear to be unattended, but are not. Cross the wire on one, and you'll soon find out just how "unattended" they are. There's one not far from here that I know of - just looks like an abandoned AT+T facility, complete with overgrown grass, but the underground there is pretty lively. Trucks go in periodically, disappear under the building for a couple of hours, then come back out lighter, and guards with assault rifles are seen now and then when they get careless.

Given that, I'm not crossing the wire at the satellite dishes to find out what's there.

Also, I'm curious what the "other" noises were that you heard last night.

High explosives, not gunpowder or black powder, but more "concussive", faster-burning. It's hard to say if it was dynamite, TNT, or C4 or something like that. Don't know who would waste it just to make noise on New year's, but there it was.

My husband and I regularly hear "explosions" within about a half mile radius of our house...north of us is all semi-rural residential...clear to the river. West all residential. East, residential, south, south/east commercial.

He's taught me how to differentiate between "transformers", "fireworks", and "gunshots." Some prettty sketchy noises, let me tell ya...

Man, do we want OUT of this city.

Gotta test it every once in a while to make sure it's still good!
Sounds like someone keeping their hand in practice for unrest. that can be either good or bad, depending on whether you're on their good side or not. Could it be construction demolitions? That's always a possibility.

I hear sporadic machine gun fire out near where I work every so often, but last night was the first time I'd ever heard 3 of 'em open up all at once out there. I hear deer rifles being sighted in just about every weekend, but there's one spot where machine guns rule the day, apparently. It really doesn't worry me much, but I had one guy out there that got spastic as hell every time he heard shots. I figure if I'm not in the sights, what do I care what they do?

I think there's a fair chance that we have an interesting year ahead of us.

My next post is twisting around in my head, but has so far failed to gel. As I recall, there is a back pack under a ledge with the Green Man pendant in it still, isn't there? I'm thinking that neno, Ben, and Sslar make camp there, find the backpack so that neno knows Silo is about, then Macallister's goons come, scattering the trio and probably capturing neno, but I've not yet worked it all out as to how that is exactly going to take place.

Silo: how far is the Macallister place from Gep's cabin, how far from the town, and what are the directions to and from them? I know the town is east of Gep's, but I haven't got Macallister's placed yet.

edit on 2012/1/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 12:38 AM
link   
There was a very interesting scene in the first part of Hell on Wheels this evening, which seemed to have a direct bearing on the Space Opera.

"Neno" Colin Bohannon had a major disagreement with "Death" Swede Gundersen. It involved Bohannon making Swede beg, and whipping him. I mean actually WHIPPING him, with a leather strap - with the buckle intact. It wasn't pretty, but it was 100 percent neno, and really reminded me a LOT of the Space Opera scene where neno and Death had their disagreement which ended in a beating and neno getting kicked out of Hell, or Purgatory, or wherever that place was.

I've heard of art imitating life, but art imitating art?

I don't think Bohannon made a friend, any more than neno did. I gotta wonder how both of those situations are going to play out. Might have to resolve, or at least get the Space Opera situation into play before the Hell on Wheels situation gets rolling, to avoid charges of "plagarism".

ETA: An excellent episode. Lot's of character development. Swede has always had it in for Bohannon, ever Bohannon escaped the noose that Swede had ready for him and took a job with Swede's boss. Now he REALLY has it in for him. He amassed a bunch of documents showing that Bohannon is a killer, and presented them to the boss, Durant. Durant said:

"Listen to me! Half the men out there are killers. half of them are accomplices. they are ALL afraid of Bohannon. HE is an agent of progress. An asset to me in this endeavor, whatever his motivations. Now you will feed this fantasy of revenge into the stove."

Odd alliances forming - the "Lady" and the prostitute. A former Confederate soldier (Bohannon), a former slave, and a "former" Cheyenne. Those last 3 are thrown into a patrol of Yankee Cavalry in pursuit of renegade Cheyennes, knowing they're as likely to have to fight the Yankees as they are the Cheyennes.

Cliff-hanger ending. Highly recommended viewing to gain a grasp of the sort of character that neno is, and perhaps Death (Swede) as well. Other associations with the Space Opera are a bit sparse, but forming up as it goes.

Another memorable line - as Bohannon straightens out the Yankee officer's account of Sharpsburg (or Antietam, depending on which side of the bridge one was on - those two can't seem to agree on what to call it, just like Bull Run/ Manassas) where the Yankee picked up a Confederate saber he was carrying, and where Bohannon was on the other side of the bridge, the conversation come to a head when Bohannon says "Well I reckon I'll just have to take it off you and shove it up yer ass, then." as he heads forward to do just that.

Yup, that's neno!

edit on 2012/1/2 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   

There are also out of the way "COG" facilities salted around that appear to be unattended, but are not. Cross the wire on one, and you'll soon find out just how "unattended" they are. There's one not far from here that I know of - just looks like an abandoned AT+T facility, complete with overgrown grass, but the underground there is pretty lively. Trucks go in periodically, disappear under the building for a couple of hours, then come back out lighter, and guards with assault rifles are seen now and then when they get careless.

Given that, I'm not crossing the wire at the satellite dishes to find out what's there.

Hmmmm. (Can't say I'd cross the wire either, but you might drop Jesse Ventura a line! Bet he'd have a go!)

This information saddens me more than frightens me.
I prefer my naive impression that the mountains and wilds are still unspoiled.

But apparently not. You've talked about the cave networks...are there working mines also? Not that I think for one minute the old abandoned AT&T site is some "disguise" for just a simple mine...
but yikes. Area51 does come to mind.
Where are Areas 1 through 50, btw?

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Thanks for the quick summary! I watched it last night, a rerun, and then the newun...

but this morning as I was waking up I thought "Wait. What was it about?" (Again. But this time I didn't fall over the fire screen in the dark...perhaps it's on too bloody LATE for me old crippled-up bones)...

It is good vewing, complex and well-rounded characters, if not old, classic story lines (like nearly all film entertainment). Gotta say I don't carrotTall for the tattoos on that gals chin. Ewies.

I'da been purrty-dammed angry at the tribe fer a-messin' wi' me FACE!

posted on Jan, 2 2012 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Hmmmm. (Can't say I'd cross the wire either, but you might drop Jesse Ventura a line! Bet he'd have a go!)

This information saddens me more than frightens me.
I prefer my naive impression that the mountains and wilds are still unspoiled.

No, you misunderstood. those facilities are where I live and work now. The borders of "Vandalia" are around 250 or 300 miles away, as the crow flies. that place is still The Land The Government Forgot. The only government facilities up there are National Guard Armories, which are few and far between. The only time we see feds is if they decide to raid a still and pinch someone for tax evasion. Heck, the only times I ever even saw Sheriff's Deputies was maybe twice a year, as they were driving past on their way to somewhere else.

Politicians would no doubt be eaten if they tried to homestead there in bunkers for a COG scenario.

You've talked about the cave networks...are there working mines also?

There were. They mostly all closed down in the early 90's. I've heard that some are reopening, but Obama will put the kibosh on that post haste with all the talk of "carbon taxes" and prices of power "necessarily skyrocketing". It will reduce demand for coal, and probably institute rolling blackouts. Still lots of abandoned mines around, complete with interesting fossils.

Last time I checked, which was some time ago, the dominant industry had shifted to timber.

Where are Areas 1 through 50, btw?

Nebraska. All of them.

BTW, did you know that SPAM actually stands for Shredded Processed Alien Meat? No wonder I won't touch the stuff!

edit on 2012/1/3 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 06:57 AM
link   

How's the dog/puppies doing? My Mama Bun is poor, the babies alive (a miracle), and me? Exhausted!

Hope I can get a Chumley/Neno and Carpet/Neno post in soon - it's not really started yet - only in my head so if someone goes fist - oh well for me.

I've got to get back to Silo too...

Oh, I've named the bunnies after the Saga characters... BIAD's has such long hair I'm wondering if there's any eyes under there or not. No red nail polish through - yet.

Happy New Year All!!!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

To be honest, they're doing better than I expected them to.

This is Momma Dog's 4th litter, and it wasn't planned - we didn't even know she was in heat, until we went to let her and her mate back into the house one day... The first litter, she raised 7 strapping young-uns. The second and third all died. The vet couldn't figure out what the problem was, but she grieved so hard that he said she had to raise a litter all the way through before we could get her fixed, or she'd always be "off". If you ask me, she's always been crazy as a bedbug anyhow, which I suppose is why we get along.

So now she has two left out of 7 in this litter, and with the intensive care they've been getting, it looks like they're going to make it. This last two left standing appear to be thriving at this point. As soon as they're raised, it's off to the vet for some repairs for momma dog. I ain't watching her go through all that no more. it'd break your heart watching her frantically running around the house searching for puppies that weren't ever going to be found, then trying to get you to help her search when she couldn't find them.

She was sort of the inspiration for Sslar - all teeth and bad attitude, and she'll sit there and hold a conversation with you without making a sound. She's probably smarter than the male, who ain't no slouch for smarts, but she hasn't got the self-control he has. She's got a bit more of the wild wolf that expresses itself by coming out of her, and she flat out refuses any structured training, She isn't bad, but she's hard-headed, and just isn't going to be told what to do by anyone.

I think I must have rubbed off on her as a puppy.

The white male was supposed to be "mine", but it worked out otherwise, since no one else can do much of anything with her but me. It was one of those situations where she picked me, rather than the other way around, and she is absolutely convinced that I am HER pet human. It's ok, though, because she won't let the big kids pick on me!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

... BIAD's has such long hair I'm wondering if there's any eyes under there or not
No red nail polish through - yet.

It'll only be a matter of time.
You'll find that one bunny doing things that seem odd, then the claws will become
red and fur will drop from it's shoulders. If the hind feet have high-heels on, then you
know!

posted on Jan, 3 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Aww, thanks, guys, for sharing your baby animal love. I'm the same way. It makes my heart warm to imagine you nurturing those littles, and paying attention to how their mommies are feeling.

Watching animals grieve and desperately seek is heart-breaking to me.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:32 AM
link   
I posted to the story, but didn't post in the synopsis thread. BIAD has a couple of posts to log in, then I'll post my synopsis - or someone else can. Here's the info for a quote-cut-and paste for it:

==================================================================

Writer - nenothtu

Page - 63

Post Number (on page) + title - 09 No title

New NPC - none

New Term - none

Pic included - none

Quick post outline - Neno is taken to a cell after his capture, where Taggart stabs him to death.

=====================================================

I wasn't sure whether to have Taggart retrieve the knife from neno, or to let Death pull it from his chest, but finally decided to have Taggart do it, so that neno could heal for a while before whatever happens next happens....

edit on 2012/1/5 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

Hope I can get a Chumley/Neno and Carpet/Neno post in soon - it's not really started yet - only in my head so if someone goes fist - oh well for me.

Ben and Sslar are on the loose, outside the compound somewhere. this might be a good time for them and Chumley to meet up. Imagine the confusion on Old Ernie if he finds "neno" wandering along in the Badlands with no horse, no sword (which is still on neno's horse) and no nuthin'!

I spent this evening trying to clean up an EVP my daughter caught from a spook that's been bugging her. Got a video clip of something - I dunno what - and now an audio of something growling on the recorder that she didn't hear at the time. She's moved back in here this evening, and the recordings were at her old place. I already have enough spooks here, so this one, whatever it is, ain't welcome and best stay the hell outta my house!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Oh Gosh! could it be that Neno is truly in the land beyond-beyond?
The beatings and the insults all guarantee a negative vibration and
it may be the tough son-of-a-gun is in Death's Waiting!

'Ticket Number 1313 please' and the long stride of the Gunman takes
him to the counter.
The dark haired fish-belly white-faced girl at Reception asks for Neno's
request without looking up and she reminds Neothtu of Natalie Wood.

"I need you to page my writer on the Otherside... there's been a mix-up
and it's pretty urgent, Honey" the rangy Vandalian says and offers his
best lop-sided grin.

A Tall shadow appears from the Main Office and from the darkness of
the being's hood, a voice says "Do as he asks... he's not wanted here"

'EVP for Neno... calling Neno, can you come to the phone please'

I had two from BIAD last night... and one of them was for a change
of underwear, which IS weird...
He doesn't wear underwear.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

Yeah, I couldn't decide what to do with the knife - have Taggart wrench it out, have Death come to visit and pull it out to keep neno from taking up residence within his purview, or just have it push itself out with a squishy POP! Either way, neno isn't done for, he's only about to get convinced that Gert wasn't pulling his leg about the immortality bit.

This makes twice now... it must get terribly annoying to keep getting killed and just not die! You KNOW that's gotta hurt! That by itself virtually guarantees neno to come back with in a bad mood, with a bad 'tude, and with a vengeance! Taggart better get his best dark suit cleaned and pressed for HIS meeting with that young receptionist who will always be "Gypsy" in my mind!

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu, BIAD, Wildtime

I'll post in the index thread after you all do. I think there's some missing entries???

Neno I've a feeling you're about to meet Margo... Please feel welcome to 'use' her character if you'd like. She's headed to help you and Pip/Gep. Iv'e a feeling she'd going to try to get you all 'out' before Taggart wakes up - or some such rot.

Me? I've got to get back to Silo... It's been too long...

Update on the bunnies? Mom Bun Bun died today after a long struggle. Babies are doing great - I hope. Baby bunnies are so hard to raise.

edit on 5-1-2012 by silo13 because: fix bbc bold

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

Sorry to hear about your Bunny. They seem delicate souls to me. I've probably mentioned before that I live in a menagerie. My youngest daughter has a couple of bunnies along with a boat load of sugar gliders and assorted odd "pets" (this isn't even getting into the pack of dogs here), so I can commiserate.

At least she got rid of the rat. I was threatening (flippantly) to get an anaconda to deal with the rat, so it went away. Then they started searching the internet, and found me an anaconda. I guess they thought I was serious. No pythons, boas, rattle snakes, or other wimp reptiles for this old boy - I specified an anaconda (thinking, foolishly, that there was no way they could ever find one here), and that's what they found.

No, I didn't let them really get it for me. Now, if she gets that tarantula she's threatening to get to add to the zoo, I may re-evaluate.

I'm not sure what to do with this video and voice recording of the spook. Can't post it to ATS to see if anyone else can figure it out, so I reckon it'll just sit here on my hard drive.

Oddly, we've started finding teeth laying around the house. two in the last week. One looks like a vampire's eye tooth, root and all. it's not a dog tooth - I checked 'em all, and it's too short for it's girth to be a dog canine, and too long for it's girth to be a human one. That was found laying on the couch, where I normally crash. I've checked my teeth five times now, and it ain't mine.

Found a human cuspid laying in the dining room floor yesterday - again, with root and all. Ain't none of ours, and I've no idea where they are coming from.

Such is life. Weird.

I'm not quite sure where to take neno from where he is currently, so I left it hanging in this latest post. Not sure what's going on with Silo, and I've not yet figured out how to handle it if Taggart finds him missing before the final showdown between the two - it might put Margot in danger, and that wouldn't hardly be fair, since she's about to unlock him.

Latest index info:

========================================================

Writer - nenothtu

Page - 63

Post Number (on page) + title - 11 No title

New NPC - none

New Term - none

Pic included - none

Quick post outline - Margot finds neno dead in his cell - but he doesn't stay that way.

========================================================

There's two BIAD posts (7 and 8) to be indexed, then my number 9 post, then Silo's 10, then this latest of mine, # 11, all on page 63.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Waitttttt a sec...
You want to go back over that tooth thing again please???
This could be important...it is important...

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

I got a post to add to yours - gimme a few to get it up and edited please!!!
I don't want to loose this one!
THANKS!

EDIT TO ADD: There ya go!

edit on 5-1-2012 by silo13 because: see above

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

We're finding teeth laying around. At least one, the cuspid, appears human. The other is a canine tooth of some sort, but it's not from a dog. I dunno how important it is, but it's odd. None of us, human or animal, is missing any teeth. The floors are hardwood, so they're not hiding in the carpet from way back when and just jumping out at random. Don't know where they're coming from. As I was typing this, my roomate hollered "AIIGHT THIS AIN"T FUNNY!" and came in carrying another one. that makes 3 now. This one looks like a human bicuspid, root and all. It was found in the middle of the hallway,

I think if we find enough, I'm going to drill them and make a necklace. Probably last longer than ears. If the dogs drag a skull in from outside, we might have contact...

Want a picture of them? You know what they say - "pics or it didn't happen." I can get pics quick. they're right here in front of me.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Taggart collect anacondas? AHAHAHAHAHA! Neno's gonna eat Taggart's pets! They're like Uktenas - but smaller and less dangerous!

AHAHAHAHHAHA!

I can just see Taggart finding neno missing, going into a panic and assuming that he escaped into the badlands, and sending search parties OUTWARD to find him, completely ignoring the inward, where he is....

As Hannibal of A-Team fame says - "I love it when a plan comes together!"

ETA: here's them teefs. See? I ain't kiddin'! the crown on all 3 is at the top of the photo. The canine tooth on the left had about 3/8 of an inch or so, something under half an inch, protruding from the gumline, going by the polish on it, which doesn't show very well in the photo. Now everyone here is freaking about having a deader in the back yard, so I reckon I'm going to have to go out there and patrol for bodies just to set their minds at ease.

This is the oldest part of the city, the first area of it to be settled, so it has a history. There's the remains of an old slave cabin within sight of the house, but this house wasn't built until the 1940's. The foundation of an older house runs like a barrier across my back yard. I can't see how these teeth are getting dropped into the middle of my floors, though.

Too bad I can't upload the mp3 of the growling spook. Sounds a bit like a short lion roar. It's funny.

posted on Jan, 5 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Sorry about missing off the index stuff... all sorted now.

Must get sorted and back on track!

top topics

<< 300  301  302    304  305  306 >>

join