It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Space Opera Working Thread

page: 305
<< 302  303  304    306  307  308 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Just calling in to say BIAD's wounds will be gone soon and he'll be up
-and-ready for the next step.
Hope everyone is okay and sorry to hear of Silo's problems.
*Hugs*

edit on 8-1-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Weekly "Hell on Wheels" synopsis - Bohannon is in the hot grease again - what's new about that? Swede - "Death" for Space Opera purposes - has sent off a telegram to Washington DC to the Federal Marshall's Office implicating Bohannon in a series of killings back east (Durant called them "murders", but I can't go that route. They looked like justifiable homicides from where I stand), so the Marshalls are coming for him.

I can see Death going a route like that - maybe not actually "scared" of neno, but not having any great desire to tangle with him man to man, so to speak, so going the backstabber route, getting someone else to do the dirty work.

Joseph Black Moon up and killed his own brother to prevent an Indian War.

Tooley came back from the dead, after being shot right in the mouth by Elam Ferguson. Claims that an angel saved him by deflecting the bullet, but he had a big hole in the back of his neck, on the right side, that showed it wasn't deflected quite far enough... Seems he may be another one that just won't stay dead when you kill 'em. Maybe death doesn't like him, either. Do you suppose it's because he's Irish?

The Preacher's evil twin side came out again. Years before, he was involved in the Bloody Kansas unrest along with John Brown, and became a preacher to escape the recriminations from that, and to find his own peace. As often happens, however, a leopard doesn't change it's spots, and he beheaded Lt. Griggs, US Cavalry, with the very Confederate saber that Colin was going to mount in Griggs' fourth point of contact last week. In all honesty, he did it to protect Joseph (whom Griggs meant to kill) and maybe his own daughter, but if it's discovered, they aren't likely to take that into account, all things considered. A preacher, killing a cavalry officer with a saber. Who'dve thunk it? You can't always tell what's on the inside with a quick glance at the outside.

I've noticed, perhaps, something of the same sort of situation manifesting in BIAD in the Space Opera with his recent exercise of that steel spine of his. You just never can tell what's on the inside by looking at the outside.

It was nagging at me that Bohannon reminded me of someone from the real world, and I just couldn't put my finger on who. Last week, my son was watching the show with my sister, and out of the clear blue sky he laughed and said "That's dad, up and down. Same way of expressing things, and even the same expressions. I can't recall how many times I've seen that 'lip-curled glare' on his face." I don't know what a 'lip-curled glare' is, but when I heard that, it dawned on me - the real world folks I knew like that were MY dad - and all his brothers. I reckon it's genetic. I'm starting to see the same thing develop in my son, albeit in a more boisterous package. He's not got the calm that comes with old age yet.

Next week is the last episode of the season, so it's likely to be a hum-dinger. Lots of stuff to wrap up, and there's no telling what sort of cliff-hanger they'll leave to lead into next season. The "40 miles of railroad" was completed this week, but taking the railroad aspect away would fly in the face of the title "Hell on Wheels", so I can't really see that happening, although it might. A railroad going nowhere doesn't seem to be much of an accomplishment, and there's that Golden Spike yet to be driven to link it up with the rails coming from the west.

I'm wondering what Death and Pandora have up their sleeve RE The Caliburn. More importantly, perhaps, is what sort of back-stabbing subterfuge they'll be willing to engage in to get it, and just how that's going to set with neno? Who are their "US Marshalls", and which side will those Marshalls REALLY come out on?

edit on 2012/1/9 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 12:29 AM
link   
A couple of months ago, neno stopped by my workplace, and came inside for a while for rest and to get some water, which I keep in a jug since I've got no running water there. I managed to get a photo of him in my office while we sat and yakked for a while:

He claims he came by all those scars on his face honestly, but I've got my doubts about that. He said he was hunting - something called a "stobor". I've seen lots of critters around there, but no stobors. Wouldn't know one if it came running up to me and bit me - but I'd get to know it in hurry!

I told him that if he was going to be eating squirrels, he ought to swallow the whole thing, and not leave the tails hanging out of the corners of his mouth like that, but he just stared at me like he couldn't figure out what I was on about.

All in all, I think he's a pretty strange one. Not someone I'd want to upset at all.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by nenothtu

...I'm wondering what Death and Pandora have up their sleeve RE The Caliburn. More importantly,
perhaps, is what sort of back-stabbing subterfuge they'll be willing to engage in to get it,
and just how that's going to set with neno?

I agree with your view on Death, he's still smarting from the idea that he -the Big Deal
of All Deals, was beaten up. Death and the others have confidence in the knowledge that
even if Neno discovers (which he has now)... that he's immortal, his upbringing and culture
are 'hard-wired' in and so there'll always be doubt and restraint.

Your true-self will always will act in a 'human-way' and that's what they're counting on.
Death may put the beating down to a one-off event, a vague subconcious voice whispering
through.
But I think the Vandalian will realise that he can utilise this gift to get-where-he's-going.
Jenovah seems to be the God who is easily tricked and it looks like he trusts these two
buggers... but heh, who am I to assume to know the mind of God!

BIAD is slowly finding who and why he is, it's complicated and I think he may even meet
his creator again -along the way. He'll like that.

The kind rescuer is joseph of arimathea and The Opera will meander abit to get BIAD back
on his feet and though it may seem a little odd to begin with, Native American deities will be
entering the fray as well!!

The Image:
Yep... Neno. Weathered and embittered, he'll nod if you pass him in the desert, but cock an
eye at his canteen and he'll knock you out of your keds!

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by A boy in a dress

I took Jenovah to be smarter than that in the initial meeting with him, but as you say, who knows the mind of a god? With any luck, he's just "playing along" while developing another plan to lower the boom later on.

I'm not sure what can really be done against Death - can't remove him, or the universe would pretty rapidly get over-populated, so he has a degree of insurance there.

The appearance of Native American deities is a fascinating thought - there were so many of them, because there are so many tribes, language and culture groups. Even within a tribe or culture group, there was generally a hierarchy of some sort to situate the deities. Among the Shawnees, for example, there was Wishe Manitou, sort of an "uber god" who was at the top of the heap, but he didn't have much to do with day to day operations on the surface. Then there were the mid-level managers, like Cocumthena, the Grandmother, who had more of a hand in the mundane operations of our little rock, and then below that were all the Earth Spirits (Coyote, the Four Thunderers, Beaver, Turtle, etc), smaller in power but greater in numbers.

That's just one tribe, although most of the Algonkians had similar versions.

Then there are the Mexican and Central American tribes, who had a much more developed pantheon. It ought to get interesting! I've always had the impression that different sub-deities held sway over different geographic areas, sort of in the manner of "local gods". This deity would then "hand off" jurisdiction to that one whenever one crossed boundaries.

What a convoluted concept I have, eh?

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

I think it will spice things up abit, here's us down here trying to get
from A to B and up there (or under!)... forces are at work to assist
or stop wahtever plans are afoot.

What a convoluted concept I have, eh?

May I say here and now for the record. I haven't NEVER seen Neno's
concept. That time... that one time at the ATS party, well it's all just a blur
and I can assure anyone reading this, I would have no idea whether it's
convoluted or not.

Sheesh, one two many G & T's and that a thing like that just follows yer'
around.
I said I was sorry to Springer and Co as well.

edit on 9-1-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I have not gone to the story line yet - so this might be mute - but I've got a Neno & Silo/Maggie post I'm trying to edit.
Hope I can post soon so not to hold you up Neno.

posted on Jan, 9 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's not holding me up at all. I'm just batting vague ideas around in my head, and haven't got anything worked up to be held up. post away - maybe it'll be something I can play off of and get kick-started with!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:42 AM
link   
Question for everyone. If someone hasn't the time to post in the Index thread is it ok for the next person coming along to do it for them - or - do you want to stick to posting your own index's? *Turns and pokes Neno*...

By the way when did you add that picture? He's Neno alright. Little longer in the tooth and stach than I remember, but, that's the guy!

peace

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   

The kind rescuer is joseph of arimathea and The Opera will meander abit to get BIAD back
on his feet and though it may seem a little odd to begin with, Native American deities will be
entering the fray as well!!

Okay, team, I have some ideas in mind, and came here first thing to see where we are.

I was surprised by my last, because I thought Adam was with Bridget and Bella, not with Fremen or Fremendroids....I thought he really was in the Avalon Barge...

BIAD, is our red-wrapped friend in Avalon now? Gert is about to direct Dag and Brittle to the portal in Vandalia...Adam is still in the vicinity of Stonehenge. I was going to have Gert show up there and have a little talk with Adam.

Would that be cool?
Also, Brittle needs to be in touch with the Native American deities (something I've been meaning to get to, and was set to once he and Dag are back on topside...). Did your plan include meeting up with him?

Okay, I gotta start these drafts....
I'll check back in a bit.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Hiya Wildtimes... BIAD is still in the environs of Mordred's place, but actually
will be in Avalon very soon. He's gotta few things to 'fix-up' before he can move on...
I'll knock that one up soon.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Hey there! Okay I posted....mentioning BIAD is there, and left it at that. But want you to know it was your post that got my gears linked up...I had been rather adrift there for a couple of days.
What great teammates!!

Yippeee!

Now, as for the Native deities...we need one or two at Fairy Stone Mountain in a couple of days when Dag and Brittle ride in. If they get that far (which I hope they will, and who knows with who all.) I'm thinking Silo, Chums & Co., Neno and Dag are pretty well setup to find one another now...shall they all ride into the portal together? And what about Tibbs and Mucklebones....or are they....at the portal? Fun fun!!

FOR WHENEVER we're caught up in the index:::
writer = wildtimes
Page: 63
Post on Page: 20 The Map is Not the Territory (link not yet inserted)
New NPC: no
New term: no
Pic or tune? no
Brief outline: Dag and Brittle learn about their fathers, and Dag learns the whereabouts and state of mind of Adam. Gert makes a remark about her friends that doesn't seem to fit. Fiona then returns to take Dag and Brittle out of the caves and to meet the outfitters and the horses that will take them to the Vandalian portal to Avalon at Fairy Stone Mountain.

Also, Biad, when I clicked on your Index link to entries 16&17 Hunka-Hunka, it sent me back to page 60 somewhere....
not the the Hunka-Hunka bits....

**Hugs all round!**
edit on 11-1-2012 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by silo13

It's fine to post indexes for me if I miss one for whatever reason.

The picture was taken this past 19 September. That's a 'stache? I thought he'd been swallowing squirrels whole! The lighting was coming in through windows, making it more directional than the other "old guy" photo. That caused the scars to pop out more prominently than the outdoor photos, because the light was raking across them from the sides. It;s a face only a mother could love - every one else wants to beat on it!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

Hiya Wildtimes... BIAD is still in the environs of Mordred's place, but actually
will be in Avalon very soon. He's gotta few things to 'fix-up' before he can move on...
I'll knock that one up soon.

I'm thinking that to "knock up" something may not have the same connotations in the UK as it does in the US...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

NOW I have re-read it and yeah, it means the same here!
To impregnate.. to give one's... BIAD stop it now!
edit on 11-1-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Don't worry your lickle-warrior self... Neno's chill-pills are the best
thing for when this occurs!
BIAD takes 'em by the handful!

I don't know what happened with that link... Pandora up to her tricks,
no doubt!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
There now Adam has been addressed by Gert, and is now adrift in the bog, alone, with no oars....
hm....

writer = wildtimes
Page: 64
Post on page: 2
NPC: no
New term: none
Pic or tune? Pic, but a kind of crap one. Couldn't find what I was looking for.
Brief outline: Gert finds Adam adrift in the bog and reels him in to coach him a bit. Then she vanishes.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Don't worry your lickle-warrior self... Neno's chill-pills are the best
thing for when this occurs!
BIAD takes 'em by the handful!

Do they say this over there?:

Do Who With the What, Now?

What's a lickle? As a lickle-warrior am I a lickle making war, or am a warring against them? What happens if you take the chill-pills...you turn into an eyeless man/girl? I'll pass, thanks.

edit on 11-1-2012 by wildtimes because: BIAD confuses me and my fingers are numb, too....!!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by A boy in a dress

NOW I have re-read it and yeah, it means the same here!
To impregnate.. to give one's... BIAD stop it now!
edit on 11-1-2012 by A boy in a dress because: (no reason given)

From what I've been able to gather watching some British TV shows - and it's just a guess from context - it also means to strike the door of someone being visited sharply with one's knuckles. Such a simple phrase, with so many different meanings!

I'm sure there's a literary lesson in there somewhere!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

Do they say this over there?:

Do Who With the What, Now?

I think the equivalent phrase from my neck of the woods is "shot who with which, now?"

That phrase inevitably devolves into a game of "shot who?", which is a verbal sparring match, generally nonsensical in nature, the objective being to see who can make the least amount of sense involving that phrase...

top topics

<< 302  303  304    306  307  308 >>

join