It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Junk Threatens Space Station!

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   
At least they were prepared for it lol, looks like the debris was a 13-centimetre-wide piece of a spent satellite motor called PAM-D. Interesting..

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ziggystar60

Hey, I liked those images you posted. Especially the second one...

(Determines to go and pick up that book "ring makers")

Edit - Good job with the story Phage!. S&F

[edit on 12-3-2009 by Jay-in-AR]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
it was not space junk, it was a UFO

i will never ever believe in anything NASA says. tell them to bring back the Live Video feed to our TVs without air brushing i want to see space walks RAW i want to hear the guys in space talk RAW without edits !

when this happends ! i will again start listening to these type of people but for now they are just like those in AREA 51.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by aspx
it was not space junk, it was a UFO

i will never ever believe in anything NASA says. tell them to bring back the Live Video feed to our TVs without air brushing i want to see space walks RAW i want to hear the guys in space talk RAW without edits !

when this happends ! i will again start listening to these type of people but for now they are just like those in AREA 51.

Even when NASA was broadcasting live video and audio from the shuttle missions, when something strange occured, either the video would switch to the NASA flight control center in Houston, or the audio would be muted and the video changed to an internal view of the shuttle, or both would get cut off and then a NASA emblem would pop up on the screen with the caption "Technical difficulties, please stand by".

The only way we will get honest and open live video from space is for a private endeavor to launch a satellite with a full 360 degree view camera that is not in any way, shape or form, controlled by or uses any of NASA's space communication systems and tracking systems.

If NASA or government has even .01 percent interest or influence into anything space, we will never get the entire truth, visual or audio wise.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:23 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

It won't take long.
Give it 5 years.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Here is a short video of tracking the debris cloud from 1 of the recently destroyed sats.
Cosmos 2251. I have 457 NORAD radar tracked fragments loaded into Orbitron.

Hope you enjoy.

(click to open player in new window)

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:35 PM
link   
I believe this was more than "they" are letting on. With all the crap floating in space (how can they detect an object 1/3" and not an asteroid; something is fishy) why is this the first time they have ever had to be "evacuated"? There's more to this story!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:41 PM
link   
reply to post by djmontess

5 inches by the latest information.
www.universetoday.com...

With very good radar
USSTRATCOM Space Control and Space Surveillance

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by djmontess
I believe this was more than "they" are letting on. With all the crap floating in space (how can they detect an object 1/3" and not an asteroid; something is fishy) why is this the first time they have ever had to be "evacuated"? There's more to this story!

You can't even begin to compare the two. The object that went by the space station, is in a relatively fixed orbit near the planet. To find an asteroid in space is an extremely difficult job, and they've only scanned a very small area of sky.

Even using a computer finding an asteroid is difficult. They have to take pictures and either scan them manually, or with the computer. Then when they think they found something they have to figure out the orbit, which means taking another picture a few hours later to determine how much it's moved.

The NEAT program that NASA uses at one point was only scanning 12-15 days a month for asteroids. That's a lot more work with such a huge sky to have to scan.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Indeed.

The volume of space in which asteroids reside is very much greater than the volume of space in which satellites (and their debris) reside.

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

I would have thought the ISS would have been a launching pad for any deep space exploration?

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 02:26 AM
link   
I would have to chime in here....

The ISS is in an orbit that was chosen to avoid any known debris.

For those of you worried about your GPS....fear not.

It is truly, truly astonshing how little many know about orbital mechanics.

It is like 'JayWalking' (tm) to the nth power!!!!

EDIT...just in case....'JayWalking' is a term coined by a Late Night Host/comedian, here in the USA, by the name of Jay Leno....his 'bit' is to interview people, on the street, and ask them obvious questions, where they give hilariously stupid answers....in order to be funny.

Sheesh...explaining it actually makes it less funny.....hmmmmmm,

[edit on 3/13/0909 by weedwhacker]

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
reply to post by RFBurns

I would have thought the ISS would have been a launching pad for any deep space exploration?

That was the initial "sales pitch" Reagan used to get approval of the public to support the expense for the ISS..the false sales lead promise of building a launching point to go back to the moon and byond.

Well, plenty of probes sent to Mars and even probes to orbit and take pictures of the Moon never launched from ISS at all.

ISS is basically an orbiting lab, a modern version of SkyLab and MIR. It has cansiter style moduels built by different nations participating in the ISS program. It simply orbits around the Earth, as the crews inside conduct various experiments done many times before on both the previous two space stations, SkyLab and the Russian MIR station, and even experiments that were done on early shuttle flight missions.

It is also a platform to study the long term effects of zero-G on humans....something again which was already done on SkyLab and MIR.

For one thing, we dont need study of zero G on humans because there are various artificial gravity systems that can be used to eliminate that problem, by simply rotating a section of a spacecraft or even a rotating section of the space station. Spin that up to the proper revolutions per minute and you generate an artificial gravity.

IMO, its really nothing more than a few assembled "coke cans" going in endless circles accomplishing things that have already been accomplished decades ago.

Maybe if they put an AG section on that station, and build more sections with AG, turn that thing into the first orbiting tour destination in space, it might then be useful.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 13 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I know that the object is moving at 17500 miles per hour and would cause damage, isn't the ISS also moving that fast. You would think we would build something that may be able to withstand a minor hit on it like this with all that is floating up there. Plus you have meteor showers and micro meteors. They should be safe is it is just minor impact from something as small as that.

What the real shame is that we treat space like a college kid threats his dorm. We just let things lie around and keep it messy. There has to be away to reduce the amount of space junk. We need to clean up our own little part of space. What extra terrestrial is going to want to have to dodge debris to meet us. They don't want to damage their ships.

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Well this is saying the debris was about a centimeter in size. Would a piece of debris that small cause them to evacuate? I wonder how fast it was moving?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by aspx

...sad, but true. NASA probably says some true stuff, but it is a hard work to go through all their manipulations, lies and tricks, so even the science that they could share with us never really reaches us in pure condition. I am not sure about anything any more. The science they taught us at schools is in best case half truth. Which half? How to figure out garbage from true science?

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptGizmo

Quite a bit larger than 1 cm and moving fast. Without knowing the vectors though, we can't know what the closing speed was.

In space, size doesn't matter too much after about 3 or 4 inches. Speed does. The object that put the scare into the space station was probably 5 inches, Matney said. McDowell figures it was even bigger, maybe a foot: "a long thin thing" with a thread or string attached. It was traveling 5.5 miles per second — about 20,000 mph, according to NASA spokesman Josh Byerly.

www.google.com...

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 06:10 AM
link   
Whew...glad they didn't collide.

Thanks again Phage.

Edit to remove more mundane tracking stuff

Peace

[edit on 14-3-2009 by Zeptepi]

posted on Mar, 14 2009 @ 10:22 AM
link   
so what.?

I always hated the retarded ass space station anyhow. I never could understand why they spent any money on that thing rather than building on the moon. I wish they would just put that hunk of junk on e-bay and see what they could get for it. (speaking of space junk.)

And as for the actual space debris, maybe they should send some giant magnetic space roomba around our atmosphere to collect all the garbage. They could call it the moomba.

whatever.

[edit on 14-3-2009 by president]

posted on Mar, 16 2009 @ 02:36 PM
link   
NASA is considering an avoidance maneuver to dodge a piece of Kosmos 1275. They don't know what size the debris is, but it's going to be much closer than the piece of debris that caused them to enter the Soyuz last week. That piece was within about 3 miles, this one will be within a half mile.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join