It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Junk Threatens Space Station!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Lee_K

Moving extremely fast. The relative speeds between objects in different orbits can be huge. There is a report that this object was orbiting a speed of 20,000 mph. The ISS orbits at about 17,000 mph so if they were going in exactly the same direction the closing speed is 3,000 mph. On the other hand if they were going in exactly the opposite directions (head on) the closing speed is 37,000 mph.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Phage]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   
I don't know how they do it, but what I find is the easiest way is to scan an area in front of the ISS to see if there is something on the way, it's safer than just follow the known debris.

PS: I heard about it on the radio, while at work.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Does anyone else remember a few people mentioning that this would happen, and after it does solar flares will kill us. Something along those lines anyway.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fleabit
I wonder at what point they will realize they are doing the same thing in space, that they've been doing on our planet for decades, and start making some policies to regulate space junk.

It's going to be too dangerous to do any manned missions in orbit eventually, if they keep up at this pace.

Just look at these images, it seems almost strange there hasn't been more accidents up there!

LEO stands for low Earth orbit and is the region of space within 2,000 km of the Earth's surface. It is the most concentrated area for orbital debris.

The GEO images are images generated from a distant oblique vantage point to provide a good view of the object population in the geosynchronous region (around 35,785 km altitude). Note the larger population of objects over the northern hemisphere is due mostly to Russian objects in high-inclination, high-eccentricity orbits.

orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov...

NASA is looking at ways to clear Earth's lower orbit of debris, according to this article from last year:

Most of this debris can reach speeds up to 8 kilometers per second, and is made of Jell-O, foam and stainless steel. Such an object more than five centimeters across could spell disaster one day if it hits a spacecraft. "When it's that big, it travels at orbital velocities and it hits something else, it's going to be a bad day," said Nicholas Johnson, program manager and chief scientist of the NASA Orbital Debris Program Office.
Even though the problem originated some time ago and NASA was well aware of it, technical solutions for an eventual clean-up operation are basically inexistent, due to efficiency and cost viability. Hopefully, when the cost will go down we can start thinking about cleaning up the mess we left up there. One of the space cleaning devices proposed by Johnson is the NERF ball, a foamy ball 1.6 kilometers in diameter orbiting through the field of debris.

The idea is that the foam will be able to absorb the energy of the impact and capture the object striking NERF. The problem is that the size and weight of such an object would quickly de-orbit it, to fall back to the surface of Earth.

Lasers have the capability of de-orbiting some of the objects in Earth's lower orbit, but powerful lasers are required for such a job, which not surprisingly are extremely expensive to build.

The trajectory of large space objects could be easily altered by attaching propulsion systems on them, however this would be a selective clean-up, leaving behind smaller objects. Secondly, such a vehicle would be extremely expensive.

These wires attached to spacecrafts could also de-orbit some objects, but they haven't yet been demonstrated in real life experiments, thus have no relevant significance.

news.softpedia.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I am listening but its all quiet? can somebody post which channel your listening to please.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Is the module they're in a more insulated against EMP or radiation than the rest of the vessel, I think the real reason they shifted is because as the other thread on the forum states the magnetosphere is getting battered at the moment by solar winds and NASA are taking precautionary measures but don't want to alarm.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by spitefulgod

They were in Soyuz for a few minutes until the junk passed them.
There is no unusual solar activity. But the solar wind will show some fluctuation tomorrow.
spaceweather.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hey Phage - you were right onto of that this afternoon, seriously man good work

So do you usually listen in on that live feed? Because you were well ahead of any of the news sources. Or did you just happen to stumble across it.

Whatever nice work man! That got my pulse rate up a bit for the 20 mins I followed that live feed.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

The feed is pretty new and I've been listening to it with my coffee (it was morning for me). I couldn't really believe I was hearing what I thought I was hearing and waited a while before posting it.

It was a tense hour. Got my heart going too.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Heard about this on the Beeb (BBC for the americans
) just now... I always seem to miss all the excitment

Anyway... They say that the debris was only about 1cm2 in size... How can they spot that and not an incoming asteroid? :/

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus
Scary stuff, what if the ISS goes down...

It'll set space exploration back decades!

You are not serious are you?

Set back space exploration? Where has the ISS gone to explore space?

Parked up in an endless orbit is NOT exploring space.

Sending men and women back to the Moon and on to Mars and byond IS exploring space.

Sending probes to the other planets IS exploring space...remotely but exploring regardless.

But the ISS....that is nothing more than a repeat of what was already done with SkyLab and Russia's MIR. It is a complete waste of funds that can be put into REAL space exploration efforts.

I for one would like to see this debris smash the ISS to bits, as long as the crews get out in time, its perfectly fine with me. Then all those billions and billions being dumped into endless circles and pointless expensive shuttle re-supply launches can come to an end and that money be put into REAL space exporation that goes BYOND Earth orbit.

So let the crews escape and come home, let the debris smash up the ISS and lets start a REAL space exploration program that should have happend LONG before the ISS was even a back burner thought.

With all those funds already spent on ISS, we could have established Moon bases, Mars colonies, and be exploring our solar system with manned missions. And possibly have begun new space based industries that would have not only saved this world from economic disaster, but would have created millions upon millions of new jobs and industries for all of mankind.

SMASH THE ISS!!! Its time for a REAL space exploration effort. Long overdue.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage

The feed is pretty new and I've been listening to it with my coffee (it was morning for me). I couldn't really believe I was hearing what I thought I was hearing and waited a while before posting it.

It was a tense hour. Got my heart going too.

Isnt it ironic that just begining this video stream from the ISS...suddenly some debris threat comes along.

Talk about timing. Hmm...perhaps all that debris being touted about at the STS 114 thread where I point out that if there is nothing but ice particles and debris up there, that all of it would pose a threat to the shuttles, the satellites AND the ISS.

Whatcha think bout that there Phage???

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Kliskey

USSTRATCOM Space Control and Space Surveillance uses radar to find and track debris in Earth orbit. Compared to the volume of space in which NEO asteroids can be found, Earth orbit is pretty tiny. Still, it's no small task.

While asteroids can be studied with radar, finding them is with it is not really practical.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by ziggystar60

NASA is looking at ways to clear Earth's lower orbit of debris, according to this article from last year:

Ya, they could begin a space junk salvage industry and put people to work.

Oh wait..no they cant...all those workers would see strange objects that NASA has been covering up for decades so they need to use lasers to shoot down debris instead.

Cheers!!!!

[edit on 12-3-2009 by RFBurns]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by RFBurns

Talk about timing. Hmm...perhaps all that debris being touted about at the STS 114 thread where I point out that if there is nothing but ice particles and debris up there, that all of it would pose a threat to the shuttles, the satellites AND the ISS.

What?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Not finding many details, yet.
Here's some...

blog.wired.com...
The crew of the International Space Station spent this morning taking cover in a Soyuz capsule, ready to evacuate in the event of a collision with fast-moving space debris spotted by a tracking system.

According to NASASpaceflight.com, a collision with the object was originally considered to be low risk, but a fresh set of calculations put the astronauts on red alert shortly before it passed them by.

Nancy Atkinson, a Writer for Universe Today, covered the tense evacuation from her twitter feed, "Some people are tracking debris on Google Earth, say it looks like a piece of Iridium satellite."
In the last decade, the ISS has had to make eight "collision avoidance maneuvers" to avoid being hit by large debris, according to a NASA paper on the space station and the orbital debris environment.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Jbird

I can't find any other instances of an evacuation. I think this may be the first time it's been done.

Update, the object was about 5 inches across and passed about 2.8 miles from of the station.
www.universetoday.com...

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Oh dear. We were wrong Chadwickus:

Magnus calmly said she was going to go running, part of the daily exercise routine astronauts must perform in space to maintain muscle mass and bone density.

www.universetoday.com...

I sure feel silly. Just goes to show how easily things can be misinterpreted. I expect we'll be hearing a lot more examples of this with the live feed operational.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by RFBurns

What?

Its quite strange after all this time, no real threat from debris, and now suddenly...after putting up this new video stream from the ISS, that the ISS gets "incomming" which forces the crews to lock down the hatches and go sit in their only escape pod..a Soyuz capsule and wait it out.

Just seems a little too cooincidental and strange timing, plus what we have been discussing over at the STS 114 thread about debris and such posing a threat to shuttles, satellites and the ISS....again an unusual line of timing and cooincidence.

But...I dont believe in cooincidences.

I take it all is quiet now up there.

But if it came this close to happening a first time, it can always happen again a second time, and so on.

I think NASA needs to create a space savlage operation and start putting those shuttles to productive uses and outfit them to carry crews to pick up all this junk and put people to work, dispite what unusual objects are up there. Time to be practical, and not be hiding everything in a drawer.

Otherwise sooner or later, one of them debris is gonna come along from out of nowhere and smash into that thing without any warning and there goes the lives of the crew on board.

I could care less about the hardware, all it does is go around in endless circles, but the lives of the crew are not expendable, and not replaceable.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 08:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Ah well Phage

Keep your ears peeled

And keep up the good work

You shouldve been an astronaut....

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join