It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Junk Threatens Space Station!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
I'm listening to the live feed from the ISS right now.
www.nasa.gov...

There seems to be a piece of space junk which may be on a collision course with the ISS. As a precaution, the astronauts are going to relocate into the Soyuz. I don't think this is a drill.

how do they move from the ISS to safety?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I wonder at what point they will realize they are doing the same thing in space, that they've been doing on our planet for decades, and start making some policies to regulate space junk.

It's going to be too dangerous to do any manned missions in orbit eventually, if they keep up at this pace.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by InfaRedMan

what did steve greer do? why is he a charlatan?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Is this perhaps an excuse to develop/deploy space guns?

1st, a collision of two satellites, then loads more space junk, then a possible collision with the ISS, then a great reason to justify spending billions on more weapons. Star Wars will never be more popular and tax payers will foot the bill once again.

Could this also be a reason to arm the ISS for covert space to ground attacks?

I say the whole collision of those two satellites was planned in the first place!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Elepheagle

I don't think exercise is what she was worried about.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:19 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Hey folks,
first post here.
Here's a news story on the subject:
www.washingtonpost.com...

I think it's interesting that all the visual anomalies / 'orb' phenomenon, in space walk footage is disregarded as 'debris'.

Obviously, as this incident demonstrates, any debris near the space station is a BIG deal, not something they just disregard and ignore.

It's amazing how this stuff goes on.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Not sure if anyone else posted it yet, but they have an all clear now and are returning to the ISS.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by fleabit

I read a science fiction novel more than 10 years ago (can't recall the title or author) which was about exactly this. We essentially trapped ourselves on Earth.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well good catch Phage...

They just got audio back on..."space to ground on 2 normalized"
sounded like they had a Ham radio Sked with some students on the ground a few mins. ago...
So that was a close call..been listening for a while .
Thanks for the heads up Phage

Peace

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by robertnesta

These are the guys who 'couldn't' see a satellite collision coming.

Originally posted by Zot Twady
Hey folks,
first post here.
Here's a news story on the subject:
www.washingtonpost.com...

I think it's interesting that all the visual anomalies / 'orb' phenomenon, in space walk footage is disregarded as 'debris'.

Obviously, as this incident demonstrates, any debris near the space station is a BIG deal, not something they just disregard and ignore.

It's amazing how this stuff goes on.

Pretty much what I'm getting to.
Of course they'd never be UFOs in the traditional sense or anything...

[edit on 12/3/09 by GhostR1der]

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlinkyDFW
reply to post by TH3ON3

If they had a 10 or 20 minute warning, for a one inch piece of metal, then it's obviously not traveling too fast, and probably wouldn't penetrate the skin of the station.

Light from the sun takes 8 minutes to arrive at earth, and it is traveling .... at the speed of light.

What makes you think that 10 or 20 minute warning implies slow given the vast distances involves up there in orbit? It could be going tens of thousands of miles per hour and still take a half hour to get there.

-rrr

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

The window of danger passed at 12:45 p.m., and left the capsule and reentered the space station.

www.foxnews.com...

I'm glad they made it alive. With so much junk up their people are going to have to look for ways to clean it up .. All I can think of is robot satellites that gather all the pieces up in a trash can.

The piece that caused the evacuation was around a third of an inch wide. Going thousands of miles per hour that could have caused the space station to rip apart.

Thanks for the thread and the heads up.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   

reply to post by alienesque

A lifeboat
www.astronautix.com...

cheers...very interesting

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Looks like they have switched frequencies to the private communication channel. It has been 55 minutes and not a word. Guess something is happening up there! I will send them good energy!

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
reply to post by unite_life

Or, nothing is happening. Nothing to phone home about anyway.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:07 PM
link   
11:07 AM HST

They came out of it OK. No impact occurrence.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

reply to post by Elepheagle

The "blue box" (cursor type thingy) was on one of the display panels. The astronaut asked what it was, NASA said "nothing", and cleared it from the display. My guess is that it was the box that had been tracking the junk.

Funny part, right after it got cleared. The astronaut says "good, because I need a run". Ground says "you're free to run". Guess what "run" means.

[edit on 3/12/2009 by Phage]

Why don't you just tell us what run means?
please

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
reply to post by LucidDreamer85

Little Johnny went up to the teacher asking if he could go to the toilet, the teacher replied: only after you recite the alphabet.

Johnny wasn't happy about this but agreed. A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O Q R S T U V W X Y and Z

The teacher asks, Johnny, where's the P?

Johnny replies: RUNning down my leg!

Do you get what they meant now?

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Maybe this is just a silyl question, but how come something so small can cause such a problem? I dont get it. Unless it was moving extremely fast.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join