It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist of the world : Unite!

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
There is no doubt that threads about UFOs and alleged aliens bring the illogical thinkers out of the woods.

But a thread about atheism (versus religion, or not) really brings out the dumbest members of ATS. Even those who call themselves atheists couldn't pass a real atheist test if one were conceived. They have no concept as to why they're atheists and express themselves as do religious believers. I've yet to meet an educated atheist who knows why atheism exists and why religions exist. Haven't seen any on ATS.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Learhoag

If you are really an atheist and you sneeze in public almost everyone will say "God bless you."

This is one thing my family and friends know not to say to me. We need to look deeper into why we say and do the things we do. Generations have passed on 'sayings' and these days people just repeat them without knowing their origins.

The origin of 'god bless you' comes from an even more superstious period. It was thought that when you sneezed, your soul was blown out of your nose for a brief moment thus allowing you to be available for possession. Hence the blessing.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:46 PM
link   

They have no concept as to why they're atheists and express themselves as do religious believers.

Oh, wow, that was good one...

How about I'm born that way

I'm sure that is not satisfactory for those who have god in their life, because gay people are not born gay either, but, hey, it works for me, lol

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   

If you are really an atheist and you sneeze in public almost everyone will say "God bless you."

I'm glad that in my native French this ''god bless'' is not used ... we say ''a tes souhaits'' which I could translate as ''to your wishes'' ... I would like someone to say ''god bless'' to me ... it would surely be the start of a nice debate !

Originally posted by Whisper67
The origin of 'god bless you' comes from an even more superstitious period. It was thought that when you sneezed, your soul was blown out of your nose for a brief moment thus allowing you to be available for possession. Hence the blessing.

I didn't remember that one ... it made me laugh when I first heard that ... and it still do

Salute

[edit on 10-3-2009 by grandnic]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

But a thread about atheism (versus religion, or not) really brings out the dumbest members of ATS. Even those who call themselves atheists couldn't pass a real atheist test if one were conceived. They have no concept as to why they're atheists and express themselves as do religious believers. I've yet to meet an educated atheist who knows why atheism exists and why religions exist. Haven't seen any on ATS.

I beg to differ !

Here is my take on why religions exist.

Humankind as always wanted to have a explanation about the world we live in. When they didn't have the knowledge to explain thunder, lightning and sneezing
they anthropomorphised (sic?) those phenomenon into various gods. When early humans formed into early civilizations, their leaders realized that those gods where a great way of ensuring control over the population. With time, the concept was refined into what we call ''modern religion''. So religion was basically a way to keep control over the masses.

As to the why atheism exist ...

It can be defined as a opposition to the dogmas of religion. As science began to explain a lot of the ''unknown'' people started to have explanation for the thunder and sneezing ... so one by one the myths of religion began to fall. I know that some people thinks that science and religion are not exclusive, I find it hard to reconcile the two. Belief and scientific methods are IMHO opposites.

This is just my opinion on that ... hope I qualify for your ''educated atheist''

Salute

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Oh, I thought this said Artists Of The World...oops, my bad...seriously though! ok bye...

[edit on 11-3-2009 by ArroyoMusic]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
If you are really serious when you state that "...gay people are not born gay..." then you are downright stupid.

Originally posted by 5thElement

They have no concept as to why they're atheists and express themselves as do religious believers.

I'm sure that is not satisfactory for those who have god in their life, because gay people are not born gay either, but, hey, it works for me, lol

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

You have to rely on FAITH to support your conclusion that god does not exist. That's right, I said FAITH. I have faith in the FACT that no one really knows if there is a god.

Dude I'm sure we already did this,

Faith = believing in something without evidence

the opposite would be =

Not believing something with evidence . DUH ???????

There is no evidence for the reality of what I don't believe ie I don't suffer delusion.

Please try to wrap your mind around that, your logic strains credulity

[edit on 11-3-2009 by moocowman]

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Just for clarification:
Opposite of: believing something without evidence is
Not believing something without evidence.
Opposite of: Not believing something with evidence is
Believing something with evidence.
Not beliving something with evidence is also faith by the way.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

Why not call for people of the world to unite. Why cause division? Isn't their enough "stupidity" causing "division" right now? Your call does nothing to help the divisions that separate us. Divided we will fall, so find something that will bring all people together....like a call for humility, love, compassion, doing some good things to help others.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I don't know why atheists bother expressing anything about religion at all.
If we accept atheism and accept there is no G*D and we are instead experiencing a determanistic reality ruled by the nature of the universe and not a G*D, then that very nature, its laws and rules, its parameters etc have determined religion as being a logical aspect of existence expressed by humans. It has determined that our processes as humans would arrive at religious beliefs inspired by a G*D as an expression and as a consequence of cause and effect. So I can consider these religious beliefs as being entirely natural. Along with atheism.
What you would then be argueing about is that nature itself, which has also seen the logic of atheism, is wrong in inspiring religion via the processes involved in humans, if as an atheist you were critical of religion. If this is the case then Atheism may also be wrong as an expression of nature via the processes of humans. Religious believers would avoid this conundrum by believing that G*D is responsible, Atheist are stuck pondering how nature could be wrong in its processes given each expression is a direct result of natures processes.

So while you may deny the existence of G*D, it is also moronic to argue that a belief in G*D is illogical as there must be a cause for this and a logic in its expression, as from an atheistic persective the very prescence of religion is an obvious aspect of the fabric of reality, an expression of nature itself regardless of any actual G*D existing. Of course this moronic behaviour is not applicable to the logic of a believer who accepts a G*D existing, as nature has intended that they believe. Atheist are stuck as describing an effect of nature and its laws as being wrong by criticising religion in any way. Atheist just have to accept religion as it is, as being logical in nature as it is simply and purely a fact of existence.
Religion, purely as an expression of nature, can attack atheist logic because believers accept G*D as determining their existence and not nature, this attack on atheists logic is in and of itself justified as defending nature because atheism is attacking the logic of nature when any atheist criticizes religion, religion that is expressed by human processes determined by nature, its laws and parameters.

To unite atheist would be destructive, its originating perjorative epithet was applicable to any individual or belief that was in conflict with established religions. To establish it as a belief, say by uniting all those who describe themselves as atheist, makes it a religion.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
reply to post by moocowman

Just for clarification:
Opposite of: believing something without evidence is
Not believing something without evidence.
Opposite of: Not believing something with evidence is
Believing something with evidence.
Not beliving something with evidence is also faith by the way.

Hang on

Believe , opposite (as to be opposed to) = not believe

Evidence , opposite = no evidence

When you are found not guilty of a crime you are freed by the judge because of lack of evidence, not because he believes you are innocent.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by John Matrix
[Why not call for people of the world to unite. Why cause division? Isn't their enough "stupidity" causing "division" right now? Your call does nothing to help the divisions that separate us. Divided we will fall, so find something that will bring all people together....like a call for humility, love, compassion, doing some good things to help others.

This was my first thread, as I stated earlier in it, the choice of title for the thread was not very good. I wanted something catchy that would provoke a discussion, I that aspect it wasn't so bad. The last thing I want is to be an atheist ''church'' of some kind.

You are right by saying that the world should unite, that we don't need another division. But I think that the first step toward uniting the world is getting rid of the dogmas of organized religion. If everyone where to worship, or not, in private, the world would be better off. Think about all the division over the years, all the different ''faith'' believing in basically the same thing but who fight each other.

Salute

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by atlasastro

To unite atheist would be destructive, its originating perjorative epithet was applicable to any individual or belief that was in conflict with established religions. To establish it as a belief, say by uniting all those who describe themselves as atheist, makes it a religion.

Ironically for those who are part of the skeptic society, this gets a little fuzzy. For I have family members who are "active evangelical atheists" who are members and pass out information to anyone they can, which certainly reminds me of my former days as a Christian.

Here is a definition of religion (excluding ones that tie into God) that I have posted a few times on ATS and shall again:

Religion: a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe...a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects...something a person believes in and follows devotedly..."

Almost anything can fit into this definition, including atheism.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
Constantly repeating myself...

Every single human is born an atheist in that infants' brains contain no beliefs. Those are embedded during the growing up period depending on the religiousness of the parents or the lack of religiousness.

I grew up in a catholic household but I didn't become a catholic because no preaching nor bible thumping took place. I was forced to go to church but I went unaccompanied and whatever took place inside the church didn't get to me and so I didn't become brainwashed or mental-conditioned. Actually, the whole idea behind catholicsm made me laugh because they talked a good game but I never saw nor heard anything from god nor jesus. What I was hearing were impossibilities because it wasn't visible in my world.

Then after becoming a hypnotist and learning about the mind and the work of cult deprogrammers it was simple to understand why people become believers. Couple that with research into the bible and the judeo/christian religion and how foolish the whole thing is one can clearly see that one is NOT born with any kind of religious beliefs.

posted on Mar, 11 2009 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Your take on why religions exist is almost correct except to add that fear was the main factor. Gods have to feared in order to continue "their" control over the weak-minded populace. Still goes on today.

As to why atheism exists you're nowhere near reality. Atheism exists only because believers are mentally-conditioned. It's that simple. Here's why: mental-conditioning results in beliefs. A hypnotist can make a subject believe almost anything simply by convincing the subject through repetitious suggestions to see something that isn't there and to not see something that is there.

You can see religious mental-conditionig every waking hour of the day as you watch movies, tv, read the media, etc. Children are always being told unbelieveable things but their impressioable minds cannot counter the barrage with any kiind of logic, common sense or reason.

Cult deprogrammers will be the first to tell you how difficult it is to break the barrier that allows the mind to replace beliefs with common sense, logic and reason. For the believers these don't exist and they are easily swayed to accept myths and legends and to commit suicide en masse.

The latest religious b.s. is that one is born with religious genes, brain cells, etc. The believers love that kind of confirmation while the educated atheist cringes.

You can thank Cristoforo Columbus for decimating races in the name of god and jesus and instilling fear in the survivors to believe in his b.s. god or else. If it wasn't for him and the others that followed the minimalist judeo/christian religion would never have left the mediterranean area and earth's inhabitants would have made progress to dream about. As it is, mental progress is stunted because religion has a hold as good as an octopus.

Originally posted by grandnic

I beg to differ !

Here is my take on why religions exist.

Humankind as always wanted to have a explanation about the world we live in. When they didn't have the knowledge to explain thunder, lightning and sneezing
they anthropomorphised (sic?) those phenomenon into various gods. When early humans formed into early civilizations, their leaders realized that those gods where a great way of ensuring control over the population. With time, the concept was refined into what we call ''modern religion''. So religion was basically a way to keep control over the masses.

As to the why atheism exist ...

It can be defined as a opposition to the dogmas of religion. As science began to explain a lot of the ''unknown'' people started to have explanation for the thunder and sneezing ... so one by one the myths of religion began to fall. I know that some people thinks that science and religion are not exclusive, I find it hard to reconcile the two. Belief and scientific methods are IMHO opposites.

This is just my opinion on that ... hope I qualify for your ''educated atheist''

Salute

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
There is no evidence to suggest the origin of our universe, yet theists claim to have narrowed it down somehow. Interesting that they would have narrowed in down on the basis of faith alone.

You had a 'lil typo, so I fixed it for ya

No typo. If someone claims the universe was not created by God, they are claiming to have an idea of how the universe was created. Therefore, an atheist position requires just as much faith as a theist position.

Atheists claim they believe the universe was not created by God. Therefore, they claim to have some idea of how the universe was created. But they really have no idea. I don't see how free thinking will cause someone to see evidence that simply is not there.

I'm agnostic from a purely logical world view.

posted on Mar, 12 2009 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

Atheist of the world...which one?

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join