It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist of the world : Unite!

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hello everyone, my first thread here, so please be nice.

First of all, I live in eastern Canada just north of the US. I was raised in the catholic religion, but soon realized that I didn't need any of this to lead a happy, normal, moral life. In Quebec where I live, religion is a very private thing. It was not always the case, the catholic religion was very strong here until the '50-'60's. Now, maybe because of the influence of the US it is making a come-back.

For the last 8 years at least, I was under the impression that religion was of the uttermost importance in public. I was talking with a friend of mine who is living is the states near the rockies. He is an atheist like me and he was afraid \ ashamed to talk about is absence of belief.

While I was under the impression that the US was kind of a theocracy during the 8 years of Bush, this headline grabbed my attention.

''Most religious groups in USA have lost ground, survey finds''

www.usatoday.com...

During the campaign, I think religion played a very important role. Why would American care if their president is baptist, mormon, jew or a believer in the pink unicorn ? Is it the influence of Obama who acknowledged atheist in is inaugural speech ? Is it really happening because from up-here, it doesn't look like religion is loosing ground. I recently saw ''Religolous'', the movie by Mayer it was great but I suspect it didn't get the attention it should. Are the atheist in the US still stigmatized ? Is it only in the ''bible belt'' ?

Well, as a non-american, I would like to have your view on this, your opinion?
I understand this is a very sensitive topic for a lots of folk. While I am atheist, I won't judge anyone on their belief, it is personal.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I'm with ya'...

But, we may need to keep a few of the 'believers' in the bull pen...there are actually bigger evils out there than them.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

you are stating that the religion (or lack of it) should be personal issue. and you title your thread "Atheists unite!"??!

as a Catholic I do not call for any religious "movements". as you said, it is personal. and let is stay so.

but you will see on your thread a lot support I belive. I have no idea why there is so much hate toward people with any religious belifes.

and "come back"? when the troubles are on the way (and it is hard to be blind on it) more and more people is turning toward the God.

at the end, please do not take my post as an offence in any way. I just find the title unproper to the sense of the thread.

take care

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Sorry but i am not allowed to be a part of a group that is willing to accept me as a member.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   
reply to post by chapter29

I just loooove your picture. I got into an argument with a scientology guys a few week ago at a ''flea market'' he was trying to introduce my girlfriend to the crap of dianetics ... I just jumped on the occasion to try to debunk his things. I told him about Hubbard and the crap he wrote... it was very funny, but the lady in the booth beside him took me apart and told me he was getting very upset and he was sometime violent ... I promised him that i'll be back. Now I read that those scientologist will fund with 4 million $ a new church in my magnificent city of Quebec ... I'll keep a eye on them

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Nope, it's not just the bible belt, it's the corn belt as well. I would consider myself more of agnostic teetering on athiest. I too had a Catholic upbringing. I did 12 years in Catholic school. It's been a long journey since that time. Too long to go into here - wouldn't want to bore you guys
I usually keep my views on this subject just to my profile page.

My home decor is a little, okay a lot, on the dark side. After I had one neighbor over, they wouldn't let their children play with my daughter anymore and I also received an anonymous 'Bible Tales' for children in the mailbox. It's spread to the rest of the neighborhood too. We are certainly the outcast and that's fine by me but, it upsets me for my daughters sake. I won't conform just to appease them.

It never fails, I draw believers to me on a regular basis. I could be at the park, in the mall wherever and I get approached by believers. When I point out the historical inconsistancies, the way the christians placed their holidays next to existing pagan holidays to convert the masses I'm faced in return with a blank face or one filled with horror. These people won't even consider these facts or even research on their own. That is my true my hope. I didn't go seek them out but when approached, I will gently and with respect give my opinion.

I bought and watched that movie this weekend too. Even true believers should watch it with an open mind then go see if they debunk any of the facts that are presented. Bill Maher came to Indy a few years back. I went to the show and I think there may have only been 30 other people in the audience. I couldn't believe he came to a 'red' state.

It disturbs me there is so much hating going on both sides of the argument here on ATS. As you said, this is a personal, emotional topic. I wish it could be discussed with more decorm. For me, when I see religious topics on ATS - I just stay away. I'm very passionate about my views too and I don't see that anything I have to say about it one way or the other will change anyones mind. Instead, it would just paint a target on my back. After watching Mahers movie and his call to us to stand up, I started putting my toe in a bit here. I just try to stay to what I see as truth, no personal barbs. But honestly, I never post till I read through the whole thread (try that on the Yellowstone thread whew!) and more often then not, I can't get through it. Just the hate and the self rightousness is too much for this ATSer.

Thanks for your thread.

[edit on 3/9/2009 by Whisper67]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

I just find the title unproper to the sense of the thread.

You seem to get offended quite easily...

The subject matter on this site may be to abrasive for you...

Try here...

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Ah! A possible convert!

Be sure to check out this great site: How forgetting about Jesus can change your whole life!

Or better yet this one: Principia Discordia
And this nice foreword by Kerry Thornley, Mastermind of the Kennedy Assasination

Discordiansim is a good religion, because it does not force you to abandon previous beleifs. Also, there are only 5 commandments to follow, and they make a whole lot more sense!

1) Eating hot dog buns is prohibited, except on Friday -when it is compulsory.

2) Stepped on cockroaches will earn you no points with our Blessed Saint Gulik.

3) You must discipline yourself under a certified Slackmaster until you are capable of drinking beer and watching television with total concentration.

4) All bowling alleys are sacred to Discordians and, if necessary, you must give your life to protect them from desecration. (if anyone ever decides to desecrate bowling alleys)

5) Finally, you must not rest until all the sheep are brought into the fold (when we convert all the sheep we are going to the dogs, then wolves, goats and, at the annoited hour, human beings.)

[edit on 200939 by Carlthulhu]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by czacza1

Give the dude a brake it's his first post.

but you will see on your thread a lot support I belive. I have no idea why there is so much hate toward people with any religious belifes.

You just don't choose to get it do you ? No one is hating you(ie xtians) it's what you do.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by chapter29
reply to post by czacza1

I just find the title unproper to the sense of the thread.

You seem to get offended quite easily...

The subject matter on this site may be to abrasive for you...

Try here...

I just fell for the link, you got me

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1

you are stating that the religion (or lack of it) should be personal issue. and you title your thread "Atheists unite!"??!

as a Catholic I do not call for any religious "movements". as you said, it is personal. and let is stay so.

and "come back"? when the troubles are on the way (and it is hard to be blind on it) more and more people is turning toward the God.

at the end, please do not take my post as an offence in any way. I just find the title unproper to the sense of the thread.

take care

No offense taken.

I realize that the title may be misleading, I wanted something ''catchy''. English is my second language, if you have a suggestion i'll gladly hear it.

My thread was about the contradiction of the way I perceived religion in the US and the that article from the USAtoday about religion of all denomination loosing ground.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   

forget it. nice greetings

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Atheist of the world : Unite!

To start a crusade or to create a religion?

Religions and their followers are in sort of tide-like relationship. When allegorical "moon" is in the right place there are a lot of followers. When this social? factor does not affect the people then there is a decrease in strict followers.
Just like other things in life - cycles,ying-yang,or whatever.
Take beginning of 20th century - majority of religions took a hit and lost a lot of followers. Then it slowly turned around.
And by the way - i personally fear "united atheists" more then most fanatical fundamentalists.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

feeling better?

I just wonder how old are you and your fellow friend?

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Carlthulhu

While Discordianism look great, I am more inclined toward the Invisible Pink Unicorn (blessed be Her hoofs)

It's more funny when I try to convert ...

"Ph'nglui mglw'nafh C'thulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn,"

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

reply to post by moocowman

feeling better?

I just wonder how old are you and your fellow friend?

don't be silly, I'm not the one with invisible friends, but there again that's not technically true is it? as the only evidence I have of them is some words they are alleged to be typing here.

Christ dude I could qualify as an xtian at this rate, I now demand that all secular/atheist posters replace their avatars with their actual photograph to prove to me I'm not deluded.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by moocowman
I now demand that all secular/atheist posters replace their avatars with their actual photograph to prove to me I'm not deluded.

The picture I use as an avatar is me, getting out of the water after a dive last winter.

By the way, I realized a few days ago that this picture of my face, in a triangle, with the three lights on my head ... reminded me of the symbol of the illuminati ... the all seeing eyes ... the all-seeing camera in my case.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
[edit on 10-3-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   

I guess because 'we' have been inundated by religion throughout our lives and through observation (and sometimes participation) have come to realise what a 'cancer' it is....see the case of the pregnant 9 year old girl in Brazil as an example.

Originally posted by czacza1"come back"? when the troubles are on the way (and it is hard to be blind on it) more and more people is turning toward the God.

Ah, but they're not. There are pockets where this is happening, but it's not a prevalent happening. It's more that people are realigning their faiths towards fundamentalism (away from the 'mainstream' sects) than any great increase in numbers....at least here in New Zealand.
People are just making more noise about it rather than physical numbers increasing.

[edit on 9-3-2009 by aorAki]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I agree...

You should try and find other people that have the same beliefs of atheism as you do and then since you will probably want to talk about it you will need to setup a meeting. I hear most people have Sunday off so maybe that will work as a good day. At some point you will cover many good topics with great insight and maybe you will want to remember them so make sure somebody rights them down into a book that can be shared with new members. You probably wont want people to misunderstand your beliefs and want it to be available to a broad group so maybe turn those ideas into stories that can be shared very easy. The last thing you may way to do is try and get other people of different religions to now believe in what you do and show them the error of their thinking.

That will show those dang Christians/Catholics/Muslims and all the rest.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join