It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheist of the world : Unite!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by czacza1
I have no idea why there is so much hate toward people with any religious beliefs.

There is no HATE.

Hate attribute is invented by YOU to make the fight against Atheism more justifiable...

It is an ignorance ya all have towards us who do not believe which is making us uncomfortable.

But ya all cannot help it, after all, you are the Borg, and we, a puny minority, cannot and should not resist the assimilation.

No, there is no HATE, really, just a whole lot of disappointment

[edit on 9-3-2009 by 5thElement]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:01 PM
link   
I'm an atheist ^_^ And Religulous was amazing, I saw it in theaters twice. Once with my mom and once with my boyfriend.

Well, let's see. In the Southern states like where my boyfriend lives, people are much more religious than up North. Actually, people are really just much more Christian. Not even Catholic. Not really. Just all those other sects, no synagogues, no mosques, not really. People don't really come out and say it down there because they can be ostracized from the community.

Here, in the Northeast, I think that more people are open about atheism. Or just non-affiliation in general. I mean, yes, there are lots of flag-waving, gun-holding, Christ-loving people around here (like my ex's family) who looked down on you if you were anything BUT Christian. And sometimes Lutherans and Catholics get at odds against one another.

I know that where my boyfriend lives, they don't really teach evolution. They avoid the topic. Everyone goes to church and it's just how things are. They have prayer and bible study groups during free periods at school.

Here, I think people are starting to look down upon that. People go to Catholic school here because it's a better education, generally, or just to prevent the students from going to public school. But many people go to church to be part of the community there. In terms of the actual religion, some people will say that they are Christian but don't know why they are other than the fact that their parents were, and have never questioned it or anything.

But generally if I tell people that I don't believe in God or a creator or whatever, they either go "Yeah religion is dumb and ruining the earth" or go "Oh... well I'll pray for you."

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Atheist as a group are not growing even though more people are leaving the churchs.

As a group Deism is the only one growing in the US as many more people are leaving organized religion but still believe in a god.

The only thing Deist have not done is get the word out that we exist to those that have left organized religion.

This would let more people identify as Deist when they found out we were out there.

www.deism.com...

we are a old belief but one of the few that change with the times.

A christian Deist

deistalliance.org...
naturesgod.org...

[edit on 9-3-2009 by ANNED]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 09:39 PM
link   
As a Strong Atheist, I am under no delusion about god.

My concern here is that a call to unite atheists into a group, may have a tendency toward Evangelical Atheism. Is the gathering of people under a belief system the definition of church, an almighty blunder? (Pun intended.)

While it is for atheism to provide the moral certitude that religion has failed dismally to provide (see this thread for recent example) I would resist any move to unite.

We as atheists must accept, however tacitly that belief in god is a psychosis of the majority.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Let me tell you how it is all across America religion-wise from an atheist's point of view: it sucks!

America is controlled by the judeo/christian religion with other factions that are not as controlling as the j/c. Remember, it's a JEWISH bible talking about things that were not true (old testament) and things that are not supported by historical fact/evidence (new testament).

1-Politics are religion driven. The person being sworn to serve as the next President swears on a bible instead of a copy of the Constitution. The Government employs a lot of religious rituals and employees.

2-The Police is religion driven. You can see them guarding churches & temples and they employ a lot of religious rituals.

3-The courts are religion driven and all court rooms have "IN GOD WE TRUST" on the wall above the judge's bench and you have to swear on the bible and say "So help me God."

4-The Fire Departments are religious driven and use a lot of religious rituals.

5-The military branches are religion driven. It would be very difficult for an atheist to endure military service if it was known he/she is an atheist.

6-The public schools are hanging in there without being controlled by religion but that doesn't stop the religious from trying to convert the use of schools for their nefarious means and what is taught.

7-The media is religion driven. No newspaper is interested in anything you have to say if it's against religion regardless of how right you may be. Newsweek and TIME are leaders in religious publshing plus the major and minor newspapers.

8-President George H. W. Bush (1989-1993) called atheists non-American including soldiers who swore to protect the U.S.

9-The U.S. Government supplies the Vatican trillions of taspayers' money and spends a hell of a lot taxpayers' money on religious issues.

And on, and on.

The best "offense" an atheist can mount is to be a highly-educated person so that you can always better a religious person in religious arguments for the religious do not understand that they are religious slaves and are not operating with their brain/mind 100%. They belong to whatever religion has slaved them.

Religion has no basis in fact or in history, it is all a house of cards.

If you are really an atheist and you sneeze in public almost everyone will say "God bless you." Normally, you would say "Thank you." But if you are an outspoken atheist and reject their "God ..." these "good" christian will turn on you like there's no end. I usually say, "No thanks, I don't need blessing from a mythical being." Just made an enemy!

BTW, atheists of the world will never unite, too dangerous.

Long live Madalyn Murray O'Hair!

reply to post by grandnic

[edit on 9-3-2009 by Learhoag]

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Sorry but i am not allowed to be a part of a group that is willing to accept me as a member.

YES. I feel ya on that one, man.

I actually believe that Atheists are just as confined by their beliefs as Christians are concerning god. It is just as arrogant to presume that there is no god as it is to presume that your faith has the only way to reach the amorphous concept that is god.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 12:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept

My concern here is that a call to unite atheists into a group, may have a tendency toward Evangelical Atheism. Is the gathering of people under a belief system the definition of church, an almighty blunder? (Pun intended.)

While it is for atheism to provide the moral certitude that religion has failed dismally to provide (see this thread for recent example) I would resist any move to unite.

You're right, the last things I want as an atheist is to give my sunday and/or money to some organization. What happened in Brazil with that poor girl gave me the best reason to despise organized religion. Hope it will open the eyes of some to all the evil the churches are commiting.

The basis of my title was not really for atheist to ''unite'' under one movement, but it was more like unite ''under this tread''. I wanted to hear different point of view from where you're from. Because the way I see it, seems harder for some to be a non-believer. I am lucky, in Quebec where I am from, we had to throw the clergy away in the 50's. They where ''all-powerfull''. Now, religion is making a comeback, but I hope that we will be mature enough as a society to let that pass. I watched the W years with despair, and now our premier in Canada, Harper, is not really that different from Bush.

We as atheists must accept, however tacitly that belief in god is a psychosis of the majority.

I just liked this quote.

Thank you all for your comments ... read you in the morning

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

I actually believe that Atheists are just as confined by their beliefs as Christians are concerning god. It is just as arrogant to presume that there is no god as it is to presume that your faith has the only way to reach the amorphous concept that is god.

Sorry dude, I'm not confined by my beliefs as I have no belief how in hell is that that confining me?

I presume that there is no flying spaghetti monster because no one has proved there is such a thing, what in gods name is arrogant about that may I ask?

I presume the center of the earth is not made of mashed potato, is this equally as arrogant ?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
reply to post by grandnic

I think religion IS losing ground and I think it's probably a good thing. Not because it's evil, but because people clinging to dogma and forming groups causes war. I don't have a problem with religion except for the "you must agree with my beliefs" part.

And I gotta tell ya - I'm really uncomfortable with the title of this thread.
"uniting" people of like minds just forms groups who think alike and that's why religion is in the shape it's in. Because too many people think, "Our way is right and your way is wrong". And that causes friction and war.

To each his own. If we agree, fine. If not, fine. But I have little in common with other Atheists and have no desire to unite with them.

Welcome to ATS!

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by moocowman

Well, you can't very well prove that god does not exist, either. You have to rely on FAITH to support your conclusion that god does not exist. That's right, I said FAITH. I have faith in the FACT that no one really knows if there is a god.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
reply to post by daeoeste

Well, you can't very well prove that god does not exist, either. You have to rely on FAITH to support your conclusion that god does not exist.

Correct me inf I'm wrong, faith is believing in something in the absence of evidence correct ?

So you are saying that the observation that there is no evidence of something that someone else has faith in, is in fact believing in something without evidence?

Hm, seems like mental gymnastics to me totally not getting any sense there, try is simple analogy we both may understand what your'e trying to sat then.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by mithrawept
As a Strong Atheist, I am under no delusion about god.

Its equally or more valid to say you are the one suffering from delusional psychosis. Unless you can explain how the universe was created or even offer a hint at how it was created, I see no reason why you should be so confident of your shot in the dark.

Its very difficult for me to understand atheism. Atheists proudly state how much everything they believe is based on evidence. But then there is no evidence showing how the universe came into existence. So it is understandable to me why Christians many times view atheism as religion. I mean, it is a faith-based belief.

There is no evidence to suggest the origin of our universe, yet atheists claim to have narrowed it down somehow. Interesting that they would have narrowed in down on the basis of faith alone.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by truthquest]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
There is no evidence to suggest the origin of our universe, yet theists claim to have narrowed it down somehow. Interesting that they would have narrowed in down on the basis of faith alone.

You had a 'lil typo, so I fixed it for ya

Saying "simply" that God did it does not mean that you have an objective answer, it means that you have an answer which supports preconception that God is there and real, that he created the universe, us to worship him and receive a " free" gift of eternal life.

What happens with progress of the human thought when it has the same answer for every single question ?

Of course, giving away your free thinking is "small price" for the most awesome thing ever, surviving your own death

But, what about us, the non-chosen ones, who do not want this awesomeness ?

See, we can thinker about all possible possibilities till the end of time, without FEAR of being "punished" for it, and I have to admit this, it is indeed truly liberating

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthquest
[Its very difficult for me to understand atheism. Atheists proudly state how much everything they believe is based on evidence. But then there is no evidence showing how the universe came into existence. So it is understandable to me why Christians many times view atheism as religion. I mean, it is a faith-based belief.

There is no evidence to suggest the origin of our universe, yet atheists claim to have narrowed it down somehow. Interesting that they would have narrowed in down on the basis of faith alone.

While we may not know for sure how the universe was created, scientist have a few theories that make more sense than saying the universe was created by a bearded man sitting on a cloud. Science is the first one to assume that we don't know everything. But science as devellopped a method over the years to submit a theorie, to test it, to analyse the test, to repeat them and to change that hypothesis. It is called the scientific method, and it should be thaught in class at a very young age. I taught it to my daughter and she understand the concept.

Religion on the other hand take for truth what was written thousands of years ago, changed a lot of time for various (often political) reasons, translated and retranslated into various languages... and they take that for the truth.

While the big bang hypthesis for the creation of the universe is far from perfect, it is the best explication we have now. The scientist claim to have some proof of that. Unless we are scientist and claim to understand astrophysics, quantum mecanics and advanced mathematics, we laymen cannot really understand those theories. But since it is largely accepted as truth by those who know those subject, who are we to question the very basis of science.

Then again, if you choose to not accept science, it is your right. But religion over the years as shown they can't accept any other view of the world and try to indoctrinate everybody that don't believe the same things that they do. Just look at all the various denomination of the christian faith.

No offense

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Hi out there ! In my opinion there must be many non-believers who are also , by nature "non-joiners " and therefore unwilling to take part in any form of co-operative . I'm sure there are also many church goers who just go through the motions for the sake of family or friends and are non-believers at heart . It's a nice idea though ! lol , longdog.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I would be agnostic more than anything.

Also, one reason I hate Christianity in the first place is because of the "grouping" of it.

Just thinking of an atheist church is even more disgusting than practically any other religion.

All I ask of people is to follow the simple morals of life, such as respect, don't steal, no unnecessary violence, yadda yadda.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:18 PM
link   
Although I didn't want to ''unite'' atheist into anything else than this thread ... the English had that same idea. While I was looking at the article provided by another thread, I found this one.

www.independent.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
There is another article in the independant that is fascinating and pretty relevant to this thread. A thread as been created about that article about Belief in religion and part of the brain.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeoeste

Originally posted by DrumsRfun
Sorry but i am not allowed to be a part of a group that is willing to accept me as a member.

YES. I feel ya on that one, man.

That is profound and something for hard core atheist and christains to think about. The fact is nobody knows for sure including myself. I have a challenge for any religous person or atheist, give me a logical reason to beleive either idea without qouting religous text?

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by mithrawept

My concern here is that a call to unite atheists into a group, may have a tendency toward Evangelical Atheism. Is the gathering of people under a belief system the definition of church, an almighty blunder? (Pun intended.

Very true especially since "Pope" Dawkins (as his peers and critics address him) is actively evangelizing his faith beliefs. He hopes that God believers will become atheists after reading his "God Delusion" book. A prime example of an atheist using science to promote his beliefs.

I'm sorry, he didn't have the cajones in philosophy to alter my thinking one iota. But then again, I am not religious and am against religion, but believe in a power with consciousness.

So it is true, I believe, that religion is going down, and will even more so as the world falls apart. But the belief in a higher power I don't think is lessening at all. Most like myself don't need the crutch and hypocrisy that religion exudes.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join