It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:36 PM
link   
(source: BBC)

According to intelligence, the 32 Sovereign Movement (political wing of the Real IRA) has received beneficial finance from the United States...

....so much for the War on Terrorism

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Will the UK now blanket bomb with white phosphorus? launch a massive air assault? and kill anything that looks like a terrorisy?

or will they use other means to deal with this?

oh and i think a few people need to learn the history of the troubles - especially since the british were actually protecting the catholics from the protestants at the start.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSilentProtagonist

A recognised code-word is used to verify the caller is from the organisation they say they're from.

Otherwise anybody could phone up and blame it on a terrorist grouping.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I am still waiting for the news of Real IRA link with Al-qaeda.That will make my day.

One thing for sure though,if these attacks continue than the british will have to pull troops out from iraq and afghanistan.The two soldiers who died would have never thought that they would get killed near their home before they went into action in afghanistan.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by merkava
I am still waiting for the news of Real IRA link with Al-qaeda.That will make my day.

So, you think terrorism is utterly hilarious then?

I think inept is the word I am looking for

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by budski
reply to post by andy1033

That's because it doesn't get reported in the UK MSM - many people in the UK are still ignorant of the cross border raids into the south that happened frequently in the 70's, 80,s and 90's.

The SAS offshoot known as the DET was mainly responsible for providing intel to other SAS units which then mounted cross border raids on another sovereign nation, namely the republic.

And have you forgotten why those cross-border raids took place? Because the IRA would use the South as a safe haven. They would run over the border to escape the consequences of their actions in the North. There was also the seperate issue of armaments caches and bomb making factories being located in the south for exactly the same reason. The IRA were the first to abuse the neutrality of the South, forcing the British to follow suit.

In a more modern context, picture Al Queida launching terror attacks on US cities in Texas, then bolting over the border to Mexico. Or sitting in Mexico planning attacks on Arizona. Would you scream "injustice!" if American law enforcement agencies secretly slipped over the border in pursuit?

As for the topic of this thread, the attack at the military base, I'd like to hope that over the past decade we've seen a new maturity in Ireland which will act as a buffer to stop this most recent action triggering a new decade of Irish terrorism. We've come a long way in those 10 years. I have faith the majority of the Irish populace understand that, and will keep a firm grasp upon peace.

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Motorhead]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:07 PM
link   
double-post, sorry

[edit on 8-3-2009 by Motorhead]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Motorhead

I know exactly why the raids took place, and what you are saying doesn't make them any less illegal under international law - there is also the fact that many PIRA members were from the south.

Just more bullying of the Irish government by the british government - it was never done with the permission of Dublin, and that contravenes all sorts of treaties.

Why the hell should ANYONE obey international law if the major countries just break it at will.

[edit on 8/3/2009 by budski]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   
The Irish Government sure as hell didnt bother hunting the terrorists who were holed up or living on their soil .... many wanted terrrorists lived openly across the border in the south

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by andy1033

Originally posted by The_Coo
Lets hope these scumbags dont get away with these sickening terrorist murders ....

How many murders have the english commited in n ireland, even since so called peace. You ignorant statement really adds alot to the thread.

andy, you really need to take a long look at yourself.

Most recent reports state that the shooters shot the 6 unarmed men, before walking over to two of the injured and shooting them execution-style while they lay injured on the floor. Reports also state that the pizza delivery lads were shot after the soldiers had been hit, indicating that they were deliberatly targeted.

Tell me honestly how you can justify the cold blooded killing of these people?

Just a shame that personal attacks are against T&C of this site, because I have a few choice adjectives for you at the minute, sonshine.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by The_Coo

really?

I was living in the south in the 80's and 90's and can tell you with complete certainty that the irish security forces were pretty relentless in their pursuit of anyone who was a known terrorist, according to their own intel.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Daily Mail are reporting some disturbing developments:

The statement reads as a warning, that this is the start of a new campaign - the Real IRA suggest it has the arms, finance and experts to sustain a significant terrorist campaign.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Daily Mail are reporting some disturbing developments:

The statement reads as a warning, that this is the start of a new campaign - the Real IRA suggest it has the arms, finance and experts to sustain a significant terrorist campaign.

Disturbing indeed.

But why? surley if recent (and not so recent) history teaches us anything its that terrorism makes little military sense.
If anything it just galvanizes the victims against the terrorists.

Has there been any sort of census/poll recently in the northern Ireland about peoples opinion on re-union with the south?

[edit on 8-3-2009 by TheSilentProtagonist]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   
look to a bigger picture, the threat of terrorism has been used in Germany in 1930's escaltiing to WWII, Terrorist Action results in Afghanistan to save the poppy crop and the pipeline. threat of terrorism WMD did it for iraq.

Now southern Irish won't vote for a united Europe. Ireland needs convincing of the benefits of being untied in Europe, so lets start up the violence and get together a Euro defence policy. Allow the Euro forces in to look afer the "terrorists" allow the slow errision of national protection and viola - lisbon treaty is signed...

Neat and all done in a couple of years with collateral deaths of ???

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
yeah right ... there was many a case of terrorists living in the republic wanted by the law in Northern Ireland and the Irish givernment would never extradite these men and women.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Some of the news reports have been saying that the soldiers who were murdered were due to be deployed to Afghanistan very soon. Very, very sad and very alarming too.

I really hope that both the Catholic and Protestant/Republican and Unionist communities come out and stand together to denounce this attack. There are many issues that remain to be solved in Northern Ireland and these must be solved peacefully and democratically.

As for the alleged American connection... if it's true, then shame on those Americans who supplied even a single cent. They ought to be extradited to the UK to stand trial. It's sad to see that, even after 9/11, some Americans haven't learned. The US government really has to crack down on them.

As for sending the Army back in, that would be an absolutely incorrect response. The power-sharing deal is clearly still pretty fragile, and this matter has to be dealt with by a combination of the PSNI (primarily), MI5 and the Irish authorities. As others have rightly said, sending in the British Army would do nothing but reverse the gains of the last twenty years that people such as John Major, Tony Blair and Bertie Ahern worked hard to achieve. It isn't in anyone's interest but the terrorists for Northern Ireland to return to the dreadful situation in which it found itself during the 1970s-80s.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Isnt this a place where gun control is the "law of the land?"

Hmmm....sounds like thats working well for them..

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I'm sorry but this stinks to the high heavens. From what I hear the pizza men were not involved, the terrorists were not hiding in the van, but in a vehicle behind them, apparently the soldiers managed to return fire and the pizza men were shot in the crossfire.
We have the return of British special forces to Northern Ireland and within a few days a "drive by" shooting at an army base. Drive bys are virtually unheard of in Ireland, but I do recall 2 SAS men being arrested in Iraq for driving around Basra, dressed as Iraqi civilians shooting at people. Could this be special forces announcing their return.
False flag comes to mind. I know that a recognised code word has been used but the security forces must know these codewords otherwise they can't be recogniesd and everyone knows all the terrorist organisations in Northern Ireland are infiltrated to the hilt by spies and double agents and the like.
I had to put that out there, the finger of blame was being pointed way to quickly for my liking, especially after the announcements made by the government over the last week or two.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join