It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
The British government deals with Gerry Adams because he was voted into parliament by his devotees and fellow Sinn Fein members. Since Sinn Fein publickly went against violence and helped the IRA to disarm he has every right to take his seat in parliament and represent his people. He does not represent terrorists!

You missed the point I was originally making to the guy who was causing Gerry Adams a terrorist.

What I said showed how he is technically NOT a terrorist.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dermo

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
The British government deals with Gerry Adams because he was voted into parliament by his devotees and fellow Sinn Fein members. Since Sinn Fein publickly went against violence and helped the IRA to disarm he has every right to take his seat in parliament and represent his people. He does not represent terrorists!

You missed the point I was originally making to the guy who was causing Gerry Adams a terrorist.

What I said showed how he is technically NOT a terrorist.

Sorry about that. Although most accept that Gerry Adams was in the upper eschelons of the IRA in the past, he deserves credit for turning his back on violence and helping with the peace process. You have to remember that he, and the likes of Paisley, really did have to swallow their pride and forget their differences and hatreds just to sit at the same table opposite one another.
I just hope that all concerned, on both sides of the conflict, keep a cool head and don't go back to the old ways of tit-for-tat shootings and bombings.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Absence of Self
Folks..

Please.

This isn't about who did what to whom.

Blaming each other for old or perceived wrongs is what these ass-hats want.

Thats the point.

The situation is the one we're dealing with NOW!

The English, British, Scots, Irish, Welsh or the little bloody green men did not pull the trigger.

BIGOTS DID.

To use that as an excuse to start screaming about injustice?

Well...

Thats how wars start.

And I'm sorry kiddies but I'm too old and Ive seen enough of that.
Don't fall into the same damn trap that has plagued us for so many years.

HEAR HEAR!!!, one of the most sensible things i've read in ages. Please please please don't let this escalate!! We all understand that there have been simmering tensions over the past few years but they've thankfully been kept in check. If the dambs break now.............

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I was talking to a friend of mine from Ireland today and she mentioned the shooting. What she said was, I thought, very significant. She told me that if the only way to achieve a united Ireland was through violence then she didn't want Ireland to unite at all.

I think that sums up the attitudes of a great many people today; violence has been rejected by the majority, and Northern Ireland has changed so much since the peace process made headway. The only way forward, whether you want Northern Ireland to remain part of the United Kingdom or to join the Republic of Ireland (or, as a minority seem to want, to become an independent state of its own according to some opinion polls) is via the peaceful democratic process.

The unit these soldiers belonged to is now on its way to Afghanistan to fight in Helmand province. Apparently a group of soldiers decided to order pizza before they left the following day, and that's when this act of terrorism was carried out.

I think this attack will certainly have an impact on power-sharing at Stormont though. The key will be Sinn Féin; although they object to Northern Ireland remaining part of the UK, if they don't come out clearly against the violence then they risk breaking the present coalition with the DUP, which will in turn throw Stormont into chaos and see direct rule from London return. That's not a step forward, so it's something that needs to be avoided if at all possible. Incidents like this will test the Stormont assembly since it's still ultimately divided.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by SCOTLANDBELIEVER

Firslty, I'd like to pass my sympathies to the families of those killed and injured in this terrible incident.

OK, a few things about it I find a little bit iffy....

Only the day before it (Friday) there was uproar from the nationalist community and politicians about the news that a special reconnaissance force had been deployed to help combat dissident republicans. Now, this is mainly a conspiracy website so I have to bring up the subject of false flag terrorism. Is it not possible that this can happen in "our wee country" just the same as the theories have appeared of such an attack on 9/11 and 7/7? It could easily have been arranged to garner support for the intrduction of intelligence forces to the province. Not saying I truly believe this but it is a possibility?? No?

Also, in the various press conferences following the attack, some things struck me as not quite right. eg with the commanding officer today (Monday) when asked, clearly, why no one pursued the gunmen after the shooting he replied "....we will continue to pursue the perpetrators until they are caught...." not the answer to the question I thought... and when asked why no one from the army returned fire the commanding officer looked sternly at the reporter and said something about firing into a closed cluster of people...now apparently the gunmen were able, after shooting the soldiers, to go up to them and stand over them and fire many more shots into their victims lying on the ground....closed cluster?? And in a PSNI interview, the officer said this would have been weeks in the planning...how did the gunmen know the soldiers had orderd pizza at that particular time?

I've also noticed that so much of the press and news coverage seem to be focusing more on the fact that Gerry Adams and Sinn Fein in general are condemning the murder. Now of course this has to be commended, given their history, but they are part of our government...of course they have to condem it.

And Gordon Brown saying the murderers WILL be brought to justice.....Is that the same justice that failed to prosecute anyone for the Omagh bomb, the Northern Bank robbery and the Robert McCartney murder???

Sorry for the rant, just wanted to get it off my chest!!!

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

so whens the UK going to launch Air/artiliery Strikes against them in retaliation
with a dispropriate attack? (thinking of another country)

reading have your say on the bbc
its ironic how many people from the US are justifying this attack
some going as far as saying its against a Military rule with other intresting views.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by bodrul

reading have your say on the bbc
its ironic how many people from the US are justifying this attack
some going as far as saying its against a Military rule with other intresting views.

I mentioned something similar in an earlier post on this thread. I've also seen on other boards over the last 24 hours, many Americans making similar justifications without being aware of any irony or hypocrisy.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
A police man has just been ambushed and killed in Craigavon, Co Armagh. No one has claimed responsibility as yet.
My sincerest sympathy to that man's family.

I assume this "dissedent republican" faction is hoping that the financial crisis will limit resourses available to combat them. However, the most breaking the peace process will achieve is a return to the bloody stalemate of the past. Hopeless scenario.

posted on Mar, 9 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by feoil

Just watching that on the news now, very sad.

news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf

Yes, you did. Two young lads are lying on slabs tonight with another four fighting for their lives. Don't make this incident part of any jaded personal political vendeta about overseas policy in a different conflict.

Have a bit of respect please.

I truly hope that this does not lead towards another period of so called "Troubles". A major portion of My family came from the Derry area, of course much too far back to consider recent, but I consider the entire situation a complete and utter shame. I would enjoy the opportunity to visit the area, but if I want to be shot at, I only need to save the Plane ticket, and drive a few miles down the road from where I currently reside.

I hope that the Republicans and Unionists can unite, in order to go after the trash which is currently causing the recent heartache and violence. Hopefully a relatively small band of juvenile scum will not cause the collapse of a maturely brokered, fragile peace.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I have just woken up to the news this morning that a PSNI officer has been shot and killed responding to a call.

I am saddened by this deterioration in NI, and I hope to God that people see sense and help bring these despicable human beings to justice.

This is not going to work, when are these dissident IRA members going to learn that they do not have the support to continue this type of action. I hope that the NI/Uk government show constraint here, and use the resources they currently have to bring these people to justice.

But my most worrying part about this is the UDA/UVF loyalist groups, they never decommissioned their arms, and as before are very capable of retaliation.

I pray that these groups show massive constraint in this time, because we do not want any more dead people on the streets of NI.

[edit on 10-3-2009 by celticniall]

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by feoil

More than anything I think these dissidents are hoping for a massive over-reaction from the UK/NI governments. The best thing that can happen for these dissidents is for a massive re-deployment of soldiers and army personnel back on the streets of NI.
If this happens, we will gradually see a rise in support for these dissidents over time as many have bad memories of the army from the Troubles. Then they can justify their attacks.

All that will achieve is attack, then retaliation, and more if the same..

We cannot allow that to happen, do not let them win. The NI people have voted for peace, and the NI people do not want to return to the bad times.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:10 AM
link   
The continuity IRA have taken responsibilty for the shooting of the PSNI officer last night. There are also reports that the UDA have re armed and are on stand by.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Harlequin
reply to post by tristar

and you also seem to neglect to mention the rioting of said catholics in both derry and belfast and how even after bloody sunday , the para`s had to defend the very same cathloics from protestant attacks only a few weeks later.

Oh no, im not neglecting anything, since you are quoting that even, can you possibly find the News Clippings which blitzed the msm. Or should i remind you that the iron lady did openly state the use of nukes against the Falklands.

-Hypothetical scenario, if a nation today was to openly threat the U.S. with a Nuclear strike if it did not pull out of Iraq or Kuwait or Saudi Arabia, how do you think the U.S. would respond?.
Oh wait on, Iran has threatened to wipe of the map the Israel nation and we all know whats has been going on with Iran and the impending air strike's. What im saying this world is not perfect, so you should point the finger at anyone, but as life itself continuously repeats a natural evolution cycle ( the fittest will survive) so to does the same criteria apply to friend or foe.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:41 AM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

Continuity IRA are the same organisation as the Real IRA, both work together. With the rapid attacks, it is pretty obvious the Provisional IRA members are now active within the dissident movement.

Town searches after phone warning

Searches are being carried out in Lurgan, County Armagh, after reports of a device being left near the town's police station.
Police said they had received a telephone warning and were carrying out searches in the Church Walk, Wellington Street and North Street areas.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

BBC Northern Ireland

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:49 AM
link   
so where's the proof the provisionals are involved? Its finger pointing like that, that will lead to escalated violence and a breakdown in communications. Also the CIRA and the RIRA are two seperate para militaries, they have worked together before but they are by no means the same group.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:50 AM
link   

More than anything I think these dissidents

Now now, let's call them what they are, terrorists!

I've noticed that media is not calling them the latter but rather the former, the mind control seems to be working. Only Muslims can be called the T-word these days.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   
reply to post by onetruesaxon

exactly who benefits from a police state in n ireland, not the catholics.

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 05:57 AM
link   
I dont understand your question Andy? PSNI have come a long way from the days of the RUC and in many parts of N.I catholic police officers are a majority. The people of Northern Ireland are afforded equal rights whether they are catholic or protestant and I dont see how the catholics are victims of a 'police state?'

posted on Mar, 10 2009 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Continuity IRA is not confirmed, only reported by the PA.

No official claim has been made (yet)

The security alert on the UK mainland has been increased, metropolitan police believes violence could spread across the Irish sea.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join