It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Two die in 'barbaric' Army attack

Two male military personnel have been killed in a shooting outside an army barracks in Northern Ireland.
Police have begun an investigation into the attack
Four other people were wounded during the attack at the Masserene base in Antrim.
Shots were fired from a passing car and there were two long bursts of gunfire, according to reports.
Immediately afterwards sirens could be heard inside the military barracks, which is located on the edge of the town.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Link

[edit on 7-3-2009 by SCOTLANDBELIEVER]

Mod Note: Review This Link before making BAN submissions: Instructions for the Breaking News Forums

[edit on 3/7/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Reports are 4 are seriously injured, 2 dead and although no organistation has claimed responsibility they are stating its linked to IRA. ( who are just as bad as any terrorists). A Pizza delivery van drove up to gate and the doors opened with gunmen inside who entered the base with automatic gunfire heard.

(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 3/7/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:52 PM
link   
news.bbc.co.uk...

Here's a link.

Please provide them in the future.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ragman

Apologies. www.skynews.com

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by SCOTLANDBELIEVER

Let's hope this is an isolated incident , as I think we can all do without worrying about the troubles over there starting up again.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Theres a been a decent spell of peace in Northern ireland for a few years now with all political parties in Government working for the people

Lets hope these scumbags dont get away with these sickening terrorist murders ....

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Violence will go up sharply as things get worse. Ireland doesnt have the best response to things that happen in their country.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
There is speculation that tonights attack may be in direct response to the recently publicised move of putting members of the UKSF/SRR into the provence to gather int on dissadent republican activity.However this is not an isolated incident. There have been numerous attempts on members of the security forces in the last few months, including attempted shoots against police officers and at least one major bombing attemp against Abercorn Bks, Ballykinler (300 pounder intercepted in the back of a van on the way to the camp).

Ireland doesnt have the best response to things that happen in their country.

It may be argued that the British don't have the best response to troubles in my country, but that's another debate.

Condolences to the families of those lost and injured tonight.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
If it was the IRA, I suspect we will now have to invade Ireland. Is that how it will work? Do what we want, when we want because good verses evil will always prevail? Eye for an eye! Kill! Okay I got ahead of myself....

reply to post by Tentickles

As a bisexual female I abhor your avatar, can you change it please?

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 08:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by pluckynoonez
If it was the IRA, I suspect we will now have to invade Ireland. Is that how it will work? Do what we want, when we want because good verses evil will always prevail? Eye for an eye! Kill! Okay I got ahead of myself....

Yes, you did. Two young lads are lying on slabs tonight with another four fighting for their lives. Don't make this incident part of any jaded personal political vendeta about overseas policy in a different conflict.

Have a bit of respect please.

posted on Mar, 7 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by pluckynoonez

change it? hahahahaha.
its her avatar, get over yourself.
I think its hot. If I could only find a woman with a tongue like that.

My god this country is going to hell in a hand basket.

On Topic..
How in the hell did they get passed the gate as pizza delivery guys?
I mean damn when I was on base they even searched the pizza guys cars visually before letting them through. Sup with the lack of security?
Am I missing something here?

[edit on 7-3-2009 by Common Good]

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 04:32 AM
link   
Condolence to the relatives of the victims.
PaddyInf, it is very concerning what you say (thank you for the update btw), it would be a shame if this would happen after all the efforts and the BLOOD spent in order to bring some peace in that wonderful country. If they are some independent dissident republican, then we can speculate that some NEW front is being created somewhere by someone not just unknown but impossible to monitor somewhat, which finances, fire power, organization etc are unknown: that would be the start of a new conflict, may God impede it.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:07 AM
link   
The attack took place near where my family lives in Northern Ireland, I was Christened in the Church just down the road from the barracks.

Judging by the lack of response, condemnation from Sinn Fein, it is starting to become obvious - the IRA Army Council knew. The implications would be huge, the British government would have to know longer acknowledge the cease-fire with the Provisional IRA.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by internos

Islamic extremists do not need to attack Britain any more - they can just fund and arm the Real IRA.

The clerics in Dublin advocate financial and political support for the IRA.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 05:13 AM
link   
I do tend to agree with the comments that is it any different that terrorists internally who have killed over 2000 people over the times are any different than those we jointly face abroad.
Stop the funding and they wont have the capability to carry out the tasks - or do what Thatcher did ( the ONLY good thing she ever did) and have the SAS chap a few doors during the night......

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Dissident Republicans are still financed by "Irish" Americans in Boston and New York. Tragically, a minority of America still believes in funding and supporting terrorism.

The Ted Kennedy fan club are the biggest financials backers of the terrorist wing of the republican movement.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:02 AM
link   
Sinn Fein have condemned it too..
(Bottom of the artical)

Brown condemns N Ireland killings
Sinn Fein President Gerry Adams described the shooting as an attack on the "peace process" and said it was "wrong and counter-productive".

"Those responsible have no support, no strategy to achieve a United Ireland," he said.

"Their intention is to bring British soldiers back onto the streets. They want to destroy the progress of recent times and to plunge Ireland back into conflict."

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Absence of Self

Hate to agree with Gerry Adams, but the dissidents want the soldiers back on the streets. That's the best method to re-accumulate support in the republican community - even gain support from the Provisional IRA.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Well, I don't know about re-accumulating support in the republican community since as far as i can tell it has never really diminished and now exists in a 'more or less' political sphere.

The republicans have now actually started to achieve things that don't involve blowing my primary school up again and have a corresponding level of support for it.

And thats just exactly the problem.
What the hell is this supposed to achieve?

A Splinter group successfully starting a civil war won't bring the Provo's around to their side.

It will make them a target of Everyone, many of whom aren't exactly known for being nice law abiding citizens.

posted on Mar, 8 2009 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The question will be can this dissident group successfully attack the mainland, which would be an alarming development. Remember, last month or so, a car bomb was abandoned a few yards from a barracks in South Down.

A family member of mine was killed by the IRA, so my thoughts and prayers are with the families involved.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join